• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cancellation Fee - Photography Plan

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to express my disappointment and frustration with the way Adobe is set up.  Earlier in February I needed to take up a plan for school in order to edit for my photography class at school, but now I no longer need the program and can no longer afford this. I do not even use it. Therefore I decided to cancel the plan but I have been hit with both a cancellation fee plus the usual fee for the month. I spoke to customer care and they could not help me. It is frustrating because this is not explained properly when getting these programs, and I have browsed through the forum and saw that others have been through this as well and the lack of transparency has also costed them loads in cancellation fees as well. Would not use this ever again or recommend these "plans." Pay the fee or continue to pay for a full year for something you don't use. Great options.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2019 Jul 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m sorry about that situation. If you are lacking the funds it is not easy, I know. I would counsel you to Contact Customer Care again and may be by being persistent, you will have more luck this time.

I have, however, some remarks:

• the cancellation fee is well documented in the terms that you acknowledge to have read when you take your subscription.
  • The school too should be aware of the different offers and should counsel students for what they should take and what the drawback of that is. If the school asks for a Photography plan, they should be aware that students are required to take an annual plan, as there is no plan for the month on that. They could as well recommend a monthly Photoshop plan, most of the operations can be made with Photoshop and the tools that come with Photoshop. However, the monthly plan is at 31.50$ against 10$ for the annual photographer’s plan, so 4 months of Photoshop on a monthly plan alone is more expensive than the annual Photography plan. You had the Photography plan five months and even by paying the early termination fee, you are better off as with the alternative which is the monthly Photoshop plan — 85$ (or 90$) against 157.50$ (or 189$).
ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kerissal71910953  wrote

I just wanted to express my disappointment and frustration with the way Adobe is set up.

You signed an annual contract — that’s how annual contracts work. Here are the subscription terms:

Adobe Subscription and Cancellation Terms | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where I went to school, an  Annual Plan  =  12 months.   See screenshot.

You can pay monthly for 12 months or prepay the whole year up front.  Your choice.  But canceling before the 12th month means you pay an early termination fee (50% of remaining months).   There is nothing hidden about it.  This is a very standard business model used by many companies worldwide.   Next time read the subscription & cancellation terms before you agree to them.   And if you don't understand them, ask your parents or teachers to help you.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely understand your frustration. I almost missed this too. Yes, it's in the fine print but it's not possible to read all the fine print for every product that we purchase. It's standard practice with apps to pay for a month at a time and a reasonable assumption to make. I'm really disappointed in the company for taking advantage of students and teachers: making them continue to pay for a full year or face fees for cancelling. Often students need the program for one semester. Really disgraceful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the price you pay for a 60% discount. 

If you're willing to pay full price, you can get month-to-month option.  But if you do the math, you'll find that a student/teacher discount with 50% early cancellation fee is still way cheaper than month-month at regular rates. 

Full Price (month-to-month):  $82.50/month x 6 months = $495

Student/Teacher Price(annual):  $20/month for 12 months = $240 + 50% penalty fee = $300

So you see you're still getting a very generous discount, even if you cancel early.

What's wrong with that picture?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's wrong with the picture is that it's not clearly explained. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joyce,

Here is what you agreed to when you clicked "Agree and subscribe" to sign up for your Yearly plan.

What specifically do you think is not clearly explained, or could be more clearly explained?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not click because I googled around and luckily found this thread. I should not have to do research to figure this out. If you click on "See terms" on this page: https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/buy/students.html you will see the following. It is not clear what the fees will be if you cancel before the year is up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should take "requires a 12 month contract" to mean "you promise to pay for a whole year". I can't see any other meaning of this. In fact, Adobe give a very generous discount of 50% on what you promise to pay. However, it's a pity the document not spell this out, and also does not mention that it automatically renews, I think. You can have Photoshop with the right to cancel with no penalty for $30 per month. After 4 months the Photography Plan is cheaper. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is generous if you use it for a full year. As a parent and an educator for many years, I know that students will not necessarily fully understand the terms. Adobe can offer whatever they want to whomever they want at whatever price they want, that's not my issue. I'm just asking that when you market stuff to students, make it super clear, esp. when the pricing plan is different from the standard one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>when you market stuff

This is a public forum with mostly other users, not Adobe support... the Adobe staff who do read/post here to help with program problems do not control Adobe management

Call or send a letter to Adobe

Adobe, 345 Park Avenue, San Jose, CA 95110-2704 USA Tel: 408-536-6000 Fax: 408-537-6000

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did not click because I googled around and luckily found this thread. I should not have to do research to figure this out.

You don't have to "google around," nor do you have to do research to figure it out.

As noted above, a summary of the terms are right there on the Adobe page when you click "Agree and subsctibe." You can't avoid it.

So the issue is if someone clicks "Agree" without actually reading the several sentences directly above the button describing what you are agreeing to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines