• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which Adobe components in Utility folder on iMac (macOS Ventura) can be deleted?

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2022 Dec 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

Can any of you advise me on what Adobe files I can safely trash from my Applications > Utilities folder?

I just got a new iMac computer (running Ventura) and transferred everything over from an older computer (running Sierra).

I'm sure some of this stuff is duplicate or not needed.

I have attached a screenshop showing the Adobe components in my Application > Utilities folder.

I had been using standalone CS4 on the older iMac running Sierra.  For years, I felt fortunate to have an affordable working solution.

On the old computer (just a few weeks ago), I signed up for a yearly CC subscription, and the Creative Cloud App was installed and functioning, but I did not take the step to install any of the actual Adobe CC applications yet.  So I know that some of these components are part of CC, particularly as indicated by the dates and the style of the icons.

Once everything was transferred to the new iMac running Ventura, I deleted every Adobe CS4 application and related files using AppCleaner.
Before I download any CC Apps, I'd like to trash whatever I can from the Applications > Utilities folder.

Any suggestions?  

I see that the file "pm.db" appears twice.   Will that folder "Adobe Application Manager" be used for anything once I download any of the CC Apps?  And some files have similar names (the Uninstaller) and function as Alias files pointing to one file.  Would I need all of them?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Delete-Adobe-CC.png

TOPICS
Creative Cloud , Installation , New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you should undo that transfer and properly install the cc desktop app. then use the desktop app to install your other adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

Can you clarify?

I actually do have the CC Desktop App and it's working fine. 

It's indicating I am ready to download/install any of the CC Applications.

I just would like to delete old unneeded files in the Utility folder before I do so, if that's ok to do.

Does that make sense?

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it makes sense, but the easiest way to proceed (and make sure you have no problems as you proceed) is to do what i suggested.

if you insist, you could be foolish and delete those files by 1/2's and test.  but that really is a mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes,  I totally agree with you that it would have been best, if possible, to be able to install everything on a fresh machine from scratch.  For better or worse, I had the Apple store do a data transfer from my old machine to my new machine (it's something I have done before), and I didn't have the option to pick and choose which folders to transfer over.  At this point, I am not up for going back, as it would entail erasing and reformat my harddrive and reinstalling every application.  With about 150 applications already installed with all their components and prefs, I have found it easier to do things this way and then check and tweak and fix any resulting bugs and update apps as needed.  

I imagine no harm will come from having all these files in the Utilities folder, but perhaps someone might know these files like the back of their hand, and know which can easilly be trashed.  

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, and for others, the way to do this is to, before migration:

uninstall every cc app per https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-remove-app.html

then uninstall the cc desktop app, again using the correct uninstaller per https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html#sa_src=web-mes...

clean your computer of cc files per http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

then migrate your data and properly install the cc desktop app on your new computer.

@mrpooh 

the least of your problems is having extraneous files.  you have about a 50% chance of significant problems with your cc apps as you start to use and update them.

but that gives you a 50% chance of no significant problems.  you've explained your preference, go for it. 

if everything works well, you can deal with those files later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your guidance and for helping others as well.

Gratefully, everything installed and seems to be fully functioning, not only the installation of the latest Adobe CC, but a few Applications as well (Photoshop, Lightroom Classic, and InDesign).

From what I see in other forum posts, I'm not the only one who is perplexed by and not so fond of the multiple Adobe folders and files.  It's consoling to know that I'm not alone, and I'm grateful things are working smoothly.

Now I'm going to hop on over to forum discussions related to alternatives to Type 1 Fonts, support for which will be discontinued in 2023.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you're welcome.

and you're correct about the mess that's caused by any adobe installation.  files are strewn all over the os drive, and even following adobe's suggested steps for properly uninstalling and cleaning won't remove everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines