Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS 5 keeps asking for serial number after every re-start

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, hope someone can help me with this.

I've been using Photoshop CS5.1 Extended for several years without any problems. But a few weeks ago, out of the blue (no major changes or new installations on my computer) it suddenly started asking for my serial number every time I'm starting the program. I can enter it and confirm it (it's valid and the registration is confirmed), but as soon as I shut down Photoshop and start it again -- I have to enter it again.

I have no idea what to do other than re-entering it every time. I've googled and found some posts saying I should rename some cache.db file, but that didn't work -- a new cache file popped up right after renaming it and the problem persisted.

Any help will be much appreciated.

I'm using Windows 8.1, and I have both the 64-Bit and the 32-Bit versions installed (used to work without any problems or complications). Serial number is valid and legal. Internet works fine to connect to the licensing server. 

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

after licensing,  note the files/date/time in

Windows 64 bit: Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ Adobe PCD\  --> pcd.db and a "cache" folder with cache.db and four files with a numbers/letters combination as filename

ProgramData\Adobe\SLStore --> has three .lic files and three files with a numbers/letters combination as filename

restart your computer and note if anything's changed in those files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

check to see if you have some clean up program (like ccleaner) that's removing your licensing info.

Adobe PCD folder and SLStore (licensing information), https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/configuration-error-cs5.html:

Adobe PCD:

Windows 32 bit:  Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD\

Windows 64 bit: Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ Adobe PCD\

C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe

C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet folder

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\caps

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\backup

SLStore:

ProgramData\Adobe\SLStore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I have:

Windows 32 bit:  Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Adobe PCD\  --> directory "Adobe" exists but no "Adobe PCD" in there

Windows 64 bit: Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ Adobe PCD\  --> pcd.db and a "cache" folder with cache.db and four files with a numbers/letters combination as filename

ProgramData\Adobe\SLStore --> has three .lic files and three files with a numbers/letters combination as filename (and a bmp file)

The other folders you mentioned also exist...

So, how can I tell now if something's missing or what would I do next?

(I'm not using any cleaners and haven't installed any new anti-virus software either... not sure if any minor Windows update might have done something though.. :-/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after licensing,  note the files/date/time in

ProgramData\Adobe\SLStore --> has three .lic files and three files with a numbers/letters combination as filename

restart your computer and note if anything's changed in those files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, now it gets crazy: the license window doesn't show up again like it did just an hour ago.

Before I opened this topic, I had to re-enter my license key three times. Same the other day this week. And several times before that. But now, I closed down Photoshop, rebooted my computer several times, opened all other programs (like Outlook, Chrome, etc.) to reproduce the error under the same conditions -- and the fricking thing keeps working the way it's supposed to. I swear I'm not trying to waste your time, lol.

I took screenshots of all the folders you mentioned so I'll have the files/dates/times to compare next time the licensing window shows up. Guess I'll just have to wait... I'll bump this thread as soon as the problem re-occurs. Thanks for your help so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you're welcome.

but this doesn't sound crazy.  my guess is there is some clean-up program that's (erroneously) removing those files.  i've not heard of a virus doing that but it wouldn't hurt to scan your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines