• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creative Cloud Budget Breaking for Solo Entrepreneur

Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sure no one really cares there at Adobe's Upper management, but I just wanted to post a complain about Creative Cloud's subscription model and the cost.

I am sure they have all heard this before when Adobe switched to the Cloud-Subscription model, but I am a independent artist trying to run her own business and I use the full creative suite. At $600 a year that is budget braking and will be a financial hardship on my business. I used to buy the upgrade and be able to use it for about 2-3 years. Now that I am having computer problems and forced to upgrade my OS, it appears I need the new CC to get my Adobe Apps to run right too. The current Cyber Monday sale, helps but it is clearly for only one year, and it is still expensive. All the upgrades you do aren't worth upgrading to, the features are not such great enhancements for me. I do understand that all this development work is expensive, but...being the only good graphic design programs on the market, I feel really, really stuck and screwed financially by your subscription model. My business can only grow so fast to keep up with all these additional costs.

I have been an Adobe user for 25 years...and the cost was always more manageable in the past with doing upgrade. So...I am just writing to ask you to think of the small business people and the artists who use the more expensive full CC. And how your pricing is better for big corporate...I guess that is how our capitalist society it working anyway and it will grow event more exclusionary....big business is all that matters and small business will fall to the waist side.

If anyone as any suggestions for alternative applications for Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator, I'd love to hear them!

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

I think you're missing the point. The CC subscription is like an all-you-can-eat buffet. When you walk out there may be many dishes you haven't tasted, but you don't get a discount. The average professional uses 3-4 apps and the price is based on that. All the rest are just bonuses (both for the professional, who gets handy apps for occasional use, and for Adobe who get exposure for their products). You say you use 5 which means you are filling your plate fuller than most! So CC is a bargain for

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to provide a package that just has PS, AI, ID, Br (for example). I am sure there are many people that don't need the 10+ applications that you provide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 29, 2016 Nov 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Beth,

Not really sure, but try reaching the Adobe Sales to place the order for the same. Maybe they have some deals for you.

Contact us | Adobe

Regards,

Sheena

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a introductory deal last year for CC for around $40 a month, I begged, pleaded, almost cried to a sales rep to get a deal since I am an independent artist and don't use more than 1/2 of CC and all its features. They refused. Now I am having problems with PS CC 2018...so ready to move on when I can to another product. More are starting to come out. This industry needs some healthy competition!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your suggestion didn't work what-so-ever. The Sales staff refused to help me. The Answer is to switch to another software company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Qualifying teachers and students get up to 60% off the normal rates.  That's the best deal you will find anywhere.

Adobe Creative Cloud for students and teachers | Adobe Creative Cloud

Adobe Creative Cloud Education FAQ

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I have heard of it, but I am not a teacher or a student. I don't qualify for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you compare Adobe's products with other design software that costs several hundred dollars per month, Creative Cloud really is a bargain.  If your  career doesn't afford you the cost of your tools, maybe it's time to examine why.   Perhaps you just need to charge a little more to cover your expenses. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I am finding many competitors to Adobe that cost much, much less. Like the Affinity line of graphic applications, just to start. They handle my big files better too...which is even more important. There are times when Photoshop can't even run well...and I have a great computer with tons of RAM, and have had experts double check my settings. I can spend less and get better performance.

Actually, I charge quite a lot for my work and I get steady work. You are obviously are not self-employed and have to pay for your own studio space, insurance, health costs (because bad of high deductible insurance), materials, etc. Starting up in the early stages is tough too...which is when this post was first written. I am glad things are going so well for you that you can't understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I do understand.  I've been self-employed for probably longer than you've been on planet Earth.   The rewards are great but so are the risks & challenges.   Some people thrive at it.  Others prefer the security of an employer who pays for tools, health insurance, office & supplies...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are absolutely right. I am sure you are far a better person than me and made from a stronger weave...especially if you have worked longer than I have been borne (I am 46 years old). But after using Adobe Photoshop since 1993 (version 2.5) doing some in-house jobs and freelance...and only needing to buy upgrades every 1-3 years (depending on the release) for 25 years...I found myself being forced into the subscription model at the same time I was trying a new fine art (less commercial) venture...I felt the need to express my disappointment in the change 2 years ago. I'l admit it, call me an old-fuddy-duddy that doesn't like change, especially when it is far less affordable.   Only recently I have noticed more and more people liking this post. The response made me notice that it was marked as "Answered". It was misleading because the "answer" was to call and beg for a discount, which Adobe won't do what-so-ever. So, I thought the "answer" was misleading and I unmarked it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I am a UX and UI designer, I do never use Premiere Pro, After Effects, 3D programms, etc. I do Photography, so I get that I need Lightroom too, but I just wish for a GRAPHIC / UI DESIGN Abo with the basic programms: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, AdobeXD and maybe Lightroom. That's it, no more. I've asked multiple times, but no, there's no such option. There's also no option for people who can prove that they earn less. There could well be an option for big businesses and small businesses who earn much less money per year. The price in my opinion is not justified, given that it's more expensive getting only 3 programms than the whole Cloud. Which means NO, the programms are not in the same value as the cost, otherwise they wouldn't offer the whole Cloud for such "little" money, if you compare it when you would buy each programm separately. Adobe, please be more kind to small businesses! Especially when there is programms like Figma, that are FREE to use if you are self employed and have no team! And also are much better than Adobe XD. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're missing the point. The CC subscription is like an all-you-can-eat buffet. When you walk out there may be many dishes you haven't tasted, but you don't get a discount. The average professional uses 3-4 apps and the price is based on that. All the rest are just bonuses (both for the professional, who gets handy apps for occasional use, and for Adobe who get exposure for their products). You say you use 5 which means you are filling your plate fuller than most! So CC is a bargain for you.

An all-you-can eat buffet with 3 dishes in it might fill you up, but it would bring so many people to the restaurant.

But if you find better apps, then use them! Competition is probably a good thing (unless it forces a reckless rate of upgrades).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for your funny comparison 🙂 I disagree with this however. An all-you-can eat buffet means the quality of food is not as good and the waiters / cooks don't receive any tips. In this case you cannot make that analogy, since we are booking also a service and not just a pure product that we use once and then never again. I will also quote here this statement that I found on Google: 

"As ChairmanPresident and Chief Executive Officer at ADOBE INC., Shantanu Narayen made $39,145,631 in total compensation."

Do you really think that the price is justified when a sole person in a company makes $39m dollars of compensation? And this is surely not including the salary they allow themselves every month. 

I bet a cook in a buffet restaurant doesn't earn nearly as much money for making free accessible food. But that's just a guess 😄 

I would also like to point out that in Frontend development most sources are Open-Source, meaning they are free to use and adapt for the whole world. Some developer sat down and made all the work and shared it for free with other developers who share the same issues. It is not asked too much to have different options for different kind of people. Webflow or any other web provider have different packages, depending on each person's need. There's a Photography Abo in CC, so why can't there be a Designer Abo too? I have no problem to get an abo of the most basic apps and add another app to it. I will still end up paying less than using only 1/3 of the whole cloud. I don't want to be asked to change because I have been working with Adobe for 15 years. How upset would you get if your phone company that you've been paying well for many years doesn't try to keep you because you cannot afford it anymore? It is called good customer service. I am only asking to make it more accessible for different kind of people and to free ourselves from this capitalised and consumer kind of mind. 

It is not to say that I don't value a product, the opposite, I value products and I am willing to pay for them, otherwise I wouldn't pay for the CC because I already have two licenses with my full-time job that I could technically use for my own. Which of course I won't do because that would not be the correct way. I do however believe in a system that is more beneficial for an equalised economy and not just for the big fish. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

An all-you-can eat buffet means the quality of food is not as good and the waiters / cooks don't receive any tips.

By @helena.pfisterer

I have to disagree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wholeheartedly agree! I don't make that much money on graphic design anymore, but the price just goes up and up. I have used these programs forever. I would hate to have to change now. I can't even keep up with all the updates and new features.

I have called sales. If I cry (literally!), I can usually get a discount.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Handygal!!

I can easily muster up some tears...this pricing is killing me and I don't even use half of the apps.

It's ironic, there are more tools available for solo-entrapanuers to run a business, but the fees keep going up and up. Everything is priced for big corporations for big budgets...no one cares about the little guy trying to do something different an unique.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines