• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] No perpetual licenses are you serious?

Explorer ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just head that Adobe was planning to abandon its perpetual license in favor of an on line only rental program. At first I thought that this must be a joke. I have been using adobe products for 18 years. Primarily Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. I am currently an owner of CS 6 Master collection and obviously do upgrade my products and have consistently done so over the years. I am not connected to the internet full time and in fact my work computer is never directly connected to the internet. So how does this work? Is adobe now forcing me to connect to the internet - it seems that this is the case.

In regards to upgrade cycles, I dont want to rent my software and be tied to a rental agreement. I want to upgrade when I choose, not rent my software like some kind of loaner program!

I want to purchase the software then not worry about it. For instance when I travel, I dont want to be bogged down with downloads and upgrades chewing up my bandwidth. I have traveled to many places where internet access is very limited. Downloading from a wireless card in China is painful, I dont want to be bogged down with no software or large megabyte downloads costing me a fortune on the other side of the planet.

Adobe I know that I am just one person and you will probably not listen to me but did someone ask? No one asked me about this. How simple could this be - I want to buy the software then use it when I want where I want, is this too much to ask?

Please let me continue to use this software in the way that I have used it for so long. If others wish to have the creative cloud then great! More power to them, don't alienate your other users. Please provide both alternatives.

Best regards - Matt

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1886 Replies 1886
Participant ,
May 24, 2013 May 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcus Koch wrote:

So here is my list of things that Adobe needs to do:

Gain trust again

1. Have the CEO and the responsible people resign. They proved to be a danger to the company, the employees, the shareholders and the customers.
  2. Apologies big and truthfully.
  3. Stick to the words and promises (about two months ago I was still told by Adobe sales rep that there will be perpetual licenses for the new versions) and bind yourself publicly to them.
  4. Offer any kind of compensation (even small) for the trouble and lost time
  5. Give their dealer base again the option to sell licenses with an incentive margin.
  6. Ensure that the customer data in the cloud is not read or scanned by Adobe for any purpose. Give customers an encryption option before the data is transferred into the cloud.
  7. Offer free knowledgeable 24/7 support for issues with cloud access.

Strive to offer what is best for Adobe’s customers

1. Offer upgrades to existing perpetual licenses that include one year of free upgrades, like with a subscription version. This is equivalent to CC where you have a perpetual license for the versions that came out during the one year upgrade plan.
  2. If customers don’t want to continue with a new version, but want to benefit from cloud features make those available for a low fee (e.g. storage, settings in the cloud, etc.)
  3. To lower the bar for new customers Adobe could offer to turn a subscription license into a perpetual incense after some years of subscription.  The monthly price for new customers could also be higher than for existing customers. Microsoft for example doesn’t offer updates to Office anymore, but the price for a new version is now about the price of previous updates. This way the entry bar for new customers is low. Yes, existing customers don’t receive a discount, but when the price is low to begin with it is not necessary.
  4. Offer sub-packages of CC that compare to the old Web, Design, or Production Suites that are less than half the price of CC.
  5. Offer an optional installation media, e.g. DVD for a small fee (e.g. $10-$20) for customers that don’t have access to the Internet or have only a low bandwidth connection. (This exists actually for enterprise customers of CC, so it could also be offered for other customers.)
  6. Have an option to download updates, so in case you have no Internet connection or the cloud is down and you need to re-install the software (crashed computer, non-starting or non-working application) you can without missing a deadline (this is software for professionals).
  7. Offer a one-time payment for the full year, including other payment options than just credit cards

I agree with almost everything you wrote, but would like to modify the 2nd #4. An option that might be even nicer, from a flexibitity stand point, and since the technology can support it, would be to lower the yearly price of a single app to maybe $15/mo and the option of adding each additional app for $5/mo.

Obviously they could never have done this with DVD distribution, but with downloads it should be easy. It is what cable and satellite companies should do as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've made some excellent points there Marcus.

Once-a-year payment is available through places like Amazon and Staples, I believe, but it's obviously not well advertised. Optional install media is a very good point - I've heard they do have some discs available for those who really can't download, but again, they're only available through customer services and not well advertised as an option.

Can you run point 1 past me again? The one about upgrades - I didn't follow that.

I'm sure you're right about only having one shot to fix this - perhaps that explains why they're taking their time to respond officially.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcus Koch can clarify about the upgrades I'm sure, but my guess is he was talking about something similar to how Intuit has a yearly service plan you can buy for Quickbooks. Any versions that are released within that year are free upgrades. Quickbooks is still sold with the option of a perpetual license so if you decided not to buy the service plan next year, you can still continue to use your last upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn fine post sir, damn fine post. That was a pleasure to read. It's nice to know there are people like Marcus Koch who can articulate these issues so well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria

My take on what Marcus is getting at is: -

You have CS6

You install the CC update and pay a one off fee

The fee to be equivalent to the upgrade cost of your CS suite or application, eg Production Premium

Now if the upgrade cost from say CS5.5 to CS6 was say $600 and the CS version update is every 18 months then the update cost from CS6 to CC would be $400

Thereafter a user could update the software annually at the same cost

For the annual upgrade cost you get a perpetual license

The problem with the CC is the disproportionate cost related to the CS upgrade costs for existing users and the lack of a perpetual license

Marcus - great argument

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria Bampton wrote:

You've made some excellent points there Marcus.

Once-a-year payment is available through places like Amazon and Staples, I believe, but it's obviously not well advertised. Optional install media is a very good point - I've heard they do have some discs available for those who really can't download, but again, they're only available through customer services and not well advertised as an option.

Can you run point 1 past me again? The one about upgrades - I didn't follow that.

I'm sure you're right about only having one shot to fix this - perhaps that explains why they're taking their time to respond officially.

Hi Victoria,

I'm sorry, but English is not my native language. jbjones and Biggles Lamb just explained it well. Yes, Adobe could have made it obviously easy instead just act greedy and arrogant.

The one year payments seem to be not only unknown to the customers, but also to the Adobe sales staff. On the CC Facebook page and on other forums you can read about customers that tried to pay the full year in one sum or/and to purchase CC without a credit card and were told there is no way. Adobe sales responded: only credit card and only monthly fees.

Marcus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Biggles Lamb wrote:

Now if the upgrade cost from say CS5.5 to CS6 was say $600 and the CS version update is every 18 months then the update cost from CS6 to CC would be $400

Thereafter a user could update the software annually at the same cost

For the annual upgrade cost you get a perpetual license

The problem with the CC is the disproportionate cost related to the CS upgrade costs for existing users and the lack of a perpetual license

The upgrade time between CS5 to CS5.5 and to CS6 were 13 resp. 12 months. The costs were about $500. I created a detailed price comparison, but I'm on the road at the moment. I can post it later.

The result is that if you compare the upgrade price for 12 month with a one year CC subscription the CC subscription is about 25% more expensive. You will get a few more products compared to CS plus cloud storage and fonts. If this is worth the higher costs has to be decided by each customer personally. The higher price is surely no incentive to upgrade if you don't use all or most of the products or have no need for the new features. Everyone with low bandwidth Internet connection for example doesn't benefit from many new features.

Existing customers are screwed the most. CC costs them between 150 to 350% more than with perpetual licenses before. (I will explain the number later)

We all know that don't have the software anymore to work on your files when you end your subscription. I just read in a magazine article that if you use the Cloud fonts for websites all websites you created with those fonts won't display anymore when you stop paying. This means I would need to pay perpetual so that the websites of my customers would display correctly. Is this the way Adobe gives us perpetual licenses back 😉 Can someone confirm this web font problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcus Koch wrote:

The one year payments seem to be not only unknown to the customers, but also to the Adobe sales staff. On the CC Facebook page and on other forums you can read about customers that tried to pay the full year in one sum or/and to purchase CC without a credit card and were told there is no way. Adobe sales responded: only credit card and only monthly fees.

Your English is excellent Marcus! I think you explained yourself more eloquently than most native speakers, including myself!

Well if some good comes of this conversation, it can be that we all now know about one-year payments!  They're called pre-paid cards, available for 3 months or 12 months, from normal retailers.  Here's an Amazon example.  You get the card, go to the website redeem page, type in the code from the card, and it simply adds 12 months onto your current expiry date.  Technically it would be possible to pay for 5 years up front to lock in the price, if you bought 5 cards!

I'll see what I can find out about those fonts for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the detailed price comparison between CS and CC that I talked about:

Myth Buster: Subscriptions to Creative Cloud are cheaper than perpetual licenses

All the price comparisons between perpetual licenses and Creative Cloud subscriptions I have found on the Adobe pages, on various blogs, on the NAPP pages, and even on CNET face two major errors. The first error is that they all compare the prices for the Creative Cloud with the mere price of a CS6 perpetual full license, but don’t take into account that a perpetual license has a value that existing customer already have paid for. The customer either has the right to use the product indefinitely or has the monetary value if he/she decides to sell it. This value of a perpetual license can’t be left out. It changes the picture completely.

The second mistake is to compare only a single product like Photoshop or the Master Suite with the Creative Cloud subscription models. Before Creative Cloud became the only option to get the current products customers were able to buy a Standard, a Design & Web, or a Production Suite. Those subsets of the Master product line were between $700 and $1300 cheaper than CS Master Collection. All those customers need to purchase Creative Cloud Standard now. I will look at those enormous costs increases later in this article.

When you compare perpetual licenses to the Creative Cloud subscription model you can think of the Creative Cloud as a perpetual license that the customer will always update to the newest version and when he/she doesn’t want to use it anymore sells it to market price. This equals the loss of the Creative Cloud software once the subscription is not renewed. To compare the costs of each sales model you need to differentiate between existing customers and new customers.

Let’s address existing customers first and take a look at the update prices for master versions of the Creative Suite in the past years.

# months   upg pice  Upgrade to version                           price / month

25              $1,400    to CS 3 Design + CS3 Production    56

18              $1,200    to CS 4 Master                                 66.67

19                 $900    to CS 5 Master                                 47.37

12                 $549    to CS 5.5 Master                              45.75

13                 $525    to CS 6 Master                                 40.38

If you divide the price by the duration of each version you can calculate a monthly price that you can compare to the monthly subscription fee of the Creative Cloud. In general you can see that the monthly price went constantly down in the last years. Starting with Creative Cloud the cost are 25% up again. Yes, you will get some more software. Many people might not need it, but they still have to pay for it.

Since Creative Cloud is not an upgrade to Creative Suite (CS), existing CS customers can receive the promo discount, but still own their old CS license. If they want to keep their old license to have a back-up in case they won’t continue their Creative Cloud subscription, their CS license will lose value with each update of Creative Cloud. So let’s estimate that a CS6 master license of today will be worth less than $500 in 5 years. (If many customers abandon Adobe it will be worth less, because the supply will be bigger). This means you have to bear an additional loss of at least $2,000 and customers pretty much lose their investment in their previous versions. Spreading this over the time of 5 years means that existing CS6 master customers actually pay about $33 more per month, resulting in a monthly price for Creative Cloud of about $85 (plus tax) and a 100% price increase comparing to a perpetual license when buying all upgrades!

The promo discount you receive as an existing CS6 master customer is only $360. Since you already pay $200 more per year compared to the previous updates you only save $160, but don’t have a perpetual license for the new CC.

So let’s look at existing customers that purchased a Standard, a Design & Web or a Production Suite. Those subsets of the Master product line were between $700 and $1300 cheaper than CS Master Collection. All what has been said about Creative Suite customers before is true, too. Additionally those customers now only have the option to subscribe to the Creative Cloud Standard. The upgrade costs from version 5.5 to version 6 have been, depending on the suite, between $275 and $375. The price for Creative Cloud Standard is $600 per year. So those customers have to pay now about twice as much compared to their perpetual licenses. This is ridiculous. Yes, they will get more software, but apparently they didn’t need it before or they would have bought a CS Master Collection already. For sure they don’t want to pay for what they don’t need.

The conclusion is that existing customers that would have upgraded to every new version are facing an increase in costs of 100% to 200%, which is two or three times as much as they paid before. (The value loss of their existing perpetual license was calculated over a span of 5 years). Especially customers that were using one of the special suites face the biggest increase of costs.

Until last year customers were further able to skip one or more upgrades without major penalties. So another problem with Creative Cloud has been that customers can’t decide not to buy an upgrade anymore. To make the Creative Cloud not look so bad Adobe changed its upgrade policy and allowed upgrades only from one full version back. This meant that existing customers were forced to upgrade or they lost their investment. Even when they skipped a mid-cycle release the price to the next full version is pretty much the same as if they would have purchased both updates immediately. So already for the last two years Adobe’s price policy reflects a constant payment system or a hefty penalty (you need to buy a new full version).

Despite the suppressed pricing policy customers were able to decide to stick with their actual version and use their investment for a longer time. With Creative Cloud this becomes worth. Customers even need an active subscription just to work with their files. They are damned to keep paying for each coming upgrade if they need it or not. Maybe they have no need for an upgrade or just can’t afford it, or don’t create new business anymore. In any case they can’t use their investment like with a perpetual license for a longer time.  With the old perpetual licenses, before Adobe changed its pricing policy, skipping each second upgrade would result in 40% to 50% of savings. To make sense for customers that normally didn’t purchase every update the subscription model would need to be cheaper than the price of a perpetual license plus the updates the customer normally purchased. This is not the case. The subscription model is more expensive even for customers that purchased every update.

Looking at the updates to Creative Cloud in the last year I think they were not targeted for the main part of its user base. It would be really interesting to know how many subscribers have been new or existing customers. So if the price for an update would not justify the value it brings it will make no sense. If the price for the cloud would be so low that a customer can ignore updates that are not interesting for him/her than this would be surley more acceptable.

Let’s assume that Adobe is getting away with this scam—which I still don’t hope—and you absolutely need CC to run your business and are also planning to use CC for the next years, it is the best option to sell your old CS6 license now and then pay for a brand new CC subscription. The promo saving is much lower than the value loss of your current CS6. In general it is very disappointing to see that Adobe again and again treats his existing loyal customers the worst.

If you calculate the price for a single product the result is similar. I don’t have access to all of the old prices for single product updates. But if you take for example Photoshop you can easily see that the price for an update from Photoshop CS5 to Photoshop CS6 is $199, while the Creative Cloud for Photoshop only is already $240 per year. Customers again pay 20% more, without having any major advantage that justifies that yearly price increase.

To judge the price for new customers you can estimate the price of a hypothetical perpetual license and the update price per year based on the prices for CS6. Let’s take the Master Collection as the first example again. Then you accumulate the costs for the Creative Cloud standard license and compare. You will find out that for paying $49.99 a month you can use Creative Cloud for 50 months until you will have paid the same price as a CS6 full version costs, but the Cloud also includes all the updates. Sounds great? Yes, but it isn’t. Again your perpetual license would have had a value. So if you upgraded all the time you would be able to sell the upgraded version for a bit less than what a brand new version costs at that time. Since the monthly fee is higher than the calculated monthly fee for continuous updating a perpetual license, it doesn’t matter for how many years you will pay for CC you always pay more—about $100 for each year. Again you have more software and some online space compared to CS. If you don’t need it you pay for it for nothing.

The benefit of subscribing to the CC as a new customer is that you don’t need to pay a lot of money upfront. Considering interest the additional $100 per year is an OK fee, even if you don’t need the extra software. Selling your perpetual license after 5 years you most likely won’t get the full price and would lose some money, too.

The conclusion is that new customers will pay about the same for CC as for a perpetual license that is upgraded all the time. The benefit is that the upfront costs are lower. The disadvantage is that you will again lose the right to use the software after you stop paying!

Let’s look at new customers that just would have purchased a Standard, a Design & Web, or a Production Suite. CS6 Standard is 1,299 and the other two are 1,899. Since a perpetual license has a value the initial costs are again irrelevant as long as the purchase price is not lowered much and you pay for every upgrade to keep up the value of your software. So again the price for updates needs to be compared to the cost of the Creative Cloud. As already shown before, customers that normally buy a special suite would need to pay about twice with Creative Cloud.

The same conclusions are valid for single products again. There are also the Creative Cloud Team version and EDU versions of the Cloud. The Team Cloud offers extra online space, administration tools and two service calls. Adobe charges 40% more for that. Each small business needs to decide if this has value to them. Existing customers and customers that only need a subset of the Creative Cloud software and would have chosen a special suite already pay up to three times more. So an extra 40% is probably not feasible. I wrote small business, because large businesses will receive special volume prices and special features like off-line installers.

I’m not very familiar with EDU prices. Checking Adobe’s website I can see that the regular price for EDU versions is about 40% lower than the regular Cloud version. The promo price is said to be valid only for the first year and apparently will be available only for a short time. For CS6 the Adobe site shows a discount of about 60%. Old Adobe web pages show 80% discount for CS6. So even the EDU Cloud amount to a steep price increase. If I’m not mistaken there were no EDU updates for EDU versions, so the price of an EDU version needs to be spread over the usage time to compare it with the Creative Cloud. Again EDU versions have a value that needs to be factored in.

For the above calculations changes in base prices for perpetual licenses, upgrades or the CC fee and inflation were not considered. While perpetual prices were kind of stable there is no data for CC subscription fees, yet. Due to Adobe’s sink or swim attitude, suppressing customers with update prices in the last year, the steep price increases with Creative Cloud further price increases are to be expected. There is also no guarantee that the development and updates will be kept at the same pace. It is a very sound argument that when customers have no choice anymore, Adobe is lacking a major incentive to innovate. Before customer only bought an upgrade if the price matched the value. If you look at history you can see many examples where innovation stopped because there was no competition or no choice for the customers (e.g. Bell, Internet Explorer). Adobe’s software has also reached a state where much innovation is not really needed. Things can still be made faster and easier or some special features can be added, but in general you can do what you need to do with CS6. It also should give food for thought that Adobe feels it needs to suppress its customers to make more money rather than to make products that customers want to pay for.

With the Creative Cloud subscription model Adobe is further saving distribution costs that are not even partly passed on to the customer. The customer on the other hand might face additional data transmission costs. In Germany for example, the German Telekom is going to limit the flat rates.  High-speed access is only granted for 75 GB per month. After that the speed goes down to 384 kbit/s. Businesses that don’t have Internet access need now to pay for high-speed access.

Also keep in mind that many customers from non-US countries reported that local prices are much higher than the US prices considering the exchange rates. A big protest in Australia and the fact that Adobe had been summoned in front of the parliament made them change the prices.

So the myth that the Creative Cloud is cheaper is busted. It might be an option for new customers that need a single product only or the full product line, can’t afford the upfront costs of a classic perpetual full license, would immediately update to each new version, and don’t need to access old files when they end their subscription. For existing customers of a single product or the Creative Suite Mater Collection switching to Cloud is up to 150% more expensive. Customers that only have need for a subset of the product line and would have purchased are hit the worst by the Creative Cloud. They face price increases of up to 300%.

Additionally all Creative Cloud customers need to be aware that they can’t work with their files anymore as soon as they stop paying. It is also necessary to consider the costs and the time to access files after a subscription ends, like price for new software, time to convert, correct, or re-due files, etc. All in all the rage of Adobe’s customers is more than understandable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcus, excellent evaluation.

I would boil it down to this:

Question: Why do car companies lease cars?

Answer:  Because it makes more money for them, and it leaves you with less money!

The same is true for any product.

Anyone trying to justify/explain what Adobe is doing needs to keep this in mind.

Now imagine if every car company decided that they were going to stop selling cars and would only lease them.

They could sell it to the public with BS like: "You will always have a new car!"  and "Now you won't have to wait for new features anymore!"

To continue the analogy, cars at the end of their lease would be destroyed so there wouldn't be a pesky used-car market.  Sort of like not letting people sell their software licenses anymore, like the CC.

Everyone would eventually have to lease because the old "Perpetual License" cars would become obsolete and end up in junk-yards.

The car companies could speed this process up by refusing to sell spare parts anymore.  Sort of like refusing to upgrade software anymore.

Finally, the moment you stop paying your lease, you of course won't be able to drive anymore.  Sort of like how CS6 will become worthless over time because it will be unable to open and use CC files properly, or at all the moment Adobe decides to start using a new file format.  They wouldn't do that, would they?

Gee...sorry Adobe customers, but it was your choise to stop paying your lease.

Oh...and for all this benefit, your cost of driving will of course have to go up by 2 to 3 times.

What do you think the reaction would be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Oh...and for all this benefit, your cost of driving will of course have to go up by 2 to 3 times.

Just to continue the car analogy a bit, another salesman trick is to try and keep you focused only on what you can swing as a monthly payment and avoid discussing what you are actually going to be paying for the car in total (whether purchased or leased).

In my case, I want to see what total cost and value I'm getting, not just what the monthly payment would be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh...and did we mention that we will keep producing inovative cars for you....forever!

Not because we will be driven to by market forces, but because we care about you.....the customer.

Remember, We're listening.....We're listening.....we're istening.....we're.....(fade out with echo)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Strive to offer what is best for Adobe’s customers"

The solution is simple - No subscriptions.

Anything else and Adobe receives $0.00 from me and many others by not buying into CC

https://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-incorporated-eliminate-the-mandatory-creative-cloud-s...

25,000+ Signatures and growing....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> 25,000+ Signatures and growing....

I remember hearing a long time ago that for every customer that actually complains about a problem, there were usually 5 to 10 more that were unhappy, but wouldn't formally complain.

If true in this case, that would bring a swag estimate of 125,000 to 250,000 unhappy people. At least so far...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I make purchase recommendations for our shop and I recommended paying for three Creative Suites (Web & Design ver 6 last year.

I've been buying Adobe products since about 1995. I was loyal customer but I wasn't a fanbot or cheerleader for them.

When I first heard of this little magic trick Adobe was trying to pull, I was shocked but not surprised; I half expected this when I first heard them push for the CC.

Upon hearing, I started looking at what the "upgrade" of our three suites would be. I was actually on the phone with Brice in Sales and told him I had to get approval to purchase the CC. I got off the phone, read some more and now I'm going to recommend not making any upgrade purchase of any of our Suites for at least the next year.

None of us in our shop are happy with Adobe's move and we're going attempt to make due with Version 6. That's what I'm going to recommend to the boss. As someone said earlier, people are doing fantastic work with version 6. It's just a tool and you bring your creativity to use with the tools you have. Creative Cloud? No thanks.

With Adobe 6 and all  open source programs that are currently available, we have what we need to do our jobs. Add to that the fact that new programs and communities will be growing out of this, (remember the hit Adobe took over Steve Job's snub of Flash and html5?), I expect this may help give us some freedom from the ever-growing expense of buying design/development software.

I don't like it and this both angers and depresses me. Change is often not much fun. Looking for the silver lining in that proverbial "Cloud," perhaps Adobe is doing us all a favor just as Steve Jobs did us a favor when he killed Flash on ipads... Take that Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incidentally, something I would find worth a monthly subscription fee, is if they would create web browser based versions of their apps with editing capabilities that worked in Chrome, Firefox, IE, and Safari, across the mobile and desktop platforms like Android, ChromeOS, iOS, Linux, OSX and Windows..

I would pay $50 a year for plain cloud storage and as much as $200 a year if they included browser based versions of Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, Aftereffects, Dreamweaver, and InDesign.

I still want the option of a perpetual license on any locally installed software though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add this to my list:

8. Overhaul the licensing terms to remove the problematic sections.

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2013/20130508_1a-Adobe-legal-agreement.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over at LULA's forum a guy says both he and his wife were told by a Adobe sales person that when you stoped paying for the cloud your program would still work fine just would not get any more updates. He signed up.......now they seem to have stooped to lying to get you to sign up !! Whats next threats of fiscal harm......boy is he going to be surprised when he finds he was lied to.

Last post on the page of this link...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=78085.740

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 25, 2013 May 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Terrachild,

You posted this to a thread I started, but was deleted before I could respond:

Terrachild wrote:

I tried to follow that link, but my anti-virus software (Webroot) said it contains malicious code.

What's up with that?

I have no idea why webroot flagged it. It was code provided by WordPress to allow a shortened link to my blog post.

Here are both the long and short versions of the link:

http://wp.me/p3y8Mt-h

http://agrievanceexpressed.wordpress.com/2013/05/25/is-adobes-creative-cloud-only-model-unethical-an...

If you think the article is worth reading, please endorse the link for others.

Much appreciated,

B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 26, 2013 May 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria Bampton wrote:

I'll see what I can find out about those fonts for you.

Hi Victoria,

I found out more about the font usage when a subscription expires.

If you stop your cloud subscription the included typekit subscription ends, too. Therefore websites that use typekit fonts won't display them anymore. (Text will be displayed with your fall back font or your browsers default font.) To keep your websites working as you intended you need to keep paying for a typekit subscription.

See also:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5336533

http://help.typekit.com/customer/portal/articles/6618-cancel-your-account

Cloud includes a typekit Portfolio subscription. So the page view limitations of the portfolio subscription apply also for the websites you will create with CC.

https://typekit.com/plans

When using typekit fonts you also need to be aware of that your website won't display correctly when the typekit servers are down.

I haven't found any reliable information what happens to images that used CC desktop fonts.

Marcus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The typekit desktop fonts won't be available until CC will be available. I was not able to find any license information so far. Some information can be found at: http://blog.typekit.com/2013/05/06/sneak-preview-syncing-fonts-to-your-desktop/

Apparently the font sync feature is a typekit feature and independent of CC. If you stop paying you won't be able to use the desktop fonts anymore. It is not clear how it will work technically to prevent users from copying the fonts before there CC subscription expires. It is also not clear if it is legal to create images with typekit desktop fonts and use those image after you stop your subscription.

Here is some additional information regarding typekit web fonts from the typekit license document:

3.1. (b) You may use the Service and any Licensed Content made available to you only on a Registered Website as permitted by these Additional Terms and only for as long as you maintain an uninterrupted paid subscription, or otherwise as permitted by these Additional Terms.

3.2 Reselling the Service.

(a) If you are an Agency (as defined in Section 2.1 above), you have a limited right to resell the Service, however Adobe may place limits on the number of Registered Websites that may be registered by an Agency, or the scope of services provided to such Agency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Marcus.  I've dropped Jeff Tranberry an email, and he's passed the question on to the Typekit team, but all the important people are off for the holiday weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 28, 2013 May 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria Bampton schrieb:

Thanks Marcus.  I've dropped Jeff Tranberry an email, and he's passed the question on to the Typekit team, but all the important people are off for the holiday weekend.

Hi Victoria,

Liz, from Typekit support, gave some proper answers regarding font usage in another thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5359289#5359289

Marcus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marcus Koch wrote:

Liz, from Typekit support, gave some proper answers regarding font usage in another thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5359289#5359289

Brilliant, thanks for the update Marcus!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines