• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Digital Editions can't handle two Adobe IDs - what can I do?

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that Nook are closing their UK operations and we're being moved over to Sainsburys Entertainment instead.

One of the requirements of the transfer is that we have to download and install Adobe Digital Editions on the computer (Windows 7 Pro) then use it to 'Authorise' both the computer and the Nook, in order to download books first to the computer and then transfer to the Nook.

I did all this and it worked perfectly well. I got an Adobe ID, ran and installed ADE, authorised the computer and then authorised my Nook. I bought a book, downloaded and transferred it to my Nook. All good - everything worked as it should.

Next, I got an Adobe ID for my wife because she has a Nook as well. Remember that ADE is already on the computer and the computer is already authorised, so now I connect her Nook to authorise it with her Adobe ID. ADE sees that there's an unauthorised Nook attached but the only ID it has to authorise it with is mine, not hers, and it won't allow me to input her ID anywhere.

Of course, this isn't going to work because we both have separate Nook (and now, Sainsburys) accounts with different books in them and different credit/debit cards paying for them, so she obviously needs to have her own Nook authorised with her own ID - doesn't she?

So, what do we do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

sorcerer schrieb:

I can understand the device (the Nook e-reader itself) being locked to one ID, but the computer is only being used to get the book onto the Nook. If there are 4 Nooks in the house, the computer should be allowed to download all books, then as each Nook connects, the ID should come into play so that each Nook only gets what each ID is authorised for.

However, I can now see that it doesn't work like that so I'll just have to try the merging of accounts.

Thanks again Nanaky.

I

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nanaky, I'll bear that in mind if we can't find a better solution but it's not really the answer I was hoping for.

The link you gave says "You want to view the same content on multiple eReader devices or IDs with Adobe Digital Editions" but we don't want to do that. I have my account with my books and she has her account with her books and we don't want to view the same content at all.

Surely we cannot be the only household in the entire world where more than one person has a Nook? There's got to be a way of authorising two different Nooks (and accounts) on one computer - hasn't there?

Thanks again though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you can one device authorize only with one adobe not more then one Adobe ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!!! SERIOUSLY???

That's VERY poor software design isn't it?

Ok, thanks Nanaky, guess we'll have to try your merging suggestion. Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not a problem of the software its a problem of the desire of publishers. Ebooks are should linked with only one adobe id so can only authoirze the device with one Adobe ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can understand the device (the Nook e-reader itself) being locked to one ID, but the computer is only being used to get the book onto the Nook. If there are 4 Nooks in the house, the computer should be allowed to download all books, then as each Nook connects, the ID should come into play so that each Nook only gets what each ID is authorised for.

However, I can now see that it doesn't work like that so I'll just have to try the merging of accounts.

Thanks again Nanaky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorcerer schrieb:

Thanks again Nanaky.

In this case it possible that you create a other user in your Computer. For a new user ask Digital Edition for a own authoirze.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, good point Nanaky, thank you very much - I'll do that.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Luck.^^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Nanaky,

I've read all your discuss but we ahve the same problem: my husband and I have only one computer at home and we think that it's enough.

We both have our own ADE account, but we can't use them, any time we have to cancel one's authorization to use the authorization of the other. There's a window where it seems to be possibile to insert different accounts, but, infact, we can't find the way to do it.

It's really annoying... Is there a simple way to do it?

Thank you so much,

Betty&Ale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Digital Editon can you not add a secound user. This must you add in your operating System. Then you can authorize with diffent adobe ids.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Adobe Digital Editions on a second computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"You can use Adobe Digital Editions on a second computer."

Maybe you can Bernd, but we only have one computer here and that should be enough. If we compare it to a bank, my wife and I have both got accounts at HSBC but we don't need a computer each to access those accounts - different IDs ensure that the accounts are separate and can be accessed independently from the one computer.

Thanks for your input though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2022 Oct 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A great reason to dislike Adobe intensely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines