• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re: Trying to Install Adobe Photoshop CS5 from CD on Windows 11 -- Getting Runtime Error

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Us older freelancers are looking at getting iced out by the monopolies. We can't afford subscription services so what else is there. Sorry. I'm just a little bitter because my computer died today, so I am looking at early retirement or... I don't know what. ✊

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@theartistt wrote:

Us older freelancers are looking at getting iced out by the monopolies. We can't afford subscription services so what else is there. Sorry. I'm just a little bitter because my computer died today, so I am looking at early retirement or... I don't know what. ✊

I don't quite get your argument about this being an age-based argumemnt.  I'm sure older freelancers have a cell phone subscription, a cable or streaming subscription, or maybe a spotify or itunes subscription. So making this assumption that old age equates to not being able to manage a subscription is far fetched.

To the earlier point, you paid "hundreds of dollars" and you expect it to run forever unlike the computer it runs on or the operating system that has been upgraded at the start of this post.  Unfortunately, most software has gone the way of subscriptions and it just needs to be accounted for as a business expense even if it means passing some or all of that onto the customer.  Outside of free software like GIMP or Inkscape or Visual Studio Code the only software that comes to mind that is not subscription is Affinity ( https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/ ).  But they still charge for upgrades so there will still be a point where their software will not run forever and you will need to buy new versions. And that only accounts for part of the suite because other competitors to other tools like Sketch or Nova are both subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The argument is my "old" software runs just fine and does all I need it to. The idea that is is old or shouldn't run forever is a corporate money making ideal. Same with video games and other software that works fine... but the hardware or OS is deliberately advanced to make them obsolete in order to force customers to buy new, and usually much more expensive. No. I cannot afford $60 a month for a subscription. Like, not at all. I'm a freelancer. I have months were I barely make $30 (hello COVID). My monthly income is not guaranteed. We live check to check (spouse's income) so my extra income goes towards things like shoes, coats, etc. Subscription services force freelancers like me, who are affordable especially for smaller businesses, out of business while pushing prices up for clients so said smaller businesses can no longer afford graphic design services. It's bull caca for both small clients and small freelancers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines