Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conflicted Copies – only editing on one computer

Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2016 Sep 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again.

I'm working on a fresh (less than a week) install of El Capitan and a fresh install of Premiere Pro 2015.3 on a maxed-out late-2014 Retina iMac. This is the only computer I'm editing the project on, although I do also have CC installed on a MacBook Pro.

Since the auto-save feature is still unreliable, I manually save my work all the time to the Creative Cloud Files/Premiere Pro/10.0 folder. Sometimes when I save I get a message saying that this file has been modified since your last save, which is annoying but I can live with it. What I can't live with are the conflicted copies of my project files that are (seemingly) randomly being created in the 10.0 folder. They say the project name, then "(Conflicted copy from Jef’s iMac on 2016-09-08)". Like I said, I'm not editing on any other computers, and this is the only iMac I have, so it shouldn't be creating conflicted copies.

Long story short – I need this to stop. If anyone has a solution, I would kindly appreciate.

–Jef

(Adobe: Please don't respond by asking me to fill out a bug report. Frankly, your bug reporting system takes way too long, and in my experience it never makes any difference anyway. Consider this my bug report, thank you.)

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your "save" routine and your "backup save" routine?

I would suggest that you dont need "a cloud" in any SAVES if you have solid routines in place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider this my bug report, thank you.

Sorry, I can't file a bug for you in this manner. You have to do it. Sorry it's painful.

Sometimes it take a number of cycles to get bug fixes and feature requests to get implemented. I like to review them to see which ones to advocate for when I'm asked. So, if you don't file it, I don't see it in my reviewing process. Your request is much like a "vote" as many other people have the same request, quite often.

After searching around your error seems to be a file sync issue. I agree with shooternz in that you should look for another volume to back up your files to on a regular basis. Move them to the Creative Cloud folder when your project is complete. This slight change in workflow might get you back on track.

If that truly won't work for you, PM me where I will give you instructions to send me your Creative Cloud logs.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2016 Sep 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure how I'd feel if I told my landlord the toilet didn't work and he said "then just don't use it." I realize it's not a perfect equivalency, but hopefully you get my point.

Coincidentally, this is essentially the same "solution" you provided for my auto-save problems. Don't use it.

Problem solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 02, 2016 Dec 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

onefjef,

Again, could you PM me so I could get ahold of your log files? I'm sorry if I missed any previous messages.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2016 Sep 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any updates on this issue?  Any posts or troubleshooting articles you can point us to other than "don't use the cloud"? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue for the past few months.  It has been happening, sporadically, with saves from within the Adobe universe, as well as saves from outside.  Yes, these are saves of edits to existing files in my CC library.  It doesn't happen every time I save though.  Eventually, I do get a saved file, but deleting all of the (conflicted copies) gets to be a pain, especially with only 20Gb to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2016 Sep 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this issue too. My set up is a single workstation, no networked drives or anything like that. I have separate media and scratch disks, but I create and save my project files in the Creative Cloud folder on my main SSD. The idea being, of course, that it will serve as an automated backup, so I don't have 'Save Backup Project to Creative Cloud' activated.

It didn't used to happen, but now it's a regular thing, every project. After an editing session of a few hours I can have 8 or 10 'Conflicted Copy' projects alongside the original. It's not a MASSIVE inconvenience to delete them, but you do have to be careful of which one is the most up-to-date, so the potential is there for accidentally deleting the most recent work, which isn't good.

I, too, don't like the solution of 'don't use this method', as it seems to me to be the best and most failsafe way to use projects files and the cloud, if it were to work as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2016 Oct 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this issue but with a multiple computer/collaborative folders setup. Nobody in my office is working in the same files at the same time, but conflicted copies keep appearing for no clear reason. It's been happening with Microsoft Word files, PDFs, and InDesign files, and it's happened to me and several other coworkers. It would be extremely detrimental to our work to accidentally use an older file, so this issue needs to be resolved. Can somebody point me toward a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2016 Oct 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not seen this issue when using the CC storage on Windows machines.

Is everyone experiencing the issue on a Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2016 Oct 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I was having the issue on a PC.

I say WAS, as I have recently switched my Save strategy. Now I'm saving locally and having Auto Save back up to my Cloud folder. Because really, if you think about it, saving primarily to the Cloud folder just negates the backup that the Cloud provides. If you lose/corrupt the save, it is then universally lost/corrupted.

Conflicts have stopped with this strategy anyway, which reduces my workday frustrations a few percent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Creative Cloud storage just not meant to be a sync application? OneDrive and DropBox have no problem at all determining whether a file is a newer version or not. I've only rarely had anything conflicted in those two services, but my CC folders are filled with conflicted copies.

I work at home and at my office on the same files. I save them at the office using OneDrive and then I open them at home later and work on them and everything is fine. I keep my huge video source files on an external drive that I tote back and forth, which is mapped to the same drive letter on both computers so I don't have to re-link source files. (I back that drive up every night.) It works pretty seamlessly. I don't put the big files in the cloud just because I don't like waiting for the uploads to finish. FWIW OneDrive gives you 1TB of space with an Office 365 subscription.

It's just starting to seem like Creative Cloud storage is a completely different concept - like it's meant to be simple storage, not necessarily a sync application. Most of the answers from Adobe staff in posts about this issue seem like they don't completely understand the issues people are having because their concept for what it's supposed to do is fundamentally different than what users are expecting.

Someone up-thread made the analogy of having a broken toilet and being told "Just don't use it." I think it's more a situation of telling the landlord "My toilet won't flush" and having them respond "That's not a toilet, that's a bathtub."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi emdiar,

Can you create a new post with your specific issues and I will investigate. I cannot tell what exact problems you are having from your post. Include info about the precise trouble you are having, such as, "when I try to open the project, my media is offline, etc."

Thanks,
kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, because this issue has been around since the introduction of the product and has never been successfully addressed by Adobe as far as I can tell from searching. I wasn't asking for help, I was offering a viewpoint.

Creative Cloud storage simply does not function as an effective file sync tool between computers. The deduction is that it is not meant to function that way, so people should find alternative solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi emdiar,

Excuse me for not completely understanding your issue. I do not have any "conflicted copies" of my project files so I am trying to figure out why you (and onefjef) are experiencing this error and I'm not.

I will move this post to another forum so that we can get some traction regarding file sync and Creative Cloud.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google Creative Cloud storage conflicted copy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just started using Dropbox to sync my project files. Because it works. Perfectly. Always. It'd be nice to have Creative Cloud working properly, but it's far easier to just take the advice I've gotten over and over on these forums when I mention a feature that isn't working – don't use it.

This conflicted copy bug isn't limited to just a few people – most of my editing friends stopped using the Creative Cloud because of issues like this one. And I don't know a lot about cloud storage, but it's confusing how so many other companies seem to be able to get it working properly, but Adobe can't. Perhaps I'm missing something.

And David_B: Tried all those things long ago, doesn't help. But thank you all the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Dropbox (and two Macs), but have the same problem.

I get a conflicted copy from my MacBook only.  But I will just avoid having the LR Cagalogue on Dropbox and move it to an external HD, using Dropbox just as bakcup.

Hope it's still working fine for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the useful advice, I know this post is super old but they STILL havent fixed it and I'm tired of looking for an answer, just gonna change to One Drive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally conflicted copies are created when attempting to sync the same file from multiple computers. Another possible explanation would be some other application interfering with the operation of the syncing process preventing the Creative Cloud from accessing the file when needed.

Error: "Unable to sync files" to the Adobe Creative Cloud

For some general recommendations:

- Turn off file sync from the Creative Cloud app preferences on all but the computer you are editing on

- Try temporarily turning off any anti-virus software which might be scanning or trying to access the file

- Don't attempt to sync the same file with multiple cloud clients, i.e. don't attempt to sync the same files from Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, etc. simultaneously

I don't know if those apply/help but might be some good things to check to start with

- Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. Using Adobe CC on a Mac and a PC and keep getting conflicted copies. Is there a way to resolve conflicts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Adobe is a disaster. People have been posting about this problem since at least 2013, ZERO resolution. I still get bombarded with endless conflicted copies every single day. The best part is that it will often save the latest version of my file as a conflicted copy, so I have to go through and check the time that each file was saved, otherwise I can't be sure which file is the correct one. Adobe couldn't care less. All they care about is collecting our money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same thing happen! It is very frustrating. Only working on one computer and it is citing my computer as the location of the conflicted copy.

To make matters worse, it is also not saving all changes in my files:

I constantly COMMAND + S as I work on my files. I have now had 5 5(!) instances across 5 separate documents in the last two days that kept generating conflicted copies as I was working on them. I could see these conflicted copies generating in my folders as I worked on the documents.

I still diligently kept COMMAND + S'ing as I completed each document. AND I made sure to save each one upon completion. Then, I exported to pdf... NONE of the design files including the conflicted copies actually saved all of my design changes. The pdfs reflect the final docs with all of the changes I had made, but NONE of the design files that were saved (and created by conflicted copy generation) actually reflect all of the changes. That's insane... and now I have had to go back in and re-do all that work and SAVE AS to rename the file. That renaming seems to be helping a bit, but I don't understand why renaming would fix this glitch and it isn't helpful when I have to follow file naming protocols for my business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Katherine,

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. A few additional questions to better understand the issue.

- What app and version are you saving from that is generating the conflicted copies?

- Do you use any other backup or cloud storage programs that are also working with these same files?

- Could you run the log collector on your system too and send me a link to download log files from your system privately?

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html

- What naming convention are you using for your business and what were you renaming them to that seemed to help?

In order to report the issue I'll need to provide steps on how to reproduce it to engineering. Could you explain the steps needed to cause the behavior? I'll try to reproduce it.

Thanks,

- Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- What app and version are you saving from that is generating the

conflicted copies?

Yesterday I was using InDesign. Version 13.1

- Do you use any other backup or cloud storage programs that are also

working with these same files?

I do not. Only CC cloud for these (and a monthly external harddrive back

up), but will be changing that starting today with this problem.

ALSO I just took a peek at my "recently changed files" and there is a list

of a dozen conflicted copies that were generated overnight that are

completely random .psd files from my cloud storage... which is crazy!

- Could you run the log collector on your system too and send me a link to

download log files from your system privately?

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html

<https://forums.adobe.com/external-link.jspa?url=https%3A%2F%2Fhelpx.adobe.com%2Fcreative-cloud%2Fkb%2Fcc-log-collector.html>

- What naming convention are you using for your business and what were you

renaming them to that seemed to help?

PRODUCT NAME - DESIGNERINITIALS - VERSION MONTH.DAY.YEAR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines