Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS3 licensing [CS3 is dead, locked]

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from the non-technical Lounge to Creative Suites​ forum.]

When I try to open any CS3 program I get a message that says licensing for this product has stopped working. It says I need to uninstall and reinstall but I don't want to do that because I have a lot of websites in Dreamweaver, custom shapes and other things in Photoshop. Please help.

TOPICS
New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

It's not so much that Adobe is not allowing people to use CS3 any more. It's that it is no longer possible to install it on a new machine. The activation servers no longer exist and it is no longer possible to get a non-activation-needed registration number.

If you have CS3 installed on a computer and it's working, keep that computer working also if you want to continue using CS3.

Otherwise, your choices are to purchase a subscription that provides the Adobe programs you want to use or to fi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of those options work/apply to my situation. I tried the LWS but it said I wasn't an authorized user and wouldn't let me login.

I also tried the Adobe Licensing Repair Tool three times but it didn't fix my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you ask a question you need to provide some basic information

-Forum quick start https://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-5601

Mac or Windows, and EXACTLY which version of the operating system?

Recent Mac AND Windows operating systems have been known to cause "odd" problems

Are you using a computer Administrator account with full read/write permission?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Windows 10. CS3 was working fine yesterday but when I started my computer today, I got that message. I am using the computer Administrator account with full permissions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Krazykris you can find information on how to resolve the error, "the licensing has stopped working," for Windows 10 at Error: "Licensing has stopped working" | Windows .  The errors listed will allow for a resolution of this error.  If you have any questions regarding any of the steps listed then please update this discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information but I've already tried most of those options. Nothing worked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is extremely unfortunate Krazykris.  Your last option then will be to implement the listed solutions under a newly created local administrator account.  Details on how to set up a new local administrator account can be found at Adobe troubleshooting: Creating an admin account in Windows​.

If you are still unable to implement the solutions listed in https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/error-licensing-stopped-windows.html under the newly created local administrator account then I would recommend backing up any critical files.  Once safely backed up you can reinstall Windows 10 and then reinstall Creative Suite 3.

The root cause of this error, Krazykris, is that the current User account does not have the required permission to run the licensing service or update critical files.  The steps listed in Error: "Licensing has stopped working" | Windows provide details on how this can be corrected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2017 Jul 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new user account in Windows but that did not work either. I tried repairing it with the software disc, that didn't work either. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the update Krazykris.  I am sorry that you still faced difficulties with the newly created local administrator account.  A reinstallation of Windows 10 will resolve the issue.  Something on the current installation, of Windows, is preventing either account from having proper read/write access to the SLStore and Adobe PCD folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was told by Adobe that they are not allowing people to continue to use CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not so much that Adobe is not allowing people to use CS3 any more. It's that it is no longer possible to install it on a new machine. The activation servers no longer exist and it is no longer possible to get a non-activation-needed registration number.

If you have CS3 installed on a computer and it's working, keep that computer working also if you want to continue using CS3.

Otherwise, your choices are to purchase a subscription that provides the Adobe programs you want to use or to find other software that performs similar functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad Adobe support told you the truth however unpleasant it may be.  CS1, CS2 and CS3 are officially dead & gone now.  And Creative Suite is no longer legally sold by any vendor, retailer or country.

MODERN OPTIONS:
Photoshop or Premier Elements 2020 (approx $100, no subscription needed)
https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Creative Cloud Photography Plan (approx $10/month for 1 year subscription)
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography.html

Creative Cloud All Apps Plan (31 + apps & services)
https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/plans.html

===========
Beware of fake Adobe reps who may contact you privately offering to sell you software or take control of your computer. It's a scam, run away!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They marked my case as "solved".

"You're software is old hence won't work anymore. Goodbye!"

Love that they are doing this during a pandemic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been told by Adobe they are canceling CS3 because it is "old". Really makes me unhappy. I am a CC subscriber but like having CS3 on my old MacBook. Not even sure CC is compatible with that operating system. This is software I paid for, and they decide now it messes with their subscription business model? Really scummy operation here. I paid $1200 for that software suite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines