Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Use Subdomain differently from a domain connected with Adobe Portfolio

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I have got a problem with my domain I have connected with Adobe Portfolio. I can use it in a normal way but I want to use a new subdomain from my domain differently, especially not with Adobe Portfolio. But no matter what I upload in my web space connected with the subdomain, I always get redirected to an Adobe Portfolio Page, which says that the page is missing (https://portfolio.adobe.com/missing). 
Does someone know how to solve this problem? I am looking forward to hearing from you! 

Laurin

TOPICS
Cloud storage web assets , File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

See link below for details on using a subdomain with your Portfolio site.

https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010295214-Configuring-a-custom-subdomain

To answer your question about using a subdomain on a different server, you'll need to change the DNS settings from your domain provider's website.  Point the subdomain's A records to your new server's IP address.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See link below for details on using a subdomain with your Portfolio site.

https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010295214-Configuring-a-custom-subdomain

To answer your question about using a subdomain on a different server, you'll need to change the DNS settings from your domain provider's website.  Point the subdomain's A records to your new server's IP address.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

thanks for your answer. I have got several A Records, do I have to change all of them to the same new IP Address or just the ones for the subdomain?

Laurin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the link I posted above.

If you change all A records to a new server, then everything will direct to your new server.  Is that what you want? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I will read it! 

No, I only want to redirect certain subsomains to something else than a portfolio site, for example a shop or another CMS from my webspace I have!

Laurin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laurin,

Did you ever figure this out? I had the same goal with a domain I manage. ie to map my portfolio page (hosted by Adobe) to mydomain.com while also redirecting to a shop page (hosted elsewhere) at store.mydomain.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read about custom domain names.

Primary domain goes to Portfolio IP address.

Sub-domain goes to 3rd party IP address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nancy, I have a similiar need where I would like to use my portfolio site hosted by Adobe: 

myportfolio.com & have a custom domain live simultaneously: mydomain.com. Is that possible? It looks like I always get redirected to the site I'm working on (pointing to in the settings). If that's the case then would the subdomain work for me? Would I need to set up another record with my provider?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Michael Dunlap,

A domain name can point to only one server location.  It's your unique mailing address.  When Google users type your domain name into a web search, the URL should resolve to your site on the named server to which that domain is associated through your domain provider's website.

For example:

Mysite1.com = server 1 (Dreamhost)

Mysite2.com = server 2 (Portfolio)

Mysite3.com = server 3 (WordPress)

So to answer your question, if you pay for it you can have as many domains and websites as you want.  But only one custom domain name can be used with Portfolio.

https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/en-us/articles/209448927-Using-a-custom-domain-with-Adobe-Portfolio

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood. My question was if I could have the subdomain (name.myportfolio.com) & the custom domain active at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would be the point of that?  When users land on your default portfolio site, only one domain address can appear in their browser's address bar.

FYI, you can publish up to 5 portfolio sites  -- each with their own myportfolio.com  URL.  Maybe that's what you're looking for.

https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036117214-Managing-multiple-sites

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nancy,

"The reason for that" is having the ability to duplicate collections and then publish them to two different sites. As a user, I would like to easily duplicate an entire website so that I don't need to recreate the experience from scratch. This need has been surfaced in other forums with Adobe Portfolio previously. That way as a user I could manage two websites very easily in two different addresses (myportfolio.com & custom domain). It sounds like this isn't possible though and Adobe Portfolio will only point to either a custom IP or the subdomain. After testing it looks like that's the case. When the custom domain is removed the user is redirected to the subdomain regardless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can duplicate pages & collections/galleries within the same site. 

https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360035498634-Duplicating-pages

https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036472833-Duplicating-Galleries

A second site -- be it a collection, special events or splash page  -- should link to your main Portfolio site where all that info is already published and presumably getting decent SEO traction.  Having duplicate content on more than one domain would not help you.  In fact, Google could penalize you for it.

https://developers.google.com/search/docs/advanced/guidelines/duplicate-content

That said, please feel free to submit Feature Requests to Adobe Portfolio on UserVoice where the product developers will see them.

https://adobeportfolio.uservoice.com/forums/921673-adobe-portfolio-feedback-suggestions

Good luck with your project!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm having a bit of an issue as well, except - We have the 'domain.com' and many 'subdomains.domain.com' pointing to different sites, etc, and wish to just point one subdomain to an Adobe Portfolio address.
This is using Network Solutions. How would you go about configuring that? Note that Network solutions will not allow you to add multiple IP addresses for a single A record subdomain. Is it possible to achieve this?
Thanks in advance 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys i have a kinda similar question 

i would like to host both a domain and a subdomain using adobe portfolio is it possible?

1-  domain.com (coming soon template) 

2-  blog.domain.com ( portfolio template)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so.   But you may have up to 5 Portfolio sites.  1 with custom domain and 4 with generic myportfolio URLs.

• Site 1: your_domain.com (main site)
  • Site 2: your_name.myportfolio.com
  • Site 3: your_name_xyz.myportfolio.com

- Contact Portfolio Support - https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/requests/new?ticket_form_id=177168

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer

But can i host my portfolio on subdomain instead of main domain 

i would like to host my portfolio on:

Blog.my_donain.com

instead of hosting on : my_domain.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Like I said, I don't think it works that way. But you need to ask Portfolio Support for an official answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines