• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Program Files path changed in the registry preventing the installation of Adobe Creative Cloud

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Having a single SSD of 512Gb divided in two partitions on my laptop (C: and D:), I changed the default installation path of the programs in the registry to prevent my C: drive (80Gb) from being full too quickly.

TanguyBourhis_1-1635798731707.png

Unfortunately and after having looked for the problem during long hours, it seems that this change of path is causing the malfunction of Adobe Creative Cloud.

When I install it it works the first time but as soon as I restart my computer, it loads during a few minutes and then this sadly famous error message appears : 

"Adobe Creative Cloud, needed to resolve the problem, is missing or damaged. You can try to repair to fix the issue. If the problem persists, download and install the new copy from http://www.adobe.com/go/adobecreativecloudapp."

Before posting here, I obviously tried (I think) everything starting with using the use of Creative Cloud Cleaner and all possibilities listed on this topic : https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-missing-damaged.html

I am now convinced my issue is related with the change in the registry and as an hint I also get this error message when Creative Cloud works after installing it at its first launch :

TanguyBourhis_0-1635798520091.png

I hope someone will have a solution for me, thanks in advance !

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tanguy,

Interesting that you're having the exact same issue I've been struggling with since yesterday. Although in my case, I don't recall making any changes recently. However, I do have my programs (and Windows) both installed on an SSD under a "W:" partition rather than the usual "C:".

I've been having issues with the Creative Cloud app since about a week ago, with fonts not loading properly and whatnot. I tried to fix the issue yesterday by uninstalling and reinstalling Creative Cloud, and that's when it all came crashing.

After attempting everything from the cleaner tool, reinstalling Creative Cloud numerous times, contacting support and going through several other steps with the support team, the issue still persisted. After my last system reboot I got the exact same Asserton Failed message as you.

My guess is that it might have something to do with a recent Windows 10 update, but I could be wrong. Your thought on it being partition-related could very well be the issue.

I've concluded that the only way to avoid wasting more time would be to format my PC and reinstall everything - although it would be devestating if the issue persists after that.

I've asked Adobe Support for individual downloads for each software I currently need to finish my work. That could be a temporary solution to get your work done if you're in a rush.

Good luck! Here's to hoping we find a solution better than formatting...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Khalid, thanks for your answer !

I'm pretty sure this is partition related since it didn't work on Windows 10 for me (with the installation path changed in the registry), I then updated to Windows 11 and it worked again (but I had not changed the installation path yet) and stopped working as soon as I modified the Program Files path in the registry.

One quick solution for you could also have been, I think, to change back the installation path of softwares in the registry on the C: drive before reinstalling Creative Cloud. This worked for me but I don't want to have all my programs being installed on the C: drive which is almost full on my laptop.

Hoping someone will be able to provide us with a solution now !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Still no one has an answer to my matter ? 😟

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2024 Mar 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is the registry? I want to check that, my creative cloud installs software to the wrong path even though it shoudlnt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

copy and paste a screenshot showing your install path preference setting.

where are your apps being installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OxiDiZe_FoCuZHD_0-1710004445681.png

It also doesnt install my software in english, everything is german, that was set by default for some reason since I installed. but I reinstalled everything multiple times, still lots of stuff is in german instead of english.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so your issue is with the install language, not install path, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

both. it installs german on D instead of english on C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thats why I assuem, the registry or whatever file does not get updated when I change the setting. As that was an old setting of mine.

I did uninstall creative cloud and all Files already and reinstalled everything even plugins and all that (invest a whole weekend), and still no change.  So I'd like to change it myself manualy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem. Manually moving the Folder to C drive is the only way to go. After each time you update, just copy paste the full folder to the C drive. 

You can change the language if you go to the config file of eahc software. It's tideaous and weird that there are not language settings in the application, but it works at least.

Hoping for a fix too. Reinstalling didn't work for me either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my apps are installed on D drive (whioch is an old HDD mainly used for Backup. I don't even have a programms folder there, adobe just creates one an dinstalls everything there.

Also: I manualy move software from my D to C so it's fast, but if it isn't in my D drive, than creative cloud says: I've got the software not installed, so I have pretty much installed all software double on C and D. Just so I can at least make updates.

But I have to manualy start software by going to the exe file (or have a link to it) and than open files from within oftware, cause if I do "open with" it always opens the software from the D drive, which is insanely slow obv.

All I can say is that I made an update from a 1tb to a 4tb SSD cupple months back, and right befor that, I've set my installation path to D for cupple weeks, cause I had no space on C. But right after I updated my SSD I put it back on the C, but ever since, it doesn't register that I want the C drive as my installation path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

manually moving executables is a guaranteed way to create a mess.

at this point, it's not clear what or how to undo what you've already done.  the best solution would be to back up your data, reformat you hard drives and then properly install what you want.  i'm not sure that's worthwhile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I literally just need to get to the config file / reg key or whatever file and manualy set the installation path. But nobody is telling me where to get there, either because they think I want to abuse the software for who knows what, or because nobody knows any better. 

Really disappointing. Since like 2020 or so, since everything is controlled by CC many easy things liek "changing" language and changing install location are getting so abnoxiously annoying, and I often need to change language settings depending on the clients I work with or the coworkers. It's just insane, how such easy things can be so complicated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps: just to be clear, I work with adobe software since over a decade, and I love it. It makes my life happier, its not like I'm a hater or just a noob who doesn't know any better. but such basic things used to be so easy, it was alyways possible to just change language in the settings. now everything is so complicated. it's just weird to the point where my workflow and fun decreases. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can try a clean install carefully following each applicable step:

uninstall every cc app including preferences per https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html

then uninstall the cc desktop app, again using the correct uninstaller per https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html#sa_src=web-mes...

clean your computer of cc files per http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

check for, and if available, update your os

if windows is your os, repair all ms visual c++ versions that can be repaired (use google if you don't know how to do this)

if windows is your os update your ms visual c++, if it can be updated (use google if you don't know how to do this)

restart your computer (don't skip this)

reinstall the cc desktop app using the "alternative download links" at the bottom of the page at https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-desktop-app-download.html

use the desktop app to install your cc programs/trials

NOTE: win 11 users that have trouble with the latest win 10 installer often have success with the older win 10 installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2024 Mar 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okey, I'll try this asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2024 Mar 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

let us know if that worked.  it's iffy because of the manual changes you made, but it's the best bet short of reformatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines