• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do I need to uninstall old versions of adobe before installing Adobe CC?

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe CS4 and I am looking to get Adobe CC, do I need to uninstall CS4 before I try installing Adobe CC. Also, I am a student and plan to get Adobe CC at the student rate, but I have two computers at my house that I need it on. Can I install it on both computers at the student rate?

Thank you,

Evan

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Hi Vans8192,

If you wish to use the old version of Adobe apps as well along with Adobe CC apps then you may not uninstall them, however if you wish to use the latest version only then please go ahead and uninstall them, to know how to do that see: Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems.

Yes, a single license for Creative Cloud lets you install applications on two computers—for example, at home and at the office. If you want to install apps on a third computer, sign out

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you don't need to remove older versions.

but when you're installing, unless you select the advanced options, your older version(s) will be removed by default, Creative Cloud Delivering More Choice for Installations | Adobe Customer Care Team

also, if you allow the cc desktop app to update your older versions, they will be converted to subscription.  (that shouldn't be possible for pre-cs6 versions.)

you can install cc on an unlimited number of computers.  the only (minor for internet connected computers) limitation is that you can only sign-in on, at most, two computers at any one time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vans8192,

If you wish to use the old version of Adobe apps as well along with Adobe CC apps then you may not uninstall them, however if you wish to use the latest version only then please go ahead and uninstall them, to know how to do that see: Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems.

Yes, a single license for Creative Cloud lets you install applications on two computers—for example, at home and at the office. If you want to install apps on a third computer, sign out of Creative Cloud on the computer that will no longer use the membership. Then, sign in to Creative Cloud on the new computer, see: Sign in and sign out to activate or deactivate Creative Cloud apps.

Let us know if this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this might be kind of similar but with this new update today, should I remove previous versions of my creative cloud apps or keep them installed? For some reason, I just want them all cleared out since I always work with latest versions. But I'm worried a lil bit since the checkbox is left unchecked automatically. Just need some advice, thanks guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're feeling brave, and confident the new versions will work perfectly, that nothing you want has been removed, and you'll figure them out right away, then delete the old versions. But personally, I like to keep them for a while for insurance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit: Looks like we're supposed to use our CC app & the dropdown box beside each app.

When we're ready to delete those old versions, do we just drag to Trash? (on a Mac) Or is there an uninstall process we need to follow. TIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply by the way! I didn't uninstall old versions and glad I didn't because all the shapes are gone. Just realized that, so wanted to check the old version for what they were. Good call! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heard older versions of CS aren't supported on Mac's OS Big Sur. I have CS6. If I get CC will my CS6 still work on Big Sur or will I need to uninstall it?? I'm uncomfortable about uninstalling CS6 until I'm confident with CC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 will NOT WORK on Apple's BS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much John!!🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 won't work in Big Sur. And also, it can't be uninstalled, because the uninstaller won't work in Big Sur either. If you migrate it to Big Sur, you are pretty much stuck with the non-working app left behind.

It's best not to migrate, but to treat Big Sur as an opportunity to start again. Of course, you'll want to restore your data files from backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. So.... First, I will uninstall all the apps in CS6 from Mojave. Second, I will get CC on Mojave. Third, I will upgrade to Big Sur.  Everything will then migrate to the new OS... Thank you Legend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Nancy!,

You could try uninstallation using the CC cleaner tool

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Manan. If there is a problem I'll give it at try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines