• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Engaged ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was the idea of CC yours?? Seams your totaly infected of the adobe marketing gurus.

Where are the "cool" updates your talking about?
I don´t find it very cool to find x-thousand updates in my smart-phone, everytime i go online.

waiting and installing and getting familar with new functions.

The changes of most software within a year are regularily not significant (espec. at adobe)

And bugfixes can be given over the update-tool. Theres no need for a cloud.

And there is the risk of too fast update cycles also. The big upgrades are mostly tested versions.

Maybe that will change in future (some other companies, sometimes add functions, that are ver buggy).

And by the way: For faster Upgrade-cycles a cloud-jail isn´t necessary. Can be done by an update-tool also.

OK. 99% of users will be online once in 180 days.

But if you are an journalist and travelling threw last corners of earth - maybe you´ll have hassles an have to pay telephone-charges.

And after all: I´m owning the master collection and updated all the years.

I want to own my software and wan´t to be shure, that I can open my files when I decide to chance my software-subscription.

Doesn´t matter if it´s more expensive.

And who will stop Adobe to make their subscriptions more expensive in the next years, when nobody can quit (without loosing the access to his files)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote:

"and Adobe can just concentrate on making great products and improving them regularly rather than making some big splashy marketing push every two years just to make it seem worth upgrading...."

During the last 10 years Adobe software has improved very little. I can get most of my work done with CS3 without any problems. Most of the user requests fall on def ears. The most ridiculous thing is that AE still didn't get timeline folders. I don't know wheter to laugh or cry. Or maybe do neither and simply use Blender to replace AE. Adobe is switching to the forced money extraction strategy for one reason only: it hasn't been able to provide wanted enough features in it's software to make people actually WANT the upgrade. So now they are removing that problem by removing the need for people to want to upgrade. Sorry to say it wont work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree.

Maybe the changed distribution model, because have to few "real" updates.

(And yes: Me to. Most of my work (98%) can also be done with CS3)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can still do most of my work on CS3 or CS4 - but I have to admit that

"Content Aware" was a good add and is what prompted me to get CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Daryl Barnes:
Ok, I get it. You are an Adobe Team member. So please stop writing this cr** and listen to us, the people.

We don't accept this. There is no advantage for the customer. Only for Adobe who will generate a lot more money.

I don't always want the latest version of my apps. I want to decide when to update. Sometimes I do it some years later. Because I am used to my version, because I feel comfortable in it and am used to every button.

I and most other people in all agencies I've worked in so far experience new Adobe software as stress. They like "their" versions and clearly don't want to be forced into a new workspace only because Adobe decides it's time for a new Photoshop.

So, dude, go back to your Adobe bosses and tell them the crowd is not amused and Adobe will go down it it skrews the whole industry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.

And: I often keep older versions of Applications (So at the moment I use photoshop V3, V4, V5, V6 all on the same mashine) because they are kompatibel to older scanners, older plugins, and, and, and...

With this ridiculous CC - I can´t. Surely causes incompatibilities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't always want the latest version of my apps. I want to decide when to update.

The updates are not forced.   Yes, you still will have to pay monthly,  but you can refuse updates until you're ready for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is a classic case of an over inflated ego at the product

management or VP level getting married to an idea and not being able to see

the forest through the trees. I've seen it many times before, including

when I worked for Adobe. Some VP or Director gets a hair brained idea, then

markets it up the ladder where they only look at the up-side potential and

any negatives get swept under the rug until it becomes policy. Then they

all sit around congratulating themselves on how brilliant they are (that's

where we are now in this cycle).

What comes next though is important. Either they take the backlash

seriously or they blow it off as just a handful of stick-in-the mud

fuddy-duddies who can't embrace the future. If they take it seriously in a

week or so they'll come out with some retraction or modification (it takes a

few weeks for all the meetings that must take place and for the all the

ass-covering that must go on). If they blow off the backlash then the stock

market will deal with it if earnings plummet. In this last case the VP or

Director who thought up the scheme will be looking for a new job.

What I'm talking about here is not the CC itself which is probably a good

marketing channel for those that are all-in, but the idea of abandoning the

traditional channel of selling perpetual licenses to use the products.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no problem with the concept but the assumption that everyone using

any CS product line:

a) has or needs all of them is false. I only use PS and LR and have no need

or desire to use any of the others.

b) that everyone needs all the latest improvements instantly. I get every

release of LR but only every 2nd or 3rd release of PS.

For me, I pay around $79 every 18 months or so for a LR upgrades, and a

couple hundred every 4 years or so for PS. So, over a 5 year period I spend

around $500. In this new scheme I'd be paying $2,760 (1 year @ $30/mo, 4

years @ $50/mo). $500 vs. $2,760 - not a very attractive proposal and not

one I'm going to buy into.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a simple solution. Allow subscribers to keep using whatever state the software was in upon end of subscription. Require a certian subscription length until this option will be available. You will not receive any software updates after the subscription ends.

Nobody takes your magazines away from you when your subscription ends why should this be any different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would even be ammenable to paying a fee to get my "perpetual license".   Maybe lower the the fee the longer you've been subscribed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've been very happy so far with Creative Cloud because with CC we've seen much faster release updates with new and better features and bug fixes than in the past and this has allowed us to create better results for our clients faster.

There was nothing keeping them from updating perpetual license customers in a more timely manner.  Software companies do it all the time.  The whole "more frequent updates" was just incentive to push people to their cloud service, while the rest of their customers, who paid cash up front were left to wait for the updates on the next whole version release, and pay again to get them.

For new customers,  CC might seem enticing,  we just upgraded to Design and Web Premium CS6 about 6 months ago at $375 per seat x 4 users.  $1500.     At $50/month, this will now cost us $2400 a year.  Yes, the buy in is cheaper,  but not if you already have the software.   How many people use just a few programs and don't need 80% of what's in the CC bundle? Lots. 

Adobe has been going on and on about how many happy CC users there are now,  well how many of them signed up because over the last year Adobe has made it increasingly more difficult to even get to a BUY button without going through 15 CC ads.  I think people just give up and sign up.

Used to be you could upgrade from a VERY old version to the newest,  then it became two versions back,  then/now it's one version back,  now it's CC...

Creative Cloud,  Creative Cloud,  Creative Cloud!!

http://youtu.be/bv6CUbFvC2Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SoilentGreen wrote:

There was nothing keeping them from updating perpetual license customers in a more timely manner.  Software companies do it all the time.  The whole "more frequent updates" was just incentive to push people to their cloud service, while the rest of their customers, who paid cash up front were left to wait for the updates on the next whole version release, and pay again to get them.

Actually, there are legal and accounting restrictions on adding new features to programs after they have been purchased. These restrictions do not apply when there is an ongoing payment.

For more information, look up revenue recognition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenue_recognition

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

legal and accounting restrictions on adding new features to programs after they have been purchased.

Maybe for Adobe, but features are added to other perpetual licenced software all the time. No ongoing payment required.

Read through the Wiki,  but being as I'm not an accountant,  it didn't help...  Does this have something to do with Adobe being a public company and having different rules?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does Apple get away with it for FCP-X?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeChambers wrote:

Actually, there are legal and accounting restrictions on adding new features to programs after they have been purchased. These restrictions do not apply when there is an ongoing payment.

For more information, look up revenue recognition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revenue_recognition

mike chambers

What is this a farce rapped in a riddle?

Adobe historically has added "features" post sale, but now its magically illegal to not oppose the cloud structure, come on man, be serious.

I wanna sit in on the next installment of the "Adobe Employee Spin Marketing: How to effectively create smoke and mirror diversions for customers", internal seminar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

har har har

You did that in your history.

And - the longer I´m concentrating on this distribution change, the more I become of the opinion, that this is not conform to german rights.

It´s like stoping the evolution of a software.

And than going on with the evolution as a new model.

I think that´s only legal if the software product is absolutly a new one.

I think I let that be prooven.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2013 Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe_CC.JPGI

I'm against CC because I have to pay a lot for stuff i don't use...

Regards Valentin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you, Valentin. Also, it used to be I could upgrade my software every three years or so by paying $700.  Now I am forced to pay $600 each and every year, just to use the applications I am already using.  And people call this a great deal???  Incredible.  This plus the many horror stories of Adobe unable to help its customers with Creative Cloud issues clearly tells me that the Creative Cloud is NOT for professionals.  That's right -- I know many people believe the opposite.  But people who have to meet deadlines shouldn't have to be on the phone to India for hours to fix something that would never have happened had the software simply been purchased outright.  Because I am a professional I am now forced to leave Adobe far behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John for your comment. I can't believe that many people call this a a great deal. This CC is just an idea to keep share holders satisfied.

To genrated more money in a less amount of time.

Is it legal to force already Adobe users to this CC?

I mean... let's say... You own a car, payed for it and suddenly someone says that you have to pay a montly fee to drive it.

You: 'But I own the car'. Adobe: Oké but now we allow you to drive as many miles you like and were ever you want to go...

I'm using Adobe software for more than 20 years and now I feel betrayed by them...

The only thing we can do is to keep CS6 running as long as possible..... It works now and will do over 5 years....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 08, 2013 Jun 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow -- that's a great parallel you've made with owning the car.  It really captures this quite well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2013 Jun 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John! Parallels with cars often work very good... But sadly it is what Adobe is asking from us...

I read a lot at a forum here in The Netherlands about this CC-thing and there the common thoughts are that Adobe is

making a great deal... Aaaaarrrrrrrggghhhh why can't they see that we all see...?

Keep u posted.

Groeten Valentin

Ocheda Grafische Creaties

Meiland 17A

<Removed by Moderator>

Op 8 jun 2013, om 20:50 heeft John Wykes het volgende geschreven:

Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?

created by John Wykes in Adobe Creative Cloud - View the full discussion

Wow -- that's a great parallel you've made with owning the car.  It really captures this quite well.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/5390446#5390446

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Adobe Creative Cloud by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ValentinOcheda please be care with posting your personal information.  This is a public forum so I have edited your post #879 to remove your contact information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2016 May 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

I cant access my creative cloud as I am prompted to renew my subscription, but my subscription only ends on the 31st of May 2016. Can you please advise me accordingly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines