• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign files - CC 'unable to sync'

Explorer ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless I switch off 'sync files' via CC desktop app, every time I save an ID file I get an "unable to sync" message from CC app.

CC doesn't say the problem's 'due to server error', nor do I have any strange non-unix characters in my file names.

I've read on forums that CC doesn't like the ghost '.idlk' file ID creates when you're working on a file.

Well, as ID is an Adobe app, isn't this a conflict they should've addressed by now?

Or, more likely, I'm not doing something v basic...?

Many thanks

TOPICS
File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Thanks for your time, David

Both threads were interesting reads with useful background info.

However, post 1 just confirms CC sync doesn't cater for ID because of the rogue indk files it creates.

Post 2, meanwhile, covers a slightly different matter - the inability of a team to collaborate on a file, as its invisible indk offshoot means team members keep overwriting each other's work (the same thread acknowledges the workaround of InCopy and rightly concludes it's unrealistic in a team of more than

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello goatian - Where are you saving your InDesign files to? Are you connected to the internet? What version of InDesign are you using? What kind of file are you attempting to save (InDesign document, template, or IDML)? What operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I'm working in CC 'mirror' folder on my desktop. My internet connection is always on, and my ID version is up to date. The files I'm saving are just good 'ol, plain ID files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Goatian,

If you look in the Creative Cloud files folder what is the name of the files(s) which are failing to sync?

Thanks,

- Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2017 May 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I get 'unable to sync' for ALL files, whatever they're called.

A file could be called "bob.indd" - it still gets 'unable to sync'.

Ta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any thoughts...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, Dave, I'm pretty sure now that the '.idlk' file ID creates when a file is open is the problem.

This is because the 'unable to sync' alert only appears when a file is open.

When a file is closed, syncing is fine.

Naturally, I don't want to have to pause syncing every time I use ID (which is most of the time).

Ta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was noticing in the unable to sync files specifically references the InDesign lock file and mentions it causing issues syncing because the file is in use. Error: "Unable to sync files" to the Adobe Creative Cloud It sounds like its a known limitation.

I was reading through this thread too in case its helpful

InDesign Lock Files (.idlk) in Creative Cloud Files

Best,

- Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your time, David

Both threads were interesting reads with useful background info.

However, post 1 just confirms CC sync doesn't cater for ID because of the rogue indk files it creates.

Post 2, meanwhile, covers a slightly different matter - the inability of a team to collaborate on a file, as its invisible indk offshoot means team members keep overwriting each other's work (the same thread acknowledges the workaround of InCopy and rightly concludes it's unrealistic in a team of more than one designers).

Alas, neither path works for me. I mainly work on my own, and just want the file I'm working on to save without the niggly 'unable to sync' appearing every time I save (oddly enough, the rather more primitive cloud sharing platform Dropbox doesn't suffer the same problem. I'd just use Dropbox - if it wasn't for the fact I don't trust clients once a folder is shared !).

My primitive workaround is to pause CC syncing while I work on a file, then switch it back on when I've finished with it and want CC to suck up a backup. Gee - might as well just save to an external disc, and occasionally turn on sync, once a wk perhaps.

I'm flabbergasted this elephant in the room hasn't sparked more howls of outrage across forums. Which means I'm still open to the possibility that the problem could well have something to do with my set-up (mac os x 10.11.6).

A lot of words to many may just be a glitch, eh? But happiness comes in details...

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update: CC also 'unable to sync' open Photoshop files, which kinda blows my ID .idlk file theory outta the water @

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may seem like a step waaaay back, but are you sure you are logged into CC with a paid adobe ID account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup - stable internet connection, and logged into CC with paid membership

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering if your Creative Cloud desktop app should be re-installed:

Download Adobe Creative Cloud apps | Free Adobe Creative Cloud trial

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jake – I've had this problem for over a year now, during which time I think I've reinstalled desktop CC about 4-5 times...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry to hear this, goatian. I had a similar problem a year or so ago, but I'm failing to remember how I fixed it.

Is your CC max'd out on capacity? Meaning, have you used up all of the space allotted to you with your membership? Even if you are paying for additional space, is there enough to save everything to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on 65%, Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to File Hosting, Syncing, and Collaboration​

Hi Ian,

Please refer to the steps mentioned in the help document Error: "Unable to sync files" to the Adobe Creative Cloud

Let me know if that helps!

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Sheena – I've read that doc... a few times, hence putting in my initial note that it's not down to a server error or non-unix characters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woah! I'm returning to this post, which for some reason Adobe Forum has tagged as "solved" ! Why? It was never solved, nor did i suggest it had been solved? Why has it been tagged solved? I still get "unable to sync files" - with a very fast b/band connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2017 Sep 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe Forum - please do your magic stuff and reformat this thread as "STILL UNSOLVED" or whatever more polite phrasing you prefer. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines