• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Encore is being retired?  Why?  No more DVDs?  This is getting more ridiculous every day.  Soon, and very soon, I will be abandoning Adobe for other products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Wykes wrote:

Encore is being retired?  Why?  No more DVDs?  This is getting more ridiculous every day.  Soon, and very soon, I will be abandoning Adobe for other products.

It's as if they think all non-cinema content goes straight to Youtube or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jbjones wrote:

Another way of looking at it.

If your Blu-ray or DVD player breaks, most people wouldn't consider that you lost access to all your movies. Viewing those movies might be a lot more difficult if you have to convince a friend to have movie night at his house, but technically you still have "access" to your movies.

Unlike playing your DVD or Blu-ray in someone else's player ... if you used an install of CC licensed by another user (even on their computer) ... you would be violating that user's EULA (you likely should read that document before you boast your opinion further) ... not quite the same animal ... though it appears you will tout your opinion until your face turns the shade that matches a Blu-ray disc ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Wykes wrote:

Another decision from Adobe thinking it's "best" for everyone.

Is the Encore CS6 version the final release of this product?

"Yes. The trend in the video and broadcast industry is moving away

from physical media distribution. The future is in cloud and streaming

content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jbjones wrote:

jbjones wrote:

Andy Bay wrote:

Jbjones, if I can't open my project files anymore, then I have lost access to them. Doesn't matter anything if the ones and zeroes are on my hard disk or not, since I'm not able to do anything with them. If I have no way of opening my files, then I have lost access to my work. That's why I think your point is not really that relevant and IMHO falls in the realm of nitpicking.

If you really lost access to your files you wouldn't be able to send them to someone else who does subscribe and have them view or do work on them or borrow a computer with CS or CC and do the work yourself.

So I disagree with your limited definition of "access".

You lose access to the software, but not your files.

If your Blu-ray or DVD player breaks, most people wouldn't consider that you lost access to all your movies. Viewing those movies might be a lot more difficult if you have to convince a friend to have movie night at his house, but technically you still have "access" to your movies.

jb, you've lost practical access to your files. For brevity's sake, you've lost your files. And this is the biggest reason for calling Adobe's move unethical and antitrust-suit-worthy, as the whole point of using the software is just for that future editability with no quality penalty. Some of Adobe's "apps" have no realistic way to save to non-proprietary formats and keep that benefit. Photoshop is probably the closest thing to being able to save your work to non-proprietary formats and not "lose" your files, but even then your layers are toast. Some of Corel's software can open and understand some of them according to their site, but if I remember correctly it cannot understand masks.

And it would appear that sending your files to your friend or using their CC infected computer to access and tweak your files you would be in trouble with Adobe's licensing.

That all said, I really hope Adobe isn't seriously concerned over pirating of their software. They have just given not only the pirate crackers a gift in that they have the joy of cracking something that so many are genuinly interested in, but also flooded that pool of interested people with those who were previously, more or less, happily paying customers. Personally, I really want to get all things Adobe off my computer. I feel sickened by firing up Photoshop and do not plan on downloading cracked copies. I believe a lot of others will just say "Screw Adobe --- unethical bastards", as they install the "apps" from "third party affiliates". I have a hard time blaming them if they do. Adobe pulled down their drawers and waived their fat behind in everyone's face and act as if they've done nothing while showing utter and unadulterated greed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Butch_M wrote:

jbjones wrote:

Unlike playing your DVD or Blu-ray in someone else's player ... if you used an install of CC licensed by another user (even on their computer) ... you would be violating that user's EULA (you likely should read that document before you boast your opinion further) ... not quite the same animal ... though it appears you will tout your opinion until your face turns the shade that matches a Blu-ray disc ...

Funny.  But wrong.

1. You falsely assume that I don't take adequatly spaced breaths when touting an opinion. 🙂

2. Maybe you aren't great with legalise, I don't know, but the EULA doesn't have anything (that would hold up in court) about preventing another person from temporarily using your computer and the Creative Cloud software installed on it.

I agree it is vague so I can see how you might have miss read it. I assume you are refering particularly to 2.2.3(d) "Customer may not enable or allow others to use the Software as Customer"

The last two words are they key here. "As Customer" implies the full privaledges of being the "Customer" (defined in 1.5) which mainly revolves around the ownership of the license. In other words they don't let you install the Software (with two installation licenses) on your computer and on a friends computer. As currently worded, Adobe would not have a problem (or legal leg to stand on) with a friend using the computer, as a "guest" (or friend), and not as the "Customer".

Had 2.2.3(d) stopped at the word "Software", you would have a point. One thing it would do is prevent studios from renting out their edit bays to non-employees. And Adobe would likely be suceptible to additional "anti-x" lawsuits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is a SCUM-BAG company. Very simple. They tried installing some Creative Cloud nonesense on my computer acting like it was a CS6 update. When I saw Creative Cloud flash on my screen I found it and uninstalled it. Adobe is a Scum-BAG company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

urdaddi wrote:

"We no longer offer trials of the CS6 versions of the applications. Trials of the latest, most recent versions are available through Creative Cloud." from the Creative 6 FAQ page : http://www.adobe.com/products/cs6/faq.html

Now today the page is back contrary to Adobe's FAQ page. Adobe does not seem to know if they are coming or going with anything they are doing or offering.

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/cs6-product-downloads.html

As a side note, this staff member admitted Adobe's burying tactics, regarding the "choice" of CS6.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5425608

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, there is no doubt Adboe is going. Going down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

W_J_T and others looking for Creative Suite 6 or previous versions please see http://forums.adobe.com/message/5418120#5418120 for information on how to download CS6 as well as other Adobe software titles.  Creative Suite 6 specific downloads can be found at CS6 product downloads - http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/cs6-product-downloads.html.

Also for Creative Cloud subscribers the process of installing Creative Suite 6 can be found at Download previous versions of Adobe Creative applications - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/download-previous-versions-creative-applications.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff, but as already discussed, the access to the links/files were removed, and yes now it's back. In addition it does not even correlate to Adobe's own FAQ page, which say they are no longer available. Obviously Adobe changed it's mind yet again on what it wanted to do/offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe - can we ever trust any statement made by this company - from what they've posted online over the last few months it appears not. It obviously works both ways - the way forward might as well be a trip into fairyland as far as credibility and trust is concerned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regime change is the only option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff A Wright wrote:

W_J_T and others looking for Creative Suite 6 or previous versions please see http://forums.adobe.com/message/5418120#5418120 for information on how to download CS6 as well as other Adobe software titles.  Creative Suite 6 specific downloads can be found at CS6 product downloads - http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/cs6-product-download s.html.

Also for Creative Cloud subscribers the process of installing Creative Suite 6 can be found at Download previous versions of Adobe Creative applications - http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/download-previous-versions-cr eative-applications.html

These are (CS6) downloads from April 2012

Does the online updater take care of updates for CS6, to bring these downloads up to current versions as of June 2013?

Will the new online updater try to install CC files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Paul the updates will still need to be downloaded and applied.  Beyond updating the security certificates for the installers they are the same installers which were made available when Creative Suite 6 was released.

You can utilize the updater feature to pull down the updates after Creative Suite 6 has been installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just go to Adboe's FTP site and download the update installers. That way you will have then in your possesion forever and not have to worry about their web site monkey business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's actually quite interesting that Adobe's net profit (and I'm using the larger adjusted number) was only 130 million dollars on the second quarter. If we multiply that by for we get only a 520 million annual net profit.

If 50 000 people absolutely hate the cloud and will not spend any more money on Adobe products, they will cost Adobe 600$ x 50 000 = 30 000 000 $ each year. Some might say "what about the cheaper introductory price?". Well notice that I also didn't adjust for the much higher non-US prices, so it should compensate that a little.

Since the profit margin on digitally delivered content is somewhere around 99.9% that 30 million lost can actually really hurt Adobe.

What if the old saying is true and only one out of six people voiced their anger or bothered to sign the petition? And many who signed the petition can actually influence several other people/licenses. What about the pissed of companies with multiple seats that still signed only once? And the schools with tens of licenses (I represent one of those)! In the best case scenario Adobe might very well loose between 200 000 - 300 000 clients! That might end up costing them 120 million - 180 million dollars annually.

The numbers might be smaller or they might be even bigger. The point it this:

Let's not think we are an insignificant group that doesn't matter to Adobe in it's great hubris. I believe we can actually have a real impact if we don't spend another dollar with Adobe until this mess get's fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a side note, this staff member admitted Adobe's burying tactics, regarding the "choice" of CS6.

Which is why the CEO's recent statement is so funny to read:

"CEO Shantanu Narayen talked up the cloud at every turn during the call with financial analysts, stating that the "overwhelming" majority of customers that bought via its website had chosen Creative Cloud rather than CS 6, the last boxed version."

What a surprise that customers have a hard time buying software that is buried deep and hidden on purpose!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget about the numbers for a minute. Look at the marketing damage this less then well thought out transition has created. The public relations nightmares have only just begun. It's sad actually. Very sad for all involved in the process. Set the bridge on fire and go stand on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy Bay wrote:

What a surprise that customers have a hard time buying software that is buried deep and hidden on purpose!

Or ...that anyone with CS4 or older that would like to upgrade to CS6 can't do so without paying full price for CS6 ... of course customers are going to choose CC if they decide to buy since there is basically no option ... It's like Henry Ford and the Model T ... "You can buy it in any color you want as long as it is black." ... Is it any wonder that statistically speaking, the most popular color of that car was ... black? ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy Bay wrote:

Which is why the CEO's recent statement is so funny to read:

"CEO Shantanu Narayen talked up the cloud at every turn during the call with financial analysts, stating that the "overwhelming" majority of customers that bought via its website had chosen Creative Cloud rather than CS 6, the last boxed version."

I thought it was interesting how they were spinning the numbers.

To me, I would compare it to a fast-food stand that used to sell hot-dogs and hamburgers. Hamburgers outsold hot-dogs 8 to 1. Then they decide to stop selling hamburgers.

When some customers buy some more of the only remaining item (hot-dogs), they tout that this confirms their decision to stop selling hamburgers was clearly justified...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well put Greg, that's a good example!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg - they are spinning the numbers with their Adobe surveys as well. If you tell them in a Survey that you are unhappy with CC and are not likely to use it. The survey immediately ends and you are told that you didn't quality for their survey. Despite the Adobe survey telling you that they want you to talk so Adobe can listen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wondered where this thread went, but then I realized there are so many issues and problems with the cloud too many cloud users where posting questions and buried this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TheCoroner9 wrote:

Greg - they are spinning the numbers with their Adobe surveys as well. If you tell them in a Survey that you are unhappy with CC and are not likely to use it. The survey immediately ends and you are told that you didn't quality for their survey. Despite the Adobe survey telling you that they want you to talk so Adobe can listen.

You don't want any pesky reality conflicting with the pre-conceived narrative being told...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines