• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the impact of disabling startup services?

Engaged ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As my Windows 10 x64 was/is getting slightly slower than before, I checked out sites to improve its performance.
Found a 'Tip' recommending to have a look at the Startup-processes and found a list of applications running at startup whereas I launch them manually.
Photoshop, Acrobat, they are not residing in Windows' taskbar.

The following items are running at startup:
- AcroTray
- Adobe Collaboration Synchronizer 20.5
- Adobe CS6 Service Manager
- Adobe Updater Startup Utility
- SwitchBoard Server (32 bit)
- Adobe GC Invoker Utility

Each item, I do not know what it is doing.
OTOH I hesistate to set them to 'Disable', having no idea about the impact: will it improve the system, but will specific features be disabled, like "Convert to Adobe PDF" and "Combine files in Acrobat".

Appreciate views on this.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Start up processes are typically there for a reason.  Disabling them could block your access to critical software & services.  

I disable non-essential software at startup but I always keep backups of what I'm doing, just in case anything goes wrong. 

Improving PC Performance on Win10:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/tips-to-improve-pc-performance-in-windows-b3b3ef5b-5953-fb6a-2528-4bbed82fba96#Category=Windows_10

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you could 

1 google each of those to learn what they do or

2. disable each and check the result.  if you're unhappy with the result, re-enable.

<moved from acrobat >

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start up processes are typically there for a reason.  Disabling them could block your access to critical software & services.  

I disable non-essential software at startup but I always keep backups of what I'm doing, just in case anything goes wrong. 

Improving PC Performance on Win10:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/tips-to-improve-pc-performance-in-windows-b3b3ef5b-5953-...

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the late response here.

Reasons for this question was that 

1. the shutdown of my PC was slow (normally about 10 seconds or so, but for a couple of weeks well over a minute, with quite some SSD activity)

2. The Windows event log showed quite a number of warnings/errors referring to either one of the above services and a specific .dll of my (3rd party) AV-software

3) Disabling all non-Microsoft software resulted in the usual 10-seconds shutdown.

That said, I wasn't sure about the effects of disabling services.

Anyway, I completely uninstalled the AV software and resorted to Windows native Defender, being quite capable nowadays and is ranking amost other top AV software in AV-test.org.

The event log errors are gone and the shutdown is fast again.

Matter solved.
(Sad though for my 4-PC AV license, valid uptil 2027: I would have to go thru all kinds logging and of debugging things. Right now I am not sure whether I want to do that all)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

glad to hear you found the culprit. 

to find it, did you do as i suggested or just guess?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines