• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Engaged ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yellamokara wrote:

[Jongware] wrote:

Yellamokara wrote:

The subscription model is not mandatory. You can still buy the stand alone product, the only difference is that the stand alone products will no longer be updated.

The 'only difference'. So it's comply or be left behind.

But since the petition model suporters apparently don't update their software anyway, this should not be an issue to them. So what exactly is the problem?

I, and many like me, like our software updated. However, since the progress of "new useful features" has stalled -- posing "Dark UI" as a 'new feature', FCOL --, it's no longer economically justified to upgrade every ... single ... time. So I advised my boss to skip office-wide upgrades to CS5, and CS5.5, and CS6.

Now Adobe recognized this trend, they could have made upgrades more desirable -- i.e., by adding useful, requested new features. Not by removing useful functionality (Freehand import in Illustrator; SVG export in InDesign), breaking existing functionality (Word import in InDesign), or seemingly senseless changes (breaking up required resource files up into tens of hundreds itty bitty tiny files, clogging your HD and slowing down start-up time immensely). Also not by adding actually useful functions such as a custom setting for menu and dialog font sizes (popping up more and more in the Request lists).

Nossir, the trick to make any and all client not only update -- whether they want or not -- but also pay -- whether they want those upgrades or not -- is to make their software A Service. Give the employee that came up with the idea a big bonus. You got plenty fresh cash coming in.

But if you upgrade a perpetual license the cost increases as your original version gets older anyway, so the overall cost does not change significantly unless you go for very long periods without upgrading. If you are a professional using this software you are not going to wait that long between upgrades anyway in most cases. The main difference is that with a perpetual license you pay the cost up front while CC the cost is incurred over time. An advantage with CC is that if your circumstances change you can discontinue the subscription and save some of that overall cost.

If you are using the software to make a living and a few dollars a month averaged over many years is a make or break situation for your margins, you probably need to get into a different line of work.

I use the software for personal use. For me personally the subscription model makes it economically feasible - without CC the impact of making that big upfront payment of the perpetual license was a deal breaker.

Jongware

Said it perfectly, over the years Adobe tinkered with this and that elements of what is now their mature software and whilst doing so introduced many bugs which made certain CS versions of particular software very buggy (Premiere 2, 4 & 6).

They very quickly publish "new features" but do not do the same about what they remove, they may add it back later "with improved support for XXX or YYY"

Those of you who have used bought products who now see the CC model as for you are misguided, you will be paying far more for the same product, the same goes for personal users.

In any case for the vast majority of cases CS6 and earlier versions will do 95% of the everyday tasks you could possibly ever require it to do.

Supporting the CC model is not they way to get what the majority of users want................ignore the cloud and Adobe will have to change policy as revenue plummets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also my suggestion.

................ignore the cloud and Adobe will have to change policy as revenue plummets

Ignore Cash Cow licensing (CC) and keep CS6 alive as long as you can and they let you.

(Be careful with updates - sometimes the things change in a way you might not like...)

Only a lose of income will bring Adobe back to earth - elsewise they will stay on their cloud.

There is not only one single serious argument from user sight to kill the "CashCow as option" distribution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yellamokara schrieb:

But if you upgrade a perpetual license the cost increases as your original version gets older anyway, so the overall cost does not change significantly unless you go for very long periods without upgrading. If you are a professional using this software you are not going to wait that long between upgrades anyway in most cases. The main difference is that with a perpetual license you pay the cost up front while CC the cost is incurred over time. An advantage with CC is that if your circumstances change you can discontinue the subscription and save some of that overall cost.

If you are using the software to make a living and a few dollars a month averaged over many years is a make or break situation for your margins, you probably need to get into a different line of work.

I use the software for personal use. For me personally the subscription model makes it economically feasible - without CC the impact of making that big upfront payment of the perpetual license was a deal breaker.

It´s getting cheaper? Hm?

Adobe tells all his friends on Wall Street, they even lose many customers by that change, but they will rise income...

& tell us, it´s getting cheaper?
Hm? Hm? Hm?

And, you also don´t wrote, what happens after quitting subscription: In case of perpetual license model, you have the right and ability to open your archived files without any costs. You can open & change an old catalogue (for ex.) without paying Adobe for that.
In case of CashCow (CC) licensing you have to pay for every use of your own archived creations (lifelong!). Adding these costs - NOTHING gets cheaper.
Also: There are so many professinals, who don´t need all the update features every time. Even they were very small in the last years (see post you answered to).
An Adobe VP also told: Focus is not that much on adding new features to core functions - there will be more and more cloud functionalities be added. But, most of users even don´t need or want that.
There are such a lot half-truth arguments around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yellamokara wrote:

I use the software for personal use.

Interesting.

Then what are your qualifications to offer advice to folks earning a living using Adobe software?

After 38 years as a full time professional photographer who has earned an income to support a family of five, paid for three children to attend college, two of them on to grad school ... paid off two mortgages ... one for my home, one for my studio ... I find it incredulous that "hobbyists" want to pass judgement on how working pros should address their expenditures.

Firstly ... I NEVER passed up on an upgrade to Ps (been using it since v2, 1993) because I couldn't afford it. If I passed on an upgrade, it was because the "new features" really didn't offer anything more in the way of enhancing my bottom line ... why should I reward a vendor or developer when they didn't really offer anything significant. It's called a merit system ... if your product has merit ... it will sell. If not ...

The CC licensing model removes that option ... Adobe wants to be rewarded financially even if they offer endless, meaningless "improvements" ... and you have to pay for them forever ... whether they add value to the apps or not. Do you buy a new camera or computer just because it is the new model? ... or do you buy because they bring improved capabilities? ... if they didn't offer enough new capabilities ... do you buy anyway, just for the purpose of status to have the latest and greatest?

I also find it an empty argument that the CC model is more "affordable" for those that thought the entry price for perpetual license was too high .... well, which is less expensive ... Saving up and spending $600-$700 up front ... or paying a monthly stipend for the rest of your life? Chances are, if you couldn't save up a few bucks per month to afford a perpetual license before CC ... it's quite likely you won't be able to sustain a subscription indefinitely either ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A smaller adobe is coming soon. As always, adobe has good ideas. They suck at implementation. Bad management usually accounts for that because management does not understand its customers. The usual square peg in a round hole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yellamokara wrote:

An advantage with CC is...

it is always good to see someone posting in favor of the CC (other than Adobe Staff)...but

I use the software for personal use.

...that explains why it makes sense economically for anyone...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yellamokara wrote:

But if you upgrade a perpetual license the cost increases as your original version gets older anyway, so the overall cost does not change significantly unless you go for very long periods without upgrading. If you are a professional using this software you are not going to wait that long between upgrades anyway in most cases.

I'm not sure I understand how you are still with the original version if you are upgrading the perpetual license. Can you clarify that?

The idea that professionals would not wait that long between upgrades, in most cases, is simply mistaken. One purchasing model cannot be applied to the majority of users. It just does not work that way. I'm still using CS, thats as in CS1.0. Why you might ask? Because when I built the computer that CS resides on I built it with the best hardware I could put my hands on. As a result, for what I need, in the capacity I need it, its been adequate and it still runs.

Alot of people are using very old versions, because its all they need and while they are high-end professionals I can bet you that some have different needs in their freelance setup than they do at their day job. You can't fit everyone into the same model, in fact they often fit into multiple models, thats why so many people are outraged at being forced into the cloud. Their freedom and choices are being taken away, and so is the software, if they don't stroke a check to Adobe every month.

Yellamokara wrote:

The main difference is that with a perpetual license you pay the cost up front while CC the cost is incurred over time. An advantage with CC is that if your circumstances change you can discontinue the subscription and save some of that overall cost.

If you sincerely believe that that strategy is going to do well for you, I implore you to listen to the people who have been at this for decades. Their wisdom and experience will spare you a lot of grief. The idea that Adobe is going to just sit back and allow people to subscribe, cancel, subscribe, cancel, subscribe, cancel, wash, rinse, repeat in perpetuity, without penalty, is just silly. I PREDICT, that in time, there will be a penalty to re-up. I further predict that in time they will require customers to back pay all unpaid subscription since the time they dropped. It's inevitable.

If you doubt the potential for this you need to look no further than Autodesk. Many of their maintenance programs, if allowed to lapse require a fee, plus the new maintenance, to reinstate. If you wait too long they require a fee plus a penalty(they don't call it that, but whats the difference), sometimes equal to a sum which far exceeds what you would have paid if you had kept the software on maintenance. So in the end if you don't re-up the maintenance on time, it can become painfully expensive. The thing that sucks about this is you are backpaying for phone support and software you never got to use. Further, it can be far cheaper to allow the maintenace to lapse and just buy a complete new license in 4 to 5 years. So there.

If Adobe has the audacity to follow down this path, to require users who cancel often to pay back rent, how would you enjoy paying back rent for software you never got to use?

You doubt Adobe would have the audacity to something like that? What do you call them telling me that the only way I get to use their new software is to pay forever or they'll take my toys away? How audacious is that?

Yellamokara wrote:

What gives anyone the right to tell any artist, who justifiably wants to OWN their software licenses, that they should find a different line of work because they don't want their business model to be forced to change in order to adapt to a corporate decision which is so patently disturbing.

To be clear, I have no objection if someone wants to opt to SAAS. But people who don't want to do that should not be forced to that or put in a situation where the software they depend upon is taken away because they can't afford the monthly payments, especially ten years later after they have invested enough for several perpetual licenses. What about 20 years later, they've spent $12,000 and wont be able to use the software after next month if they quit paying?

You see, when you think about this problem 20 years out ( I have to, I've been in this industry since the 80s) you start to see that Adobe's decision here reveals that are really escalating what they perceive as the monetary value of their software to be much higher, astronomically higher, than today.   Sure it only cost you $50 dollars a month. You are hypothetically 20 now. Do you really want to pay Adobe $24,000 by the time you turn 60, assuming the price stays the same for 40 years? Retirement gets here quicker than you think.

Before anyone argues, "well you can just use CS6 forever then", this is only possible if you are able to keep your hardware running forever. I can't load CS on any machine after a specific Windows upgrade. End of story. What I have runs because the machine still runs. When the machine dies, CS is toast.

Adobe knows they are strictly imposing obsolescence for anyone who goes that route. It may take a year, 2 years, 5 years, whatever...but eventually all perpetual licenses will fail to run. Either the hardware dies or the OS changes. What happens in 10 years when the motherboard fails and Cloud wont read CS6 files anymore? What is that business owner going to do? All their files and assets will just be sitting there on backup discs or HD, but nothing to read it? So yes, everyone will eventually be forced to the Cloud if they want to use Adobe software. There will be no walking CS files to CS2, CS2 files to CS3, CS4 files to CS6 to resurrect a client's old file. All the old CC software will be gone, because it will be constantly updated. No legacy paths will exist or can be created. Its the Adobe vision, constant change which the customer will have little control over.

There is also the issue, what about everyone who has never owned Adobe software after they quit selling CS6. What are they going to do, what will be their choice? For them it will be rent if they want to use Adobe. That will be their only choice. Adobe will have forced that hand on them.

Yellamokara wrote:

For some people it will. Easy to get into, potentially easy to get out of. A lot of inexperienced artists or hobbyists are going to try it. Are trying it. It makes sense for them. But what happens when they stop re-upping the monthly payment. The newness wears off, they find its not what they thought it was, they find they like accounting more than color theory, pig farming more than histograms. They downgrade from the fulll CC to just PS, or they just exit. What happens when this rush slows to a crawl?

What will happen is that the professionals who want perpetual licenses will leave Adobe, people for who the Cloud fit well will settle in, and in huge chunks the newbies embrace Cloud. What happens when a sizable chunk of these folks "trying it out" move on to other things? Where is Adobe going to make up the shortfall? What happens if this dream of turning Adobe into the first most popular graphics SAAS provider fails? The first and most logical solution will be to impose back rent.

You see, Adobe has bit off more than they can chew. Why do I say that? For this gamble to work, for it to ultimately have been truly successful, to successfully transform the way everyone gets their software and enjoy this radical transformation, they would have had to make every customer happy and keep competition at bay. But they didn't, they did just the opposite.

First they pissed off their most loyal customer base. In spades. Second The CGI development world is like a pool of sharks. Theres an odor of something in the water right now that Adobe's competitors are racing to exploit. So Adobe successfully sets up a chain reaction where its most loyal professional customers are running away, it competition is energized for the first time in decades that it might have a chance to once again compete with the giant, the angry customers are being magnetically drawn to this competition, and filling the vacuum that remains is a large share of the user base that finds the Cloud very appealing, and many of these people openly admit that the cost of the old perpetual licensing model was out of their reach.

Why was it out of reach? Why would they see it as too expensive? If most of them are going to be long term loyal graphics proffessional customers why were they unable to save up the money to afford the tools that all the previously loyal customers purchased? I'm not making an accusation or stereotyping anyone, but i am asking a gravely serious marketing question that Adobe should have asked itself.

Why would they push to market to a customer segment who have openly admitted here that commitment to the software is unimportant? That subscribe, cancel, subscribe, cancel, subcribe, cancel sounds like fun!? Seriously? This is the target market Adobe has discovered they are embracing and they openly admit they are not turning back?

Again to be clear, I have no objection if any artist wants to go Cloud. I think for some people it will be a Godsend. But I don't think its going to be the panacea that most think it will be and I don't want it. Worst, I think that Adobe is embracing accounting and noteriety over some of it's customers wishes. Accounting numbers matter, indeed they do, but when numbers matter more than loyal customers? Your customers are the numbers!

But then you seriously have to ask the question why would they turn their back on so many customers? So I ask anyone about to jump to the Cloud, is that what you want from your SAAS service provider? If they can, and are happy to do this to the people willing to pay up front, what are they going to demand of you?

Joey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JoeyP41 wrote:

The idea that professionals would not wait that long between upgrades, in most cases, is simply mistaken. One purchasing model cannot be applied to the majority of users. It just does not work that way. I'm still using CS, thats as in CS1.0. Why you might ask? Because when I built the computer that CS resides on I built it with the best hardware I could put my hands on. As a result, for what I need, in the capacity I need it, its been adequate and it still runs.

Alot of people are using very old versions, because its all they need and while they are high-end professionals I can bet you that some have different needs in their freelance setup than they do at their day job. You can't fit everyone into the same model, in fact they often fit into multiple models, thats why so many people are outraged at being forced into the cloud. Their freedom and choices are being taken away, and so is the software, if they don't stroke a check to Adobe every month.

The vast majority of people who use these tools to earn a living are going to be using reasonably current software and reasonably current hardware, for the simple reason that time is money and a small investment in tools saves much more through more efficient use of that time.

If you are still using CS1, then Adobe moving to a cloud based model will have no impact on you what so ever, because you are not upgrading anyway and are way behind the current version. You do NOT represent a valued customer to Adobe, because you have NOT been supporting development of the product though timely upgrades. Why should Adobe center their business model around you rather than the majority of reliable customers who are going to see an overall cost decrease as a result of the move to CC?

And in any case if your requirements are so primitive that you are still using CS1 then you are probably better served by low priced consumer software. You are not a market for Adobe.

If people are using this software for business purposes then we are talking about a positive/negative difference in cost (depending on what your upgrade shedule is like) amounting to a couple of dollars a month averaged over time. It is absurd to suggest that such a small difference is going to impact adversely on the future of a business. You probably spend considerably more a week on coffee than the sum total of that averaged difference.

An advantage of the pricing structure of the cloud is that you can buy access to the software on a monthly basis as well, which makes it financially very attractive to a production house where the need for the software varies significantly over time. You could for example maintain annual subscriptions on a basic set of computers, and temporarily expand that to many more when the needs of a project demand it, then scale back to the basic number once the project is done. That creates tremendous flexibility in managing your cost structure. Likewise if your circumstances change and you no longer need access to the software, you can just cancel with the result that your overall expenditure would be a fraction of what you would have paid if you bought a perpetual licence (they dont give you a refund on a perpetual license if you decide you no longer need the software)

A major factor many of you are overlooking as that the pricing structure of CC makes the software MORE accessible to a wider customer base since it eliminates the upfront investment that might otherwise be too much (this was true in my case, for example).

In summary, CC creates flexibility for Adobes loyal customers, and it makes the products more accessible to a wider range of potential customers.

Maintaining both the subscription model and the perpetual license model will increase the support and development overhead Adobe would have to deploy, since each of those models would have to be dealt with separately. This is costly, represents duplicated efforts and is not efficient for Adobe.

One further advantage is that the subscription model will be effective in combating piracy. Not the sort of piracy where the software is hacked to circumvent its protection, but the piracy where someone buys the software then installs it on their computer, their brothers computer, their brother's girlfriend's computer, their brother's girlfirend's hairdresser's computer and 30 other random people. Buying one license and installing it on every computer in the company (wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more, say no more). CC will put a stop to all that, and that is the REAL reason for the outcry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yellamokara wrote:

Buying one license and installing it on every computer in the company (wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more, say no more). CC will put a stop to all that, and that is the REAL reason for the outcry.

What a horrible arrogant attitude to have. You come in here, like a knight on a shining horse, defending the honor of Adobe and you make yourself look like a fool.

You haven't even read the thread. You're probably a shill, anyways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yellamokara wrote:

The vast majority of people who use these tools to earn a living are going to be using reasonably current software and reasonably current hardware, for the simple reason that time is money and a small investment in tools saves much more through more efficient use of that time.

If you are still using CS1, then Adobe moving to a cloud based model will have no impact on you what so ever, because you are not upgrading anyway and are way behind the current version. You do NOT represent a valued customer to Adobe, because you have NOT been supporting development of the product though timely upgrades. Why should Adobe center their business model around you rather than the majority of reliable customers who are going to see an overall cost decrease as a result of the move to CC?

And in any case if your requirements are so primitive that you are still using CS1 then you are probably better served by low priced consumer software. You are not a market for Adobe.

If people are using this software for business purposes then we are talking about a positive/negative difference in cost (depending on what your upgrade shedule is like) amounting to a couple of dollars a month averaged over time. It is absurd to suggest that such a small difference is going to impact adversely on the future of a business. You probably spend considerably more a week on coffee than the sum total of that averaged difference.

An advantage of the pricing structure of the cloud is that you can buy access to the software on a monthly basis as well, which makes it financially very attractive to a production house where the need for the software varies significantly over time. You could for example maintain annual subscriptions on a basic set of computers, and temporarily expand that to many more when the needs of a project demand it, then scale back to the basic number once the project is done. That creates tremendous flexibility in managing your cost structure. Likewise if your circumstances change and you no longer need access to the software, you can just cancel with the result that your overall expenditure would be a fraction of what you would have paid if you bought a perpetual licence (they dont give you a refund on a perpetual license if you decide you no longer need the software)

A major factor many of you are overlooking as that the pricing structure of CC makes the software MORE accessible to a wider customer base since it eliminates the upfront investment that might otherwise be too much (this was true in my case, for example).

In summary, CC creates flexibility for Adobes loyal customers, and it makes the products more accessible to a wider range of potential customers.

Maintaining both the subscription model and the perpetual license model will increase the support and development overhead Adobe would have to deploy, since each of those models would have to be dealt with separately. This is costly, represents duplicated efforts and is not efficient for Adobe.

One further advantage is that the subscription model will be effective in combating piracy. Not the sort of piracy where the software is hacked to circumvent its protection, but the piracy where someone buys the software then installs it on their computer, their brothers computer, their brother's girlfriend's computer, their brother's girlfirend's hairdresser's computer and 30 other random people. Buying one license and installing it on every computer in the company (wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more, say no more). CC will put a stop to all that, and that is the REAL reason for the outcry.

Who says I'm not using current software? I have two licenses of CS6 at work, I further have licenses of CS3 and CS4 on older machines, and CS, Production Suite and CS2 at a different location. I'm just one customer. In each setting I have different needs. So how does anyone extrapolate from the fact that I only mentioned i use CS that I am an uncommitted customer? I made it clear that some people have multiple models which they work from.

Its not my job to subsidize Adobe. Its my job to determine my needs and buy the software I need to do a specific task as relates to that setting. If Adobe makes good software and sells it in a manner which I can tolerate, then they have a customer. Instead, I'll not be upgrading the older seats now and I'll not be upgrading any of them if I have to go to the Cloud to upgrade. End of story. I'm just one customer, look how much impact I could have if Adobe made me happy.

No impact on me? Thats hilarious. Adobe has an impact on me all the time, half of its good and half of it isnt.

Its perfectly clear that Adobe does not value me or anyone who opposes Cloud.

In fact you got it completely backwards, my requirements are the complete opposite of primitive. And Adobe is doing very little to address the requirements of the industry which I am in, especially as it relates to Photoshop. The industry I am in by the way is CGI. Why would I want agree to this outrageous scheme when Adobe isn't even taking a proactive role in my industry?

I'm not overlooking the fact that newer customers will find CC appealing. I was perfectly clear about that.

The idea that maintaining Suite and Cloud simultaneously is bogus. There only needs to be one development software. License it month to month for those who want it month to month license it perpetual to those who want it perpetual. Its that simple. This argument by Adobe is so incredibly insulting as to be ridiculous. They are using it as an excuse to sway people who don't understand that Adobe chooses NOT to develop it in a way to make it cost effective for development.

There is no flexibility now. There is only Cloud.

I don't want a refund on the perpetual license. I get to keep the license. I want to keep the license. Thats the whole point.

Cloud will be no more effective in battling piracy than any other method ever tried. Once the hackers figure out how to fool CC phone home, its toast.

Are you saying multiple instalsl of the same copy don't require activation? This might have been the case 15-20 years ago, but today? Seriously? You think the outcry is because people are buying one copy of Suite and putting it on 30 computers? Every license I have is legal, installed on no more than two computers per each serial. If I were illegally copying installs, I surely wouldn't be using CS.

I have no interest in denying anyone Cloud if that is what they want. If it really appeals to you and opens door for you then that is terrific. But I don't want this. Its wrong on so many levels. Adobe has every right to do this. Its their company. But I've seen this kind of thing before. It rarely works. It requires too many sacrifices. The thing that is most frustrating is how Adobe went about it. They are not listening to their most loyal of customers. As a result they can't be trusted. It's clear what this is all about. And I want no part of it.

But be warned, the path this is going down is one many will eventually regret.

Joey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You offer some interesting arguments Yellamokara... you have missed quite a few though

What if you live in a Country where the cloud is not Available (be surprised how many)

What if you live in an area with poor Internet (again you would be surprised)

Adobe's pricing disparity is very concerning..UK pays 50% more than the US... you cant say its local operating costs because this cloud software and can be delivered to anywhere over the net..

What if you cannot use cloud software for legal reasons..ie clients cannot have work stored or going thru foreign networks

Imagine this scenario. I am doing a documentary about a sensitive issue in india. (filming and editing in India) The indian Govt tells adobe they want to look at my files in the cloud.  Will adobe say no? The PRSIM issue really comes to mind here

Running Cloud software that constantly needs validating and updating is actually more expensive than owned software...and when it is hacked or mal functions as it already has, users will be left without an operating business.. In a normal situation if my workstation or network goes down I have control and can fix it or move machines... when the cloud breaks I have no control. EA was recently down for a week..very annoying for gamers.. a disaster for a business

Your piracy argument is weak.. I ran CS6 on two machines...One died purchased a new one and the software was blocked because I didnt uninstall it from the dead machine... A call to Adobe fixed it... but the point is Adobe was aware of how many machines it was on... rather than debate this best to wait a month and see what Pirate bay has to say.

Adobe has managed to make a $1 billion net profit with owned software.. The crux here is they think they can make a hell of a lot more by renting software ..I am not apposed to people renting their software. If that model works for them wonderful.  I for various reasons need to own. Like many I am a small business that has no need of the cloud... I am the cameraman editor and yes even web designer. Adobe is in the financial position it is today because of the many small business who purchased it software over the years...we saw adobe as a community of creatives.. not a corporate powerhouse... a company that communicated with its user base and not just dictated how we should operate our business

What I see in the cloud is a reversal of motivation... Adobe use to be in the position that it kept having to produce new and exciting features to keep us buying.... Now the motivation is...unsubscribe from the cloud and good look with those projects...very bad position to be in... all we want is choice.... like last year...the choice to own or rent?

I must ask do you work for Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's clear to me that adobe has just signed its death certificate. The forced cloud move will do the following.

Increase competition.

Decrease income due to the rebellion of the current cloud model and start a cult following  of CS6.

Frustrate customers to the point of hatred for the company which in turn taints the talent pool of users and adobe employees alike.

Reduce the user base not only from the monthly costs, but will also cripple its ability to have new young users grow up on a industry standard software.

Actually increase pirating of their software because hackers shall see this as a bigger challenge.  Remember. With every lock there needs to be a key outside of internet access. Once that association is exposed, adobe will have to change the combination daily. The current cloud model is already filled with technical challenges. Changing the combination too frequently is problematic.

adobe is in serious trouble as evident by the senior management selling off large sums of their stock ownership. If the people that are in control of the company have little faith in their decisions, then why should the rest of the employees, let alone its customers want to continue to pay into a cartel model with one direction which is down?

All signs point to abandonment, both internally and external.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take it back.

Everyone listen to Diablo.

Now he is making sense.

Diablo, you must have been high a few posts back.

You're back on track now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>>>>

adobe is in serious trouble as evident by the senior management selling off large sums of their stock ownership. If the people that are in control of the company have little faith in their decisions, then why should the rest of the employees, let alone its customers want to continue to pay into a cartel model with one direction which is down?

>>>>>>>

There is a tournado hiding in this Cloud which could destroy everything in its path.

At the moment, its sources are hidden in a corner office where senior corporate officers pursue their own megalomaniacal dreams regardless of the consequences; are hell-bent on mergers, acquisitions and expansionist plant-building which have no relationship to the company's traditional central business; and are totally deaf to any dissent.

New hands are urgently needed on the steering wheel before an inevitable and fatal crash destroys everything that has been so painstakingly built over the past quarter century.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maintaining both the subscription model and the perpetual license model will increase the support and development overhead Adobe would have to deploy, since each of those models would have to be dealt with separately.

There is no reason why Adobe can maintain both a perpetual model and a subscription model with the same CC product. Ceasing a subscription doesn't remove the desktop software from your computer, it just deactivates it. It is not a big step for Adobe to allow a buyout option which stops the deactivation. The rest of the services on the cloud are exactly that; services. And those services would cease at the end of a subscription. Apple & Microsoft manage this with their cloud offerings without any problem.

You can't buy one copy of creative suite (eg v2, 3, 4, 5 or 6) and use it simultaneously on multiple computers. The version you use has to be activated online and can only activate if the other installed versions are deactivated. There is no difference between CC and CS in this regard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yellomokara Wrote

Likewise if your circumstances change and you no longer need access to the software, you can just cancel with the result that your overall expenditure would be a fraction of what you would have paid if you bought a perpetual licence (they dont give you a refund on a perpetual license if you decide you no longer need the software)

With a perpetual licence you don't get a refund but you do get a licence that can be legally transferred/sold, for good money on ebay etc.  That's a big problem with CC for me, Adobe are taking your money but you are not getting a tangible product in return. If Adobe provided this after a set period of time, thus providing a parachute location where files created in CC can be safely exported if you cancel your subscription.  CC would be a much more attractive option for me.   As it is as someone who was about to purchase Photoshop CS6 when CC was announced,  I am faced with the prospect of purchasing CS6 before subscribing to CC to safe guard my files.  Not an attractive proposition and definitely not a money saver.  You are probably thinking that you will stick for CC for life, so purchasing CS6 is not necessary.  But what happens if a better alternative becomes available in the future, nothings for ever.

To: bitm07 <andrewjohnray@btinternet.com>

Sent: Thursday, 13 June 2013, 6:23

Subject: No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Re: No perpetual licenses are you serious? created by Yellamokara in Adobe Creative Cloud - View the full discussion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yellamokara wrote:

Really? Perhaps you should do a little more research. Your ignorance of the situation is only surpassed by your arrogance that you really think you understand what is going on.

Since the introduction of Creative Suite 6 in 2012 ... Adobe sold 4.1 million Suite installs ... and 1.5 million individual point product installs ... but only sold 500,000 CC subscriptions over the same time period ... Adobe only expects to have 1.25 million CC subscribers by the end of Q42013 ... they don't expect to surpass the 3 million mark until late in 2015 ... if CC is so freaking wonderful ... why is it going to take two to three years to match their sales of Creative Suite 6 in one year? ... Especially considering it is the only game in town to move forward with Adobe products. These are Adobe's very own numbers offered at the MAX announcement ... BEFORE ... the "outcry" ... it would seem they may have underestimated the overall acceptance of CC once it became a forced issue.

Sure it costs more for Adobe to support both licensing models ... but based upon Adobe's own projections ... if CC is such a great deal, why is it that the folks signing up are in the extreme minority of users?

And ... Piracy is the reason for the "outcry" ... Please ... pirates don't care one bit when developers change licensing policies ... they just go to work seeking a new method to circumvent the activation ... it's the folks who have been paying their way that are upset ... not the freeloaders ... after all, pirates have nothing invested ... why would they bother to complain?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Butch_M wrote:

Yellamokara wrote:

Really? Perhaps you should do a little more research. Your ignorance of the situation is only surpassed by your arrogance that you really think you understand what is going on.

Since the introduction of Creative Suite 6 in 2012 ... Adobe sold 4.1 million Suite installs ... and 1.5 million individual point product installs ... but only sold 500,000 CC subscriptions over the same time period ... Adobe only expects to have 1.25 million CC subscribers by the end of Q42013 ... they don't expect to surpass the 3 million mark until late in 2015 ... if CC is so freaking wonderful ... why is it going to take two to three years to match their sales of Creative Suite 6 in one year? ... Especially considering it is the only game in town to move forward with Adobe products. These are Adobe's very own numbers offered at the MAX announcement ... BEFORE ... the "outcry" ... it would seem they may have underestimated the overall acceptance of CC once it became a forced issue.

Sure it costs more for Adobe to support both licensing models ... but based upon Adobe's own projections ... if CC is such a great deal, why is it that the folks signing up are in the extreme minority of users?

And ... Piracy is the reason for the "outcry" ... Please ... pirates don't care one bit when developers change licensing policies ... they just go to work seeking a new method to circumvent the activation ... it's the folks who have been paying their way that are upset ... not the freeloaders ... after all, pirates have nothing invested ... why would they bother to complain?

The answer to that is obvious: CS6 was introduced before CC, so it would sell more copies. You also need to understand that some people are used to the up front model, so that is what they do. As people become more comfortable with the advantages of CC, especially when it comes to cost efficiency, adoption will increase.

Also, having made that big upfront payment, those with the perpetual license will be loath to move over to CC until they have "recovered" the cost through use, because it would mean paying twice for the same thing. That effect will slow subscription adoption in the near term, but it does not invalidate the soundness of the model.

The cost to Adobe for supporting both models stems from the need to do maintenance updates on older packages. Depending on how far back they go, they have to do this individually for every version they have published, which leads to a great deal of duplication of effort and significantly increases overhead. With CC this problem goes away since only the current version is supported (since that is the one everyone has). This will have a big impact on Adobe's overhead costs, making them more competitive, benefits of which will ultimately will flow through to users. The development efficiency will make it very difficult for another company with a perpetual licences model to compete effectively with them at the same price point, and that is allmost certainly the main motivation for Adobe to do this.

As far as piracy is concerned, obviously the folk making and distributing hacked software won't care what model is used, but that is not how most pirated software is distributed - typically is done through ignoring the license usage terms as I explained previously, and it is those people who are the ones who mostly are upset because for them the days of free Adobe software are over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cost to Adobe for supporting both models stems from the need to do maintenance updates on older packages. Depending on how far back they go, they have to do this individually for every version they have published, which leads to a great deal of duplication of effort and significantly increases overhead.

This is a false argument because the new subscription model offers absolutely no additional savings of either manpower nor time for Adobe in this regard.

There is NO difference because older versions of the software have never been supported nor upgraded in any way once the subsequent version ships.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yellamokara schrieb:

As far as piracy is concerned, obviously the folk making and distributing hacked software won't care what model is used, but that is not how most pirated software is distributed - typically is done through ignoring the license usage terms as I explained previously, and it is those people who are the ones who mostly are upset because for them the days of free Adobe software are over.

Piracy can be stoped the same way - with CS6 or with CashCow. It´s only necessary to call home, sometimes. No need for new distribution.

And: Why isn´t Adobe writing here under it´s own name? Why taking an aka? Ashamed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yellamokara wrote:

The answer to that is obvious: CS6 was introduced before CC, so it would sell more copies. You also need to understand that some people are used to the up front model, so that is what they do. As people become more comfortable with the advantages of CC, especially when it comes to cost efficiency, adoption will increase.

This is where you miss the mark by quite a bit ... of that group of CS6 Suite users, is the largest group of users that do upgrade at each and every opportunity ... yet only 12% rushed out to sign up for CC, why didn't those other 4.1 million see the overwheming advantages you tout for CC? ... and once again, using Adobe's very own numbers ... they only expect to have about 30% by the end of the year ... That's a 70% drop in sales over last year ...  and still only garner 73% of their annual sales (for 2012-13 cycle) after two years. You should ask why? Then reconsider your appraisal again ...

Yellamokara wrote:

The cost to Adobe for supporting both models stems from the need to do maintenance updates on older packages. Depending on how far back they go, they have to do this individually for every version they have published, which leads to a great deal of duplication of effort and significantly increases overhead. With CC this problem goes away since only the current version is supported (since that is the one everyone has). This will have a big impact on Adobe's overhead costs, making them more competitive, benefits of which will ultimately will flow through to users. The development efficiency will make it very difficult for another company with a perpetual licences model to compete effectively with them at the same price point, and that is allmost certainly the main motivation for Adobe to do this.

Well ... boo hoo for Adobe ...

Seriously though ... did you think I didn't comprehend your point the first time you offered it? You can repeat it 44 times ... it won't fix the flaws in your thinking. I even conceded that it would indeed cost more for Adobe to support both licensing models. However ... All businesses have their issues in serving their customers ... if you had ever been tasked with leading a business and meeting a payroll, you might have a better understanding that commerce is a virtual partnership ... businesses can't survive without customers or vice versa ... needlessly removing choice from your long term customer base is not an equitable solution if you wish to retain that customer base. Considering their own projected loss of income for the next two years, was it really a wise decision to stop supporting perpetual licenses now? Adobe created their own overhead ... it was not forced upon them by a market shift that was out of their control.

Adobe did not offer or adopt the CC model out of desperation ... they did it by choice and the dropped perpetual licenses without warning. Resulting in doing exactly what was easiest and more cost effective for them ... and not what may be in the best interest of a significant portion of their customers. Resulting the risk of losing those customers and potential future sales.

Yellamokara wrote:

And once again ... this is where you ignorance is quite evident. If you would have ever had the self discipline to have saved up your money to purchase a perpetual license ... you would know that for many years, you have to "activate" most Adobe perpetual apps ... up to two total activations ... so it isn't possible to install a copy on "your brother's girlfirend's hairdresser's computer" without hacking the application ... simply ignoring the license usage terms won't get you very far ... much like your expertise on tthe whole issue at hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a well established workflow, you risk breaking it with certain upgrades. Adobe is notorious for changing/removing functionality without asking anybody. If you have a good workflow, jumping after every pointless upgrade might actually cost you more time. Upgrades might also hurt your other investments related to the software. I'm still using CS4 on one machine, because my expensive AE Trapocode plugin pack doesn't work on 64bit software.

You can make that same ridiculous argument for just about anything. I could easily afford paying 10 $ for a cup of coffee. It doesn't mean I should do that. I could easily pay 100 $/month for software and spend less on something else. Doesn't mean I will ever do that.

An advantage of the pricing structure of the cloud is that you can buy access to the software on a monthly basis as well, which makes it financially very attractive to a production house where the need for the software varies significantly over time.

I give you this point. If you are running a large house with tens of employees, each of which are skilled in Adobe software, but usually do something else in their workday, it might actually make sense. But how many operations like this do you think there is? In a normal work environment people are focused on their small subset of skills and it's not like everyone will be able to do professional Photoshop work when there is some huge project. Do you think many companies will say: "We have a big project now, let's rent 20 x more Dreamweaver so that even the video editors and marketing people can code with it". Seriously, I don't see this happening much.

Only if the customers are stupid enough not to calculate the yearly/long term costs. it would still be much cheaper to fund a perpetual license with a loan or a credit card. Especially if you used Production premium or Design premium. Or ESPECIALLY if you did not think every upgrade had enough merit to be worth buying it and decided to skip some versions. So this is only true if the customers are idiots who cant't do even the most basic math.

Funny, why is it exactly the loyal customers that are complaining if there is all this great flexibility? Do you think they don't understand what is being offered here? The ugly truth is that Adobe wants to take away the most important flexibility  customers can have: the ability to vote with their wallet and decide for themselves if the upgrade is worth the money.

As was already pointed out, this is just not true. The software stays on the computer and Adobe could easily let it stay functional for a fee if they wanted to.

Sorry to end like this, but the above statement really shows you have no idea about how Adobe software actually works. That really takes out your credibility on the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yellamokara wrote:

It's not a question of should Adobe center their business model around subscribers, but instead why would they want to cut out all of the irregular purchasing customers. It shouldn't be a significant amount of extra work to maintain the perpatual license. If even half of the 30,000 customer who signed the petition never move to the cloud (some perhaps have multiple license), Well that would be no less than 1.5 million dollars every few years. That should be plenty for the extra development work. I'm rounding down as much as I think is possible.

Take my history with Adobe. I first purchased Photoshop 4.0 in school just because I was curious to learn how it worked. Later I also purchased Macromedia Dreamweaver. I upgraded sporadically over the next few (commercial) versions, and after Adobe bought Macromedia I moved to CS2 Web Edition. I moved to the Master collection with CS4 and have kept current since.

If Adobe had offered only the Cloud subscription service at the current prices I never would have stuck with it and continued to improve my skills. Until I started makeing money with the software I couldn't have justified the continued expense (hence the reason I skipped some versions while continuing to learn on the older software).

My guess is that Adobe is scared that they won't have enough improvements over the next few years to convince people to upgrade and their income will plummet worse than they are predicting for this subscription shift. They will definitely be lacking my support because I think the move is borderline evil and I'll find a competitor before joining a subscription model for software I depend on and build an archive upon.

The decision reminds me of a local on-hold-messaging company in my city who used to sell a custom on-hold recording for about $400. Recurring business slowed down so they started charging a yearly $100 fee to continue using a recording. They didn't lower their initial purchase price and the yearly fee didn't provide for minor updates. It was basically a money grab.

Since we don't need seasonal messages our costs would have doubled for the same product. A product that competition was still offering for $500 (one time fee). While I'm happy to pay someone for their time, I draw the line at paying indefinitely for something that took 3-4 hours to create. That's a borderline abuse of the copyright laws in my opinion.

The next time I wanted to update our on-hold messaging I went to a company that didn't charge a yearly rental fee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lets clear away the crap about the cloud.

Look at it this way. Adobe makes software and sells users a licence. Nothing has changed between CC and CS except for how you pay for the licence. Both models download software and you install it on your own personal hard drive. So in essence, the software is free, but the licence costs in both models. The way in which the licence is managed has changed and that is pretty much it besides the cloud fluff features that I personally find useless because 95% of my work is under NDA.  And if Adobe forces me to hold all my work in their cloud, they will die a sudden death in the US court system - especially from my fortune 500 clients.

If you disable the phone home feature, you now have a perpetual version of CC. There is nothing different between CC and CS in that regard as well. SO - why in the hell would Adobe corporate think they can build a better mouse trap and lock up their software - in effect, pissing off a lot of loyal customers?  This to me is just ignorance about how to licence intellectual property. I fully question Adobe's ability to make money and understand its market at this point.

Realistically, Adobe should be restructuring their perpetual fees to corporations and stop gouging individual users. Corporations are able and liable to pay for software to perform business relations via Adobe products. They have deep pockets and as far as I see it, would not even flinch to pay 10 or even 25 grand for a site perpetual licence. This corporate restructure would apply to big conglomerates, educational institutions as well as military branches for official usage.

The problem with the cloud model really hits small businesses as well as individuals and really stings the way in which Adobe feels it needs to strong arm this group of users. Unfortunately, this sector of users is what feeds future sales for Adobe as well as educate single use users that will eventually become small businesses and corporate users. By leveling the field costs on all users for the most part is cutting off the seeds to bigger and more important users in the future.

WTF is Adobe thinking?  Clearly there is a cloud in the way...  My vote is for regime change because the leaders at Adobe are clearly lacking vision for their own future.

Note:  Symantec just laid off 1000 workers in Silicon Valley. Guess who's going to cut another limb off next?

There is a big difference between those who are in control and those who have leadership skills. 

Adobe has neither.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yellamokara wrote:

Yep ... CC put a stop to that ... but I'm not sure it lasted 24 hours ... while I don't condone what has reportedly been accomplished in a few hours ... I told you the CC model would not curtail such efforts ...

http://petapixel.com/2013/06/19/adobe-photoshop-cc-has-apparently-been-cracked-one-day-after-launch/

http://fstoppers.com/adobe-photoshop-cc-has-already-been-pirated-in-just-one-day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines