• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What hapend to the Adobe that wanted to know what we thought?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

001andrew wrote:

What hapend to the Adobe that wanted to know what we thought?

Dont worry Adobe knows what is best for all of us. Adobe needs an iron sign above it's front door that reads "Paying makes you free".

MikeChambers wrote:

... we are not changing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case anyone here is unaware of its existence, there is a petition on Change.org which Adobe - and its shareholders - may deign to acknowledge: https://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-s.... It's the closest thing we have to a lobby group (for now).

Before anyone is tempted to compare the number of signatures there to the number of CC subscribers (c. 500,000, I understand), let me point out that research suggests that for every one person who voices a complaint, there are at least 26 more that do not voice theirs. At the time of posting, there are 26,669 signature on that petition. Multiply that by 26 (and remember, research suggests this is the minimum) and you get 693,394. Then consider that this petition has not been widely publicised.

That's something for Adobe and their shareholders to mull over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Options to Adobe are there and they are not

here are a few.

Edit video

Lightworks free and used on tons of features. is linux Mac and Win

or  Use resolve 10 also free

Avid, Vegas, edius and so on

http://www.lwks.com/

Indesign go back to Quark

http://content.quark.com/OnePricePromotion_2013_US.html?gclid=COu1nKCnubcCFQSCQgodt2UADw

For photoshop and Illistraor thats tricky use what you got from Lord Adobe ! or use Gimp free, or use your Pshop Cs to upgrade to corel

http://content.quark.com/OnePricePromotion_2013_US.html?gclid=COu1nKCnubcCFQSCQgodt2UADw

After effects Not many Options that is the bummer.

Nuke? 'Motion?

Lightroom you can check out raw therapy and others

http://rawtherapee.com/

The plug ins ? No one is talking plug ins we are to buy our plug ins and rent the host software? It seams that not only is Adobe screwing all of us but they are also screwing the plug in makers. They will cut into the hardware also. This will slow down hardware upgrades. they tend to happen in pairs. At least for me it has always been together. What about all the retailers, The folks that held user groups and Adobe training and had a nice box on the wall of Adobe software. They are getting screwed. I personally think that the investors are getting screwed because Adobe sold them a cloud with a gold lining that is really full of krap. So with just about everyone getting screwed by Adobe we are should belief them in saying we care.

Now the folks that win here are the training vendors. Authors etc. Those people are eligable for the new Equity program! tadahh. Yes its true the peole saying the cloud is great get on it are many times the people who wrote books and offer training. No names on Adobe forums. sorry folks I have been scolded. Now the cloud also opens up a new base to teach to. So they are like lord Adobe seeing the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

If we stay strong the stock will drop and Shintu will quit and we can have waht we want

Tell everyone you know to leave the cloud now!

Below is Adobe talking to wall street. To us the cloud is pitched as a value. to wall street it pitched as increased prrofits.

Revenue from Digital Media decreased $36.0 million during the three months ended March 1, 2013 as compared to the three months ended March 2, 2012, primarily due to continued strong adoption of Creative Cloud and ETLAs as we continue to transition more of our business to a subscription-based model.

Revenue related to our creative professional products, which include our Creative Suite editions and CS point products as well as the recently released Creative Cloud, decreased during the three months ended March 1, 2013 as compared to the three months ended March 2, 2012 due to continued customer adoption of Creative Cloud subscription offerings, released in May 2012. We anticipate accelerated adoption of Creative Cloud, for which revenue is recognized over time, and that this adoption will cause our traditional perpetual license revenue to decline.

Revenue associated with our other creative products increased during the three months ended March 1, 2013 as compared to the three months ended March 2, 2012 primarily due to increases associated with distribution of third-party software via Flash Player downloads and our Digital Publishing Suite, as well as continued demand related to the May 2012 release of Adobe Lightroom 4. These increases were offset in part by decreases associated with lower than expected demand for our Photoshop Elements family of products.

For our creative offerings, the total number of perpetual units licensed decreased while the number of subscription units licensed increased during the three months ended March 1, 2013 as compared to the three months ended March 2, 2012. Unit average selling prices, excluding subscriptions, remained relatively stable during the three months ended March 1, 2013 as compared to the same period in the prior year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeChambers, thanks for the blog post. That is one very carefully worded statement. But it's something.

The thing is, we need to be able to rely on our tools, and the company behind the tools. We build our careers around them after all! Adobe just changes the rules too often. And we, the customers, are left wondering what the hell is going to happen next. That does not create a stable work environment we can rely on.

I really hate the 'only one version behind upgrade policy' Adobe had forced on us, that shows a total lack of respect for customers. And now, without warning, we suddenly find ourselves in a subscription only hostage situation!

Adobe is just so unpredictable. How can we trust a company that changes its policies so often and treats customers like cattle? We can't even predict what Adobe is going to do next week at this point! But we always seem worse off than before. So how can you expect us to go along with a subscription only model that essentially locks us in for life? We want perpetual licenses for a reason. Security. And at this point it's security against Adobe itself. We can't know what crazy scheme Adobe is going to pull next. But whatever it is, if I don't like it I want a recent perpetual license to fall back on. And that really isn't a 'strange thing' to ask for.

We all know these programs aren't toys, they are serious professional tools. Why can't Adobe start acting like a professional company as well? Reliability is more important than making a big splash every 2/3 years. Shantanu Narayen, and perhaps some other people at the top of Adobe, seem more concerned with creating 'game changers'. That's not what we want. We want reliability in the company that supplies us with the tools so we can do our work.

With regards to file access, Adobe completely agrees that customers should have access to their files if they choose to stop their Creative Cloud membership. [...], but there are a number of options open to us here and we expect to have news around this issue shortly.

MikeChambers wrote:
[...] Any solutions to concerns will be within the framework of Creative Cloud [...]

I am very interested in the solution Adobe comes up with. Make it a good one... A very good one. At this point the only thing I'm really going to miss are future updates for Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extremly well stated, Jeff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeChambers wrote:

At the end of the day, we know that means we may lose you as a customer.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

In my case ... after 20 years of supporting Adobe, there is no "may" involved in the equation ... you have lost me ... and for you that should be of grave concern because I will spend money on software ... though none of it will be available to end up in your payroll ...

Perhaps, better planning for CC should have taken place before it was announced and implemented that could have avoided all this mess.  What you have done is shown a crack in your armor for an opportunity for some young industrious developers to attract those of us who are unhappy with the CC licensing model ... keep in mind ... CC subscribers have nothing to bind them to a perpetual subscription that they can't cancel at any time and use a competing option ... there is absolutely no equity (or loyalty) to be gained by sticking around if they discover a better deal ... Remember how many customers dropped Quark Xpress because of their rigid attitude to adopt InDesign? It's possible the worm has turned in that respect.

I've said it before, but it is worthy of repeating ... If the CC subscription model really was all it is proclaimed to be, we all would have pushed, shoved and tripped over each other to enroll a year ago when it was first offered ... then Adobe could have dropped perpetual licensing for CS apps due to a lack of interest ... then next to no one would have noticed it's absence.

Please pass along to your marketing department and executive board ... perhaps you should have a "discussion" with your customers before you implement the next round of innovations. You'll likely lose far fewer customers by actually knowing what their thoughts are rather than assuming you know how they feel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is pointless, but I wish to voice my frustrations against Adobe.

We have 20 licenses (give or take). An upgrade license costs in the vicinity of 500 USD and would (usually) last me two years until the next version arrived, which would requires us to pay 500 USB again for each user.

That's a yearly price of 20*500/2 = 5000 USD.

If we were to upgrade to CC, the new yearly price (according to our local Adobe-partner) would be 20*1200 = 24000 USD. The prices might differ a bit (because of currency conversions and the like), but the fact of the matter is, that it is hilariously more expensive. Sure, we get access to Premiere Pro, some web-tools and a wide array of programs I couldn't care less about, but how is that relevant for us? We have always used the Design Standard version, since it has what we need and no more.

So therefore, dear Adobe.

Either lower the price, make different packages available (bring back design standard for a monthly fee of 20-30 USD) or you'll lose our business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> So therefore, dear Adobe. Either lower the price, make different packages available

> (bring back design standard for a monthly fee of 20-30 USD) or you'll lose our business.

In the end that's our only leverage. Vote with your wallet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Butch_M wrote:

I've said it before, but it is worthy of repeating ... If the CC subscription model really was all it is proclaimed to be, we all would have pushed, shoved and tripped over each other to enroll a year ago when it was first offered ... then Adobe could have dropped perpetual licensing for CS apps due to a lack of interest ... then next to no one would have noticed it's absence.

Exactly. Like Microsoft and Windows 8, instead of letting people choose which way they thought was best ( A Customer centric approach), they instead try to force you to where they want you to go.

It appears that they believe their customers must be forced to do something that they wouldn't otherwise do. All for our own good, I'm sure...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> So, let me be really clear. Terrachild, I understand that you want us to sell our future

> creative software as a perpetual licenses. I get that. Adobe gets that. But we have also

> decided that we are going to go in another direction and focus on Creative Cloud, and an

> offering that extends beyond just desktop applications. At the end of the day, we know

> that means we may lose you as a customer.

This is what I've said is Adobe's plan all along. Adobe thinks it will make up in new increased profit what it loses in revenue from customers not willing to move to the subscription model.

"Comply or be ground under the wheels of 'progress' "... Or perhaps "Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeChambers wrote:

Im not trying to convince you of anything. I am trying to explain what we are doing, why, and what our plans are. I think all of our communications have been pretty clear in that we understand not everyone is going to go down this path with us.

So, let me be really clear. Terrachild, I understand that you want us to sell our future creative software as a perpetual licenses. I get that. Adobe gets that. But we have also decided that we are going to go in another direction and focus on Creative Cloud, and an offering that extends beyond just desktop applications. At the end of the day, we know that means we may lose you as a customer. We hope it doesn't, and we are actively exploring solutions within the context of Creative Cloud that will address many of the concerns.

We think this is the right direction, but it is up to us to build out and show the value in what we are offering. If we don't, we will fail, if we do, then we will suceed.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Hi Mike,

I don't get this.You are saying Adobe deliberately chooses to loose 1 billion dollars in the next 4 to 5 years just because it believes it can make more money thereafter? Very clearly it is not about its customers anymore. Do you know that all those predictions are very rosy to begin with and that with the immense resistance of your customer base the predictions will be way off. Can you tell me why you still think this will work and Adobe won't loose its position in the market completely? I have never seen any market change being successful that goes so much against the market needs. Adobe's own numbers tell a different story than what Adobe is telling.

We think this is the right direction, but it is up to us to build out and show the value in what we are offering. If we don't, we will fail, if we do, then we will suceed.

The last statement sounds outright stupid to me. You mean your board of directors gambles with the future of the whole company, including your job, and the money of the shareholders? Why? It can't be for some money it the future. Is it really just about the ego of some people? It would have been nothing new. Pride comes before a fall. But, Mike, do you really understand what it means if you fail? Adobe did really well the past years, so there was no real reason to put a whole company at jeopardy.

Marcus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

News item:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/05/28/adobe-acquires-creative-consultancy-ideacodes-names-co-founders-as-...

"Adobe Acqui-hires Creative Consultancy Ideacodes, Names Co-Founders As Creative Directors Of Creative Cloud

"According to Adobe’s Jeff Veen, “The Ideacodes team will help us realize our goal of making Creative Cloud indispensable for creatives worldwide.”

Indispensable, as in "paying for this service is absolutely necessary in order to work and make a living."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeChambers wrote:

Our future path and focus is around Creative Cloud, we are not changing that. Any solutions to concerns will be within the framework of Creative Cloud, and not the old perpetual model.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Mike, just repeating marketing shibboleth and propaganda doesn’t make the false statements more correct. Even when the existence of “weapons of mass destruction” was repeated over and over they still were not found.

Maybe Adobe forgets who pays the bills. Yes, they are paid by the customers. Trying to force something on them that they don’t want is evil and stupid. Mike, maybe you should look for a new job, because it is not sure that Adobe is able to pay you next year.

We want to start off by reinforcing that we continue to believe that the move to Creative Cloud will benefit the wider creative community because of the constant stream of innovation that we’re able to deliver. Creative Cloud also allows us to explore new areas in mobile apps, helping you collaborate better and build a meaningful worldwide community to share work and find inspiration. Because of this we have no plans to change our focus on Creative Cloud. We understand this is a big change and for customers who are not yet ready to move, we will continue to offer CS6 products through our reseller partners and Adobe.com.

In the same paragraph Adobe state that it understands, but still doesn’t care. That is fierce. In this smoke and mirror game Adobe equates its cloud services with its subscription system. Those are two different and independent things. They can offer cloud services, but still sell perpetual licenses to their core products. They could even sell cloud services as an additional payable feature. In the last year the only cloud feature they offered was some file space in the cloud. The fact that they made upgrades only available to cloud customers has nothing to do with the cloud. Two years ago Adobe stated that they will move to a yearly upgrade cycle. If you consider the price that customers paid for their CS6 perpetual license upgrade as a one year investment they paid more than the customers that took the cloud, but Adobe didn’t give their loyal customers access to the update. This was just another force mechanism, but not a technical or cloud issue. Adobe deliberately decided to hurt their loyal customers. Adobe also stated until about a month ago that the updates that came with last year’s cloud will be available with the next perpetual update cycle. Where is it? So Adobe lied! How can Adobe dare to state that it will benefit the wider creative community?

Our goal with Creative Cloud is to deliver the world’s best creative products and services to customers.

Why doesn’t Adobe follow up with this goal? What the best creative products are is decided by the customer, not by Adobe. If Adobe doesn’t follow up on their customers’ needs it is doomed. And even if Adobe has the best products they need to sell them, but if customers don’t like the sales paradigm or price Adobe is doomed again. Why does Adobe need to force customers into the cloud when they have the best products? Killing upgrade paths from older versions or only making innovations through the cloud are all dictatorship that pushes people forcedly into a direction that is only good for the dictator. Adobe is misusing its powers and is creating a creative revolution.

We will continue to offer new innovation in apps and services on an ongoing basis, which is one of the top reasons members tell us they are subscribing.

There is no reason at all that Adobe can’t offer innovation on an ongoing basis with perpetual licenses. The fact is that Adobe deliberately decided to offer innovation only with subscriptions. Here cause and reason are nicely switched to create a false premise.

We were thrilled with customer adoption leading up to the announcement on May 6th, with over 80% of people purchasing on Adobe.com selecting Creative Cloud.

The 80% number can’t confirm Adobe’s statement.  First it is not precise. In what timespan was this number measured, one day, one month, since Adobe started to sell cloud? 80% is relative. What number does it refer to? If Adobe only sold 500.000 cloud subscriptions to their customer base of 10-12 million (plus the pirated versions), it actually means that they only sold 100.000 perpetual licenses. This number is way too low if it would reflect the whole last year since cloud was offered first. Half of Adobe’s 10 million customer base just updated to CS6 within the last year. A lot of those perpetual licenses were sold by their dealer network, that they just killed, too, but 100.000 sold licenses via the Adobe website can’t be true. The other half of Adobe’s customer base still sits on older versions. A major part of those remaining 10 million customers were looking forward for CS7.  They don’t want to go for subscription. Adobe just started to sell the cloud a year ago. It is common with new technology that you will see a sales spike at the beginning, because of enthusiasts and visionaries that will jump on anything new, but this spike will come down very very soon if you don’t attract mainstream. The cloud offer also gave people, who couldn’t afford the steep starting price an option to use it, but Adobe’s major sales base is not the new customers it is Adobe’s existing customers. Even the early adopters might think different in one or two years, too, experiencing many of the problems reported all over the Internet.

We sincerely appreciate all the feedback you have given us. We believe that an honest and open dialogue with the community will ensure that, together, we can move the creative process forward.

Sorry, Adobe’s word sound nice, but all of their latest actions speak differently. Adobe can’t be trusted anymore. It doesn’t care and apparently even doesn’t know anymore that it should care for its customers. Adobe succeeded to get its name associated with a lot of negative feelings. Great marketing move!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeChambers wrote:

W_J_T wrote:

In regards to #3 so is it, or is it not = Creative Cloud or CS6 abandon-ware, as the only choice Adobe is planning to offer? You stated it yourself in the comments on a blog post.

Our future path and focus is around Creative Cloud, we are not changing that. Any solutions to concerns will be within the framework of Creative Cloud, and not the old perpetual model.

mike chambers

mesh@adobe.com

Dear Adobe - Our future path and focus is not around Creative Cloud and Adobe products. We are not changing that. Any solutions to concerns will be within the framework of the old perpetual model, and not the framework of the ill-conceived Creative Cloud subscription model.

Sincerely,

Your former lifelong customers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cnet recently released their Creative Cloud survey results. See http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57586530-92/survey-creative-suite-users-loathe-adobes-subscriptions... .  The respondents are not too happy...

They also have an article at http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57586521-92/dislike-adobes-creative-cloud-subscriptions-tough-beans... where Adobe says that if you want the subscriptions back, then it just sucks to be you...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had to sheed some light here

- Some customers are not convinced that Creative Cloud is right for them and would rather continue to purchase desktop applications as before.

Really its a matter of us being convinced well now it all makes sense. Well Adobe I think that what we are sure of is that the cloud is a freaking joke and the problems show that clearly. The price is through the roof and you removed our right to choose, And did so breaking the agreement  of upgrade.

So wise up ande figure out you made a grave mistake soon for everyones benifit. Or be stuborn and join this list.

http://www.businesspundit.com/the-25-worst-business-failures-in-history/

http://www.businesspundit.com/the-25-worst-business-failures-in-history/

- Some customers are not convinced that Creative Cloud is right for them and would rather continue to purchase desktop applications as before.

- we have no plans to change our focus on Creative Cloud. We understand this is a big change and for customers who are not yet ready to move, we will continue to offer CS6 products through our reseller partners and Adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2013 May 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't understand why this is such a big deal to so many people.  This service Adobe offers make their products insanely affordable for a great many people who could not afford it previously.  Adobe has some of the best software in the industry and the amount of piracy surrounding it is staggeringly high.  I suspect that this change in direction will curb a lot of that abuse and allow more people to legally use their products.  I have happily used this service for about eight months now and I'm very pleased with it.  I think this is a good business direction for Adobe to be taking, and I have nothing but praise to offer them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eNetwizard wrote:

I really don't understand why this is such a big deal to so many people.  This service Adobe offers make their products insanely affordable for a great many people who could not afford it previously.  Adobe has some of the best software in the industry and the amount of piracy surrounding it is staggeringly high.  I suspect that this change in direction will curb a lot of that abuse and allow more people to legally use their products.  I have happily used this service for about eight months now and I'm very pleased with it.  I think this is a good business direction for Adobe to be taking, and I have nothing but praise to offer them.

Hi eNetwizard,

Different customers have different needs. Today's business schools teach that you need to offer your customer the value that they need. The cloud is a great value to some, but for various reasons not for the most:

• pay indefinitely, or lose editability of your work and if you use typekit fonts lose the correct display of your website, etc.
  • you can't decide anymore if Adobe's software is worth the value to pay for it, you need to keep working on your old files (there will be very little incentive to improve products after enough customers are hooked in)
  • on the assumption that Adobe won't increase the price for CC it makes monetary wise only sense for 2 groups:
    1) new customers that intend to use it for many years to come and would upgrade to every new version instantly
    2) businesses that gain a tax benefit from deducting the software price immediately.
    For existing customers and all others CC is between 150 and 350% more expensive, which is not justified by an equally increased value
  • not available in various countries
  • constant updates are counterproductive for businesses who need to develop specific workflows. Workflow changes need to re-evaluated or adjusted if new versions come out. This costs time and money and needs to be planned.
  • requires high-bandwidth Internet connection
  • payment by credit card only
  • security questions
  • getting annoying messages every month that your subscription ends in 3 days
  • too much dependence on the Internet, that cause problems if the service or you Internet connection is down. Since you now have more points of failure the likelihood of failures increases.
  • terms and conditions where Adobe is not reliable when he service is down. Only for enterprise cloud services Adobe guarantees that its typekit fonts are free of any rights issues
  • after so many lies and neglecting customer’s needs Adobe can't be trusted anymore. So make yourself completely dependable of Adobe is like suicide.

I hope you can understand now that the cloud is not a valuable or good choice for many users, which apparently are also the vast majority.

All the people who complain about Adobe's decision are not against the cloud, just for a choice so they can choose what is best for them.

Marcus

Message was edited by: Marcus Koch, reason: formatting, spell correction, and added text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I really don't understand why this is such a big deal to so many people.

Oh, where to start .

Probably with the fact that we previously had a choice, and that choice was removed in what I argue is primarily for Adobes interests at the expense of its customers.

Some people might be ok with that (and that's fine), but many are unhappy about it (after a long term prior relationship with Adobe) because of the long-term consequences and loss of control.

> This service Adobe offers make their products insanely affordable for a great many people

> who could not afford it previously.

It's mainly 'insanely affordable' in the short term and if you didn't have any prior versions already. If you already had Photoshop (for example),then it's even less 'affordable' over time (compared to before).

Going with the subscription model means you are now on a forced continuous treadmill of payments.   Over time, (based on your previous/expected buying habits) this can amount to a substantial cost increase as well.

Stop paying and you're 'out'. So when cost increases come around, your responses are more limited than before, since when 'you're out' you no longer can use the software.

I think of my software as a tool. I wouldn't think of leasing a screw-driver if I have the option to buy one.

(Yes I know there's a subtle difference between a perpetual software license and outright purchase, but for purposes of argument it amounts to the same thing).

> I suspect that this change in direction will curb a lot of that abuse.

I don't think this about curbing piracy at all. Pirates are going to pirate the 'pirate-able' parts anyway. I think that most pirates aren't going to rush out and buy a subscription.

>  I have happily used this service for about eight months now and I'm very pleased with it.

Some people might be happy to 'rent' their tools, but many aren't.  It might even be beneficial for some, but it still amounts to the removal of choice.

> I think this is a good business direction for Adobe to be taking.

Err... would that be the removing of customer choice/control part? Are you rooting for Adobe over it's customers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Essentially Adobe is saying that from here on out the Creative Suite expires when they release the next version so you need to upgrade. Then CS8 will expire when we release CS9.

Imagine if you owned CS5 and it stopped working when CS6 was released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens to access to your files, when you no longer can afford the

service?

What happens if you develop a website using Adobe software and you no

longer want to pay for the service? If you used proprietary fonts, they would no

longer be available to you. You're locked in!!

If you only use PS and LR, why would you want access to all their programs

or be forced to pay such an exorbitant subscription fee? I want a perpetual

license and be able to choose if and when I upgrade.

I'm outraged!!!

Lou

In a message dated 5/27/2013 3:42:31 A.M. Central Daylight Time,

forums_noreply@adobe.com writes:

Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious?

created by eNetwizard (http://forums.adobe.com/people/eNetwizard) in

Adobe Creative Cloud - View the full discussion

(http://forums.adobe.com/message/5354740#5354740)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main gripe here is choice or lack of choice... while renting your software suits you, it doesnt for many others.

Ref affordability the question is for how long? In the UK the cost is almost 50% higher...germany 80% and in NZ it is apparantly double... if this is truly cloud software it shouldnt matter where you are in the world the price should be the same... what does this mean? It means adobe will gouge customers when it see's it can...

Remember once you stop using the cloud you cant use the software..... if you own the software you can always open your projects?

When the cloud gets hacked like EA recently and is down for a week and you cannot deliver a project to your clients will you be happy?

It sounds like you live in the US or a major country... for those in smaller nations or poorer areas where internet is not so abundant, they are now denied access to the software... when you have built a world wide society of creative peoples your responsibilty is not just to the masses but also to the disadvantaged.

Piracy is the weakest argument... head on over to pirate bay in a couple of weeks and you'll find the cloud cracked.. and remember adobe has already admitted that it kinda likes pirates... they eventually buy their software

Last year you could rent or buy the software everyone was happy...so it can be done.. the underlying reason for the cloud is to generate more income for a company that recently posted a billion dollar net profit...  there is profit and then there is acting like a monopoly..

What adobe needs to do but wont is bring back the purchase option and actually lower prices to attract more users... raising prices and hurting the free lancers and small businesses that have built your company is not a good idea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 28, 2013 May 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eNetwizard wrote:

I really don't understand why this is such a big deal to so many people.

I think by simply reading a page or two of this thread or better yet all the many others where people are having problems with the actual Creative Cloud service / features under many and various circumstances and failures, that you should quickly see and comprehend that it's not utopia as you may presently think. As time goes by statistically your own experience may very well change as well along with your praise of Adobe, time will tell, just keep paying in the meantime, regardless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2013 May 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I didn't leave my comment to debate the issues with anyone.  I simply stated my point of view in a succinct manner.  There is no argument that can be made to me that would bait me into a dialogue surrounding my comment as I'm pleased with the subscription service.  I don't see my opinion changing in the future so this isn't a topic I'll be following; I just happened to stumble across this topic from an unrelated search I performed.  The reason for this second post is to simply state that I'm not actually reading any replies you've made to me.  (I received an email notification that someone had replied and noticed a half-dozen replies directed at me; I did not take the time to read them.)

I'm only telling you this so you don't waste your time; there's a counter-argument that can be made to any argument, so it would just be an endless debate that turns into a threadnought (you're reading one right now).  If you disagree with my point of view, I suppose that's why this topic exists.  For the record, I don't have a problem with Adobe continuing to offer their software as standalone products and subscription services.  I'm just quite pleased with the latter and can't see a logical reason why I'd ever want to go with the former if the latter exists.  I was surprised to learn from this topic that Adobe intends to discontinue the former and I find that puzzling given the software (even as a subscription) is directly installed on your machine.

Now, all of that said, let's say in the future Adobe does substantively raise the costs of their service, performance degrades, or any other number of things happen that alter my present opinion: I'd simply go with the myriad of alternatives that exist.  As such, Adobe hasn't actually locked me into anything.  There are always alternatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines