• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

adobe creative cloud not responding - frozen screen on MacBook Pro 2020 (M1 chip)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ya'll, 

i just bought a new macbook pro 2020 - M1 chip - and am trying to get creative cloud to work. 
basically I allready installed and unistalled everything 10 times. 

Everytime i open the creative cloud app i get the start screen or the dashboard screen but i can't click on anything and it is not responding. 

I am aware that to run photoshop on my new macbook I need to download Rosetta 2 and the beta version of the non native photoshop version however, i was never asked to downloac Rosetta 2... can't seem to find a way to instal this manually and, i can't click on the beta version of photoshop because creative cloud is non responsive. 

Please help me, i have been looking for a solution for hours, i'm going crazy 🙂

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

That is exactly what I'm experiencing!

I know people who have the M1 and Adobe runs smoothly for them because they are prompted with "download Rosetta 2" window. With the help of a some engineer collegues, I've tried installing Rosetta 2 manually in my computer's terminal. It says it's downloaded successfully but Adobe still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running into the same problem. As far as I understand it, adobe apps are not yet compatible with the m1 chip in the newest models of Macs. https://community.adobe.com/t5/download-install/can-i-run-my-adobe-apps-on-apple-computers-that-use-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as far as my research goes it is possible to run the apps on models with the m1 chip if: 

- you download Rosetta 2 which enables you to work with non-native apple apps 

- you download the Beta version of photoshop or other adobe programs (which seem to be decent already)

However: 

- It's impossible to find "Rosetta 2" to install manually. Normally your mac should automatically ask you if you want to download this when running non-native apps. Mine however, doesn't do that.

- I can see, when opening my creative cloud, that there is a menu in the left tab "beta versions", but since my creative cloud freezes everytime I open it... i can't click on it. And if I open the creative cloud through a webbrowser, I can't find the beta versions anywhere...

So i'm stuck...

the Waldo question here is; Where is Rosetta? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what I'm experiencing!

I know people who have the M1 and Adobe runs smoothly for them because they are prompted with "download Rosetta 2" window. With the help of a some engineer collegues, I've tried installing Rosetta 2 manually in my computer's terminal. It says it's downloaded successfully but Adobe still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have both good and bad news 🙂

after trying litteraly everything: uninstalling and re-installing creative cloud ten times, doing deep cleanses of my mac for any old photoshop caches or library items that would interfere... i decided to take drastic mesures: completelly restoring my macbook, erasing the utility discs, and starting over.  and... it turns out to be the solution! now everything works!!! 

I am pretty sure the problem occured because I did a migration from one mac to this new one and I also migrated the Adobe apps which also copied old instalation files and interfered with the new adobe creative cloud. 

So note to self: 

- don't use migration for adobe apps 😉

- drastic measures take time but they pay off : entirely restore your macbook! it works. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seems like we both found a solution than 🙂

enjoy! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: I just got Adobe CC to work! I just entered this into my terminal:

/usr/sbin/softwareupdate --install-rosetta --agree-to-license

Before doing that, Adobe CC was completely uninstalled from my computer. Make sure you are using the latest version of the uninstaller (https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/uninstall-creative-cloud-desktop-app.html specifically under this heading: "Download the Creative Cloud desktop app uninstaller (latest version)." Then I entered that into my terminal, re-downloaded Adobe CC and it worked.

I also entered these into my terminal separately (make sure you press enter after these):

softwareupdate --install-rosetta

(then)

/usr/sbin/softwareupdate --install-rosetta --agree-to-license

I was also restarting my computer between entering the different lines of code into the terminal. I'm not sure if that did anything, but I tried to trouble shoot every step of the way. I hope this works for you! Best of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I just migrated over from an old Macbook Pro to a new M1 and I am running into the issues you described.

I've read this thread but was hoping you could clarify the steps and process.

1. Uninstall all Adobe apps from computer

2. Enter this code into terminal "/usr/sbin/softwareupdate --install-rosetta --agree-to-license"

Where is the terminal located?

Anything else??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All set! I figured it out. Thanks for advice it worked like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is a terminal?? I have this issue too! Im in school right now for design so I am so stressed out trying to figure this issue out. I just got the new mac and it doesnt even open the programs i need. please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so i found how to do the terminal thing and install rosetta 2 manually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJBhWobIoQo

you can find terminal with spotlight

if your terminal thing says something about 'zsh as default..' follow this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208050

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are AWESOME!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sir, you are a legend!

I was struggling for two days with that issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are my heror!

I'm coming from a late 2015 MacBook and mitgrated it to a late 2020 M1 MacBook Pro and had the problem that my Creative Cloud was frozen. 

I did all the steps with a restart in between and used this link to install the app again an chose M1:

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-desktop-app-download.html

Finally it all workes like a charm.

Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did it and it's working!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Was sure it was old files that were responsible for the problem as I did migrate to my M1 too.

Finally the Adobe Cloud Cleaner Tool was the solution. You can find it here https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

hope that helps and saves some people some hours of frustration.

Best

Nicolas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Nicolas!

The cleanup tool has resolved problem I had!  

In my case after migration to M1 laptop, only Acrobat DC worked normally, and all other Adobe applications freezed or crashed. Basically, I couldn't do anything because Creative Cloud freezed despite of repeated reinstallation.

After cleaning up all old files (some were probably >20 years old), Creative Cloud started to work normally. I was then able to reinstall other apps. Illustrator and Photoshops also started to work...

GZ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This one worked for me as well! 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of you are absolute heros! I've been frustratedly trying to get this to download since Christmas and have been dying to get back to editing photos. Ugh, I wish I could buy you all coffees!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still running into this issue... I've uninstalled creative cloud and installed the M1 version from their sight... and it never works. Still launches and then freezes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only uninstalling didn't work for me neither. Have you tried the Cleaner Tool I mentioned above? That worked for me. Hope that helps.

Best,

Nicolas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much this is also worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much this is also worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed the issue by going to my Finder --> Applications --> Search for "Adobe" and then click "Applications" right next to "Search: This Mac" and delete EVERYTHING under that category, I mean everything, including non-app-looking files. Then, reinstall Adobe Cloud from your browser. Then you could proceed to install all of your other Adobe apps once your Adobe Cloud is installed. I hope that solves your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I combined this tip of deleting all Adobe-appearing files in the Applications folder with running the Adobe Cleaner tool AND manually installing Rosetta 2 in Terminal, then restarting my computer, and that did the trick! Not sure if all of these steps were necessary, or if one of them alone would've been good, but to be foolproof I'd recommend doing all of them - I think the migration assistant theory posited above is what likely caused my issue/is causing many people issues, but I was able to get CC to function without wiping the whole computer, so I consider that a major win. After many days of reading message boards, this thread finally did the trick, so thank you to everyone here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines