• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alternatives to the Creative Cloud

New Here ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Adobe's decisions to force users to go to subscribe to the creative cloud, I thought it might be a good idea to get a list going of some alternative programs. I'm a designer working mostly in print with some web - anyone know of some good alternatives for these?

Photoshop -> Gimp

Illustrator -> ?

Indesign - Quark

Dreamweaver - ?

Flash - been moving away from that anyway

What programs are you going to look into to replace the creative cloud?

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 330 Replies 330
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2014 Sep 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a graphic designer for over 35 years... early days on Mac with Page maker and followed on to the first Quark. I use Quark still despite the haters. I work for International clients and produce work above and below the line. I have issues with CC on many of the points mentioned and other aspects. I fear the pricing structure may well change and accelerate. I use CS6 and dreamweaver and I find that working in house as a freelancer they all use inDesign mainly due to the cost pushes going back 5-10 years back and Quark loosing the plot at that time. I have stuck with Quark as it gives for me a secure platform in print. From brochure work to 2,000pg p[lus catalogue work... It is for me secure but I suppose this is via a nurture. What to come. I am investigating other vector and pixel based programs... I will look at a replacement for Dreamweaver but will use freelancers to assemble web design for the meantime... Quark I will continue to use as I find it is what I need for my design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2014 Sep 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to admit Howard, I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here, or just frustrated with the direction software publishers may go.

I can honestly say that for the past year and a half, I have *rarely* used adobe products and have had vastly less stress in my life. My main tools are:  Sketch 3, Pixelmator and iDraw. For web development, I use Text Wrangler.

The only serious Quark/InDesign alternative that I know of is called Scribus. It has some good tools but it's a bit rough around the edges.

HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 26, 2014 Sep 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started using Affinity Designer for the first time today and it's great! I talked with someone from the company and they said that they should be announcing an InDesign competitor by the end of this week. If the ID competitor is anywhere near as good as their illustration program then there should be some great competition coming down the line!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2014 Oct 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not asking anything more suggestions within the original post. I was stating what I use as an alternative after many had issues with the way Adobe and CC were travelling . What I am saying is that I use for print design Quark which despite some detractors I have found in the last 3 years to be secure and stable and more importantly I own it and do not need to purchase a subscription on a monthly basis. As for web I still have the last pre CC Dreamweaver and will look elsewhere as with pixel manipulation... I have been looking at other programs/developers and Affinity is one with the vector based program. Just my take.
Serif releases free alternative to Adobe Illustrator | Illustration | Creative Bloq

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2014 Oct 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I snapped up Affinity Designer the other day after watching their promotional video. So far, it well lives up to its promises and is as well-behaved as any software out there, legacy or not.

Serif is a company to watch. I'm sure their photo editing and page layout software will be equally good as Affinity Designer.

A new paradigm is upon us all...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Flawlessly expressed, Marcus.

There is an unfortunate tendancy for individuals to submit to the benefit intention when faced with something horrendous.

"Goodness, more noteworthy benefit is in question?? Indeed, all things considered they ought to do whatever they need to!!"

Why?

We aren't brainless little creepy crawlies… we're having a daily existence here and a general public and "making a benefit" ought to be a minor component of current life, not the sole, driving motiviation, paying little mind to the results.

On the off chance that someone ran you off the street, imperiling you and your family, would it be OK on the off chance that you learned they were in a rush to attempt to make more benefit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines