• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I install CC or atleast some CC apps on an external hard drive?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need a deifinite yes or no answer. I am working on a web banner for my company. Anyway I needed to update my Photoshop app so I can make the animation for the banner. Well no matter what I do I can't update Photoshop because I don't have enough space on my hard drive on my laptop. I can not free up anymore space on my laptop hard drive. I have deleted all pictures, documents, and apps that arent needed.  The only apps I have been using from CC is Illustrator and Photoshop. So am I actually able to install these apps onto an external hard drive or am I completely SOL on the matter. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may not move a program, you must uninstall and do a fresh install... and some parts must be on your boot drive

Install on non-boot drive https://community.adobe.com/t5/get-started/moving-ps-and-lr-classic-from-internal-hd-to-an-external-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO. 

You can keep your work & data files on externals. But you must install programs on a system drive otherwise the programs can't operate.  And you really do need a computer that meets or exceeds the min-requirements -- CPU, GPU, hard disk space, RAM, etc...  Or your user experience will be frustrating if not impossible.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

The more apps you use, the more resources you need to support them.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only program I have on my laptop that didn't come with my laptop is Adobe CC! I had no issues before until it came to these current updates! My laptop was doing just fine and meets all requirements until now! Literally the stuff that is taking up all my space is the stuff I can't uninstall from the laptop! So I can't do my job because my laptop has no storage and Adobe products can't be put on a hard drive. That's stupid and will most likely cost me my job now! Great!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you install a larger hard drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how to and getting it done professionally would cost me an arm and leg that I can't really afford!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MaKenna25294209m1sy 

Did you uninstall previous versions of software that you're not using and all non-essential software that typically comes pre-installed from the factory? 

Have you run your Clean Disk utility to remove temporary fodder?

How much free HD space do you have currently?

Do you have a computer savvy friend or family member who can help you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said the only thing I put on my laptop that did not come with it is Adobe CC! The only app I can uninstall is Adobe CCI have done everything possible to free up as much storage as I can but most of storage is being taking up by things I can't uninstall! I have about 7GB of storage available and I need both illustrator and photoshop and I can't have both with the amount I have left! I am the one my family goes to when the need technical help so no I don't have someone that can help me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need a new computer, my friend.  7 GB isn't nearly enough space for Photoshop. 

My PS scratch disk alone is 1,490 GB and that's barely enough for what I do. I have a 2 TB HD and 1.5 TB external on my aging workstation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had an issue having it on my laptop until now! I have been using the same laptop for 3 years with Adobe CC and having photoshop and illustrator installed just fine until the newest updates! I don't have the money to buy a new laptop!!! My laptop isn't even 4 years old! Maybe Adobe should make it possible to have their programs on external hard drives because I see this is a recurring issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can turn off auto app updates in your CC Desktop App's Preferences.

I rarely upgrade Photoshop anymore because my GPU isn't good enough.  I'm still using release 20.x and I'm good.  It does everything I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My laptop isn't even 4 years old! Maybe Adobe should make it possible to have their programs on external hard drives because I see this is a recurring issue!

It's not a recurring issue because hard drives these days start at 500GB although most have capacities of several TBs.

Would be useful to see exactly what is filling your hard drive on a 4 year old laptop to leave you with only 7GB for Creative Cloud apps. That's highly unusual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My laptop didn't come with a lot of space to begin with like 50-60 GB! I used to have no issues with having CC and apps installed and with the new updates it seems I no longer have enough space! I can't afford a new internal hard drive and having it installed by a professional. I just don't understand why I can't use an external hard drive it's not any different than an internal hard drive. Only difference is it's external and can be unhooked when needed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't run software from externals.  That's never going to happen.  This is not an Adobe problem.  It's an equipment problem. 

Option 1: Revert back to older versions of software. 

Option 2: Lease a better computer until you can afford to buy one.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/dt/services/pc-as-a-service.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leasing costs money as well! I should have known that this company likes others just wants people to keep spending money they don't have!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you need to update Photoshop at all? Animation isn't a new thing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Idk I guess I'm so used to having it auto update and always having the newest version that works never really realized why I have done it that way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same issue with external drive at iMac...Did open a case at Adobe support some month ago. They have not been such convinced from hotline that this will really happen to be fixed but at least said, they will give it to development or so....CC App allows you to specifiy installation locations for programs  on external drives. However this does not work. Hotline said, this is because I am using USB drives...Hm, iMac...Sure USB... Whatever...So, I do from time to time fresh installs of PS and LR and .... on systemdrive and then just move to the external drive. Also you can move the application icon to the launch icon of Mac.... Anyway this works.... But you have each time the manual steps to do instead of the automatic updates... 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That was the answer that time from support.... "Genau, weil aber USB Laufwerke erst nach dem Start der Cloud gemounted werden, wird es nicht zuverlässig funktionieren:

Lösung:
Installieren Sie es auf einer internen Platte"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines