Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit library assets within program without affecting linked cloud file

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2016 Jun 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm using Creative Cloud on Mac OSX and all programs are up-to-date. I have a two part question.

1. Is there a way to edit a library asset within an Adobe program without affecting the linked cloud file? If so, how?

2. If it's not possible to do that, what's the best practice for editing a library asset without affecting the linked file? Do I have to embed the file in the document? Create a new asset with the adjusted attributes and use that asset?

As an example of what I'm trying to do, I have a logo in a Creative Cloud library that I'm using in an Illustrator document. The asset is black, I'd like to make it the company's Pantone blue color within illustrator, however it won't let me change it locally. It seems as though I have to open the file in the library, adjust it, save it and use that asset. However, I don't want that linked asset to change color in all the other documents I've used it. So, what I've done is save a separate cloud asset with the logo as that color. This seems superfluous and unsustainable. Every time I have a variation of a cloud asset shouldn't necessitate me saving a new version of it for that specific use. My library is going to get cluttered, fast.

If this isn't part of how the library assets work, in my opinion, it should be. Being able to adjust an asset locally, even if it's a minimal pallet of adjustments, without changing the linked file's attributes, seems like a no-brainer.

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 21, 2016 Jun 21, 2016

Ah, that's helpful. I hadn't tried that. At least that's easier than opening the asset and copying and pasting from there. Thank you for your reply.

I still wish it was possible to change an aspect of a linked asset without changing the asset in the cloud. That way if something changed about the asset "globally" it could be changed and reflected in each document, while maintaining that "local" attribute. Is that functionality not possible currently? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anythi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2016 Jun 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you know you won't need that logo / color combination in other documents you can right click on the library asset and place a copy. This will allow you to change the color for that document without it cluttering up your library.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2016 Jun 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah, that's helpful. I hadn't tried that. At least that's easier than opening the asset and copying and pasting from there. Thank you for your reply.

I still wish it was possible to change an aspect of a linked asset without changing the asset in the cloud. That way if something changed about the asset "globally" it could be changed and reflected in each document, while maintaining that "local" attribute. Is that functionality not possible currently? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2016 Jun 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines