• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2013 Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TheCoroner9 wrote:

Some wouldn't consider that a gift but punishment.

LOL!  Me, for one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Free stuff as a punishment?

Some viewpoints really are twisted.  No wonder so much negativity here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jimbo -Some viewpoints really are twisted.

Ha ha. And SOME are very naieve. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lasvideo wrote:

Jimbo -Some viewpoints really are twisted.

Ha ha. And SOME are very naieve. 

And some are simply set in reality. Keep drinking your Adobe Kool-aid. Bottoms up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you responded to my post Coroner, just a clarification.

My comment was inteded to be a comment on those folks that Adobe Eternal Rental is OK for eveyone.  I DONT think its OK and am staying on CS6 unless things change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

Like getting free addictive drugs from a dealer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

I think the thing one must keep in mind is that an all expense paid trip to prison is not at all what it's cracked up to be. But that's really what Adobe is offering here, under the smoke and mirrors of the "free" offer. A "free" year goes by very quickly, and then the party is over. But now it's too late! You're a pay subscriber, and must continue to pay forever, if you ever want to work with your files again! And keep in mind those monthly fees will surely rise, all at Adobe's sole discretion. If this is NOT a scenario for negativity, then I don't know what is! Hansel and Gretel were enticed by the free candy, but then the witch captured and ate them, if I recall the story correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 27, 2013 Jul 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jbjones wrote:

That brings up an interesting question. If a company has to resort to strong arming to stay afloat, do you really want to stake your own company's future on on their products?

The answer to this is no, naturally. However, as Adobe managed to push most, if not all, serious contenders out of the race, what else, then? Part of my income relies on freelance "on site" work, and I see no job posts whatsoever seeking artists fluent on Xara, Gimp, or other programs (with the exception of the occasional Quark requirement). Adobe has managed to strategically place themselves into the position of the de facto "go to" toolbox for the graphics industry. What we have here is not unlike the U.S. railroad monopoly of the 19th century. Sad to say, but it appears we now need antitrust laws to govern the big software companies that would seek to place their extortive jackboot on the necks of those from whom they have acquired their wealth in the first place. Not to mention hold their native layered files of the past hostage. I'd prefer to see a boycott by the actual users, but getting enough people on board to make any real impact is, well, like herding cats. I fear that it will only be after Adobe self-destructs will another company endeavor to fill the void.

And then, since no one learns anything from history,  you can probably watch the whole thing happen all over again within a span of twenty years!

My best advice (as if anyone cared!)? DO NOT upgrade to the Creative Cloud. Instead, call and ask to upgrade to a CS6 disk. Run it for as long as you can. And tell all your friends in the industry to do the same. The ONLY way Adobe's totalitarian business model will be defeated is if they cannot get enough Cloud subscribers on board. For in buying in to the Cloud, you are nothing more that a bleating sheep being led to the slaughter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I just finished up a week of Siggraph here in L.A.

And guess who didn't show up.

Adobe!

Gee, I wonder why they weren't here.

Since the staff rarely comment here, and even when they do, they don't really respond to people's concerns, I was prepared to have a nice debate with every Adobe rep at Siggraph.  There were others who were planning to do the same.

But they didn't show up.

Well, I would like you to know, Adobe, that you were the subject of much discussion at Siggraph anyway.  And none of it was positive.  Previously, Autodesk was viewed as the bad guy of the software industry.  Now, you are!

By the way, Autodesk didn't show up either.

So now the two villains of the industry have joined to together in their reluctance to actually face customers and respond to their complaints.

Adobe, maybe you did us all a favor by not showing up.  Please, never show up again!  Make yourself increasingly irrelevant to the industry.  I know it will take time, years in fact, but someday, hopefully, we can all go to Siggraph and say..."Remember Adobe."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't need Indesign... QuarkXpress rules my layout design for years.

Perhaps we should go back to the layout software which change the

world 20 years ago and give Quark a new boost to conquer Indesign...

A small step for a designer, a gigant leap to let Adobe down....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terrachild wrote:

Adobe!

Geez, in my previous life in capital equipment sales, it was an early sign of death if a player didn't show at a major trade show. While Adobe is doing all the right things to alienate me, I really don't want them to die before deciding that better business would be to consider their existing customers' needs. Hmmm... what's that old saying? It's easier to keep a customer than to find a new one? I wonder if Adobe has heard that one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrannieKN wrote:

Terrachild wrote:

Adobe!

Geez, in my previous life in capital equipment sales, it was an early sign of death if a player didn't show at a major trade show. While Adobe is doing all the right things to alienate me, I really don't want them to die before deciding that better business would be to consider their existing customers' needs. Hmmm... what's that old saying? It's easier to keep a customer than to find a new one? I wonder if Adobe has heard that one?

Yep, a beginning to the end. All the signs are loud and clear at this point. As some one I believe said on here previously, a silent arrogance fills the air.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrannieKN wrote:

Terrachild wrote:

Adobe!

Not showing up at a trade show isn't necessarily a sign of early death. The costs of being at a trade show are HUGE. Setting up booths, which require storage and transportation, arranging transportation and lodging and meals for every representative, the booth space itself, etc. The costs are through the roof. Do you know how much it costs to transport a large booth setup around the country and the world? It probably costs Adobe tens of thousands of dollars JUST for the transportation and storage/setup of their booth. At least(I'm basing this one personal experience with companies who have had to pay these costs- it's ridiculous).

Many big companies are leaving the big trade shows. Companies like Apple haven't been going to trade shows for years. They have their own shows instead, just like Adobe. It is happening in the audio software industry as well. Big shows like NAMM are seeing less exhibitors. When a company is big, they don't necessarily NEED trade shows because trade shows are primarily for making business deals, NOT for showing the end user your cool new tech. You can do that online all year long, more than you've ever been able to do before. And you can make business deals without paying tens of thousands to be at a trade show.

So I wouldn't read into it too much. Larger companies are getting out of the trade show business all over the place. It just isn't worth the costs any more. And most of the companies who have left trade shows, at least the big ones, are doing just fine.

Not saying it justifies anything, or that it's the right move. Just adding some perspective.

Brent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

brandall88 wrote:

FrannieKN wrote:

Terrachild wrote:

Adobe!

Not showing up at a trade show isn't necessarily a sign of early death. The costs of being at a trade show are HUGE. Setting up booths, which require storage and transportation, arranging transportation and lodging and meals for every representative, the booth space itself, etc. The costs are through the roof. Do you know how much it costs to transport a large booth setup around the country and the world? It probably costs Adobe tens of thousands of dollars JUST for the transportation and storage/setup of their booth. At least(I'm basing this one personal experience with companies who have had to pay these costs- it's ridiculous).

Many big companies are leaving the big trade shows. Companies like Apple haven't been going to trade shows for years. They have their own shows instead, just like Adobe. It is happening in the audio software industry as well. Big shows like NAMM are seeing less exhibitors. When a company is big, they don't necessarily NEED trade shows because trade shows are primarily for making business deals, NOT for showing the end user your cool new tech. You can do that online all year long, more than you've ever been able to do before. And you can make business deals without paying tens of thousands to be at a trade show.

So I wouldn't read into it too much. Larger companies are getting out of the trade show business all over the place. It just isn't worth the costs any more. And most of the companies who have left trade shows, at least the big ones, are doing just fine.

Not saying it justifies anything, or that it's the right move. Just adding some perspective.

Brent

Brent, you have a valid point here but can you explain why Adobe's reps were on the list scheduled to be there in the presentations and discussions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

creativetta wrote:

brandall88 wrote:

FrannieKN wrote:

Terrachild wrote:

Adobe!

Brent

Brent, you have a valid point here but can you explain why Adobe's reps were on the list scheduled to be there in the presentations and discussions?

No, I can't. My observation was merely for perspective based on the post I replied to. I wasn't aware one way or another on if they were supposed to be there or not.

Of course, it may be that they pulled out at the last minute but the reps were still listed. I honestly have no idea. They could have been purposely avoiding conflict, too. It does make you wonder. But the absence from trade shows in general is becoming the norm for larger companies due to the costs, so who knows.

Brent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All this fits very well with the Adobe's "Emperor's new clothes" -approach. It would be too difficult to shut out the reality of angry customers on a physical location. It's much easier to keep telling "creative cloud is a success" when there is no one to challenge you.

An Adobe sales person on any public event would be pretty much the last thing on earth that I'd like to be at this point in history!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy Bay wrote:

An Adobe sales person on any public event would be pretty much the last thing on earth that I'd like to be at this point in history!

ROFLOL!

Good point!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larger companies are getting out of the trade show business all over the place. It just isn't worth the costs any more. And most of the companies who have left trade shows, at least the big ones, are doing just fine.

Brandall88, you're right. I assumed that Adobe had committed to have a presence at this trade show and decided to leave their spot on the floor empty. It really is very expensive to have a presence at conventions, and when companies budget to be there, and then cancel, it often meant those funds needed to be used elsewhere. If Adobe hadn't committed to being in L.A., their absence means nothing. But, I do agree with Andy Bay that  their reps had to be relieved, regardless of the reason!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy Bay wrote:

Not to mention you would likely have to pay per question asked of that person when they are not repeating the Adobe mantra "The Cloud is great. The Cloud is wonderful. The Cloud is great. The Cloud is wonderful."

But they do appreciate your feedback. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attendance at Trade shows, now that throws up an interesting dilema!!!!

Adobe now has the CC process of operation and there are no major software upgrades, just incremental ones spread out over a year it begs the question or two (or more).

Will Adobe ever attend a Trade show again?

Will they be at a major show like NAB 2014?

If they are they will no doubt be in for quite a reception

I'm in the UK and it is very expensive to even attend a trade show never mind being an exhibitor

Col

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have gone to the last 10 NAB conventions and entry was always free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not saying about an entry fee but the cost of travel and accomodation, all shows in the UK are in London and it is very expensive to travel there and London accomodation is dire and extortionate

Col

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. Im probably the exception to the rule. I live in Vegas about 3 miles from the Convention Center 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will post a list of recent Adobe acquisitions. You can find them for yourselves.

Adobe is on a buying spree.

Why? Despite an extreme backlash from their traditional customer base?

Who is this link hosted jive-719982988-swr-2-3awxq@mail.forums.adobe.com Just wondering how Adobe outsources their view prior to buying the competition.

Isn’t this something the US Department of Justice or some responsible Europe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 30, 2013 Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case you haven't seen this post on facebook. Sheds a new light on the unknown issues with Adobe's subscription model.

Vaal Twize

Adobe dictate me what place I should to work from! Well... I was nearly to subscribe to CC, and was need to clear out one question - 

What happened if I will work in other country I subscribe in time more then ONE month and if I need to renew subscription from Russia, as example? (CC don't have cloud service there) If I still will have eligibility to use the CC ?

No, ANY WAY!

I have had long conversation with representatives just to find out how to restrictive the Adobe Creative Cloud service:

Valentin: no , I mean I will pay you as usual, from my New Zealand bank but will work some time (say 3 month) from Russia

Rona: You will be able to continue your work, until the payment is transacted.

Rona: Are we still connected?

Valentin: should I interact with your web server each month to put in a product key?

Rona: No, you do not need a product key or contact us to used the subscription.

Rona: It will get renewed by itself.

Valentin: so all year around I can work and to be OFFline?

Rona: You will need to connect to the Internet once in a while, say one in every 30 days.

Valentin: what happened if your webserver find out I'm working from Russia?

Rona: It will suspend the subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines