• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

3 users on a mac, but only one of them needs creative cloud.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I have a problem uninstalling adobe creative cloud from 2 other users on my mac, without interfering the 3rd user that needs it. Basically there are 3 users on my mac and 2 of them do not need CC, but only the one user needs it, the reasons for which I do not want to elaborate now. How do I setup my mac so only the one user has CC. All the users are administrators of my mac. I want only the one user to have the CC and other users nothing. I have tried to move all the apps and all the "crap" apps such as AdobeIPCBroker, Core Sync etc. to the user's ~/Applications directory properly (Others folder all the "craps") and also change the Sharing & Permissions preferences so it would be accessible only to the one user. I have done this many times with slight variations without a result, when I launch the creative cloud on the user where I want it to be, it doesn't work properly and it basically needs to be reinstalled and when I reinstall, it reinstalls itself to the other users too. And also when I tried to move all the folders in the Utilities folder in /Applications directory such as application manager, adobe creative cloud, adobe creative cloud experience etc. to the user ~/Applications' Utilities folder, it would copy itself or reinstall those folders back to the /App. directory. 

I want to have the CC on one of the 3 users and no, I do not want have any traces of adobe cc on the other users. If anything remained unclear, I'll try to clarify. I do not need any suggestions for a different setup/workaround. I need to solve this. Any help or advice would be appreciated, thank you in advance. 

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

I am very sorry, Albert, but your request will not be possible. The applications included with a Creative Cloud membership are not designed to be User-specific, and moving the resources will only result in the software not functioning correctly.

My best suggestion is to obtain a computer dedicated to using a Creative Cloud membership. Then, you can use the process listed in https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-apps-number-of-computers.html to install the software on the com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very sorry, Albert, but your request will not be possible. The applications included with a Creative Cloud membership are not designed to be User-specific, and moving the resources will only result in the software not functioning correctly.

My best suggestion is to obtain a computer dedicated to using a Creative Cloud membership. Then, you can use the process listed in https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-apps-number-of-computers.html to install the software on the computer and use https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html as a guide for how powerful the computer will need to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your quick response and honesty. 

May I ask is it possible in the near future that this can be done or is this very hard-coded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Albert, it is part of the nature of how the desktop applications were designed. Any resources or components that are shared between applications are located in areas that are accessible for all Users.

We are continuing to develop new offerings that will be less dependent on desktop applications being installed.

Depending upon the creative work that the individual is doing, they may not need a very powerful computer.  Most computers manufactured during the last decade can run our apps if they have up-to-date operating systems installed.  I would recommend checking with the designer on what they are planning to create and then checking the system requirements at https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html as a guide.  Links to each of the needs of the application can be found on the page.  The membership is not specific to the operating system, so if you have a spare Windows 10 computer gathering dust, they could use that for their design needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might give a try to a virtual machine and use creative cloud in it as I don't want to purchase another computer or bother with the current problems of mine on the computer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually this CAN be done but not for administrative users. The Mac has parental controls which can restrict app usage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I previously mentioned, I do not need any workarounds. At this point, I'm spending more time on workarounds to make things work rather than using the cc itself. When other users sign in, the creative cloud launches. "Launch creative cloud at login", "Always keep cc up to date", "auto-update" and "adobe fonts" were all disabled, but still when the two other users login, the cc launches and when preferences are looked up "Launch creative cloud at login" "Always keep cc up to date" are marked. We tried to disable them many times, but it didn't work, also syncing cannot be paused on these two users. This is getting really frustrating. At this point I have considered doing the same as Louis Rossmann have debated about, using pirated software. Not because of the monthly subscription fee, but because I can no longer bother with the sync, launch, cpu and numerous other problems. It is just more viable in my case. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discussions of pirated software are not allowed here. Your best bet is to either ignore it, use Parental Controls/MDM software, or use custom ACLs to restrict access.

Personally, I would ignore it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you elaborate more on custom ACLs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Google it. ACLs are commonly used for granular permissions on all modern operating systems. Note that this is a "workaround" and not really a built-in feature.

It might be easier to use Apple Configurator to setup the machine as needed with custom profiles.

https://support.apple.com/guide/apple-configurator-2/welcome/2.15/mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2021 Nov 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty funny question! Three admins on a Mac and no one has a clue how to handle administrative rights on a computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines