• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Had to cancel an event due to lack of Internet

Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been running "photo booths" at vendor fairs and festivals for years, they're very successful and profitable and people really enjoy them. I setup a backdrop and a few strobes, take people's photos, then sell the results. I have on-site photo printers that allow people to walk away with prints in hand, and a code on the back of the print to allow people to buy the digital copy or more prints on my website. My workflow currently depends on Lightroom, with my camera tethered to a laptop with a long USB cable. It's been super reliable for years.

So last week there was a big local festival. I paid to book a spot there for my photo booth. Hauled my hundreds of pounds of gear. Picked a prime spot before anyone else got there, and spent over an hour setting up. My hired assistants showed up, as expected. Then 30 minutes before the festival was set to open, I started up my laptop to get the software ready (which I had confirmed was functional and up to date before leaving home).

Disaster: Lightroom Classic refused to start. Why? No Internet connection. No cell signal. Nothing. This festival was out in the boonies. I brought my generator and enough gas to run it for 8 hours, but that didn't get me any kind of Internet signal. None of my Creative Cloud software would run. They all tried to authenticate online before starting, and they all failed and shut down without giving me any other option.

Basically I was screwed. I was out my sign-up fee, had to pay my assistants for showing up, packed everything up and went home. The organizers were very disappointed, my booth had been one of the advertised services.

After years and years of doing these photo booths without issues, this is the first time I came across this infuriating issue. The whole thing cost me $280 and a whole lot of reputation, not to mention the lost income. I am seriously angry, I'm not sure I want anything to do with this subscription garbage anymore. My software was authenticated on my laptop literally a couple of hours before the event. There's no good reason why it should've locked me out just because it couldn't dial home.

If there's a solution to help prevent this from ever happening again, I'd love to know what it is. Otherwise, I think it's time to give up on this whole subscription nonsense and move onto real software that I can depend on. It'll mean coming up with an entire new workflow from scratch, but at least I won't have such a disaster happen again.

TOPICS
Cloud storage web assets , Collaboration , File sync , Libraries

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1 - what MAY work is to start your laptop and open the program at home, and keep your laptop on so the program does not have to do a startup check

or

2 - I don't think Photoshop Elements does any checkin after being activated http://www.adobe.com/products/elements-family.html

- but I'm not 100% sure of that, since my desktop computer is always connected to the internet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lack of Internet signal would be something the festival's organizers should have considered, don't you think? 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is Vermont, over half the state has no Internet whatsoever (wired or OTA). Events without Internet happen successfully all the time in all kinds of places. My software has never had to dial home before. Your comment comes off as very narrow-minded and elitist. You're exactly zero help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your comment comes off as very narrow-minded and elitist. You're exactly zero help.

==============

I'm sorry you feel that way.  But my point is this:  festival organizers might be enticed to refund your fees if you can make a convincing enough case for it. 

Unfortunately, Adobe can't help you because the system requirements specifically state that an Internet connection is required.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/system-requirements.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html

Goodbye and good luck.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't want my money back, I want software that works. If the way the software works has changed recently, then I haven't been made aware of it. I've been a Creative Cloud subscriber for 8 years, 7 of those for the full suite and not just the photographer's bundle. That's $4500 invested in this software for my business. I've done countless events where there was no Internet available and everything worked fine. But this time, it screwed me completely. So now I can't trust it anymore? I've wasted that investment and have to start over from scratch after having locked myself into this ecosystem? That's complete BS... I can't believe I actually advocated for this subscription model for all these years. Turns out all the nay-sayers were right after all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines