• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not able to open library books on my Kobo Glo: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened"

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2016 Feb 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to read library books in ADE 4.5.1.133054 on my Macbook running OSX 10.11.2, and I have no problem transferring files to my Kobo. But when I try to open them on my Kobo, I get the message: "Oops! This document couldn't be opened" due to DRM issues.

My Macbook and Kobo both have the same valid adobe ID authorization. I can also download and open Toronto library books onto my iPad and read them in the Overdrive app. 

I have done a factory reset on my Kobo, ensured that the Kobo is running the latest version, uninstalled and re-installed ADE on my Macbook, deauthorized and reauthorized both my Macbook and Kobo. Nothing has worked.I am stuck!

The problem is recent. Previously I never had any difficulties transferring books from my desktop ADE to my Kobo and reading them on my Kobo.  Do any readers out there have any suggestions?  Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2016 May 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why did you have to " renamed and moved the Digital Editions folder so there could be no possibility of reusing any files in that folder"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2017 May 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this above and  I am still getting error when I try and open a book.  I go to open it and I still am getting the computer is not authorized.  When I go to put in my Adobe I'd and password in then gives me the error that "the vendor account you entered is not associated with the item you are trying to open".  I have a Kobo Aura H2O.    Getting very aggravated at  at this point due to never had an issue between ADE and my Sony reader but Sony discontinued the ereaders and their store and dumped us with Kobo.  Kobo reader is almost double the price and I have had nothing but issues for the last three weeks since I bought it.  Can someone PLEASE HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever deauthorize your Sony ereader?

This issue seems to happen a lot to people who either change eireaders or computers, and I think it is a matter of old device information staying stuck somewhere.

In my case, I purchased a used kobo and in was still logged in under the previous owner when I first downloaded Kobo desktop etc. This got "stuck" somewhere causing a recognition issue in ADE. To resolve the issue, I basically had to remove everything and start from scratch. This included removing files from the ADE library, but also going in and deleting everything using file manager, and going in to windows registry to delete authorization information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did deauthorize my computer and deleted everything and changed the file name with the ebooks that I had.   The Sony reader died so I couldn't deauthorize it.  I also didn't delete it from the registry.  Not sure what file to look for or how to get to the registry file.  Can you deauthorize from the ADE website?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can find instructions for modifying the registry quite easily, search "regedit ade". Below is one example.

Windows:

Close all applications.

Click Start > run.

Open, type regedit in the text box and press ENTER. The Registry Editor opens.

In the left pane of the registry editor, locate the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adept

Select the key of the follower.

Choose file > export.

In the export registry file dialog box, select the branch selected under export range. Enter a name and location for the backup registry key, and then click Save.

Right click on the key to the follower, and then choose Remove.

In the dialog box confirm the key deletion, click OK.

Close the registry editor.

Open Adobe Digital Editions and reauthorize

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2017 May 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but for someone not technical at all your explanation is somewhat cryptic. I can find the right folder but could you explain  how I find the key of the follower - what is meant by that ? The device folder ? or somethingelse? Thanks in advance for your help 🙂 I'm getting desperate...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this with the registry and deleted the key file and it did not work.   I am still getting the error that the vendor account you entered is not associated with the item you are trying to open. Try again. Any other ideas that might work. You call Adobe and they will not help with the Adobe Digital Editions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted everything.  I went to my digital file in my downloads and deleted all the books, thumbnail photos and anything with the book titles in it. 

I've been able to move them onto my Kobo touch but still get the Oops message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not wanting to delete everything due to I have around 350 books that I bought previously and the two places have gone out of business.  If I delete them I lose them.  Sony and Books on Board do not have a website you can redownload from.   I really appreciate everyone's help on this.  Just frustrating.  Might try emailing them to myself and then deleting them.  Any other ideas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2017 May 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not have to delete any of the ebooks I bought or got from other sources, just all traces of any downloaded using ADE (books borrowed through my public library).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2016 Jul 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same thing happened to me this morning..i could read last night before bed, and all of a sudden this morning "Oops" message pops up! WTF!! spent hours working on this doing everything kobo live chat told me to do and un-authorized, re-authorized, un-installed, re-installed..on, off..etc...this really sucks because this is a brand new kobo glo and for the past 5 years i NEVER had a problem with my old kobo..til it died....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2016 Aug 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that what you suggest works, judging from the responses. But it could be more reasonable to flood both Adobe and Kobo with emails and phone calls as there is, quite clearly, a communication problem between the two, each likely thinking it is the other's fault. This said, I would guess that Adobe is a bit more to blame since the problem does not appear for everyone and even in my case (if I remember correctly), it is only one of  the two libraries I use whose books won't open. The culprit is very likely something very stupid in the code and those who wrote them at either side ought to be able to find it. They should also check the software they provide to libraries.

I have tried many things and ready many comments and vented frustrations (including mine when it happened to me) and have sort of given up - the books that do not open I read on my tablet in Overdirive even though the screen is not as pleasant and the tablet big (Note 12.2).  I will also try the Kobo on the tablet, for testing purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2016 Aug 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS to the preceeding post. I posted the following about a month ago and it leads me to the wish to do another few tests.

1. I will try my wife's Kobo.

2. I will go to a store and ask to try a new Kobo

This will at least tell me if it is my Kobo or if it is general. In case it is my Kobo, I will suggest we all get together and demand replacement. But only if the tests are conclusive (and in that case I will also apologise to Adobe),

This is the old email:

It is actually more complicated than that.

I downloaded a second (random) book to test. All worked perfectly well, but the first book still would not open on the Kobo (repeat: I had de-authorised and re-authorised both the PC and the Kobo). I concluded the problem was with the file (which is what ADE or Kobo, cannot recall which, suggested) and wrote a longish message to the library asking them to refresh the file. As soon as I sent the message, the book became readable.

My feeling is that there is a problem with my Kobo. It does do strange things from time to time, unlike the first one I had (that I gave to my wife so I can buy the Glo and read in the dark).

Conclusion: still have no real idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 08, 2016 Sep 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please try following below steps and check whether this helps in resolving the issue:

1.        De-Authorize Adobe account by navigating to Settings->Accounts on the KOBO device.
  2.        Launch ADE 4.5.2 (latest version). You may install it from Download | Adobe Digital Editions in case you do not have the latest version.
  3.        Connect KOBO to Adobe Digital Editions.
  4.        Select the device listed from ADE left-side panel.
  5.        Click on device options and authorize KOBO.

Kindly try this and let me know if this helps.

Regards,

Sharad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2016 Sep 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, no.

I have tried this a great many times, it never works. Even when

miraculously sometime later the book becomes available on the Kobo, it

seems unrelated to the procedure. That is, I can do it many times,

including a a factory reset on the Kobo, and still get "not authorised",

but a day or two later the book, even though in black in the Kobo page

(i.e. not authorised) suddenly becomes authorised.

gh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2017 Mar 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth EVERYTHING covered/suggested in these links has been tried and NOTHING has worked !  Factory resets,  both old and new ADE versions tried , directory renaming, deauthorizing and reauthorizing, licensing resets, downloading different books etc. etc. and all done/tried in varying combinations and sequences and the Oops message STILL keep appearing !  Nobody, inlcuding anyone connected to either Adobe or Kobo seems to have a reliable answer or want to take responsibility for anything so it looks like the only solution for the rest of us is to dump the Adobe/Kobo association and look for better alternatives. Googling this problem shows that it's existed for a LONG time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have tried all these things and nothing works.  My Kobo Touch worked just fine until I downloaded ADE 4.5, then everything quit working.   I have also done the Factory Reset, authorize, unauthorize, uninstall, install, etc., etc.  Getting very frustrated.  There has to be a solution to this problem somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the same for me, my kobo used to work fine and now NOTHING works, I have tried EVERYTHING

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2017 May 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me. I've tried everything suggested here (except the time zone change) - nothing helps.

Getting truly frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Kobo desktop installed? If so, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling it? I think that is what actually worked for me, but make sure you deauthorize both your computer and your kobo device in ADE first.

If successful, when you go to download the book from Overdrive, you should get a popup warning that you need to have ADE authorized on the computer in order to download - you will have to reauthorize your device before the download will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with above poster. Nothing works to fix this problem. I think the problem is with Kobo .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe while this is free software this is what we HAVE to use to move books to our Kobo ereader. If you won't support it when there is a problem offer an alternative...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you read my post again. I stated quite clearly that I felt the problem is at the Kobo end. Did you not pay for your Kobo lol?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 15, 2017 Apr 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem, and like many others have tried everything suggested with no success. Is there a solution to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes there is a solution .It's not perfect but it worked for me. You have to do a factory reset on your Kobo. After it boots up again DO NOT connect to the Kobo web site. You should now be able to open librairy books on your reader. My instructions may not be as clear as some other posters so search in the Kobo forums for a better "how to" on this solution but it worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines