• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Creative Cloud applications on Ubuntu/Linux

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Creative Cloud does not support Ubuntu/Linux. 

Please see the minimum system requirements needed to use Creative Cloud:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 693 Replies 693
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2015 Jun 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows an industry standard?? Wow I am quit amazed if you are talking about the big studios.Almost all big studios use linux for example Dreamworks , Rhythm and Hues , Primefocus are some of them. And for your question I can survive without both windows and cc....it makes my life some tough for sure but thats what the saying say "No pains, no gains" Inkscape is a great illustrator altenative and when combined with gimp and krita takes care of my graphics work....for post productions in my videos i use nuke and blender(with makehuman,sweet home 3d, Autodesk mudbox and sometime maya and renderman)....and arrange them with lightworks(priemiere pro alternative....thus there is not an involvement of any adobe products!

P.S- Well I am school going student and purely use these for non-commercial work, thus I dont have to pay anything for the softwares i use cause nuke has a free non commercial edition and lightworks also has a free version....Autodesk programs have a free student version and rest of the programs are opensource ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2015 Apr 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's think about Valve and their SteamOS. It should be clear that in near future more and more kids will grow up with Linux instead of Windows or OSX. So, please don't be the last one to support the next generation with your products. More and more people are saying, that the missing Adobe-Support is the last instance to not switch to Linux at this time. I also think lots of companies would pay more for a Linuxversion of Creative Cloud, if they can save the money of a Windows-licence or the Mac-Hardware. So please invest in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another person here who would love to see Adobe products running on Linux as I am a full time Linux user.

I took the decision to switch over to Linux full time about 12 months ago, and I am happy with my decision as *most* of my needs are met.  So I have no plans to switch back.

The bottom line: no Adobe product availability for Linux, no purchase from me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 30, 2015 Apr 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow brian, i assume there are linux alternatives for: web development, graphic design, word processing, email -- even at a high level?

what does the commercial space look like for linux?

is everyone sitting around configuring and reconfiguring computers and using the command line?

for me, i had taken a break from tech for a while -- and have maintained my adobe CC subscription. well, i have had reason to use a few of the tools available: inDesign, Premiere Pro, Dreamweaver -- and i am having a major "face palm for humanity" experience regarding just how bad the user procedures are for these adobe products.

it absolutely amazes me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Сейчас 2015 год. По прежнему перспективы появления продуктов Адоб для Линукс систем нет. Печально.
То, что получается использовать под Вайном - не полноценный Фотошоп (а следовательно и платить за него смысла нет). Гимп ни разу не замена Фотошопу.
Google translate (sorry):

Now in 2015. As before, the prospects for the emergence of products Adob for Linux systems there. It is sad.

What it is obtained by use Wine - not a full Photoshop (and therefore pay for it makes no sense). Gimp never replace Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2015 May 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer is simple. It's an Apple thing, AKA, Microsoft Shares, AKA, Al Gore and You know who, Not Jobs invented the internet! They just want you to get a MAC. End of thread!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working in Postproduction (mainly using Davinci Resolve, Premiere, AE, Blender and of course PS, ID and AI). I use OSX and Windows machines for years now. I do also a fair bit of Webdeveleopment and the only thing that keeps me on Windows and OSX is the Creative Suite.

For me there are two possible futures:

1. Adobe releases CC for Linux and I can switch there
  2. I find alternatives that work for me on Linux and I abandon Adobe alltogether.

I don't like OSX, because of the way Apple treats it's (professional) customers. They break working standards all the time in order to keep you with them. A lot of the time you find yourself fixing problems, they created without a reason. Also for the performance-per-money for their hardware is lower than with any other plattform (speaking of market demand). i

I don't like Windows, because it is horrible to manage. You can do it (me doing it for years proofs it), but it is a hassle. Major Updates break working systems, fixes for simple problems can be a real pain and it lacks the modularity I want to have in a professional Desktop OS.

Linux Distributions on the other hand are modular, most of the time easy to fix (pasting lines into the terminal), have a logical and clean structure, run stable, are amazing for networks, won't break stuff with updates (because you can decide what to update) and they don't cost too much (I still would donate to devs). I am not sure about the Statistics on desktop usage: of course I use OSX and Windows more, because that is where my working software mainly runs at, but if CC would run on Linux I would never look back..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Money Adobe going to give to coders for porting CC apps to Linux won't be important becasue their profit margin is a lot higher. Heck, even their server costs are multiple times higher than that. But they can win a loyal fanbase, the love of their customers by porting some of their favourite apps on Linux. That can't be bought by any money. There are considerable amount of users that would love to move to Linux if Adobe released Linux ports. They only stay in Windows & Mac for Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 09, 2015 Jul 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, you're probably right there. they've had the requests that would easily justify it. we know the money would not be a problem. they wouldn't have to do that much work so it wouldn't be an issue since we know they use languages are easy to write for linux. the requests have been going for years so it's not like its a new thing they haven't had time to do yet. either adobe simply dont care about anything, are acting incredibly irresponsible for no reason or have some other reason that we are not aware of that defies all logic. some have said that adobe are getting paid by microsoft and apple to keep cc off linux (where we clearly want it) to force us into using their operating systems and hardware in the case of apple. adobe has denied this and I doubt it myself but there are no other reasons I can see. a member of staff at adobe replied to another post saying this as if they don't even know what Linux is.

"

Hi Andrew,

There is no such version for Linux in Creative Cloud as the Adobe Creative cloud apps are desktop apps.

Please refer: System requirements | Creative Cloud

Regards,

Sheena"

the response was replied to in a manner saying that linux is desktop OS and asking why the linux desktop doesn't have adobes desktop apps. there has been no response since.

should even an unsupported version be released in beta that runs on linux be released, I would download and install on day one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 10, 2015 Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have 0 reason to stay on MacOS or Windows other than using adobe's Creative Cloud.

...the poor user procedures in CC software are of grave concern to me, and it really makes me wonder what could be going on at adobe.

i too would switch to CC Linux the moment it became available.

honestly, i could personally improve the usability of CC software as well as the documentation. i am sure there are plenty of "minds" out there that could do the same thing. it just does not seem to be happening, which is really sad...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 10, 2015 Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌honestly if Adobe went through these forum posts, picked 5 people who want this and know a little about programming, and gave them the code, we'd have cc on Linux in in a matter of weeks, months at the most and that would barely cost them anything but bring them hundreds of thousands at least, perhaps even millions. Last time I wrote cross platform, the only changes I made between a windows version and Linux version was the file path structure (which was mostly taken care of through abstraction methods) and the compiling options. They have a Mac version already which would probably be even easier to port

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2015 Jul 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if people have seen this or whats happened with it since, but considering Foundrys software runs on Linux (and in VFX industry primarily run on Linux), one could hope it could encourage the creative cloud apps to do the same. Its amazing how many posts in here think linux is just for servers and theres no point- the lucrative Visual Effects industry alone relies on Linux much more than Windows or Mac, MUCH more. Surely milliions to be made from good linux support for adobe:

Adobe eyes £200m bid for British visual effects firm The Foundry - Telegraph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn't much money to be made in Linux Desktop products otherwise

people would be rushing in to make products; The fact of the matter is

Linux is not a success story when it comes to Desktops in Corporate US

and Corporate Europe where the big market for desktop applications is.

Linux is good for web servers but desktop applications are simply not

suitable for servers.

Creative Cloud products are pretty good on Windows 7 and Windows 8

Operating systems and also on Apple Macs so have you tried downloading

the trial versions to run on these OSs to see if it suits your style of

working? You will be amazed how wonderful CC is on these operating

systems. The sales figure is ballooning month after month so why change

the formula? Nobody is wasting time making products for consumer Linux

market so why should Adobe waste time and resources on it? It doesn't

make sense.

Perhaps in future things will change but for now Linux users themselves

are divided and they can't decide which distros to use so how can Adobe

decide what to make for a particular user group.

Windows is becoming almost free for most users; I had free Windows 8.1

(from windows 8) and I will also get Windows 10 free on 29th July;

Also, most new computers from big vendors like DELL, HP, Gateway,

Samsung, Toshiba etc comes with Windows preloaded so what exactly do you

guys find so difficult with Windows? Everybody seems to be using

Windows as far as I can see and I never come across anybody using Linux

in my day to day work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mytaxsite.co.uk Your reply was made in good intent but you obviously don't understand the beauty of free agency and choice. If you don't understand whats wrong with Windows and Mac OS X then your support on this thread will be in vain. There are millions of linux desktop users and if adobe releases it correctly in a properly formatted .run file or as a tarball it can run on most all distros anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dream on Linux users:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear ssprengel.

When you deal with numbers you have to keep in mind what they mean in the context of the discussion. In this context it doesn't mean much.

You are comparing some online statistics to the small (compared to all users) userbase with special interest. Keep in mind that your pie graph refers to the total of this graph and claims to make a statement about the orange part:

blank.png

Or to phrase it differently: I think your statistic does not represent the Creative Suite userbase and even more so it doesn't represent the reality in the bigger studios (where Mac would be 80% and Linux would be as strong as Windows). It always depends where you work and a CC for Linux would not be a bad thing as many animation companies use linux on a day to day basis, not only for rendering machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys are missing the point.  Adobe can't make products for an OS on which it can't control its legitimate licenses.  On Windows, licenses are stored in "Windows Registry" and so Adobe can control how its products are installed and in what numbers.  In Linux this is just not possible because of its Open Source model.  Anybody can download the source code for Linux distro and modify it to suit their purpose and so the security feature of an operating system is lost.

Products can only survive if they are developed continuously and free products don't survive because developers can't afford to keep them going.  I don't see any free desktop products coming out with any new features while Adobe products and Microsoft products are evolving all the time and people are willing to pay for them.

Wordpress (a free product) has survived because of "Automattic" a profit making company;  Drupal has survived because of "Acquia";  Joomla is struggling because nobody controls it and so its patches are all over the place because anybody can change them as they feel in its official distribution.  With WP and Drupal, nobody can change anything without the approval of the owners.  suggestions are always welcomed and contributions are always welcomed but official changes cannot take place without proper approval.  With Linux this is not the case and so it has become an academic exercise for hobbyists and enthusiasts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mytaxsite.co.uk‌ um, no, we're not asking for an open source version of Adobe.  They can sell subscriptions and control access just like they do now, whether it's on Windows, OSX, or Linux.  Sure, most software on Linux is open source, but there's no restrictions preventing someone from making and selling a program that runs on linux, and in fact many do.  And there's no reason that the open source nature of Linux would allow end users to circumvent the licensing model any easier than they would be able to with the existing OS's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

You guys are missing the point.  Adobe can't make products for an OS on which it can't control its legitimate licenses.  On Windows, licenses are stored in "Windows Registry" and so Adobe can control how its products are installed and in what numbers.  In Linux this is just not possible because of its Open Source model.  Anybody can download the source code for Linux distro and modify it to suit their purpose and so the security feature of an operating system is lost.

This doesn't make sense in any way. There is a number of software out there in price leagues way higher than Adobe CC which are licensed via flexlm or rlm servers that in most cases are running on linux machines already, even if the workstations are using Windows or MacOS. I don't see them having problems control their legitimate licenses.

So once again: I am waiting for Adobe CC on linux, where is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, open source adobe is not what we are asking. lots of companies have paid versions of software running on Linux and some sites even show linux users willing to pay more than windows users. we are yet to see one legitimate reason not to that can hold up against just 5 seconds of logical reasoning. We are still waiting...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where have you people been hiding the past few years? Serious authentication is tied up with the hardware serial number of the computer processor, the mac address of the ethernet adapters, the user's IP address, etc.

Adobe uses their cloud service to authenticate each copy of CC. Have you tried installing your CC on a third computer? It requires you to log out of one of the first two copies in order to work on the third computer.

Several high end compositing (Nuke & Fusion) packages have been running under Linux for years.

I've still got a parallel port dongle for After Effects, but Adobe long ago figured out how to supply products without dongles. My copy of Fusion (which has been running under Linux using Wine in a fully supported version for over 5 years) also first came with a dongle. So what? There are other ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy, just wanted to add another anecdotal piece of information to this thread. I'm a filmmaker that uses Premiere Pro and I'm also a software developer.  I use a Windows host (for Adobe) and a Linux guest (where I do 90% of my work.) The reason for this is because I need to run Premiere Pro on "real" (not VM) hardware to get the best performance out of it.

What I suppose I have to say is this: the reason that Adobe should consider Linux is because the longer that Adobe doesn't support Linux apps, there will continue to be vocal users who will be looking for alternatives that will, which creates an incentive for developers to create software that achieves technological parity with Adobe software.  

The stronger the incentive to develop Adobe-equivilant solutions, the *sooner* the day will come when Adobe's creative suite is no longer the technological leader, but instead, another commodity product among many equivalent choices.  The point of supporting Linux - from a strategic, Adobe-based perspective, is not to capture new marketshare but to maintain market dominance over a longer period of time.  That day when Adobe products are commodity products? That day *will* come, but the longer you maintain market dominance now, the more cash-on-hand you have to weather the storm and spend time developing the next "killer app" so that you can once again achieve market dominance in an area.

To me, this is a no-brainer from a strategic perspective. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just like many people are switching to a cruelty-free diet, many are looking for cruelty-free hardware and software.

neither microsoft nor apple offer solutions for people who refuse to pay money to companies that facilitate harm.

having a "large share of the market" is completely irrelevant, if that market share was gained unethically.

what would happen to the % of CC users using linux, if such an offering were made, is that an "elite core" base of users would switch immediately, and many many many would follow.

adobe, then, would be allowing a global discussion on ethics to occur -- that likely neither apple nor microsoft wish to see happen.

so, i wonder if microsoft and apple are paying adobe to keep CC off of linux.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe they are paying adobe, though adobe has denied this. Im not too bothered about the ethics to be honest. I use linux where I can because its more reliable, more secure and faster than windows and has options for far better hardware than mac. I know I could build a hackintosh but the hardware support isn't great. the marketshare of worldwide use quoted is from a microsoft funded company. every other source that isn't just quoting themfrom this biased site that probably takes its its stats from microsofts own servers. W3 schools states over 5%, which is closer to the truth and more relevant than stats from netmarketshare, expecially when those stats are so old. every server I've managed in my time has given stats saying 10-20% minimums for linux share not including android which is the mobile where as all recent windows phones and tablets count towards the windows share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I say, it is without doubt that Apple and Microsoft are influencing Adobe to not support Linux. Just look at what Apple did to Adobe in the fight over Flash. Now thanks to Apple Flash is all but dead. Which is a huge blow to Adobe. I had to stop developing in Flash. If Adobe supported Linux you can rest assured that Apple and Microsoft would inflict more damage upon Adobe. In fact there were rumors years ago about Apple buying Adobe which would be disastrous to all creative professionals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines