• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creative Cloud Desktop preventing PC from going to sleep

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently started to have the problem where Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop prevents my Computer from entering sleep mode. Normally my screen turns off after 5 minutes and the PC will go to sleep after 20 minutes, but CC recently started to prevent this.

I have confirmed that CC Desktop is the culprit by using the following command:

powercfg -requests

which outputs the following:

DISPLAY:
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume5\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\ACC\Creative Cloud.exe
Video Wake Lock

SYSTEM:
None.

AWAYMODE:
None.

AUSFÜHRUNG:
None.

PERFBOOST:
None.

ACTIVELOCKSCREEN:
None.

When I kill the Creative Cloud procress, my computer is able to go to sleep again.

Why does this occurr and how can I fix this?

Diagnostic info:

Windows 11 Home 21H2 (Build 22000.795) x64

Creative Cloud Desktop (5.8.0.592):

• Applications: 5.8.0.592
  • CCX process: 4.10.0.39
  • CC library: 3.20.5.20

Log collector filename: AdobeLogs_20220801_035626_314-win-GS.zxp

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Thanks for the reply with the MVP information. I used this command line (mentioned by others here) via CMD and fixed it on one of my computers:

powercfg /requestsoverride process "creative cloud.exe" display system

Again, I only did this on one computer. The other computer was left as-is out of curiosity. I finally decided to see what might be causing the video wake lock from Creative Cloud. As it happens, I didn't find the root cause, but I *did* nail down that the fix for this issue do

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2022 Sep 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been experiencing this same problem recently - monitor refuses to sleep. I leave the PC on 24/7, it's polling data from a weather station. I have spent time researching this from the perspective of a Windows 10 issue. I have followed the advice on changing/making power plans to no avail. I have found and used the "powercfg /requests" command and have the same results as mentioned above. I've killed the CC process with the same results, as above. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i wonder if there's some software (in combination, or maybe not, with adobe cc) causing this issue, or a monitor driver issue.  i say this because i have the same os/adobe cc reported as problematic by a few users here

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎8/‎9/‎2020
OS build 19044.1949
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

and

kglad_0-1662303430688.png

and i have no problem with my dell u4320q monitor sleeping.  and that's one thing i've not seen: reports of monitor type/model.

have you all tried updating your monitor driver and/or monitor firmware?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutley Adobe's fault. Just did a fresh clean install of W11. Worked perfect before installing CC, now it's borked and I'm getting the same Video Wake Lock. Adobe, fix it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well how's this for monitor driver/firmware:

One computer uses a GTX 3080 Ti with two 4K LG monitors and Windows 10 Pro

The other computer uses an A4000 with three 4K monitors (2 LG + 1 Insignia) + 1 HD monitor (Samsung) and Windows 10 Enterprise.

Both computers started experiencing a video wake lock and both listed Adobe CC as the culprit. The A4000 computer has been using the same firmware/drivers for a couple months now, but the wake lock didn't show up until after a CC update. The 3080 always has the latest drivers but the wake lock didn't show up until after a CC update. I'm kinda leaning toward CC having an issue, especially since Windows reports that CC is what's keeping the monitors awake...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@clearly adobe cc is the key part of the problem. we've all known that since the op posted their powercfg -request command results more than 1 month ago. 

but it's just as obvious that it's not causing the problem in a vaccuum: there's something(s) cc is interacting with on the problematic computers that's causing the problem.  what that is, i don't know.

i know this problem has been noted for years, but this thread has more activity (ie, users with problems) than any previous computer sleep-problem thread i've seen.

anyway, it's not possible for me to vet possible solutions, because i do not have this problem.  but i did run across something that looks promising from greg carmack, a windows (i know, some mac users have this problem, too) expert.

<copied from https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-and-sleep-option-stops-working/3a16cc05-...

Hi Tasha. I'm Greg, 10 years awarded Windows MVP, specializing in Installation, Performance, Troubleshooting and Activation, here to help you.

Turn off Adobe at startup following Step 4 in this checklist: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for.... It doesn't need to be running when your PC starts, just when you open it to use it.

If that doesn't do it then here is everything that works best for fixing sleep which I've been helping troubleshoot successfully for over a decade:

1) The Display driver is so important here that merely updating it is sometimes not enough. It controls everything about Suspend, Sleep and Hibernate. So let's try everything possible to get it working correctly:

First make sure you have updated the Display driver from the PC or Display adapter maker's Support Downloads web page for your exact model number, HP Serial Number or Dell Service Tag - from the sticker on the PC.

While there check also for newer chipset, BIOS/UEFI firmware (very important), network, sound, USB3 and other drivers, comparing to the ones presently installed in Device Manager reached by right clicking the Start Menu.

If this doesn't give you the latest or ideal driver for what you need, compare it to the driver offered by the Intel driver update Utility here:
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/...

or the Nvidia Update utility here: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=e...

or the AMD autodect utility here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/P...

For Display issues one fix that is working is to Roll back or Uninstall the Driver on the Display Device > Driver tab, restart PC to reinstall driver.

You can also try older drivers in Device Manager > Display device > Driver tab > Update Driver > Browse > Let Me Pick.

Then you will know you've tried everything in addition to Windows Update drivers.

Adjust the screen resolution until it fits and looks best at Settings > System > Display.

2) Next troubleshoot Sleep working properly:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-windows-10-sl...

https://windowsreport.com/fix-windows-8-hiberna... (Avoid ad links which intrude into editorial copy, especially avoid Restoro ad)

https://thegeekpage.com/fix-windows-10-sleep-mo...
https://www.technipages.com/windows-10-wont-sleep

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-fix-the-latest-wi...

What I do is set Power Plan timeouts to 1 minute for Display and Sleep, then 2 minutes for Hibernate. After each step in the tutorials above, restart PC and sit back to observe if the timeouts work. If so set them back to Plan defaults:
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/43774-reset...

If Sleep cannot be fixed for now and Hibernate will work then I'd use it because it's an even better power saver, saves your work to Hiberfile, powers off PC completely, loads the hiberfile when you power back on so it starts faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply with the MVP information. I used this command line (mentioned by others here) via CMD and fixed it on one of my computers:

powercfg /requestsoverride process "creative cloud.exe" display system

Again, I only did this on one computer. The other computer was left as-is out of curiosity. I finally decided to see what might be causing the video wake lock from Creative Cloud. As it happens, I didn't find the root cause, but I *did* nail down that the fix for this issue doesn't require typing anything on a command line, at least not for me.

What I did was open Creative Cloud from the Windows tray area. Once open, I clicked each of the icons at the top-right corner of the CC window, just like this:

Easy as 1-2-3-4.png

And just like magic, I went from this:

C:\Users\justme>powercfg /requests
DISPLAY:
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\ACC\Creative Cloud.exe
Video Wake Lock

To this:

C:\Users\justme>powercfg /requests
DISPLAY:
None.

I literally fixed the problem by clicking four icons in Creative Cloud. I didn't restart anything, didn't reinstall anything, didn't adjust anything and somehow fixed the problem in just seconds.

Unofficial workaround for Adobe Creative Cloud video wake lock bug

1. Open Creative Cloud by double-clicking the icon in your Windows tray.

2. When the CC window opens, click these icons in sequence:

Easy as 1-2-3-4.png

• Fonts
  • Notifications
  • Cloud activity
  • Account

3. Close the CC window.

In case anyone is curious, my fonts window had no messages, I had no notifications in the notification window, my cloud storage showed "File Syncing / Up to date" and the account tab showed that I was logged in. I closed the CC window a few minutes ago and no video wake lock request has been made (yet).

lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good to hear, and now i'm anxious to see if your fix works for others:

per @tsmith35x 

Unofficial workaround for Adobe Creative Cloud video wake lock bug

1. Open Creative Cloud by double-clicking the icon in your Windows tray.

2. When the CC window opens, click these icons in sequence:

• Fonts
  • Notifications
  • Cloud activity
  • Account

3. Close the CC window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. I also had no actual notices for any of these sections but clicking all 4 icons solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@definiv, excellent.  

@tsmith35x, i edited your message to make the key steps easier to find (many users won't wade through useful, but non-essential info).  they just want the 1,2,3,4 steps to fix the problem. and i marked it as correct.  hopefully others will try it too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kglad that's fine to edit as needed. I only included the icon image since the button text is mouse-over (aka mystery meat). lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So on the machine that I've been monitoring (didn't run the override for powercfg), I noticed that it wasn't letting the screens sleep this morning. I ran powercfg to find that Creative Cloud.exe had a video wake lock in place, so I opened the CC app from my Windows tray and checked powercfg again. The request was gone.

It appears that there is an elusive bug in the CC notification logic, since I had no notifications at all, nor were there any app updates. I checked my notification preferences and the only notification type I had marked was "App Updates". I unmarked that last one and will wait and see if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add, simply opening CC was enough to clear the wake lock. I didn't even click anything in the window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tsmith35x, curiouser and curiouser

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just now checked on my usual PC (the one where I had run the request override a while back) and saw that Creative Cloud had a video wake lock in place. I opened up task manager and killed the process for "Adobe Desktop Service.exe", but the video wake lock remained. Then I killed "Creative Cloud.exe" and the wake lock cleared. I restarted Creative Cloud.exe, and it loaded in the foreground. A short bit after it started loading, the video wake lock reappeared. Once the application was fully loaded (in the foreground), the wake lock disappeared.

After watching all of this, I turned off the one remaining notification, App Updates. I'll see if that affects anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2022 Sep 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled all Adobe software and used a registry cleaner to remove the 4,000ish entries left behind. I then did a " repair install" of Windows 10. The repair install did solve another unrelated issue. I have reinstalled some Adobe software and the sleep issue is back, but I've used the "temporary workaround" of clicking the four icons and that is working currently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2022 Sep 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as yet, i don't think @tsmith35x's first solution has failed.  (it wasn't necessary once, but clicking the icons has worked the handful of times i've noted reports of it being used.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue on my MacBook Pro (M1Max).

There was a recent Apple update, but I think that CC also updated recently.

It's definitely CC, causing the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it's a coding problem on Adobe's side ... many reports of the issue and yet NO fixes from Adobe.  See here.  My solution to to stop CC from loading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rob Ainscough,

what about @tsmith35x's fix.  does that work for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That "fix" will not work if one doesn't have appropriate user account permissions.  Not something I would recommend as a "workaround", you can get more info on Powercfg command line here

The easiest solution is to NOT load CC at startup and only run CC when/if one feels the need to check fonts/update status.

Disable CCDisable CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a temporary fix, would need to be done each time it pops up (after restarts, updates, etc). Root issue is a software bug. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the root issue involves something particular to the computers seeing this problem and adobe cc.

because it's been reported episodically for years, it's unlikely to be fixed by adobe soon, so you plan on finding a solution (temporary or not) that best suits you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the first time I've seen CC cause "sleep" and/or screen saver activiation issues ... and I've been running CC long long before it turn into a subscription service.

As far as Adobe fixing, no idea, I do know they (Adobe) get filtered information from here back to the engineers so maybe this will motivate a PM to actually address the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you (anyone) can report directly, https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a feature request, it's a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines