• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Uninstall older Versions

Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having sometimes had issues when installing updates, I have older versions of both LR and PS on my computer.

Now I have not had any issues after updating for some time I went to uninstall the older versions and I can't do it!

If I use the windows uninstaller, the CC app appears and there is some text that appears at the top but it goes so quickly I  can't read what it says.  I restart my computer but the version i tried to uninstall is still there.

If I uninstall using the CC app it uninstalls the current version.  There are several options to install older versions in the manage apps, but no options to uninstall older versions.

Does anyone know how I can uninstall please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 17, 2019 Aug 17, 2019

I've spent the last 2 days trying to reply to you but I'm unable to reply!  I don't have permission apparently.  This is an edit as this post has uploaded OK.  Today I can post a reply!

So I went on the chat to resolve the forum issue and during the discussion actually solved the uninstall issue.

I was right in that I had to just delete the unwanted versions as the app did not list them for some reason and I found where they had hidden the save to field!  Yay - I won all round.

Apps are now in my P

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an option in the CC desktop app to uninstall older versions when a NEWER, Upgrade not update, version is installed.

The last, at least 2 if not 3, releases of both LR and PS have been Updates, Not Upgrades. LR 8 got updated to 8.1 or .2 then to .3 then to .3.1 and now .4. PS has had a similar version update, 20.x to 20.xx (or whatever).

If you had the option selected in the CC app then the installer for a UPGRADE, not an Update, should of removed the older, previous version. But what happens is the uninstaller leaves behind the parent folder and a couple of subfolders. But those folders only contain a few files. Those can be manually deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this Just Shoot Me.  Yes I know that an upgrade will offer the option of removing/keeping the older versions and because I have had issues when installing an upgrade I opted to retain the old version.  Having done this a couple of times with both LR and PS and now after a period of stability, it is time for the old versions to go - if only I can uninstall them.

They are all complete with all of the files that a full install has.  I've got LR 7.4 and 8.3 and PS 19.1.7 and 20.0.1.to go, but as I said in my first post, I can't uninstall them from the Windows uninstaller or the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS is now up to 20.0.6. That is an UPDATE to 20.0.1. If you remove what looks like 20.0.1 in the Windows Add-Remove programs you might just remove PS 20.0.6, the most current version.

Take a look at the Adobe program folder under C:\Program Files\Adobe. Do you see a folder for PS 2018 or 2017 (or whatever other than Photoshop CC 2019)? If not I would stop worrying about what you may see in the Windows Add-Remove or Programs and Features section of the Windows settings or Control Panel.

If you do find any PS folders other than CC 2019 then look in them to see if there is an uninstall program (.EXE) and exactly what is in those folders.

I have had PS installed on my present computer since PS 5 and now PS CC 2019. Here is a screen shot of the program folder that I have all my Adobe product installed to.

Adobe Program Folder.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Just Shoot Me.  You link is not working - it opens another forum page.

Here it gets a bit complicated.  I like to keep my C drive purely for system stuff and have a dedicated programme (P) drive.  So in my P drive there is:

Folder Adobe 2017 containing Acrobat, Adobe CC, CS5 Plug-ins and Sync - (all folders).

Next folder is Adobe 2018 containing Bridge, LR Classic CC and PSCC 2018.

Next folder  Adobe 2019 containing Bridge, LR Classic CC and PSCC 2019.

Next Folder Adobe 2019 2 containing Bridge CC 2019, LR Classic CC, PSCC 2019 and PSCC 2019 20.0.1

Adobe Apps manager

Adobe CC apps

Adobe Creative cloud

However, recently it seems that you no longer have the option to install into a drive of your choice and it defaults into my C drive.  Grrrrr.

So in the C drive adobe folder I have

Bridge CC 2019, LR Classic, LR Classic CC, PSCC 2018, PSCC 2019, PSCC 20.0.1 and PSCC 20.0.5

My latest LR is 8.4 and PSCC 20.0.5 and according to the app they are the latest versions.  I've looked in the 2018 folders of LR and PS and there are no uninstall folders or files.

I'm now thinking that the only way is to manually delete the unwanted versions as my plug-ins and settings etc should have been retained for use with the next version (and the next etc).  Everything seems to be working OK on the latest versions.  The other option is the delete the shortcut and just leave the folders and files where they are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop Press!!

Your screenshot has just appeared!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option to install to some other drive is controlled by a setting in the CC desktop app under the preferences, the 3 DOTs in the upper right hand corner of that CC app.

But that setting only applies to New installs of apps. I set mine to D:\Program Files long ago after I realized the CC apps were installing to my C drive (at that time I had a small 120GB SSD for my system drive). I then uninstalled all the Adobe apps and then reinstalled so they would go to the D drive. Once set I have never had to change it.

Could be at some point the CC app on your computer lost track of your P drive and reverted to using C. Not sure Don't know as mine never has reverted to C.

Do you let the CC app run at startup? I don't. I only run it when I hear there are updates then I exit out of it when updates/upgrades are done. That option is also in the CC app preferences. Something like Start CC app with computer. I uncheck that option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what exactly is in those folders from older versions?

You could us the Adobe CC Cleaner App to selectively remove those older versions.

Use the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2019 Aug 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've spent the last 2 days trying to reply to you but I'm unable to reply!  I don't have permission apparently.  This is an edit as this post has uploaded OK.  Today I can post a reply!

So I went on the chat to resolve the forum issue and during the discussion actually solved the uninstall issue.

I was right in that I had to just delete the unwanted versions as the app did not list them for some reason and I found where they had hidden the save to field!  Yay - I won all round.

Apps are now in my P drive and all of mu older versions are in the waste bin.  I'll leave them there for a bit just in case, but so far all seems good.

Thank you for youe help with this is is much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines