• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Photoshop (CS5.1) work with Windows 10?

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2015 Dec 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have Photoshop 5.1 running in Windows 7.  Will PS 5.1 work with Windows 10?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 29, 2015 Dec 29, 2015

Cloud & Win10 https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/Windows_10_compatibility_FAQ.html

-also, only CURRENT products will be tested and updated for compatibility with Windows 10

-so if you have an older program, you update to Windows 10 at YOUR risk of problems

An idea that MAY work to install and/or run old programs in Windows 10

-http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/15523-compatibility-mode-settings-apps-change-windows-10-a.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2015 Dec 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cloud & Win10 https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/Windows_10_compatibility_FAQ.html

-also, only CURRENT products will be tested and updated for compatibility with Windows 10

-so if you have an older program, you update to Windows 10 at YOUR risk of problems

An idea that MAY work to install and/or run old programs in Windows 10

-http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/15523-compatibility-mode-settings-apps-change-windows-10-a.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see a lot of these threads locked. But CS2 runs just fine on Windows 10 and way way way way way faster than any of the new cloud apps. I have been using Photoshop since before version 1.0. I have hand written 3.5 floppies in John Knoll's own hand somewhere in my basement.

And have used Illustrator since 1.1.

The cloud just keeps getting worse. Slow, buggy, crash prone.

I have recently begun the curve to other apps. Adobe is just too big and too slow to react to be good for my needs anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The activation servers for CS2 have been shut down.  How did you activate it on Windows 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I explained an odd piece of history of CS2 below. (that explains how I do not depend on activation servers). I doubt CS2 will work well much longer as Windows 10 continues it's updates and goes to 11. But here is a screenshot of the page sent to me via email by Adobe a long time ago. It had downloads of all the CS2 stuff and serial numbers. They deleted the activation server while many people were still using CS2 and had to throw this workaround together quickly because of the outcry. Pardon my typos in the screen below.

And as I said, CS2 runs for me, but who knows for how long and how well for anyone else. I am experimenting with CS3, 5 and 6 in Windows 10 as well. This is all more of curiosity at this point.

Adobe - CS2 Downloads.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You resurrected a 7 yr old topic. 🙄

If you're still using CS2, it's a legacy build that was grandfathered in.  Or not legal software.  In any case, I couldn't use it.  CS2 is way too obsolete for what I do.  CS2 can't hold a feather to modern software with artificial intelligence. But it takes ample resources.  An older, underpowered computer can't cut it.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but had to let people know that they can in fact use older CS versions if it works for them. I use CS2 when I need to have everything work fast, and Creative Cloud when I need newer features (which is very rare). My designers all are very disappointed in Creative Cloud bugs and performance. Very slow. I provided benchmarks recently to an Adobe person who called us (we have many licenses of CC) and they were shocked at how much faster older versions are. You don't need AI to hit the keys for New File and Paste. Used to be fast. Now sloooooooooow. Anyway, hopefully a future release of CC will focus on optimization and performance rather than feature additions. And by the way, the reason there are now so many competitors to Adobe - Topaz, Affinity and more - is because people are looking for something better. Anyway, I'm pulling for Adobe but a very disatisfied customer, one that had been loyal since 1984. I won't be contributing to this or any other thread. Good luck with all your projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is nobody can re-install & activate CS1, CS2, CS3 or CS4 anymore.  The activation servers don't exist!  

CS5 & CS6 are on life support.  They may still work for a while on some machines but not others.  And they will never work on modern Macs (Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey or beyond...).

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess one more post for history.

Yes, at the end of the day, I agree with you and understand that people have to get with the current offering. I however, like many people, prefer non subscription models. And it was Adobe's choice to not support CS6 - they could if they want to, but the all powerful profit and stock price overcomes all objections - thus pay every month forever or lose your software. A friend of mine was global VP of sales at Adobe for many years and he had the inside story on all that and shared it over some wine one night.

As far as activation servers, you apparently don't know the history of CS2, at least not this part, or have forgotten/suppressed it. It came out that some engineers at Adobe found the CS2 activation server and, as engineers do, assumed no one used anything older than *god forbid* three years old. So they deleted it. No warning, nothing. Just hit the big delete button. This happened around 2013 I believe. Everyone thought Adobe was giving CS2 away for free (they were not :)): https://creativepro.com/adobe-is-not-giving-away-cs2/

So many people complained that Adobe had to put up a special webpage with downloads and serial numbers for people who had overnight lost their software. It was a bit of a PR nightmare that Adobe made right on, and learned from. They now do a good job of announcing such twilighting.

I still have all those downloads (and my original CDs for CS1, CS2, CS3, CS5.1, CS 5.5 and CS6. I can't remember why but I never upgraded to CS4.

And I agree about the Mac side of things. I can still run all the old software on PCs but Macs obsolete everything much faster. They even change between PowerPC, Intel and then their own chips. 

Again, at the end of the day, thousands of users of Adobe products are wishing for more nimble, better performing, lighter and bug free software. I guess we'll have to wait to see if anyone at Adobe is listening or cares.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have installer CDs of Photoshop 3.0, 4.0, Illustrator 7.0, Pagemaker 6.0 and 6.5... none of that means much, its old, obsolete and pretty much worthless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, millions of us do. I was responding to a comment that my software could be illegal. Legal but worthless. Is that thing? Did you just call Adobe software worthless? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also have all sorts of installers for old versions of Mac Classic and OS X. Yes, except for collector/historical value, they are worthless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it run? Yes. Is it tested and supported? No. Does everything work? Unknown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been running CS2 for years on Windows 10. Running it right now. Never got much support from Adobe anyway, so that was never an issue. I don't expect it to run for much longer. I have CC running as needed.

But everything does work. The only issue is that on high rez screens, Adobe's dialog boxes, etc, were poorly implemented so the font is small. But enterprising people have even worked out registry hacks to fix that.

At the end of the day, if Adobe made a non-subscription product and worried more about fixing bugs and making things run better, all of this would be moot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So IOW it doesn't work right in all use cases. LMAO...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines