• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Creative Cloud applications on Ubuntu/Linux

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud does not support Ubuntu/Linux. 

Please see the minimum system requirements needed to use Creative Cloud:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 693 Replies 693
LEGEND ,
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to you these super computers are unable to use Quickbooks web-based accounting software or run open-source accounting programs like Gnucash

GNUCASH is good Accounting software!! Is this what a Linux user uses?  No wonder they don't have he concept of business in their thinking.

"Linux is the most popular operating system among supercomputers

this is the most sensible thing you have said.  I should perhaps invest millions in this so called SuperComputer to run 100 bucks Adobe software!  Very good idea.  Just for interest sake do you own one of these? If not why not?  you are a serious Linux user, are you not?  Windows is not good for you.  You do need one these superComputers.

Frankly, you guys should do something more worth while than worrying about Adobe software packages for Linux.  It is not going to happen in your lifetime.

Linux users are confirming what I have always believed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gnucash may be good for small business but I did mention Quickbooks online as an option for more "serious" accounting work. Nothing could be better than using mytaxsite.co.uk though which asks for "handsome" donations to keep the for-profit site running.

Frankly, you guys should do something more worth while than worrying about Adobe software packages for Linux.  It is not going to happen in your lifetime.

In case you missed my previous post...

Linux is becoming more attractive to the general population and as Android has smashed IOS because it is open source (and Linux based), given time Linux will do the same with non-open source desktop operating systems. While some Adobe products are great it seems they do have an affinity to Microsoft and Macintosh and they are afraid of the open source future before us.

That being said I would encourage everyone who loves Linux to get behind the Blender project. I have made high quality commercial videos using nothing but Blender. They have already developed a wide range of professional tools including photo realistic 3D graphics modelling, camera tracking, video compositing, special effects and a game engine. This is the future Adobe is trying to suppress, or at least delay. Instead of pledging to drop money on Adobe as soon as they provide Linux compatible products we should deep-six Adobe by dropping money on the development of open-source software which is already on the brink of eclipsing Adobe. If open source software development received funding equivalent to one tenth of 1% of Adobe's revenue (see page 60), Adobe would be gone.

Maybe switching to Blender could help you avoid having to ask for donations on your business website. Are you sure it's Linux users that...

don't have he concept of business in their thinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is becoming inevitable... I believe many companies can learn today with Microsoft:

Run Bash on Ubuntu on Windows | Building Apps for Windows

The only conclusion I can take is, this porting will need to start soon or later, and for sure it will be better doing it before it turns a problem or even a necessity.
Free OSes are a opportunity, not a "dictatorship of free". their users need paid services and products as everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 03, 2016 Apr 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft is trying to prevent the inevitable. The hope is that they can offer the superior productivity of the Linux environment to users that are tempted to ditch Windows. Likely though, they are doing nothing more that making Windows users acquainted with the Linux environment which, in turn, should make the switch even more tempting.

It seems they don't have the same stranglehold on HP and Dell as they do on Adobe...

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/ubuntu/index.html

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/555/campaigns/xps-linux-laptop?c=us&l=en&s=biz

The real game changer comes when Dell and other PC makers offer Ubuntu as an OS alternative for all of their PCs for a discount. But for now, having the option of buying a laptop with Ubuntu factory installed is creating a paradigm shift for Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You obviously did not read my post where I wrote how the film industry and other companies such as google are beginning to use linux and even prefer it over windows. And I even attached a reliable source, something you have not been able to attach so far.

And as far as a spreadsheet goes, you might as well do that on google documents, its easier to share with others anyways.

If you want to make an argument, then please read other people's posts, because thats exactly what they are saying. Linux is becoming an industry standard. Sure, windows is still popular, but many fields such as the film industry are moving on to Linux. And tbh, you dont purchase creative cloud to make spreadsheets. Is this honestly an argument for if creative cloud should exist on Linux, or which is the better OS? People that work for audio production and video production want fast results which Linux is more likely to give.

You talk a lot about tax software. Since when does taxes have anything to do with adobe creative cloud? This an adobe forum, please talk about adobe products are relatable topics.

And apparently google isnt a company that does serious work, after all, they are using linux among other things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You obviously did not read my post where I wrote how the film industry and other companies such as google are beginning to use linux and even prefer it over windows. And I even attached a reliable source, something you have not been able to attach so far.

so for a few minority, you want Adobe to spend millions to create software fr them.  Is this so?  Adobe wants to make mega-bucks selling to people who have computers in the bedroom.  They are not interested in few people who are using Linux.  Anyway, why isn't anybody making anything for Linux that you can use?

And as far as a spreadsheet goes, you might as well do that on google documents, its easier to share with others anyways

this is where your Linux intelligence comes here.  Google Docs isn't able to do Industry standard Macros so why waste time on it?

If you want to make an argument, then please read other people's posts

I don't have time to make arguments with Linux people.  There is no money in Linux otherwise you would see good quality software packages on sale for Linux users.  Nobody is prepared to waste time on Linux Jobless  unwashed people.  There is no money in Linux.

why don't you approach Ubuntu owners to start their own project to satisfy your needs?  It makes more sense if you put up millions upfront to make the project viable so that should it fail, you lose your own money Not Adobe's money.  Adobe has been doing business since the eighties and so they know better what makes money and what doesn't.  Linux is one project they are not interested in.  So this is a very good chance for somebody to get in before Microsoft gets in and capitalizes on it.  Microsoft has started work on MSSQL and it is out next year.  ASP.NET and C# are already on Linux so that is something Microsoft might capitalize on.  What more do you want?  Are you saying you don't want anything to do with Microsoft?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have time to make arguments with Linux people.  There is no money in Linux otherwise you would see good quality software packages on sale for Linux users.  Nobody is prepared to waste time on Linux Jobless  unwashed people.  There is no money in Linux.

Then honestly, what are you even trying to do on this thread? Market windows? Congratulations you just called millions of people unwashed and jobless, good job.

So this is a very good chance for somebody to get in before Microsoft gets in and capitalizes on it.  Microsoft has started work on MSSQL and it is out next year.  ASP.NET and C# are already on Linux so that is something Microsoft might capitalize on.  What more do you want?  Are you saying you don't want anything to do with Microsoft?

Proof of concept. You dont listen, to like anything that is said. You have repeated yourself over and over and over. We get your point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Draceon You should not take much seriously all negative considerations here about entering linux market, they are probably not oficial statement, as there exist many serious misconception. Like flavoring dependency, completely not a case as today exist technologies like appimages, the same install approach of Apple that come with all libraries and dependencies embedded, in modern machines drivers are not a pain as in past too. The history about free vs non free is a complete wrong taking, If you're talking about top tear working areas like Hollywood studios, we have excellence tools in 3D, audio and video edition, paid ones like Auto-desk products, Maya, etc. Honestly and lets be honest the most popular platform is what move piracy today, I don't get, even mention of this on linux over many class paid software distributed over both platforms, it is not a Linux platform culture at the moment... An there is many others, non embased appointments of lack of technologies, what makes me think that maybe Auto-desk and many other can only be more competent. There is no sustain on many of those appointments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Draceon You should not take much seriously all negative considerations here about entering linux market, they are probably not oficial statement,

Are you seriously suggesting that Linux users are not competent enough to know this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2016 Feb 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is literally the stupidest thing I have ever read for so many reasons. The least of which is the fact that the US government has wide-spread applications already running Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I don't know how interested the government is in actually running adobe products on Linux computers. Of course having the option for CC on Linux would be awesome because I could run Photoshop on my Chromebook, but I wont cancel my subscription service, because I just love the products.

Having CC for Linux would simply bring a benefit concerning speeds as Linux is a lot better for productivity and speed in general. It would probably allow faster rendering of photos and videos for general optimization. Microsoft is slowly ruining their market with Windows 10 and many people are moving to Linux, so having a version for Linux might be a good idea.

Unfortunately, we as users must face the possibility that Adobe will never make a Linux version, whether it may profitable, or not....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jumping in the thread here, hey everyone!

As far as I know the developer can still license their software the way they want. Just because it's compiled for linux doesn't mean it has to be a free license (like the GPL or Apache). I haven't read all 11 pages of this thread but I'm not sure if it was mentioned.

I understand if Adobe doesn't want to release linux versions because it would be too hard to support. They have a hard enough time releasing mostly bug free software for Windows / Mac and usually fall short. They also have a massive library of applications to port over. I would suggest they focus on a few core apps that bigger studios that use Linux would benefit from, like Photoshop. Really all I want is AE and PS to run semi-natively (a custom WINE build would be totally fine). The future is very much headed to linux. Artists are being pushed out of the Apple market and they begrudgingly go to Windows. I know a handful of artists that moved to Windows and every time they talk about it they seem to be depressed. Linux is the viable alternative. It's fun, it's stable, and it's fast. Adoption will pick up exponentially.

Something to note is that the list of applications that don't run on linux is becoming much smaller. There are plenty of compositing applications and 3D tools that run natively (and beautifully) on linux. I've never run into any problems installing them and I've used alot of distro's (even Arch!). Some even have a UI installer that makes the whole process as easy as a Mac install. Adobe will quickly find itself being pushed into the pro-sumer and eventually the toy market if it doesn't adapt.

Adobe - Start with Photoshop, release for one specific distro (Rhel 7), and see how it goes.

I'm seriously considering cancelling my CC subscription this May because this is a feature I really need. I might be able to live without my annual subscription but I definitely can't go back to Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean  whats wrong with windows though? I really hate windows 10 (like no arguments there), but you can try something like a hackintosh.

As for Linux, I really was looking forward to Photoshop seeming as I can run that on my Chromebook if it runs on Linux. I am a high school student and often do graphics for our newspaper and I usually have to do that at home, because we just do not have the resources to get creative cloud via the school. Not saying my Chromebook is ultra powerful (which it definitely isn't), it is just about that versatility factor. Most users find that macs run faster than windows computers and that is simply, because of optimization and the removal of all that crap you don't need that Windows has running.

Mac and Linux are similar on the basis that they are both Unix systems. Big corporations are beginning to go away from the decreasing quality of macs and windows desktops. Most of my friends are telling me to switch to Linux, but the only reason I hang on to windows is compatibility. Honestly, for a software called "Creative Cloud", I think it should be universally compatible, they even have android apps! I totally agree with the fact that they should start with a simple Photoshop beta for Linux. They will certainly find the support among their consumers to test it out. I will certainly be among them.

However, I do agree that the very basis for Linux is open source and that is definitely not adobe's style. But bringing out major windows software for Linux has proven to be a great success in the past such as steam for Linux. The truth is that Linux is very limited in the apps they offer. The best art program they offer is gimp and that is free! By being the first Linux, Adobe is finding its way into a market before other companies like smith micro, avid, or coral do.

Its not about having all those Adobe apps on Linux, its all about starting small and Photoshop is the push that will get people back to CC again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can tell you what is wrong with windows. I have a full license to windows 7. Every time I change the slightest thing, like add ram or a HD to it it says my copy is pirated and I have to reactivate. Also it is constantly asking to upgrade to Windows 10. If I want to upgrade, I will upgrade. I don't need a daily reminder from the OS that I paid money for!

No to Hackintosh. Mac file system is terrible for one. And then there are stability issues. I've run a Hackintosh before. I would worry it would try to update itself and just destroy the OS. I've woken up to a non-booting Hackintosh more than once.

CentOS is amazingly stable and is available right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I  have never had the pirated issue, but windows 10 really is stupid, I agree with you on that. I usually stick to xubuntu, might try out CentOS now. Thanks for the suggestion!

As for hackintosh, I personally haven't used it either, just heard of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Centos is a Red Hat clone without the branding. It's now owned by Red Hat, oddly enough. Every pro app that has a linux version officially supports Red Hat. So that is why I say start on RHEL or Centos. Ubuntu (and flavors) has a huge adoption and nothing beats it as far as simplicity and ease of use. I would be fine with any distro being chosen really.

Just throwing my voice out there for Adobe to hear. Linux isn't going to get less popular. It only makes sense to port and release for a Linux desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>constantly asking to upgrade to Windows 10

That is because Microsoft "snuck in" https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

Do a search on how to uninstall that windows update, and then hide the update so it doesn't show up again, and you will no longer have the "Get Win10" program running to keep reminding you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Yes, I could do that OR I could stop booting into Windows.

It's a very bad judgement call for Microsoft. I think it's really the thought that upsets me most.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has been years now and I am still coming back to this thread. I still use Linux (Windows can be a nightmare for coding) and the Creative Suite is still one of the few reasons I have to run a Windows License in Dual Boot. I know that developing for a diverse plattform as Linux and maintaining service for it can be work for Adobe, but the number of people who code and do graphical stuff at the same time (and not stick to OSX) is growing.In the meantime I happened to replace a few Adobe applications already with stuff that works on Linux. AFX with Blender, Nuke and Blackmagic Resolve, Krita is way better for digital painting than Photoshop (sadly lacks some other things though), Inkscape can be used instead of Illustrator, Scribus instead of InDesign.. Sadly those alternatives lack one or two professional features.

Not to speak of all the legacy stuff I have to carry with me in order to open up old Adobe projects.

But well. If Adobe would bring CC for Linux I would go for it. Would make my life a lot easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been replacing my Adobe apps with alternatives as well. There are a few interesting Photoshop alternatives that arn't GIMP, Pixeluvo – Beautiful Images Made Easy for one. I mostly used AE for compositing but have come to realize that it's pure rubbish for CG comping so made the switch to node based, which Natron is freaking amazing. I'm waiting for Fusion Studio on Linux to hand them my $1000. Krita is great, GIMP is functional, I've used Scribus professionally and Inkcape ain't bad. Lightworks is a compelling video editor and Blender is coming into it's own. I just bought Substance Painter because they announced a Linux version coming in April. I have money to spend on these things... but I'm sitting here wondering why I'm handing over $50 a month to Adobe.

I would think Adobe would want me, the highend professional CG freelancer, on their side to spout the great new features to studio's I visit so they upgrade to the CC. Instead though, I talk about how much better Fusion is than AE for comps and how Natron is going to take over the world soon. Makes me sad, it really does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a BS argument from Adobe and let's be honest, they're just being a set of c***s about it and are clearly in the back pockets of Apple and Microsoft and are too weak to stand up to them. The excuse that it's not financially viable is a complete crock when you have companies like Blackmagic buying up software like Fusion, building a Mac version from scratch and giving it away for free. Blackmagic realise that if they get people using their free software they are more likely to upgrade to paid versions later on and are also more likely to buy their hardware as well. Shame adobe don't have the same belief system. Rather than creating software for professionals, they are much more keen on bloating their software with useless tools which make it easier for the casual hobbyist to turn out crap for youtube. If there was a viable alternative to After Effects I would have ditched them years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 19, 2016 Mar 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux is becoming more attractive to the general population and as Android has smashed IOS because it is open source (and Linux based), given time Linux will do the same with non-open source desktop operating systems. While some Adobe products are great it seems they do have an affinity to Microsoft and Macintosh and they are afraid of the open source future before us.

That being said I would encourage everyone who loves Linux to get behind the Blender project. I have made high quality commercial videos using nothing but Blender. They have already developed a wide range of professional tools including photo realistic 3D graphics modelling, camera tracking, video compositing, special effects and a game engine. This is the future Adobe is trying to suppress, or at least delay. Instead of pledging to drop money on Adobe as soon as they provide Linux compatible products we should deep-six Adobe by dropping money on the development of open-source software which is already on the brink of eclipsing Adobe. If open source software development received funding equivalent to one tenth of 1% of Adobe's revenue (see page 60), Adobe would be gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2016 Mar 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well. As of 2015, however, iOS and Android share a similar market share (depending on the chart you're looking at), which is pretty impressive being that only Apple phones support iOS.

But let's be honest here: Most users couldn't care less about the licensing arrangement of their phone's OS, and you cannot really compare a phone with a desktop.

That being said. I definitely want Adobe to support Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 21, 2016 Mar 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? IOS has a similar share as Android?...

chart-ww-smartphone-os-market-share.png

"Most users couldn't care less about the licensing arrangement of their phone's OS"

On the contrary. There was a time that everyone had to have an I-phone and anything else simply would not do. That was until other manufacturers started selling Android phones which were just as functional and cheaper because they were not wrapped up into an Apple monopoly and they didn't have to pay for the OS as computer manufacturers have to pay for Windows. I think consumers do care when there's money involved. Furthermore, the number of free apps on Google's Play Store makes the value of an Android-based smart phone even better.

Now we come back to my previous point. If we fund an already great open source software and make it superior to commercial versions which cost thousands, we add to the value of Linux. If consumers have a choice between an free desktop OS and open-source software packages which are as good as if not better that WIndows only software, what do you think they will choose? In my previous post I said "given time" when referring to Linux's eventual domination. I don't pretend the time is now. However, 14 years ago, Blender, which I mentioned previously, was released as open source software. At the time there were other superior products and almost no one in the commercial design and film industries gave serious consideration to it. Over the years Blender has been improved and polished and today it is the most widely used 3D software in the world, rivalling 3Ds Max which costs $1500/year per license. Why is that? Because some people decided that there was an alternative to being at the mercy of Adobe, AutoDesk and others. And rather than begging Adobe to make software which met their requirements, they paid cold hard cash and invested their own time to contribute to something much greater. If you wish to dismiss their contributions as misguided efforts because "you cannot really compare a phone with a desktop" it doesn't change the fact that, given time, the comparison will be obvious and the effects to the market identical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a developer // designer I would highly recommend getting at least Photoshop and Premiere onto Linux. It is a bit of a shame to start the other Windows PC everytime I need to edit a spritemap or something else.

And another note regarding UX design of your forum: One can not get to the last page without surfing through every other page? Really? In 2018? I am a bit offended by this.

Also I would like to know why I can only download a test version of Photoshop CC, when I currently have a subscription with it included. And lastly: Your download page (when clicking from account site) does show nothing unless you refresh it a million times (tested with latest Chrome on Ubuntu 16.04 and Microsoft Edge on Windows 10). Seriously: Please, fix.

But to not make this a total rant: I love your software, keep up the great work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines