• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Old Version of Photoshop CS5 and I want to move it to a new computer...

Jul 10, 2015 Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the problem, I just bought a new MBA and I want to move my current installation of CS5 to my new computer. I have no idea what my serial number is and the original box/email/cd/dvd is long, long gone. This product isn't in my online adobe account (even though I just clicked the 'Product Registration...' link inside of the program). Am I allowed to transfer it? If so, how?

Can you help me?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 10, 2015 Jul 10, 2015

you need the serial number and installation files.

if that's a current windows installation, use Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit, for software, hardware and security configuration information on your computer.… to recover your serial number before uninstalling from your old computer.

Downloadable installation files available:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you need the serial number and installation files.

if that's a current windows installation, use Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit, for software, hardware and security configuration informati... to recover your serial number before uninstalling from your old computer.

Downloadable installation files available:

Download and installation help for Adobe links

Download and installation help for Prodesigntools links are listed on most linked pages.  They are critical; especially steps 1, 2 and 3.  If you click a link that does not have those steps listed, open a second window using the Lightroom 3 link to see those 'Important Instructions'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that I"m on a Macbook Air currently and I'm moving to a new Macbook Air.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you'll still need your serial number.  you just can't use belarc to recover it.

check your account if you purchased from or registered with adobe, Adobe ID

and you'll need the installation file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I have the install files, but my serial number isn't in my account. Any other suggestions on how to recover it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this may (or may not) help you:  Find your serial number quickly

if not and you have no place else to search (eg, a product box in the attic), you can't instal ps cs5.  you should consider upgrading to ps cc for $10/mo (for both ps and lightroom), Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. The packaging is long gone. Is there no other option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

at the bottom of the first link in message 5 is a contact adobe link.  they might be able to help, but that's a long shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2015 Jul 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you have windows 7 or possibly 8, go to control panel.

(if applicable, in the upper right hand corner, where it says "view by", if it says "small icons", click to change to "Category".)

click "appearances and personalization"

Under "Folder Options", click "Show hidden files and folders"

in the "folder options" pop up window, make sure the "view" tab is selected.  \

Look in the list for "hidden files and folders".   under that, make sure to select the circle for "Show hidden files and folders"

Click "apply" then "ok".

(you have to do this first, or else you'll never find it, because the folder it is in is hidden. )

After you do that, go to look under C:

Then "users"

Then whatever your user name is

then "app data"

then "roaming"

then "Adobe"

then "lightroom"

and then under that one, if you look down, on mine it says "lightroom 5.0 registration"

when i double click on that, it pulls up a microsoft word document which contains the serial number in it.

after you copy it and paste it somewhere, don't forget to go back into your control panel and click back to "don't show hidden folders" to rehide all those intricate hidden folders.

Now, my problem is that when I tried to reinstall adobe lightroom on my other computer, the registration keeps coming back invalid.  So I'll have to do some more research to figure that out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2015 Jul 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Marcelle Brown wrote:

if you have windows 7 or possibly 8 ...

The poster made it clear that he is on a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines