• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Portfolio links not working

Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created some websites using Portfilio and they're great. I include some links to other websites and "mailto" emails. These links work fine for me but not for everyone. I've had clients say the links simply do not work when they view the website. Why is that?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

This is true for ALL websites, not just Portfolio. 

Mailto links don't DO anything unless users have an email client like Outlook or Apple Mail set-up on their devices.  Most people don't use email clients anymore, not since web-based email systems like Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc...  have replaced them. An actual contact form is the most reliable way for your site visitors to reach you.  It also helps reduce spam.

Portfolio makes it simple with the one-click Contact Form Module.  See link be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, no help here... See Employee Dave's reply "Portfolio team asked us to close up shop here"
-this link has all of the currently available information on Portfolio
-https://community.adobe.com/t5/download-install/is-portfolio-still-being-developed/td-p/11583268?pag...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is true for ALL websites, not just Portfolio. 

Mailto links don't DO anything unless users have an email client like Outlook or Apple Mail set-up on their devices.  Most people don't use email clients anymore, not since web-based email systems like Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc...  have replaced them. An actual contact form is the most reliable way for your site visitors to reach you.  It also helps reduce spam.

Portfolio makes it simple with the one-click Contact Form Module.  See link below.

https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036484493-Contact-Form-module

Post back if you have any questions.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy, that's really interesting. Thanks for that.

I use a contact form for people to contact me which is great. But one of the websites I run is a sort of directory with links to other businesses, their websites and email addresses.

How can I show those other websites and email addresses so that they work for everyone?

Any help much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"But one of the websites I run is a sort of directory with links to other businesses, their websites and email addresses."

So in other words, you're running an e-mail spam farm. 

When you post e-mail addresses on a publicly visible website,  you're putting up a virtual neon sign to the whole world including spam bots and robot harvesters saying, "Hey, look at me!  I'm an e-mail address!  Go ahead and sell me to every spammer in the world and then spam the hell out me until my service provider gets fed up and closes the account. Or worse blacklists my domain for spam and shuts it down."  

You can safely link to external URLs from Portfolio. See links below about that.  But please don't be tempted to publish e-mail addresses online.  You're not providing a service to anyone except spammers.

https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036484193-Button-module

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point. Thank you. All the entries have been approved by the people concerned but maybe they don't realise what you're saying about spamming. I'll have a think about removing the email addresses and replacing with telephone numbers but it's certainly a very convenient way to get in touch. Thanks for your guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have an unlisted phone number for the same reason I don't publish my e-mail online.  I hate junk/robo calls as much as spam.

In this digital age, a scripted contact form or a secure online messaging system is the ONLY way for people to safely and reliably connect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines