• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the maximum path length (Characters) allowed for my Adobe Cloud Storage?

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please tell what the allowed maximum path length (Characters) is, for my Adobe Creative Cloud Storage? 

I've got files or directories that have a file path that are too long for Creative Cloud Services synchronization. Creative Cloud Desktop reports them as unsychronized. 

At the moment, i cannot change these names. For future prevention, i'd like to know character length restrictions of paths. 

TOPICS
Cloud storage web assets , File sync

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mpek 

Are you requesting the information for files synced through the "Creative Cloud Files" Folder? Which version of the operating system you are using? We're here to help, just need some info.

Regards,

Tarun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The operating system is Windows 10 and 11. 

I opened a different topic intentionally, because this thread is about how to delete all files at once from deleted files in Creative Cloud Services. This is going to be mixed up with my additional question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2022 May 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. Please check the below screenshot and let us know if that helps:

image (8).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes sure. 

C:\Users\someuser\Creative Cloud Files\

The files that become available at: 

assets.adobe.com/files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your findings. 

That differs from Windows behavior. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/fileio/maximum-file-path-limitation?tabs=cmd

Why is that?

MAX_PATH in Windows is 260 characters.

Usable for characters are 256 characters.

MaximumComponentLength is 255 characters.

Where do the other 5 characters go, when 250 are available for Asset names in Creative Cloud Files?

Does Creative Cloud Desktop counts characters/paths after Adobe Creative Cloud Files Folder (C:\Users\someuser\Creative Cloud Files\)?

Is the path on the machine Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop is working on, part of the absolute path? Then C:\Users\someuser\Creative Cloud Files\ would be added. 

I'm just wondering, because I've got issues not all files synching and would like to find out, how long the maximum file path can be, to prevent future sync issues with "Creative Cloud Files". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mpek,

If you're keeping synced files in the default install location on your primary C drive, it will be C:\Users[your_name]\Creative Cloud Files\some-filename.ext

The path on your computer is irrelevant.  What matters here is the filename. 

Ideally, filenames should be not more than 250 characters  -- no spaces or special characters (~!&^%$#) allowed.   However, 25 characters or less is more realistic and it's okay to use hyphen -, underscore_ or dot . within filenames. 

Can you show us the filename from one of your so-called forbidden assets? 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming, that the path on computer is irrelevant.
Everything after \Creative Cloud Files\ will be synced.

I guess "25" characters is a typo?

I've got a file that has a filename of 180 characters plus 3 character extension. 

Example:
uaopcc4ZlJcLTL24COjI6nbv_UBzr-zsD9mMKD9qHagF51bopQthwhWEUUPEdROOSd5QecykykS7ey6SsJsfe48ELbNMCP7IAgNOsAKQC-JlUzLuYME_Wq8pFySTYWJeqKFYk05PzReDlZkb6Pji1nXB3VVrEUUxiyyet6jQzNkhu0UTYQ==.d8r

Path on computer has 40 characters: 
...Creative Cloud Files\Data\d\DR\4CV5MLM37SMX2LHKOXRN2NYBTQVQR5\
3-level directory with letters and numbers only

In total used character length (180+4+40=) 224 characters

I've seen that there are " = " (equal) present and could cause a problem, are these allowed?

Regarding the possible 250 characters available for path length, 26 possible characters are left to be used. 

Even though the total path does not exceed 250 characters, I have to shorten the path/filename of that example in order to have it synced with Creative Cloud Files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, there is nothing to be gained from using excessively long filenames that have no meaning to humans. 

I suggest you rename all such files and try to stick with common-sense naming conventions. 

25 alpha-numeric characters should be sufficient.  If not, then use abbreviations -- i.e: lg-wht-logo1.png., sm-blk-logo2.png, night-sky-500x350.jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that you have told us what you think, you still have the chance to answer my questions or pass them to someone who can. Thank you in advance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said above, special characters are not allowed.  == is a function used in programming and thus not allowed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you did not mention above the equal character to be not allowed to use for naming.

Please send a link where to find unusable characters for Creative Cloud Files synching.

Actually, many files and directories using equal character are being synchronized!

The files/paths, that are being shortened are being synced as well, including equal character.

I still wonder now, where these unusable 26 characters are gone, for the full path.

A full path can have 250 characters, but my example has 26 characters to go, but is not synched, while names with equal characters in it are being synchronized. Why can't these be used? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, please pass this to someone who has more knowledge with this topic. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/arent-my-files-syncing.html?mv=product&mv2=accc

Equal character not listed to be forbidden! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a user-to-user forum.  Contact technical support.  They'll tell you to shorten your file names.

CONTACT ADOBE SUPPORT:
================
Online Chat: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen
Phone M-F, during normal business hours: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact/phone.html

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines