• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Participant ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've asked an irrelevant question. I didn't say that "people who have a different opinion than [me], for whatever their reasoning, have a sickness".

I said that people who think this deal is a good deal have a sickness. In other words, this "deal" is so bad, it is incomprehensible why people would like it unless they didn't understand it, didn't want to understand it, or have a disease that makes them think they must have it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And lest I risk running afoul of Adobe's forum policy of not attacking other users, I'm not saying that people who think this is a good deal definitely do have a sickness. It is just one of the explanations that possibly fits. And though I've written in a somewhat provacative manner, I'm actually quite serious. The hype that has built up over Adobe's software over the last several years is amazingly powerful in influencing people. I hope no one would deny that many people (most in fact) are persuaded to make unwise decisions with far less persuasion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2013 Jun 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe were renting their headquarters, would they sign a contract that said... if you move all of your possesions will stay with the building...I don't think so

If what people are saying is in fact actually true, that is what Adobe is asking us to agree to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

: ) )

But the person who will offer that to them, will do that with the words:
You will never lose all of your posseision. Trust me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike Ornellas wrote:

Many Adobe Employees will abandon ship and create a new start-up.  Watch my words.

A great example of this is the Corona SDK and it founders ex-Adobe mobile engineers. (Just think this industry leading solution could have been Adobe's, but they failed to listen to their own employees)

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/adobe-flash-jobs/

ā€œYou have this white elephant that everybody ignored ā€¦ and yet the [Adobe} management team wasnā€™t doing anything about it."

Sound familiar ? = "Creative Cloud Subscriptions"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fairchild corporation started it all back in the early 60's.   - Silicon Valley -

Many spin off companies were birth from this venture. Please google Fairchild and consume history. And history often repeats itself, because humans are generally ego centric.

http://www.pbs.org/transistor/background1/corgs/fairchild.html

Adobe shall follow suit...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree...When companies have to resort to these kinds of shenanigans to keep customers there is something wrong with them.

What happened to earning them?

If I were running a hedge fund it would be time to sell, sell, sell!

This whole cloud things feels a little like the 90's when zealots were promoting the 'new paradigm' in which business plans didn't matter, and profitability didn't matter.  Well, we all know what happened to most of those companies.  Poof!

Adobe...since when don't customers matter?  Is this your new paradigm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be happy to pay for a CC version -  IF I had a perpetual license for that version. Its so simple to resolve this issue - the technolgy is there. Come on Adobe - meet the users at least part way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

That's what's actually quite funny with the Adobe rhetoric.

They say they are doing this because it results in more frequent software development and updates. Well Adobe, you can have that. If that is the reason for your new model, then WHY are we not allowed to keep the current versions we have installed perpetually when we stop the subscription? That just doesn't make any sense, IF the reason for this new business model is that Adobe can simply then give us more updates.

Of course everyone knows CC has absolutely nothing to do with trying to serve the customers better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100 % agreement. THEY want to decide whatĀ“s good for us. WE donĀ“t have to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy Bay wrote:

Yes.

They say they are doing this because it results in more frequent software development and updates. Well Adobe, you can have that. If that is the reason for your new model, then WHY are we not allowed to keep the current versions we have installed perpetually when we stop the subscription? That just doesn't make any sense, IF the reason for this new business model is that Adobe can simply then give us more updates.

Of course everyone knows CC has absolutely nothing to do with trying to serve the customers better.

Can you point me where we say the only, or primary reason we are doing this is  so we can do more frequent software updates? Doing more frequest updates is ONE advantage of the new model, but it is not THE reason we are doing this shift.

I am going to repost a comment I made on another site. They key thing is that the thing we used to sell, desktop software, is not the thing we are selling anymore.

Adobe is making a fundamental shift in what it builds and sells. For the past couple of decades, we have primarily built and sold desktop software, that would then be bought and used on the desktop. This is changing. We are shifting to creating and selling a more expansive creative process and workflow, of which the apps are only one part.

You can read more on this (and the why) at:

http://www.adobe.com/go/creativevision

You can find a really good diagram showing what the parts that make of the Creative Cloud at:

http://imgur.com/NsiEVev

We also went into a lot of detail on this in the MAX Keynote this week. You can see the relevant section at:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2013/a-creative-evolution-the-creative-process/

This shows some of the initial integration we have done between the apps and cloud, as well as some of the mobile apps and services we are working on.

Now, I understand that a lot of people may not be interested in all of the Cloud stuff, and may say, do both. However, that presents problems, particularly over the long term.

First, we strongly believe that building a more expansive, and connected creative process is the right path for both us, and the larger creative community. But to get there requires a lot of work, and we want to focus on that path (and not split our efforts across multiple paths).

However, more practically, over time more and more functionality in the desktop app will be based on, and or require access to services made available via Creative Cloud. Right now that includes things like sync settings, colors, fonts, etcā€¦ but eventually could include advanced image manipulating algorithms, or other image apis (in the case of photoshop). You would still use your desktop apps, but the core processing and work could happen in the cloud via open apis.

Why have that functionality in the cloud? Well, there are a number of advantages, including being able to do much more CPU intensive work (since we can take advantage of hardware farms in the cloud), and making the functionality open and available to other applications (including desktop, mobile, web and non-Adobe applications).

It is this last point that I am particularly excited about. Because access to the APIs would require a Creative Cloud account, it would be in Adobeā€™s interest to allow anyone to use and build on top of those APIs (even traditional competitorā€™s to Adobe apps). This is a model good for Adobe (more Creative Cloud members), good for non-Adobe app creators (get access world class Adobe technology for their apps) and to users (have a wider range of apps and solutions). This is a huge change in incentives around Adobe technologies, as before, our incentive was to keep it as closed as possible so competitors donā€™t use it and eat into sales of individual products.

Now, of course, you may say, ā€œI donā€™t care about all of that stuffā€, and that is completely fine. However, we do care. This is something that we think can completely change how people create, share and discover, and it is a vision that we are passionate about.

So, in summary, it is not just desktop software anymore.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So some things can only be achieved through the cloud? Got it.

And this fact entails that Adobe cannot offer perpetual licenses because . . . Oh! Wait. Why?

No one! Not anyone here has said that Adobe shouldn't pursue a cloud based system. It's completely awesome! Go for it Adobe! I may even use it, along with many, many, many others . . . even those who are hating Adobe right now . . . IF there are perpetual licenses also.

Adobe can tell us "No!" if they want. And we can tell Adobe "No!" if we want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brntoki wrote:

And this fact entails that Adobe cannot offer perpetual licenses because . . . Oh! Wait. Why?

We haven't said that we "cannot" do perpetual, we have said that given that we believe the right direction for the future is around the Creative Cloud model, we are going to focus on making that a sucess. Focus being the key word. We could do 50 million things, but we have decide to focus on the thing which we think is the most important for the future.

Of course, a lot of people disagree with what we think the right future path is, or just may not like that path. We understand that, and are working to address some of the concerns.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And so it's back to the question of why Adobe cannot simply take my check for $700 or so and let me install the current Photoshop, and use it on my own cloud, i.e., when and where I want.

Of course, you'll presumably have to take issue again with the word "cannot", because the fact is that, as you point out, it isn't an issue of can, but of will. Are you or Adobe going to seriously and with straight face suggest that doing such a thing, offering a download of an app's current stage with a perpetual license, would take up a large amount of resources?

Again, this keeps coming back to what is really motivating Adobe. Every line of reasoning seems suspect at best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay Mike, I understand and appreciate that you are passionate about this move, but can you appreciate that users like me are less passionate about paying heaps of money for something that we either don't use or you haven't developed yet? We have great difficulty in understanding why if the subscription model is so great you're having to force people into it at gunpoint, because that's what it feels like.

David West

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heywoodwest wrote:

Okay Mike, I understand and appreciate that you are passionate about this move, but can you appreciate that users like me are less passionate about paying heaps of money for something that we either don't use or you haven't developed yet? We have great difficulty in understanding why if the subscription model is so great you're having to force people into it at gunpoint, because that's what it feels like.

David West

Yep. Completely understand that. As to why we are not continuing to offer Creative Cloud and perpetual, it comes down to our desire to focus on the area which we think is the right path for the future.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike:

Unfortunately for Adobe, it is becoming very apparent that perhaps 80% (or more?) of your existing Customers neither share your enthusiasm, nor your vision, for a Cloud-based future.

Most of us need efficient, reliable and fast Desktop Applications at Down to Earth prices and by pursuing your dreams for the Future you are totally ignoring the requirements of your Customers for the Present.

I believe that this attitude (and the degree of arrogance and indifference to the needs of your existing customer-base which this attitude is conveying) is going to prove to be the beginning of the end of the Adobe Corporation.

Just imagine that Adobe may have got this Cloud-based idea wrong: where are you hoping to recruit the replacements to the perhaps 7,000,000 existing Customers who decline your invitation to subscribe to your Cloud?

And, even more important, how is your CEO proposing to continue to pay the salaries of the brilliant Adobe engineers who build your amazingly wonderful applications?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brntoki wrote:

Again, this keeps coming back to what is really motivating Adobe. Every line of reasoning seems suspect at best.

I am curious about what you think is motivating Adobe?

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeChambers wrote:

Brntoki wrote:

We haven't said that we "cannot" do perpetual, we have said that given that we believe the right direction for the future is around the Creative Cloud model, we are going to focus on making that a sucess. Focus being the key word. We could do 50 million things, but we have decide to focus on the thing which we think is the most important for the future.

Of course, a lot of people disagree with what we think the right future path is, or just may not like that path. We understand that, and are working to address some of the concerns.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

You can wrap it up in whatever terms you want 'decided to focus', 'right direction'. Its obvious users want to purchase perpetual licenses. There are nearly 30,000 signatures on the  Eliminate the mandatory "creative cloud" subscription model.

https://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-s...

Adobe are NOT doing right by users, Adobe are NOT adressing these concerns in a way that benefits users.

Please don't try to paint it any way other than Adobe is trying to maximize a revenue stream, now and for the future, at the expense of the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul_Taylor wrote:

Eliminate the mandatory "creative cloud" subscription model

Please don't try to paint it any way other than Adobe is trying to maximize a revenue stream, now and for the future, at the expense of the user.

First, it shoudl be pretty clear Creative Cloud is not mandatory, as indicated by the number of people on this thread who have indicated that won't be joining it.

And yes, Adobe is trying to "maximize" our revenue stream. We are a company. Ultimately, we will continue to be successful if we continue to provide value. If we don't, we will fail. But, sometimes industries change, and companies have to shift their focus to remain relevant.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike, first I want to say that I do appreciate your participation in the discussion.

Can you point me where we say the only, or primary reason we are doing this is  so we can do more frequent software updates? Doing more frequest updates is ONE advantage of the new model, but it is not THE reason we are doing this shift.

Well let's take a look at all the reasons you provide at the link you gave me:

You have access to the full set of Adobeā€™s creative tools, with frequent updates

We already have this one. Only the frequency of the updates is slow. I see no real reason why you could not provide more frequent upgrades in a traditional model.

Your assets, settings, styles, colors, and fonts are synced and available across your desktop and mobile devices

Nice. But how many professionals really look forward to working on their mobile phones or tablets? I have my work room with tons of hardware I need and it's hard to imagine doing any substantial work elsewhere. Plus if you wanted, you could easily create an "export Master Collection settings" option that would allow to do that between our devices without any need for an internet connection. So while this feature is nice to have, it's certainly not worth loosing perpetual licenses.

You are connected to the people you collaborate with and the people who inspire you

But I already am very much connected. So where is the innovation in this?

You are able to share your work and get feedback from the community throughout the creative process

I can already do this if I want. But I would never ever show a work in progress publicly on the internet, because that would make my clients very very unhappy!

You can broaden your skills through access to the best training from the best teachers

You can already do this very very nicely. Where is the innovation in this?

There, I went trough all your selling points and there was really not much there to get excited about.

However, more practically, over time more and more functionality in the desktop app will be based on, and or require access to services made available via Creative Cloud.

That's a contradiction of Adobe's own words, since Adobe is claiming elsewhere that a costant internet connection is NOT needed for CC to work. Which one is it? If your response is something like "yeah we mean that CURRENTLY you don't need an internet connection" then that sounds like pretty dishonest rhetoric since you "forget" to mention that in the future you will indeed need a constant connection.

Finally you write:

As far as who are we building this for, we are building it for the creative industry and individuals, with a particular eye to where that industry is moving, as opposed to where it has been.

But the creative process is not broken in any ways. Don't fix it if it ain't broke! You talk about the industry, but what do you mean with that word? I was never surveyd about this move and I bet most of us here ever have been. And if you would have asked what I think of the cloud before the forced subscription announcement in May, I would have probably said "Go for it Adobe, sounds cool". I think any surveys you might have done earlier (without telling about that you are hooking people up for lifetime payments) are worth nothing. I hope your stock owners realize this fact too and don't blindly buy the "We surveyd our customers and they like the cloud" rhetoric!

What Adobe should do as quick as possible, is to do a large survey to it's customer base about CC now that we now the ugly truth about it. Then you'll know just how little there is real enthusiams towards it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy Bay wrote:

What Adobe should do as quick as possible, is to do a large survey to it's customer base about CC now that we now the ugly truth about it. Then you'll know just how little there is real enthusiams towards it.

I would not assume that we have not done this, both before, during and after we made the announcements on May 6th.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you made the results available for your stock holders and/or the public?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my eyes yor statements are hardly believeable.

And not only in mine.
You, as Adobe, want to focus in a new direction (discriped by your references)?
Nothing against real innovation. Nothing against new perspectives.

But: I read many threats, read many articles and letters to editor, heard many voices last month.

Your competition is seen trough your core-business and your core-Apps.

Nothing against the spirit of REAL cloud computing.
Even if it makes sense.
In case of your core-products it doesnĀ“t make any for the moment and foreseeable future.
Or - letĀ“s say - only in case of some additional services.

These additional services could also be sold as an additional product named "cloud".

For those who will be happy with that. For those who need it or think they need.

(Btw: With that disreputable abuse of cloud computing in the name of your "new" product you started a lot of confusion. How many users asking for connectivity problems - didnĀ“t understand, that nothing changed in case of core-Apps?)

Tell me, why you have to change your distribution that radical to go to new directions?
Where are the users benefits?
Cheaper entrance? ItĀ“s no argument if you only need two of these Apps.
BtW your Ex-Educational Suites where also an entrance with a good price.
Cloud as an option was an good entrance (if you donĀ“t make the math).

That syncing services between Apps? I think 99% can be done by Bridge in local networks & the rest will never be able to be the base for that radical change. Would be even a line in the product feature list normaly.

Sharing files? Nothing against that - as an additional offer. If itĀ“s as good and needed for your users they will take it. Or not. Can not be the base for this radical change (Can be bought for [and is given away by Google and Friends] nearly nothing today)

Marketing Services for all - a must have? Footage from Adobe - a must have?

In your post, there was a lot about, what could or eventually could be one nice day.
(DidnĀ“t you realize yourself?)
For the moment itĀ“s still syncing the apps a little bit & sharing, what really happens.
And I think this will go on for next years. Editing video over Web? Editing PS-Files of 100+ MB via web?
This is what Adobe wantĀ“s to tell us? Hey, where are you? Spaceship Enterprise? Higher above any cloud?

It seems and feels, like you would like to have a part of the big-cake (all the companies want) called clients data and knowledge about him. You had a look to the others, who were a little bit faster than you (Google, Facebook, Apple...), but were mostly not as radical as you now.

Your core-Apps are on a level, that real innovation becomes difficult for you (Bravo and thanks to your programmers for this).
ItĀ“s more and more harder to bring the users to Upgrades, as they donĀ“t see the advantages for daily work.
Also you were not able to syncronize all the different GUIs till the last decades.

Pathes, Layers, etcl. - all a little bit tricky different in Apps like InDesign, Illustrator, PS...

Even the speed could be optimized - Parts of code have to be rewriten - but thats no good sellable argument.

So, I would suggest:
Nothing against real innovation.
But first you have to show us your real innovation (and donĀ“t sell us the old thing with a few Gimmicks and tell us itĀ“s new).

And not that kind of innovation: Buying competitors and bringing into our cloud.

(How long do we have to wait for Cinema 4D? Horrible if this will get under your flag! They were so serious, helpful and absolute not arrogant all the last decades - created real good stuff & did great upgrades - would be so hard to say good bye. A lot more than to Adobe. Really.)
DonĀ“t tell us about what you are dreaming of.
DonĀ“t talk about "Visions" as a base of that change.

And if WE decided it is innovation, we can use it, itĀ“s fine and we need it - THEN letĀ“s talk about the price.

Not the fee.

So the acceptance for your products is given by the benefits you bring in.
Telling us so obvious half-truth arguments not.

Forcing and binding? Never.

Paying for CashCow (CC) is like giving a credit to Adobe for innovation thatĀ“s not already done.

You already lost your face for many of us.
You lost many (as me) as a customer.
May be there will be (to) many, deciding to go on with you.
But you have changed the sight on you for the most.
Take every bet.

Conclusion: All the high glossy arguments are hardly believeable.
You want your customers be binded. You want an foreseeable income (understandable - but these conditions are unacceptable). You want a rise of income (not so understandable - think, you had good numbers last years). You want to hold your monopol.

No need to change cloud as an option from customers side. Or? You have to decide whatĀ“s good for us.

Would you buy your own thing (sure you have to say yes)?

- - - - - -

CC = Cash Cow = Terminating the word "Archive" in the digital future = Lifelong dependency = NoGo = Never

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeChambers wrote:

Andy Bay wrote:

Yes.

I am going to repost a comment I made on another site. They key thing is that the thing we used to sell, desktop software, is not the thing we are selling anymore.

Adobe is making a fundamental shift in what it builds and sells. For the past couple of decades, we have primarily built and sold desktop software, that would then be bought and used on the desktop. This is changing. We are shifting to creating and selling a more expansive creative process and workflow, of which the apps are only one part.

You can read more on this (and the why) at:

http://www.adobe.com/go/creativevision

You can find a really good diagram showing what the parts that make of the Creative Cloud at:

http://imgur.com/NsiEVev

We also went into a lot of detail on this in the MAX Keynote this week. You can see the relevant section at:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/max-2013/a-creative-evolution-the-creative-p rocess/

This shows some of the initial integration we have done between the apps and cloud, as well as some of the mobile apps and services we are working on.

Now, I understand that a lot of people may not be interested in all of the Cloud stuff, and may say, do both. However, that presents problems, particularly over the long term.

First, we strongly believe that building a more expansive, and connected creative process is the right path for both us, and the larger creative community. But to get there requires a lot of work, and we want to focus on that path (and not split our efforts across multiple paths).

However, more practically, over time more and more functionality in the desktop app will be based on, and or require access to services made available via Creative Cloud. Right now that includes things like sync settings, colors, fonts, etcā€¦ but eventually could include advanced image manipulating algorithms, or other image apis (in the case of photoshop). You would still use your desktop apps, but the core processing and work could happen in the cloud via open apis.

Why have that functionality in the cloud? Well, there are a number of advantages, including being able to do much more CPU intensive work (since we can take advantage of hardware farms in the cloud), and making the functionality open and available to other applications (including desktop, mobile, web and non-Adobe applications).

It is this last point that I am particularly excited about. Because access to the APIs would require a Creative Cloud account, it would be in Adobeā€™s interest to allow anyone to use and build on top of those APIs (even traditional competitorā€™s to Adobe apps). This is a model good for Adobe (more Creative Cloud members), good for non-Adobe app creators (get access world class Adobe technology for their apps) and to users (have a wider range of apps and solutions). This is a huge change in incentives around Adobe technologies, as before, our incentive was to keep it as closed as possible so competitors donā€™t use it and eat into sales of individual products.

Now, of course, you may say, ā€œI donā€™t care about all of that stuffā€, and that is completely fine. However, we do care. This is something that we think can completely change how people create, share and discover, and it is a vision that we are passionate about.

So, in summary, it is not just desktop software anymore.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

This is crazy talk.  It's telling your customers how you want them to work, instead of empowering them to work how they want - or need - to work.

I actively avoid "collaboration" and "community" (I don't use Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Flickr, or any of the other social media nonsense).  I'm also an individual, not part of a "creative group".  I keep my published work, in large part, private (some of it is private by contracual obligation and/or federal law - "published" doesn't necessarily mean "public").  My "personal portfolio" is not now, and will not in the future be kept with Adobe's cloud services.

So, what does that leave?  It leaves "CC Apps" and "Assets and Settings".  Well, the apps are installed locally, it's just that I can't use them locally without them "phoning home" and without me paying continuously.  Well, at work, funding comes and goes, and sometimes we can pay for upgrades and sometimes we cannot.  And, per our prime contract, we can't rent software.  We can pay for annual software maintenance, but that's it.  Plus, we've at times gone many years without upgrading because addons we developed internally were broken by the upgrade.

At home, it's even worse.  Sometimes I avoid upgrading - at times for years - because a new upgrade broke my old workflow.  I did that with Elements - skipped from 3 to 9 because of a change in 4 that broke my workflow.  It should be my choice whether to upgrade or not, and I should be able to avoid that for a long time if I so choose.  I skipped from XP to Windows 7, for example, and did the upgrade when my own schedule and finances aligned with that upgrade, not when Microsoft (or Dell, or Adobe) wanted me to.

If you insist on forcing this cloud/community/collaboration model on everyone, even if they don't want to use it, you should fully expect them not to use it, and to go elsewhere.  I fully understand that a number of people will absorb this model well, and use it to best advantage.  But you can't expect everyone to adopt it - everyone is different and everyone has different needs and situations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines