• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Creative Cloud applications on Ubuntu/Linux

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud does not support Ubuntu/Linux. 

Please see the minimum system requirements needed to use Creative Cloud:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 693 Replies 693
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2015 Aug 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been hearing this for the past 30 years but the progress seems to be very slow indeed.  Is it because Linux Developers are hobbyists and so they only do something if they feel like doing something?  Me thinks so.

Well I'm sure you have, I have too. However There's already a program out there that might be a strong rival for PS on Mac and it's fairly new and works pretty good.

Second I talk to programmers regularly and there are 2 programmers that are really close to this goal on linux. so yes me thinks its coming sooner than you thinks. Just saying.  And not all are hobbyists some take it very seriously and are paid to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2015 Aug 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Created by hobbyists? Get your facts straight bud. Linux is used by multi-million dollar companies. Not geeks in their basement. Do you use search engines? You use the Linux kernel almost every day whether you know it or not. http://www.linuxfoundation.org/sites/main/files/publications/whowriteslinux.pdf. Keep your confirmation bias to yourself btw.

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

nemopaice1 wrote:

the longer Adobe remains stubborn and arrogant about Linux, the faster developers will achieve something better or equal enough to adobe that people will absolutely start making the switch.

I have been hearing this for the past 30 years but the progress seems to be very slow indeed.  Is it because Linux Developers are hobbyists and so they only do something if they feel like doing something?  Me thinks so.

Microsoft, Apple, Adobe and Google are run as a business and they employ people to write codes for them and things do get done pretty fast as far as I can see.

Is Linux likely to come out of the incubator in the near future, do you know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've actually been able to use CC products in Linux under Wine? If true - that's amazing!  How much functionality works and how much doesn't? Several years ago I was trying to use Photoshop through Wine and it totally didn't happen. Either Wine has gotten an awful lot better or Adobe is now writing code that Wine can handle.

At that time I found a historical document showing all the versions of Windows Photoshop and how well each version worked in Wine. Most were totally unusable, only one or two would even come up enough to see the user interface and allow use of some of the tools.

If Adobe would actually write totally Wine compliant Windows code this thread would be a lot shorter - might not be active any more...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're talking several versions back and not 100% fully working probably.  A mix of Wine, add-ons and using PlayOnLinux. Maybe it is just better to stick with Win products because it is so much easier to get in through flash exploits.  Plus now that Win10 is free (bait for 1st year), smart I might say to get people to like it. I don't know why we ask Adobe to port stuff to Linux when tthey can't get their software working properly on Mac or Windows because I'm on previous version of Photoshop because after update,  now it crashes every time I try to start it. Tried updating video driver,  update and Googling the error code. I figured by now using c++ or c# or whatever they use to design their applications, there aren't any compilers to wwork on multiple o/ses

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

filmographie wrote:

You've actually been able to use CC products in Linux under Wine? If true - that's amazing!  How much functionality works and how much doesn't? Several years ago I was trying to use Photoshop through Wine and it totally didn't happen. Either Wine has gotten an awful lot better or Adobe is now writing code that Wine can handle.

At that time I found a historical document showing all the versions of Windows Photoshop and how well each version worked in Wine. Most were totally unusable, only one or two would even come up enough to see the user interface and allow use of some of the tools.

If Adobe would actually write totally Wine compliant Windows code this thread would be a lot shorter - might not be active any more...

If you use PlayOnLinux, you can install PS CC 2014 (I haven't tried 2015 yet). You just choose the cs6 version and point to the CC version you have. It downloads everything it needs to make wine work with it. I own cs4 and it works perfectly and fast. I downloaded the trial of CC 2014 and it installed and ran perfect too, it just ran a little slower. All functionality works without a problem. Lightroom ran great too, although I had a hiccup on first run while importing my images. but after I restarted it, I didn't have any issues. PlayOnLinux works kind of like a middle man between wine tricks and wine. But about 90% of everything I ever installed this way works great.

I would prefer it natively on linux just because Microsoft put a really bad taste in my mouth on too many occasions. Having said that, I love Linux. It's not perfect for everyone. IMO it is way better than Windows. but nowhere as good as Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌have you had any luck with premiere and after effects in wine? I couldn't get it to work but I don't think I tried it with playonlinux. They are the only two windows programs I need now and though native Linux would be much better, I could make do with wine support if it's there since the workstation I use is powerful enough for 4k work but I'm currently only working on 1080p and the extra power can easily run the compatibility layer. windows is slow, and the newest version windows 10 spies on everything you do with it and reports to microsoft because windows is losing its viability as a product but windows customers and their data are now the product Microsoft is focusing on. Mac systems just don't have the features, value and processing power of a custom Linux system - a two year old 6 core Mac Pro is still more expensive than haswell-E 16 core dual Xeon custom system so Linux custom builds are what I love to use, premiere and ae start working in Linux and they become the only systems I use since my custom windows system exists purely for them and will lose windows when it can

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A year ago, approximately, I went back to Windows and signed the Creative Cloud. With absolute certainty if there was a native version, I come back to Linux.

In short, I am a customer, who pays the monthly fee, expressing the desire to have the Creative Cloud running on Linux. The same desire of many others like me.

We know that Adobe is not obligated to develop such compatibility, but we have the right to express our wishes as to what we pay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which tools are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd just like to say that I've invested a great deal of time learning how to use Adobe products over the years and am able to immediately get results when I use them - whether on Windows or OS-X. I can move from one environment to another with no loss of time (we have both platforms - as well as Linux) and it is fairly easy to migrate from one software release to another.

When I try to use a tool like GIMP or Blender it takes a LOT of TIME (for me) to get any work done. This is primarily because I haven't taken the time to learn that tool - not because the tool isn't capable of doing the work. The same can be said for using Media Composer, FCP or other editing tools I haven't needed to use very much because I've been mostly working with Premiere for many years. This is why very few Avid editors are willing to switch to FCP or Premiere Pro. You'd have to start learning all 3 editing tools at once to be comfortable switching back & forth - and that is what new college graduates are trained to do.

In a production environment time lost in trying to learn a new tool is money down the drain. That is why I stick with Linux for my servers - I don't have to struggle with the usual Microsoft "what did you call it this time and where did you put it?" crap whenever a new version comes out. So I already know the Linux environment and several varieties of GUIs as well as command line tools. It would be very nice to be able to use the Adobe CC tools if I'm on my Linux workstation without having to keep another workstation handy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2015 Jul 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to chime in. Like many, the only thing holding me back from permanently switching to Ubuntu is the lack of Adobe products which I must use professionally

I believe there would be a much larger Linux market share if just a few more software suites were available. Valve has helped improve the Linux ecosystem tremendously by encouraging Linux game development. All we need now are Adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2015 Aug 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would switch to Linux if the where just some more complex programs like the CC Cloud and Cinema 4D for it. Sadly emulating it doesn't work all that well if you are starting to work with plugins so it is currently not an option for me to work with Linux.
But I agree it is definitely needed for Adobe to support Linux! Also it shouldn't be that much more work considering that they support Apples OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2015 Aug 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this question was asked about 3 yrs ago and still not answered... where is abode support?? what are they waiting for?? if adobe think they will have to distribute for free they are wrong i bet everyone is coming forward for payment all we need is linux version.

We love you adobe, don't make us suffer for this..  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 03, 2015 Aug 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌tthis thread is 3 years old but the question is much older than that. It was 5 years ago that the getsatisfaction thread was closed because of too many responses and the request was put "on the table" of Adobe and the petition was made 7 years ago. Since all three of these events, no one from Adobe has given us an answer. There have been no staff comments here that know what they're talking about and the mvp mytaxsite clearly isn't providing any official statements from Adobe but instead giving a few of their views based on limited knowledge, since you seem to know little of Linux on desktops (I have no doubt you've used it on phones tablets or servers) pehaps either provide official answers with quotes from Adobe or get to know the Linux desktop system before trying to point out its features as being problems. Yes it's open source but it's software doesn't have to be, I run proprietary nvidia drivers and other software, many of which are payed for. I know more Mac users of creative cloud that pirate that software alone than Linux users that have ever pirated anything on Linux, and just to be know I know as many Linux users as I do Mac and the number of Linux users I know keeps growing.

linux is used in most cases not because we don't have to pay, but because we like it, it performs faster than windows (possibly Mac but I'm yet to see a Mac run on hardware as good as my Linux system to compare it to), gives much more choices for better hardware options, its better for certain software and gives us a better experience overall. The lack of Adobe cc is the only problem with that experience currently. So why with literally thousands asking for it is it still missing? It isn't much work to get software ported from Mac to Linux, even windows to Linux isn't that hard these days If your techniques are from this century, and that is speaking from experience.

PEople have talked about shareholders, have the shareholders been told that thousands need this and will pay for it, and many others already have or will cancel subscriptions and use the alternatives if they can. Because what shareholder would be against very little effort widening the market and stopping existing customers leaving?

IT was mentioned that anyone can write software for Linux but companies make Software for the market, but a huge chunI of adobes potential market is Linux based. Anyone can write for Linux, it's easy becausd that's where I started and the only thing I changed to release stuff for windows was to compile and package the stuff with a few different settings when packaging, and while this isn't always completely the case, if you make it for one OS, the only stopping you making it for other OS is needing something that only runs on the first OS like directx on windows but having a Mac version proves that this isn't the case.

We want official answers from Adobe as to why we've been ignored, lied to, told to go away, told to follow the three we are in or just disregarded because Linux would be perfect for cc, it's both wanted and needed so this is either incompetence or the worst customer service I've ever come across. Either way, I am not happy with Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The more reason Adobe should push something for *nix o/s is all the screwed up security holes that are appearing on a daily basis.

I am tired of cleaning computers up, Windows is a cyst pool of viruses and zero day hacks, phishing, spyware, browser hacks and so on.  I started transitioning all friends or family to latest version of Ubuntu and Wine, I have not touched their computers in years.  Meaning that I no longer have to worry about spyware, browser hacks and misc.

Wine can only do so much.

I have tried the Hackintosh route with no luck.

My AirBook 13 is too damn small, I like my 17 inch laptop i7/16gbram that's 1/4 the price of a macbook pro/retina

People will stop pirating crap trying to backport PS7/to work with Wine or use VM/route.

Flash is insanely unsecured with multiple zero day exploits out there.

We've got OpenOffice or LibreOffice that's another blow to MS.

I'm sure many of us are willing to pay/donate to Wine or similar addon to make CC work.

My damn CC2015 PS won't work on IBM anyway because some stupid update now.

I just got another system done not long ago with Ubuntu 15, WineHQ, WineTricks, all the addons using Cairo-Dock

and PlayOnLinux -- It looks so nice, almost looks like a MacOSX and you can install all MS Office suites, via PlayOnLinux

and you're limited to PS CS6 If I recall correctly, maybe we should focus on Wine/PlayOnLinux and see if they can make

the CC work on *nix O/Ses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Adobe should bring out an Adobe OS based on whatever flavour of Linux they like. That would give CC a tighter integration with the OS. Less bugs, more efficiency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they did that then Apple and Microsoft would gang up and run Adobe out of business by not allowing Adobe products on their systems. Just like Steve Jobs did with his Flash BS that is costing us developers a lot of money to learn a new Platform that is no where near as developed as Flash and port all of our existing projects. Flash is essentially dead. Could you imagine the Big two doing the same to lets say they PDF format. That is exactly what they would do if Adobe created their own OS. Corporate Black-male stifling innovation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They could not or would not never do that. What do you think everyone would do if there was no creative cloud on Windows or MacOS but there was a free Adobe OS? How many millions of users would Microsoft and Apple lose? Adobe wouldn't need either of the two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not underestimate the power and money those two companies have. Apple single handily killed Flash in two years with misinformation and lies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do full time development in Flash Pro, and get weekly updates to Flash Player and AIR, as well as seeing lots of Flash Pro features coming along. I also use it for creating HTML5 games and activities.

It doesn't feel dead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure there are laws-suites if they start hatching each other. I stopped developing for flash many years ago.  Personally I am tired of having to update my flash player weekly and using FF lots of times I have to do it manually.  Flash is a cyst pool of viruses and exploits, you do not have to visit a shady site to get infected, Yahoo will infect you through their stupid advertisement campaign by not screening the ads. Flash for me only works on trusted sites, my NoScript, ABP, Disconnect and uBlock do a great job.  Moving Adobe purely to the Cloud and having almost an empty shell on your desktop I don't see a big re-write to make it work on some other o/s other than MS and Mac. I won't even go into Java because it is worst than Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DDArt wrote:

I'm sure there are laws-suites if they start hatching each other. .

Of course it is illegal to collude with each other in business but Linux users won't understand this.  they thing that a corporation like Adobe are running a charity to give away a software on which they can't make any profit.

Don't they understand that if there is any money to be made in Linux products everybody out there will invest heavily to capitalize on it but the fact of the matter is there is no money to be made because Corporates are not going to invest in Linux systems.  First there is a cost of Staff training now corporates don't like wasting money and time on training staff especially to teach them how to use a computer.  To use a computer is natural these days because every household in the land has got a PC system running Windows.  Why would anybody in their right mind spend money and time to start a training program to learn Linux.

Windows works fine so why spend time on Linux.  What benefit is there in it?  Linux people can make their own products if they are so desperate but the Linux people I come across are either academics, enthusiasts, hobbyists or jobless who have nothing better to do.

Mind you, there were some good Linux products such as php, cms, apache and others but the uptake of these was so limited among Linux users that they migrated the code to Windows and they were surprised to find the uptake took off dramatically.  People like using Windows because of its ease of use.  With Linux all I see is something like this:

* OS X / Linux: What is a file?  <http://youtu.be/_dMbXGLW9PI>

* Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu:  <http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE>

* Mint KDE working with folders:  <http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0>

* Mint KDE creating files:  <http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8>

* Mint KDE help:  <http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8>

* Mint KDE general navigation:  <http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI>

* Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs?  <http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA>

* Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux:  <http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk>

* OS / Word Processor Comparison:  <http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c>

It doesn't give me any confidence at all in Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rubbish.

Nuke, Resolve, Flame, Smoke, Maya, Mocha etc. All the major post houses run

the big software on Linux. There are huge advantages to running video apps

on Linux. If it's good then it makes money. It really is that simple. Adobe

are the only major player in the world of video who don't offer a Linux

variant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all KDE is Junk. Nothing but Visual Bloat. Gnome is stable, simple, and fast.

Second, Why would somebody make software for Linux when ever house hold has a PC running Windows? I will tell you. Because how many of those House Holds have Power User Creative professionals living there? Not A lot. We uses specialized highly advanced software and we are asking for a specialized highly advanced system to meet our needs. This is not a complicated concept. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Windows works fine so why spend time on Linux"

Because if you think Windows "works fine" then you haven't used anything else.  Windows is a mess.  OSX is better, but is slowly becoming the same mess that Windows is.  Your post indicates that you really know nothing about Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

Don't they understand that if there is any money to be made in Linux products everybody out there will invest heavily to capitalize on it but the fact of the matter is there is no money to be made because Corporates are not going to invest in Linux systems.  First there is a cost of Staff training now corporates don't like wasting money and time on training staff especially to teach them how to use a computer.  To use a computer is natural these days because every household in the land has got a PC system running Windows.  Why would anybody in their right mind spend money and time to start a training program to learn Linux.

You kind of gave the answer to the question at hand right there. Adobe products are more and more focused on the home users who don't want to invest time to learn to use software, it's not made for the big guys who need serious solutions for serious problems. Take the easiest example: running a render farm. On Windows is highly expensive as far as licensing costs and remote maintenance work are concerned, on Mac OS it is unreasonable because of limited and pricy hardware so Linux is the best choice.

Which makes the conclusion quite simple: don't use their software. In the film/video world, the reasons to do otherwise fade as we speak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines