• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC apps cannot be updated to latest versions with ProDesignTools' direct download links

Engaged ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The files linked there are outdated and will not help you if you need to update to the latest version. If you have a more recent version, they will actually downgrade your apps without any warning that they're doing it. From what I gather, this is not ProDesignTools' fault--Adobe has not made current versions available for direct download.

TOPICS
Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only reason you wouldn't use them is if you have the same major release already installed... But if that were the case, then you wouldn't be looking for the installers for that release.

In other words, why download & install Photoshop CC 2019 if you already have Photoshop CC 2019 installed?

So it doesn't make any sense to say "don't use them." Plenty of folks still need access to these direct links for many good reasons – as offline installers, standalone backups, compatibility with older hardware/systems, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've directed many people on this forum to ProDesignTools direct download links for many reasons, mainly because they're either using hardware that is not compatible with the most recent releases or they have older plug-ins that won't work with the latest version.

I've never had any complaints from the users that requested such links, on the contrary they where glad to have this option available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a more recent version they will actually downgrade your apps without any warning that they're doing it.

Why would people need links to download if they've already got the latest available version of their legacy software installed? Just curious.

Prodesigntools links are usually sought by people who want to reinstall their old software from scratch.

Edit: I just noticed that the original post is nearly 2 years old. Any reason this old post has re-surfaced?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey John, good question. The reason is because some people read a poster saying "don't use these links" on the Forums and were confused... 

So just wanted to clear up any confusion.

Thanks for your support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I guess I should have been more specific. What I meant was that it's not possible to update apps to the current versions this way. I was trying to update Photoshop but the Creative Cloud app kept failing because, at the time, my only Internet access was via slow cellular networks and Adobe had, apparently, not taken this situation into account. The CC app's download would time out before the download could finish and, at the time, the app wasn't able to resume the download so it would start the download all over again. Then it would time out again, start over, time out, ad infinitum. So, I was completely unable to update via the proper channel.

I tried to work around this problem by using the direct downloads provided by PDT. It took a couple days to download the files but, once they were done, I was able to install them successfully. To my horror, I discovered that, instead of being updated to the latest version, it was downgraded to an older version and I could no longer open some important files. And because the CC app had this major flaw, I was stuck being unable to use PS. I had to tear my workstation down and transport it to a location with broadband internet to fix the problem.

Adobe eventually fixed the CC app so that downloads can be resumed but not before we finally got Internet where I live, making the point moot for me.

Edit:

I've updated the original post to be more clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines