Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

sad and angry about Adobe breaking my copy of Acrobat Pro 8

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like I am at the end of the road on getting Acrobat 8 running again on my Windows 10 PC.  Long story, but it’s very discouraging to spend hours trying to get the software I’ve used happily for years to work again.  I used to love Adobe (I was at the product announcements for both ATM and Acrobat in the early ’90s) but not so much these days.  So I guess I just need to get this off my chest.

I’ve read many posts in here about the problem, about activation servers retiring, posts by Nancy O’Shea saying very firmly that it is dead and obsolete software.  I can understand any company not wanting to support old software 10 years on, but if it works, why prevent people who bought it in the past from using it—it’s not costing them anything.  It just seems mean and greedy to prevent people from using software they have bought.  My original purchase worked for years on Windows 7, 8, and 10 (the last 3 years), but when my Windows 10 PC died and I got a new one, the activation mess started.

I relied on the features of 8 Pro that let me remove security (why my banks/brokerages lock my PDF statements, I don’t know), compress to shrink the file, scan with OCR to make it searchable, and add comments and highlighting—but I will not pay $150/year subscription fees for that.

Any suggestions for a good cheap or free clone that offers those features?

P.S.   Another change that bothered me 10 years ago was when they broke an incredibly powerful feature that let me link with a web page HTML link directly to an internal anchor in the middle of a PDF file.  It stopped a pet project of mine in mid-track.

TOPICS
Activation, Installation

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does cost them, though. They had to pay for the activation servers and the connections allowing people to connect to them. The basic issue here is that the activation servers were old and couldn't be maintained anymore without costing a lot of money, and the activation software itself won't run on newer hardware and OS's and it cost far too much to port it so that it could.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Plus there are countless security issues inherent in running unpatched legacy software as well as the expired licenses stemming from including 3rd party components in older Adobe software.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe didn't do anything to Acrobat 8 since it came out in 2006!  I'm very surprised you were able to use it this long. 

You're long overdue for an upgrade. A great deal has changed in 16 years.

FREE Acrobat Reader -- view, comment & sign PDF.
https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/pdf-reader.html

Paid Acrobat Pro DC -- the complete solution for creating and saving PDF.
https://acrobat.adobe.com/us/en/acrobat/acrobat-pro.html

Nancy O'Shea, Adobe Product User & Community Professional
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines