• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Creative Cloud applications on Ubuntu/Linux

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud does not support Ubuntu/Linux. 

Please see the minimum system requirements needed to use Creative Cloud:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 693 Replies 693
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2016 Feb 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need an OS that is flexible, customizable and powerful.  With all the changes to the latest version of Windows (Win 10) that leaves me with Linux.  I need my Adobe products for work.  This is the only software I use that has me tied to Windows.

Please expand to offer Linux.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kris.DeBruine wrote:

I need an OS that is flexible, customizable and powerful.  With all the changes to the latest version of Windows (Win 10) that leaves me with Linux.  I need my Adobe products for work.  This is the only software I use that has me tied to Windows.

Windows 10 is highly flexible, customizable and powerful according to the market share shown in this picture:

netmarketshare-windows-versions-feb-2016.png

However, It is difficult to get your head round windows because you don't like anything from Microsoft.  Therefore, I can only say that you have to remain tied to Windows for quite a few years (I would say decades) as Linux community is fractured and still deciding among themselves which distro is better than the other.

Just dream on and one day your wishes   might be fulfilled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌hhow does market share show wibdows X being powerful or flexible and customisable. You say we don't like anything Microsoft? i do appreciate some of the things that Microsoft has done, previous versions of Windows had been great when I used them (xp and 7) but the current direction of Windows is one we do not like. Windows ten does not allow for changing desktop environments, runs slower than Linux (in my experience) seems to break itself regularly each time I've tried it. And Windows 7 and 8.1 are now being forced into upgrading which has in some cases bricked devices. You say our option is to stay with Windows but I beg to differ. I'm cancelling in September when my year is up and leaving Windows behind and Adobe with it until they come to Linux

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm cancelling in September when my year is up and leaving Windows behind and Adobe with it until they come to Linux

So I take it that for you creative Cloud is not a necessity, is this correct?  The reason I ask is because you have decided to cancel the contract in 7 months time after which you won't have CC at all because, you don't like Windows!!  This sounds bizarre to most of us but hey there are peo9ple like you who make bizarre decisions purely out of dogma.

hhow does market share show wibdows X being powerful or flexible and customisable

When so many people are using a product then it must be powerful, flexible and customizable.  Windows 10 can also be used on some mobile devices as well and this is wonderful for some of us who have familiar UI on devices we like to use.

Windows ten does not allow for changing desktop environments

Not true.  I have changed my desktop without any problems. It looks li8ke you need to learn something about windows before you go any further.  Windows is pretty much customizable.

So it looks like we won't see you here for some time because Linux version is unlikely to materialize for at least 10 years minimum.

Have fun with Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌cc was essential, it's not anymore. i will admit it's easier to work with as far as the software itself goes compares to what I now use but getting Linux to work flawlessly with that software is easier than to get Windows to work at all. It's not that I simply dont like Windows, its that it cauuses more problems than cc solves. Microsoft recently made Windows 10 a recommended update, that means it will install itself unless you disable updates, including security updates. So the option is to be more vulnerable than Windows would be or put up with Windows 10 which just doesn't work for me, since it bricked a previously fully working Windows install which then needed a complete reformat. I Like premiere, photoshop and other parts of the suite but I can accomplish the same results using software on Linux now, so if cc was on Linux then it would make sense to keep using it but when im spending as much time getting the OS to work as i am actually working, there's a serious problem. when I say changing desktop environmen, I don't just mean changing the wallpaper and colour scheme, I mean use KDE with cadence audio system and low latency kernel on my studio rig, Ubuntu with unity on a laptop and a stripped back xfce system with nothing more than lamp stack, terminal and Firefox on my home server.

win 10 on mobile devices isnt really relevant here when we're talking about having professional software on professional desktops, especially when that version of it (at least last time I heard) could not run any desktop applications (by which I mean full 64bit architecture software such as cc)

marketshare speaks more more about the advertising ability, number of old oem contracts and presence of a few exclusive softwares than it does of power, efficiency and cudtomiastion options.

also, I will have fun on Linux since I can actually work without having fix it every time I try to use it. I haven't even booted Windows at home at all this year, and have just in case I need to reopen a project from before transitioning to my new software.

for anyone interested, kdenlive, blender, pixeluvo, ardour and inkskape are what I now use. I'm looking into bmd davinci resolve to see if 12 can be bought for Linux to run without the control interface but I'm not sure this is possible to run as stand alone software without it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cc was essential, it's not anymore. i will admit it's easier to work with as far as the software itself goes compares to what I now use but getting Linux to work flawlessly

It really depends on what you are doing. Notably, prepress is not practical using Linux-based software. Adobe likewise has the 2D Motion Graphics industry pretty well cornered. In fact, After Effects is a significant barrier that holds me back from switching to Linux.

I realize you CAN do a lot of what AE does in Blender, but for doing very basic typography AE, is still very fast and has much better type control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌yes AE has easier typography but I'm getting used to the way blender does it. It too some time but for me it was easier than keeping with Windows. Up until recently I used after effects for a regular video which needed animated text over edited video and it was a lot of work to get the assets moved over and working the way I needed them to but it did work in the end, where as I still haven't got Windows to work properly. That's why I said I'd use cc if it was on Linux because it's something I know find easy to work with. Maybe there are things cc can do that the alternatives can't but I haven't come across anything important being missing from what I use

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blender is very capable and can do more than AE can in general and  Blender Internal is probably faster than AE Raytrace. BI Shaderless renders nearly as fast as AE Standard. However, working in AE is generally faster for simple to moderately complex things, and I prefer AE's java-like Expressions over Blender's Python expressions - though that's probably just a preference.

Overall, yes, Blender probably can replace AE.

That said, for offset print production I have not found a suitable set of tools on Linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are people comparing Blender to AE? They are two completely different

applications and one could never replace the other. Yes there is some

slight overlap but it's like saying you don't need Photoshop because you've

got Illustrator.

Right now there is nothing else on the market that gets close to AE's

speed, ease of use and it's huge 3rd party plugin library. Until this gets

addressed then ditching Adobe is not option for hundreds of thousands of

motion graphic artists. Ideally we won't need to because Adobe will pull

their head out to their arse and build us a Linux version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well. You CAN essentially do most of what AE does well in Blender and it will render out nearly as fast. It's not really a matter of overlap, more just a different way of getting the same result.

The thing is though it's not going to be nearly as efficient to set up. I've looked into using Blender for bread-and-butter 2D motion graphics, and yeah, it's possible (very much so), but my conclusion is that it's not very practical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

Windows 10 is highly flexible, customizable and powerful according to the market share shown in this picture:

netmarketshare-windows-versions-feb-2016.png

If you drown the market with your products, clouded the fact that there are many more alternatives to Windows on top of Linux, and during the years you blinded people almost saying that the only option you had to but was Wndows, i found hardly to believe that a marketing study could say something different (Operating system market share). Market space is absolutely far from confirm the advantages/disadvantages of the operating system itself as a tool so to show this pie chart created by people that is in love with windows... so by 100000000th time, your claim is pointless.

But hey! even Linus Torvalds, who is a fan of open source, he does not see paid software as the evil since open source is not "free software". GNU/GPL softwre is free software (although the word free could fall into misinterpretations). Thus... Hey! many Linux users in fact do pay for their software, since open source is not a synonymous of free software whatsoever.

Windows, since it does not allow to take full control of the operating system, since it is closed source, you as user cannot explore what is happenning inside, and therefore you will run the wheel of the business since you will need to call someone who is "Microsoft certified" in order to solve your problem (... Blank screens after installing windows 10.... now there is a bugfix for that issue, but how much money was spend in order to examine that bug?), and since it is infested with viruses for which, you need to install a plethora of Anti-Viruses which, on the one hand, eat resources as popcorn, and with the installation of silly firewalls which in the end will eat your RAM and CPU as popcorn i cannot see how Windows is so powerful and flexible.

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

However, It is difficult to get your head round windows because you don't like anything from Microsoft.  Therefore, I can only say that you have to remain tied to Windows for quite a few years (I would say decades) as Linux community is fractured and still deciding among themselves which distro is better than the other.

Just dream on and one day your wishes   might be fulfilled.

So, you (not me), need to keep being tied to Widnows for ONE software that MUST be paid regardless the operative system....  Oh! I see! That is the business: you keep paying for software that probably it may take not too much coding, something that you could do for your homework, in the same foot as a good MP3 player which can be programmed even with that "Visual Studio c#" tool by Microsoft (which also eats resources as popcorn), in order to make a big fat amount of money for Microsoft people. is that the way Adobe thinks of its products? I find it very hard to believe. Again, by 100000001th time, your claim is pointless.. and so on.. and so forth...

Probably, that day will come earlier than the day where business pie charts tell something about the performance of Operative Systems.... Sad but true...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can feel the love on this thread.  I'm not a fan boy of anything in particular.  In fact, I use everything.  Yes, Windows 10 will track you, so will practically everything else you do on-line.  Do nothing online that you don't want to be tracked or feel sorry for later.   I stick with Windows 7 and the 2014.2 version of the suite because it works and gets the job done.  When I retire, I'll see little need to use CC for my personal needs.  There's plenty of free options on Linux to get the basics done so I can edit photos and videos of the family, etc.  The likes of CC would be overkill.  Then again, the way things are going Adobe will have a solution.  Let me explain:

Personally,   I think something like a desktop version of Android or similar on an appliance will be the next big thing.  From the days of old, the average person expects two things:  To know whats happening (news), and to correspond with others.  What is the single most easiest platform to meet that challenge today?  I have five kids, all whom have access to laptops and yet they can't live without their phones!  Interestingly enough, I've found an Android equipped phone to be quite a useful tool.  I've already shot, edited and posted a 4k video without leaving the scene! 

We're all beating a dead horse here.  Interesting times for a guy whom used one the very first commercial computers every produced, a Xerox 860.  All it did was word processing and required two 8" floppy disks and several minutes to boot it.  It had a mouse, keyboard, and ethernet printing.  I've seen what drives the market over the years and the popular vote always wins, and currently mobile is it, which both Mac and Google are well rooted.  Windows 10 is MS' way of trying to catch up. We know that Android has Linux roots, (though it's proprietary and closed within Google).  Adobe may see the light, eventually, a port may be possible but only when it becomes popular.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2016 Feb 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallo i use adobe premiere cc for video editing, visual studio for C++, Fruity loops as a DAW. i have a PC but i go to school and want to use these software witch surprisingly (being i'm Swedish American) i have legal licenses to i wanted to use them on my Ubuntu Laptop and for what ever reason i can't get wine to install be it through  the software center or the terminal but none of if works if anyone else have had this problem or have a solution to the problem  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2016 Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reptille wrote:

Hallo i use adobe premiere cc for video editing, visual studio for C++, Fruity loops as a DAW. i have a PC but i go to school and want to use these software witch surprisingly (being i'm Swedish American) i have legal licenses to i wanted to use them on my Ubuntu Laptop and for what ever reason i can't get wine to install be it through  the software center or the terminal but none of if works if anyone else have had this problem or have a solution to the problem 

Please note Adobe products are not designed to run on Ubuntu or any Linux distros.  You either need to continue using a PC or buy an Apple Mac machine.

If you are using Visio C++ then clearly you must be using a Windows based PC.   Is this not so?

I use Visual Studio for Web Applications when I am doing something in ASP/C# and find it absolutely wonderful to use it.  For web Applications VS 2013 and 2015 uses Bootstrap as its template and this is the best move made by Microsoft.

Good luck in your studies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget wine.  Have you tried/experimented with Virtualbox?  You'll need to install a win7 OS within it.  Be sure to check the settings so it correctly mimics an actual environment that Adobe likes to see, (I've read some had success going that route).  I use Virtualbox (currently in MInt 17.3) to run outdated 32bit games in an XP SP2 environment.  No guarantee.  Some work, others require tweaks, etc.  If you want to experiment, it's worth a shot.  I would install as trial, first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2016 Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in general virtualization does not work well with things like video editing; after effects does not last I checked.

there are specialized virtual environments for this specific task, but they are more intended for enterprise applications.

Standard virtualization might be worth a shot still, but you'll take a big performance hit.

If you are a student or not using video editing professionally, there is Nuke Studio (i think NukeNon-commercial is available for Linux, the Student version should be). The Studio edition has an editor.

There is also Lightworks, I don't know much about it.

And Blender. But is a learning curve there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 16, 2016 Feb 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's simple. Adobe won't support Linux because its too hard. They got rid of most of their Linux developers many years ago.

The responses here from those supposedly in the know (if their post count is to be believed) also showcase why Adobe will never be capable of supporting Linux. Having read their many responses, these are the people who would still claim that Windows 8 is good or Vista was just misunderstood. They miss pre-tabbed browsing and probably still install floppy drives on new systems, you know "just in case".

Lets face it, would you let a monkey poo in your system?

Linux terrifies Adobe, they don't understand it which is why you hear statements like:

"there's no money in Linux"

"Linux is for hobbyists"

"there is no standard method of installation"

"take be back to windows 8. I need to look at some squares"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 17, 2016 Feb 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe said it was not profitable to do so.  That I can believe.  I've toyed with Linux for decades.  While there are great distros to serve the needs of basic computing, (Mint 17.3 is really nice).  Twenty years later and there has yet to be a solid foundation for multimedia for professional work.   Adobe, like Blackmagic and their editor, would have to create a custom distro and/or force users to switch to one.  Not to mention all third party plugins and tools that need porting as well.  It's extra baggage they don't need.  They solved issues with Window's 10 and 7 has five years of support remaining.

That said.  The world is eventually heading to 100% mobile.  Since last year mobile has exceeded desktops in search, accounts and sales.  Google only needs to add multitasking and desktop features to android to nail the expensive applications on big PC's coffin shut.  When my workstation expires in the next five years, I doubt I'll fork over another 10K to replace it.  Even today I can do short, cuts only projects, with 4K media on a cell phone with a $5 app.  That includes transitions, music and titles.  Some of that media has would up as B-roll in my larger projects.  It's not prime time, but give it some time, it will be.  Therefore, I'm playing and using those tools now as the clock is ticking.

Adobe already has a mobile apps for android, such as "Adobe Clip".  However, it's limited to 720p.  We complained about it and Adobe responded that a 1080p solution is forthcoming.  Does that sound like a stubborn company with it roots soley in Windows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2016 Feb 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will talk about just by myself, i don't know the other guys, but i really don't think Adobe is so stubborn, since what the most of us is trying here, is to make a point to make Adobe to change its mind about Linux users. That said, i also want to thank your language, since it is more properly to start a real discussion instead to receive a rain of "You, childish/foolish Linux users that are not surrendered to Windows/Mac or other commercial stuff do not deserve any attention whatsoever", so i wanted to start thanking your manners.

After that, whether or not is profitable can be arguable, since the tools/libraries that Adobe need to port code on Linux are very similar to those used to port code to Mac (Mac is Unix), and also, it appears that Android is a reduced version of Linux (sarcasm apart), it should not be very difficult to do ports on other distros, since all of them have more or less the same common elements for the standard libraries. Otherwise and on top of that, one could do the same as it has been performed with Libreoffice (just to name one example, although i could be mistaken you could find easily another different), which had 2 versions: one the source code that you could compile yourself, and another compiled version with the executables precompiled in such way that it includes many of the libraries it needs inside the package for the installation, so it can be loaded on almost any Linux machine. My point is beyond this example: There are many options to port/create/translate/profit from packages in Linux... you got the idea, don't you? Recall that to make a package to work on Linux is not necessary to have the GNU/GPL license, nor being open source. All of this with almost no additional cost/effort for Adobe.

I see the efforts in the grounds of Windows but that is not enough, since many of the mobile users prefer Android rather than windows mobile (i do not need to be a genius on mobile market management and business in order to make this guess), and thus, as i said above, mobile users are also a part of the Linux family. On the other hand, even though many people is buying mobile phones it is yet hard to do some office work on a tablet/phone, but just small things or small editing of music and/or video. The hard work is preferable to be carried out, in a short and long period, in a desktop machine (or a laptop, as you wish). Of course you can do even graphic design on mobiles, but not in the same way as you can do it in a desktop machine, and you by yourself can tell the difference.

On the other hand, i work in research and we don't think to put altogether in a cellphone is a good idea, since to do numerical simulations is hard to do in a machine with limited resources regardless it has 4/8 processors (sometimes, one or two good processors is better than to have many of them running in a machine that is already running many other unnecessary stuff to reach your goal: Do you know that once upon a time when there were farms of playstation 1 running calculations??).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a web developer and designer. Two years ago I switched to Linux Mint (now I'm using Mint 17.3) and never returned to Windows, except for Adobe software for design. It would be great to actually have the possibility CC suite for Linux. Certainly both Mac and Linux are Unix-based operating systems. Linux is a much more powerful and stable than Windows really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lauranl wrote:

It would be great to actually have the possibility CC suite for Linux. Certainly both Mac and Linux are Unix-based operating systems. Linux is a much more powerful and stable than Windows really.

I am sure it is great to have CC for all different platforms currently available on this planet but for a business like Adobe to remain competitive in the market place,  somebody has to make the initial investment to set up the department to make these products.  It is not that you get Windows code and hope it will work in Linux or Mac.  People have to be employed who  knows a thing or two about developing products for Linux.  Windows code has to be modified to make it work on Linux.

Also, one has to know who is in charge of a particular platform so that any problems can be addressed by them.  As far as I know Linux has many flavours - Ubuntu, Mint, Debian etc etc.  Although they are one and the same thing in different clothing, somebody should deal with Licensing matters.  CC is not free and will never be.  So how do you control the License so that pirates don't start copying and distributing them online.  They have done in the past in the bad old days when DOS and Windows 3.x ruled the world.  Now we have got Activation and details have to be stored in the machine so that the user can use the product and there should be a control that the same product and serial number can't be used on another machine.  Windows has Registry entries but Linux hasn't got anything like this and nobody is developing anything to make it possible for Commercial developers to start making products.  Microsoft has started developing MSSQL for Linux but it is going to be free so Licensing is not a problem.  Adobe can't do anything like this because Adobe isn't as big as Microsoft.  Corel Linux started making products (in 1999) but they stopped it because it was not profitable.  Linux is a lost cause and people should be happy to use whatever they have got and stop wishing for anything as big as Adobe CC to be on Linux in the near future.  Start using Windows 10 if you want CC or use Linux and whatever products you already have for your wonderful Linux.  Windows should be left to professionals who believe in market economy and enterprise.  Linux should be left to jobless people and academics who can try their various techniques to make it work for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So just as clarification, you are saying Linux is used by jobless people? Professionals use Linux, because of the development and customization involved with Linux while windows is used by the people who want an easy to use operating system which requires you to know almost nothing about computers and OS backend. Although I do agree on the point that CC for Linux is probably a bad idea considering Linux is based on being free, your point about Linux being useless is not true.

And I am pretty sure all the people in the film industry are jobless, considering this article: Disney Shifting to Linux for Film Animation - NYTimes.com

As for the comment about moving to windows 10, you pay money for an operating system that takes away features. My usb microphone as well as every other usb microphone I know of no longer works in windows 10, because the volume is too low. They have not fixed the drivers since way back in 2012 when Windows 8 came out with this bug. Not even built-in microphones are working anymore. I certainly cant  use Windows anymore for audio production, although the mic works perfectly for Linux. Windows is meant to be easy, Windows is meant to be for people who want the OS to work so they can concentrate on the work they want to be doing. There is no denying that Windows is a good operating system, but it is far from "professional".

CC will probably not fit in to Linux, but there is no denying that the "jobless" professionals are moving towards it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So just as clarification, you are saying Linux is used by jobless people?

I am simply saying that Linux machines are not used in Offices and factories where some serious work is being done like doing the finace work or filing tax returns or sending an email or drafting a leagl document.  Jobless people are not likely to do these things so they don't need a Windows machine on which they can install tax software or Accountancy software or write a mcro for their spreadsheet.  You need an Excel spreadsheet to do some serious Macro writing work.  Linux is just not designed for these things. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

Are you seriously suggesting that Linux users are not competent enough to know this?

I don't think it is a fact all Linux user would be sure of it. I did not do factual affirmations without absolutely certainty of what I'm talking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mytaxsite.co.uk‌  -  Linux is not designed for serious work?

"Linux is the most popular operating system among supercomputers due to the general advantages and benefits of free and open-source software, like superior performance, flexibility, speed and lower costs. In November 2008 Linux held an 87.8 percent share of the world's top 500 supercomputers." -Source

According to you these super computers are unable to use Quickbooks web-based accounting software or run open-source accounting programs like Gnucash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines