• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Change Application Installation Directory

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pretty small SSD and would like to install some of the applications to another drive. It seems that Creative Cloud's Application Manager does not have this option? Where can I choose WHERE the software gets installed to?

TOPICS
CC FAQ , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

You can change the install location from the preferences of the Adobe Application Manager.

To clarify, you can click on your Name displayed inside the top left corner of the Adobe Application Manager, and then from the drop down, you'll be able to choose preferences and then mention the install location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change the install location from the preferences of the Adobe Application Manager.

To clarify, you can click on your Name displayed inside the top left corner of the Adobe Application Manager, and then from the drop down, you'll be able to choose preferences and then mention the install location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just figured out you can access Preferences by clicking the downarrow near your name in the upper left corner. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 12, 2012 May 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I change the location back to the default settings, somehow I have managed to put a location in and cannot return it to the default!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work.  Acrobat still installs on drive C: even when you change the folder.  This is a hard coded path in AAM install.  The stand alone product installs correctly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2013 Jul 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, I have a small SSD drive and I don't have enought space to install the Adobe CC App that I need.

I have another drive for that, that's just a crazy thing to not be able to choose the installation folder for a set of app that can reach more than 10GB when you install them all.

Come on Adobe, even the smallest freeware coded by a guy in his room allow to choose the installation path. That's just incredible...

Just formatted my PC to have a clean install of my newly bought adobe CC and I just can't. Don't say me that I have to buy a bigger SSD and format again to be able to use the product....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2013 Mar 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I changed the installation location, but only some of the apps respect that, others (like Photoshop) are still installed (or rather fail to install, because they use up all the space) on C:, ignoring the setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. I have a small SSD drive for windows 7, and would like to install photoshop on the bigger D: drive.

When the Creative Cloud app first started, I chose to install Photoshop, and waited if it would aks where to install it, but it never did. So after that I changed the install location for apps to my D: drive, and tried to re-install photoshop, but it still installed to the c: drive.

I don't mind that the creative cloud app and all the requirement components are installed to the c: drive, but I really don't like the fact if you can't change where the actual programs are installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work fully!

Using CC Adobe Photoshop still installs where it wants and not on the install location you want it to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I just got another patch of updates for PP, AE, PS & Encode & of course those are the heart of my uses. I have done this, went into preferences & changed it, it didn't work. I moved the original app file from my C: to my D: drive (that has 1.7TB of free space), even after that it didn't work...someone please help. I don't wanna uninstall or else I will have to re-link everything!!! GAHJJJHHHHH!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the application manager on my HP Omen, but I can't seem to access it. Where can I find it?
I am having the same problem. The Creative Cloud is installing on my SSD and it doesn't have enough space on there, so trying
to get it to save onto my Data D drive that has 2TB. Please help! I was also trying to find it on my Adobe ID but could not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesnt change it for me. Im trying to install the free trial but it will only download it to my primary drive which is full. Selecting a different drive wont change it; it still says insufficient space even though the drive I selected has 100gb free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same type question. Do I need to download/install applications to same drive where is the WIN7? Because I have also little SSD where is only my OS and the D drive where 1TB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click your name in the Adobe Application Manager, a menu should pop up with Preferences, Help, and Sign Out. Click Preferences, from there you can choose a new Install directory for apps you are about to install. It applies to all apps you choose to install after you change the setting and does not move apps you have already installed. This is how I was able to install Photoshop and Illustrator on my SSD, and everything else on my large drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2013 Apr 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It simply hasn't worked that way. I changed the setting after the first install - it was ignored for the next installations and updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2013 Apr 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too ... changed the setting and it's been ignored by Photoshop. 

i just bought a new SSD to host all the cloud apps and i can't install to it!!  please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on Adobe ... a little help here please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recomend inkscape and gimp.  Both install where you tell them to.  Good to see Adobe still has no clue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2013 Aug 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. I uninstalled some apps and changed the Install Location for Apps to D, but it keeps installing them on C.

EDIT: ISSUE SOLVED.

I ended up uninstalling nearly all of the Adobe apps from C: except Photoshop, which I use all the time,  and the CC app itself. I checked to confirm that the install path was set to D, then shut down the computer and restarted it. I ended up spotting a couple other Adobe apps that were further down the Control Panel unistall list, like Lightroom, and uninstalled those as well, then did another shut down and restart. Then I tried installing Acrobat through the CC system tray interface and checking the Properties on the desktop icon showed that it installed to

"D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe"

I tried installing some additional apps and they all ended up on D as well.

Message was edited by: otakusharkprime

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2017 Oct 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like when you install the apps the first time, they always install to the "C:\Program Files\", however, after you uninstall then re-install them, it looks like they actually install to the right place (sometimes).  Whenever I've tried it, it seems to install those apps to the right place eventually.  You should be able to see a folder appear in the new location at about 40-50%, from what I can tell, and if it's not there, try cancelling the install, then reinstalling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bloody hell, Adobe, 2017 is almost over and your software still won't let the user choose where to install it???  Maybe because you think your users are all idiots???

Waaaay back in the days of DOS, they made it super simple so that the most clueless user couldn't mess things up, while allowing even the least technically inclined users to choose where to put the software:

• "Step 1:  On which drive do you want to install?  The default is C.  If you're not sure, leave this setting alone."
  • "Step 2:  In which directory do you want to install?  The default is some\directory\path.  If you're not sure, leave this setting alone."
  • "Step 3:  Wait while the program is installed to your selected directory..."

I put into my computer a super fast but tiny SSD drive for the operating system, tiny because SSDs are more expensive than driving a gold-plated hummer that runs on rocket fuel!  Then I put in a second 3TB HDD for programs, and a third 4TB HDD for important non-system, non-program data.  Both HHDs are more than half empty, and yet I seem to be running out of disk space because crappy programs like Adobe's won't let me choose where to install the software and puts everything on the operating system disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree 1000%. This shouldn’t be a problem at

all. Design is all about simplicit, and Adobe doesnt have a clue here. They need to listen to their users

and get their act together. There is NO GOOD REASON why I should have to buy a new SSD that is half the cost of my laptop just to accommodate Adobe’s blatant incompetence. Fix this Adobe, if you care about the people paying for your product!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, I am glad I tried a free trial first. Installed to my tiny SSD drive, no option for my application drive. Wont run.

I was going to buy After Effects just based on the reviews. Imagine the frustration if I had bought it blind.

This is amateur hour.

People have complained on this thread for years, and seriously, no solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is how to change default installation location of programs in windows

1- Get the application Install Dir Changer from the direct link given above. Once the application is downloaded, simply double click on it to run it.

2- When the application launches, click on Enable Editing button to change the default installation location of programs. Program files folder is for 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Windows, whereas Program files (x86) is for 32-bit Windows versions.

3- If you click on the three dots icon corresponding to Program Files or Program Files (x86), you will be able to browse through a window to select your default installation folder. Once you are done with the selection part, press on OK button,

4- When you are all set, click on Apply changes button for the changes to take over. Now all the future applications that you install on your system will be saved in the default location that you have specified.

Link removed by Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2015 May 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see the option to change the path..

I use version 2.0.0.74 of the creative cloud and my name is not in the top left corner. I did find preferences but that doesn't have the option to change the path. I hope anyone can help!

Pictures show the options I have:

cloud 2.PNGcloud.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines