• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2015 Aug 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The discussion is ok, but I thing is better two things:

I hope the Adobe will change the condition for CC plans as follow:

if pay use the software with update, when decide to cancel the subscription to CC the software will work the same, but no update will be available....easy !!!!

Massimo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 21, 2015 Aug 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That very thing has been suggested. Indeed, this is how most or all subscription based antivirus software has been operating for many years, a more "business friendly" option has been suggested by many, including myself... that once you have paid for a full year or so, the product gets locked in at that level. Adobe even has a thing where if you are on an annual subscription, but stop partway through, you still have to pay half the remaining payments!!!! If this allowed you to continue using the product but be unable to get updates, people would be a lot less angry. Of course, adobe would make less per customer, but they wouldn't have lost 30 to 50% of their (potential) customer base as they did by this anti-progress, anti-consumer pricing model.

We still have nothing on the horizon for intermediate package users too. Anyone who uses PS and AI is basically getting screwed. As are those who are using PS and premiere and speedgrade and or after effects.

Production premium suite users are universally getting the shaft. Paying 320% more for no added value isn't my cup of tea...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2015 Aug 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After fighting with Autodesk in their forum that payng for maya 250€ a month is ridiculus ive found that this has actually started thanks to adobes model.Since i cant win in autodesk i might as well join here to say that i too am not pleased with the new model of adobe.I have been using it since 2004 and renting it is not a option.

Honestly,how greedy can people get!!!

You have lost another customer.Congrats!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2015 Nov 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why then, is it so terribly difficult to find a site that will sell me CS6 now rather than just forwarding me to an insulting page that says

'Let’s be honest: Some software upgrades are necessary, and others are just nice to have.'

ridiculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2015 Nov 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems that didn't last long ... From the website: "CS6 is almost two years old, and Adobe has no plans to update it. Ever. In contrast, Creative Cloud features all the latest creative software, including more than 500 features that have been added since 2012. Want the latest version of Photoshop or Illustrator? You need to join to Creative Cloud." Creative Cloud now includes Creative Suite Master Collection and Design Premium features

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2015 Nov 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least quote it properly.  CS6 is nearly THREE years old, and the next line says "Yes, you can still buy CS6 products by calling an Adobe call center, but why would you? The features in Creative Cloud will take your creativity further, with more ways to create, collaborate, and share.  To purchase by phone, call 800-585-0774."

It is still available, although they are discouraging its purchase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2016 Jul 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry mike but no one wants to stay on cs6 forever or ten years because new stuff comes in we may not get.

You guys at Adobe need understand "No One Wants To Rent Software"!!!!

I got this account to buy premiere pro cc 2014 but you guys decided to put the stuff for rent, no way.

You guys at Adobe all so don't understand that if you keep doing this more and more people will find a way to crack your software and never pay if you put for rent, it's, it is just ridiculous.

Everyone else that agrees like this comment and let's stand agaisnt this like no offence to Adobe but we just don't want to rent your software we just want to buy with a one time payment and be done and buy the new version every 3-5 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also o do love using your software it is some of the best but I can't just rent it I will loose a lot of money I can not spare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Adobe allow users to buy a perpetual licence of your software.

If users have paid to use CCXXXX I can't see no reason they can't keep opening the projects created with that release.

OCL is right there will be more and more people that will use cracked version of your applications.

Please consider seriously to offer again to the users the perpetual license offer.

Anyway just consider who is happy to rent it will keep renting it.

Best,

Davide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Davide and OCL, I wrote different monts ago this: if customer pay use until pay the license (without downgrade to original version or perpetual license...purchased originally) and able to use the license as perpetual with latest release.....Adobe will be happy to introduce this new software agreement and recapture old customers that using other competitor products.

Regards:

Massimo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I get that but I don't necessarily want to pay monthly till I have paid

off the premiere pro cc and if I did how long do I have to monthly for and

how much would for just lests say perpetual license for the 2015 or 2016

update because I only want to update it every couple years. that's all.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say indefinitely, it seems you mislead a lot of people, because you now no longer offer CS6 as a non-creative cloud product and thats literally all I'm looking to buy. I am a student, and even at the discounted, I'd prefer to pay the one time rate, and not have to continuously pay for something that I was once able to use when and where I wanted without having to pay. It especially sucks seeing that you specify you'll offer cs6 as a standalone indefinitely, when thats very obviously not the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quite right, some print screens:

cs6.jpg

we are prepress company and use CS6 extensively and considering the functionality of the software package I do find it as very well built and usefull.

Adobe shoud use subscription program such as Corel: you buy program with permanent licence or you subscribe for it and get every major upgrade included in subscription with some discount. Anyway you have a choice.

At this time the adobe is, at least in Croatia/Europe, around 5 times more expensive than Corel.

pics included, 240€ for Corel package 1 year subscription, is around 260-270 $, while 8.070,00 Kn is around 1.100,00 $, for Adobe CC standard 1yr subscription, in time of writing of this post.

I guess the most bothering thing about this CC is that you don't have the choice.

We are still at CS6, we have payed it around 1.300,00 $ per licence in 2013., well, do the math....

adb.jpg

crl.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.....infinity lasted less than 4 years. Shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not believe Adobe ever said infinite (meaning forever) their word was indefinite (meaning some unknown amount of time)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Truth of the matter is - i'd like to OWN things. Today's secure, tomorrow sh## hits the fan, money dry up and I need to cancel subscriptions.

I work as a freelancer, so these 'services', instead of just purchasing perpetual - are complete and utter bollocks.

They do not provide any necessary updates beyond mediocrity (i can always pay for an update if i'm interested), and serve only to strip people from cash on monthly basis.

Complete lack of perpetual licensing, or at the very least - <200k income free license - like unity3d does it - proves adobe's intentions to be a greedy hacks on the market.

Same with Autodesk currently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whether we as forum members agree or not, Adobe is a privately owned company and not likely to change course on a decision they made in their accounting and board rooms long ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, yeah. But that's a monopoly for you. Adobe really don't have any competition on the market. None to speak of.

There are a bunch of lesser apps (aside from sony vegas which pretty much matches up premier), but CS combined outweights all of it.

It's a shame really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best place to send your complaint is:

Corporate headquarters

Adobe Systems Incorporated

345 Park Avenue

San Jose, CA 95110-2704

A nice well reasoned letter to the CEO might do the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I honestly doubt it. Because any change in current model, outside of rising the price will be detrimental to their income.

Then again, since people mentioned it's privately owned - they don't need to answer to shareholders. But still.

Those golden hot tubs ain't gonna polish themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the amount of people who use the cracked versions is detrimental to their income.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the percentage of users who are using cracked versions has gone down significantly since the cost of entry is so low now. Consider: before, you would need THOUSANDS of dollars to get the full suite. Piracy ran rampant. Now, it's $50 to get started. Plus pirating is a bit trickier now. And, if you pirate, you lose all the cool CC libraries, TypeKit, etc. stuff that's really useful. I LOVE using the Capture app to grab assets while I'm out and about and having the results immediately available on my workstation when I get home. Even more useful for teams of people!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't say it's that low. When I started college I used a cracked version at home, then a friend got a trial of CC and I liked the blue menu in AE... Yeah I paid for Adobe just so I could have a blue menu. I have the student offer so my payment was €190 and I've started using more programmes because I may as well get my moneys worth AND I don't have to find licence keys if I get a new computer.

That's the best thing about CC, it helps prevent piracy because it's hard to use a cracked version of it as it always updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, no, it's beneficial. Watch this video for more info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

WinRAR?

tumblr_nkegdfjcwh1t1rvzco1_500.gif?w=407&h=235

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines