Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS3 can't be activated [CS3 IS DEAD]

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

my issue is that I want to activate my old software CS3 extended but that doesn't work.

I understand the software is old and the activation server is down. There is no running Adobe service existing anymore. So far so nice and acceptable. But that's not important for me. Why? The installation runs well and the software is running without problems during the 30 days testing period so I can expect or take the risk to try out that / what (it) will happen in the same way after the 30 days.

-> as I bought this software nobody can forbid me to use it on my own risk (without Adobe service) as long as I want. If you drive a 15 years old car no automaker will collect your key and say, you either have to walk now or buy a new one.

So, I would be happy if anybody has a tip how to activate the software offline (wo the not existing activation server) before I start writing books of correspondence with Adobe about who is the owner of what ...

Thanks a lot for your experience.

Cheers,

Christian

TOPICS
Activation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shortly after the activation server was shut down, a non activation version was available for licensed users.

The window for that has long passed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, but I was a licenced user with another laptop and another (but still existing) mail adress - I got no information about that, so had no chance to get this software (if it was for free, otherwise it would make no sense).

If possible. for sure I am interested in taking that version (as there surely will be one on your archive servers). Alternatively I am sure that there is a solution to unlock mine within a file of the installation package I already have as that is what the activation server would also have done. I only need an instruction and maybe a requested code.

Do you think that's feasible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(as there surely will be one on your archive servers).

By @Christian24042597wccr

I'm sorry, but I'm not an Adobe employee.

You may want to consider the Photography Plan if your computer meets the specs:

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/compare-plans.html?ef_id=Cj0KCQjwjN-SBhCkARIsACsrBz5...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, sorry, your first comment sounded for me like this. 😉 

Thanks for the plan but I am not a professional photoshop user, so a monthly payment for something I use seldom is not a business case for me (you cannot know that). But I would like to reactivate my hobby, that's why I installed my good old CS3. And who knows, perhaps the hobby will take more and more time and the photography plan will be of interest.

But first of all I need to find a way to get it activated. You helped me a lot - as there was a "free" version offered to licenced users after activation server shut down, this proves at least that my right to use a bought software is not limited by existing activation possibilities. Thanks for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to activate CS1 through CS3 anymore. None. At all. The version that doesn't require activation is no longer available. 

Check and see if Photoshop Express will work for you. It's available for a one time payment of about $100. It doesn't do everything Photshop does, of course, but you also say you're an amateur, not a professional, so it may meet your needs.

If you want something equivalent to Photoshop, try GIMP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carp. I meant Elements, not Express. Not sure where Express came from.

Ooops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not a professional photoshop user, so a monthly payment for something I use seldom is not a business case for me

By @Christian24042597wccr

Have a look at Photoshop Elements for a one time payment:

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As wrote here several times : CS1 - CS4 are dead products. The activation server are cutoff several years ago.

Another alternative can be Photoshop Elements. That's the little brother of Photoshop and is available as a perpetual license.

More info: Easy photo editing software | Adobe Photoshop Elements 2022

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.5 - Nik Collection 6.8 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for your recommendations of alternative products.

As fast I will be convinced that there really is no chance to get access to what I own I might come back to it. Very appreciated.

Currently I still cannot accept to pay anything for something which is already paid. So I am in the process to check my opportunities. Let's see how this story ends first.

Cheers,

Christian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically, you're in the position of someone who has, say, a toaster oven so old that not only has the warranty expired, no one makes parts that can be used to repair it. It is broken beyond repair. Saying you've already paid for the broken one isn't going to make a difference, you still have to get a new toaster oven.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lin,

let's make it simple:

- the warranty expired => you're right. Not sure how it is in US, in Germany it will expire after 2 years for a toaster. I am sure you'll not throw it away after 2 years. (you didn't say that)

- no one makes parts anymore => you're right but that is out of interest as long as I don't need any

- it is broken beyond repair => you are wrong. My toaster (CS3) isn't broken. That is proven every day within the trial period. And that I can't use it anymore after trial period is not related to the age of my "toaster". It is also valid for a brand new one. That is why I am speaking about the key which was taken away and not about a broken product. And if you read the instructions, the reason for the key is to prevent the product from illegal copying. So that has nothing to do with the functionality of the product.

That Adobe decided to shut down activation servers instead of offering the internet based activation service for the next 300 years (joke) is completely ok. They only need to ensure that they are still able to activate by exception.

I am sure, if I find the old C64 computer in the cellar of my father and switch it on I will still be able to play pacman or summer games if the joy stick would still be ok (hardware). No software problem will prevent me doing so. So let's not talk about broken software or age of the software. It is simply about the key.

I am in contact with Adobe separately in between. Probably we'll find a "solution" which might be ok for both sides. Last questions are under discussion - let's see. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not support Creative Suite anymore.  They won't talk to you.  But imposters pretending to be from Adobe will try to take your money.

=============
Beware of fake Adobe reps who may contact you privately offering to sell you software or take control of your computer. It's a scam, run away! Real Adobe employees will never reach out via Outlook, Yahoo, Gmail or Skype.
=============
3 Easy Ways to Identify Genuine Adobe Staff
https://tinyurl.com/10791730

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We did "simple" when we told you that it is no longer possible to activate CS3. You're the one refusing to accept what the people who actually DO know what's going on have told you.

Whether CS3 works correctly or not isn't the point or the problem.

The problem is that the activation servers don't work. Adobe couldn't keep them running anymore. The activation software can't run on modern machines. Those activation servers generated the keys that could be used to activate CS3 without having to connect to the activation servers. Those keys can no longer be generated.

There is no way to activate CS3 anymore. At all. Ever. Anyone who tells you differently is lying to you and is trying to steal from you. Or is perhaps trying to sell you a cracked version that has malware embedded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS3 is dead.  After the 30 day trial ends, it will stop working. 

If you can't or won't pay for new software, nobody can force you.  There are free and low cost options available.  However they fall  short of what modern Photoshop can do.  

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines