• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dell graphics driver too old

Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think people have had this issue in the past, with different Dell models and drivers, although I can't see a consistent resolution.

This week, following CC update, I am getting the warning window in LR and PS about the graphics driver needing updating.  I have a Dell XPS13, 9343 (dating back to 2015) running Win10 and the Intel HD graphics 5500 driver is version 20.19.15.5070.  This is a Dell custom driver from Intel and there is no update available on the Dell site.  I'm loathe to just manually install an Intel driver for fear I'll lose use of the machine altogether.  Might have to bite the bullet, I guess, although a seven-year old piece of kit is perhaps ready for replacement.  Any thoughts anyone?  Is the forced update viable?

Dave

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Go back to the previous Adobe version that did not have the warning, and turn updates OFF

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Your integrated graphics chip is no longer supported by CC, that means it will not be used for graphics acceleration. Its time to think about a newer computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

If it makes you feel better, my GPU isn't good enough either.  😞

Until I replace my current equipment, I'm not upgrading.  I turned off automatic updates from Creative Cloud Desktop app.

This is what you need to run Photoshop:
- https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html
- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html
- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

David, in addition to Nancy's helpful and practical response, please see https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html for information on how you can turn off automatic updates in the Creative Cloud desktop app for a Creative Cloud Individual membership.

If you need a specific Photoshop and Lightroom CC version, I would also encourage you to contact our support team at https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen to request a copy while they are still availabl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go back to the previous Adobe version that did not have the warning, and turn updates OFF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello John,

Well yes, I can do that, but then I lose future enhancements and upgrades etc., which is what I'm paying for through CC.  Just looks like I'll have to replace my laptop - once any loss of Adobe functionality becomes critical - although at that point I'll try an Intel driver to see what happens.  Shame on Dell for not updating their drivers, I suppose, although legacy support has to end sometime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello John,

As you'll see from the string, I'm following your advice and winding back.  At least that gives me time to find the right replacement computer.  Thanks for taking the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your integrated graphics chip is no longer supported by CC, that means it will not be used for graphics acceleration. Its time to think about a newer computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it makes you feel better, my GPU isn't good enough either.  😞

Until I replace my current equipment, I'm not upgrading.  I turned off automatic updates from Creative Cloud Desktop app.

This is what you need to run Photoshop:
- https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html
- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html
- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, in addition to Nancy's helpful and practical response, please see https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html for information on how you can turn off automatic updates in the Creative Cloud desktop app for a Creative Cloud Individual membership.

If you need a specific Photoshop and Lightroom CC version, I would also encourage you to contact our support team at https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen to request a copy while they are still available for distribution.  Not all versions and releases are available, and people should only make these requests with an active Individual Creative Cloud membership. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff - off to the computer shop it is 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Nancy.  Looking at the performance today, I need to rewind and stop updates whilst I go hunting for a new machine.  Good excuse to splash the cash, but not the best timing!  Now then, PC or Mac .......?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently bought a refurb M1 Mac mini with 16GB of RAM directly from Apple for US$750 + tax. Excellent investment.

Be aware that Apple will be announcing new models and updates next month, so unless you can find a great deal, I would wait a few weeks. I got mine knowning this but also knowning what I can afford.

I do NOT advise buying an Apple Intel model, Apple Silicon is definitely where Apple is going and Intel will be quickly shunted aside.

Some here will advise buying Windows but in my considerable experience with both IT and graphics, Mac is a much better deal. You can actually an equivalent Mac for the same price or cheaper and macOS is far more reliable and easy to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I won't diss Apple because they make nice products but I prefer Windows because it's more flexible for what I do and doesn't require annual upgrades to a new operating systems.  Apple sends out a new OS every year and doesn't provide any backwards compatibility for older software.  

I can build a new custom PC workstation that's optimized for Photoshop or video editing for less than I can a comparable Mac. So it all depends on your needs and budget.

Recommended Workstations for Photoshop or Premier Pro Users:

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One point here, annual system upgrades do not have to be installed, nor do they break compatibility with most existing software. These upgrades are similar to Windows feature upgrades and support works similarly (Microsoft and Adobe both do not support older versions of Windows 10, for example.)

As for building your own system, yes you can but if you use cheaper parts (like an off-brand video card) you'll risk being one of the many people who post here with video driver issues. Buying equivalent parts (in quality, support, and warranty) is pretty similar cost across platforms.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines