• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is adobe making us pay monthly?

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2015 Jun 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not fair for adobe to ask for money from everyone by asking us to pay $9.99 monthly for everything in the creative cloud and will not even allow us to have the option to pay a full price upfront for only one software. This needs to be fixed.

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 02, 2016 May 02, 2016

Future market growth, ongoing stable revenue streams (monthly subscription payments) and generate bigger returns for shareholders are some of the strongest reasons for me.

Several analyses online:

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news/creative-software/analysis-real-reason-adobe-ditched-creative-suite-for-creative…

Why Creative Cloud Gets Free Upgrades but Adobe CS6 Doesn’t | ProDesignTools 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You two know full well that's not what he's asking...

You can pay one time fee for an year also:

Interesting choice of words, "one time fee". What happens after this year?

-----

Why is adobe making us pay monthly?

Well, let me tell you why.

Adobe wants customers to try the Cloud version out for a year, enticing them with advertisements saying how awesome and wonderful it all is and getting a discount for the first year. In the meantime you’re making and editing files that can (mostly) only be opened with Adobe’s programs.

Then when the year is over you of course still want to be able to open up your own created files. So... you reluctantly sign up for another year, even though you don’t really want to. This goes on until you have developed full-blown Stockholm syndrome and start to defend this BS rental system. That is the new business model with CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you prefer to purchase a suite instead of a subscription, the CS6 suite is available for purchase: 

Purchase CS6 products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow... just wow. I guess I haven't made myself clear enough yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌i think you have made yourself clear but to me it is worth every penny. How much did the whole suite cost to buy outright? More than a years worth of renting the full sub. Look at the upgrades and bug fixes we are getting on a regular basis. If you are making a living off of the software then it is just a tool like a car to get to work. Tax write off as well. People who are against the sub model befuddle me. If you just want PS its 120 a year but look what you get for it. Cheap in my opinion. I know what you are saying as in respect to getting locked in but not very true. There are open source free programs out there for everyone of Adobe's. They just don't work as well or I should say as intuitive or easy. So as always you get what you pay for. What about the free site you get ! What about BC? Worth every penny in my book and I don't even make money from it. I just love to learn the programs and the sub model has allowed me to do so. I may drop out tomorrow and I can and not lose over a grand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 27, 2015 Jun 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much did the whole suite cost to buy outright?

Why always the comparison to the WHOLE suite? There were packages to choose from, and I highly doubt you needed ALL the programs when starting out.

Once you bought a suite you could upgrade for far less than the cost of a new license.

If you are making a living off of the software then it is just a tool like a car to get to work.

No. It's not like a car. You don't create things with a car. Once you are done renting a car you are not stuck with stuff that will only work with that particular car. It's not at all "just a tool like a car".

If you just want PS its 120 a year but look what you get for it. Cheap in my opinion.

Once you need more than 2 programs you're already in the full CC price range.

But the cost for it right now is not the issue. Once you start creating files in the latest CC versions there is no easy way out to be able to continue to work with your own files without any strings attached, hence the need to create your files in a perpetual license version to begin with. For a casual hobby I suppose renting it for a while is fine. When you need to work with the programs for a living it's a no-go if it means being stuck in digital Cloud serfdom for the rest of my creative working life.

I know what you are saying as in respect to getting locked in but not very true. There are open source free programs out there for everyone of Adobe's.

If you create files in Adobe programs, good luck trying to open them up anywhere else. And I'm not talking about the exported files.

What about the free site you get ! What about BC? Worth every penny in my book and I don't even make money from it.

Free site? Really? All the negative things involved in having a rental-only system and somehow a free site deserves an exclamation mark? And I have no clue what you're referring to with "BC", I guess it's some kind of Adobe extra.

I just love to learn the programs and the sub model has allowed me to do so. I may drop out tomorrow and I can and not lose over a grand.

Still no reason why there should be rental-ONLY. You'd also lose 50% over your remaining period by the way if you drop out tomorrow. Unless you go with a month-to-month version, in which case there are trial versions you can use for free.

-----

Sigh, I know I could (and probably should) be a bit more 'subtle' over here, but damn. This is just so bizarre. Mind you, I have no problem with you liking the Cloud. I have a problem with it being the only option in town. It has waaaay too many negative sides to it.

I'll end with something I've said earlier somewhere on the forum:

I bought into the Creative Cloud nonsense while perpetual licenses were still being offered and there was no talk of going rental only. So I used CC for a year. Most of the files I created in my CC period I can open up in my CS 5.5 version. So it was easier to get rid of these CC chains, but as time goes on even CS6 won't be able to properly open up CC files. CC is great for Adobe, horrible for customers.

If you want typekit, stock photo's integration, and storage options. Well, that can easily be done without the CC model for the programs themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 27, 2015 Jun 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand where you are coming from and why the sub model bothers people but to me I don't mind. Pro Tools is doing the same and I like that as well. Very expensive program made affordable to the masses which is what really bothers everyone. Before they had that cushion between them and the others now it is gone and they are scared. To me it is a tool like a car which may not be the best analogy maybe like a hammer or other tools I used as a construction worker. I made money with those tools and couldn't do my job without them. I spent more than the 1000 or so bucks CC costs on tools every year. To me it really comes down to that prices go up for things. When I started working on buildings my boots cost 50 bucks and I went through three pairs a year. Now they are 175.  I could get a knock off for 50 bucks still but my feet would hurt everyday and not get the protection they needed. Easier just to but the right boots in the first place and not have to worry about it. Same thing here applies do you want to use the software that makes your work the best? It's up to you. Don't buy CC and go get something open source and deal with that I'm sure Adobe could care less. See thats the issue, everyone knows Adobe is the best and they do not want to see prices increase when what they are getting paid is going down. This is something the blue collar community has been dealing with for years so maybe I am immune. All the other arguments I won't rehash we just disagree. I hope it works out for you going open source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, this page is unavailable

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have changed my mind about Adobe. I have no interest in paying monthly and yearly fees. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of January 9, 2017 Creative Suite is no longer available for purchase.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stockholm Syndrome, lol. Yeah, you're right though. Just wait until those increases take place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photography, Single App, and Complete Plan subscriptions can each be paid for on a monthly plan or prepaid annual plan

Pattie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tags: stop stealing my money.

Haha, first time I've noticed tags. Nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2016 May 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just don't get why I cant buy a copy of just one program. For me I just want to buy a copy of Adobe Flash to do some animation with, but I am forced to do a monthly subscription. In the past I have been able to buy a copy of various Adobe programs, Like Premier for video editing. I don't want to have all of the cloud features that they offer at the expense of being forced to pay a monthly subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the stand alone versions are not there, you can get the single app CC Creative Cloud pricing and membership plans | Adobe Creative Cloud

Regards

Rajashree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did they stop publishing stand alone software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Future market growth, ongoing stable revenue streams (monthly subscription payments) and generate bigger returns for shareholders are some of the strongest reasons for me.

Several analyses online:

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/news/creative-software/analysis-real-reason-adobe-ditched-creativ...

Why Creative Cloud Gets Free Upgrades but Adobe CS6 Doesn’t | ProDesignTools 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doing nothing? They are providing bug fixes and new features constantly, and those are automatically installed for every product you license from them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Abuse like that isn't going to win you any sympathy. 

Adobe is a business and businesses need to ensure a revenue stream or they soon stop being businesses. Adobe has determined that a subscription model works better for them, and there is no legal, ethical, or moral reason they can't use it. They tell you upfront this is how it works, and bigotry has nothing to do with their decision. Math does. After a while, technology (hardware and OS) has changed enough that the old programs will not run on the new platforms and it is cost prohibitive for companies to attempt to keep those old programs running.

As for my phone, my prior phone did, in fact, stop updating its OS a few months before I decided I needed to upgrade. I decided to upgrade because the battery wasn't holding its charge, otherwise I'd still be using the old phone and not getting OS updates. 

Do I like the subscription model? No, I don't, and for the same reason I buy my car instead of leasing it. I don't expect the car dealership to repair or maintain it for free, though, at least not after the warranty expires.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The BEST part is CC is a piece of shit!! My Photoshop 3 on my 8100 powermac with 64mg of ram was 100x's faster that this shit!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's fine, however I pay $50 a month for one seat of CC, and I can't even get ANYONE to answer why it ALWAYS STALLS. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John has summed it up nicely. Please let us know the issue that you are facing for the subscription in detail so that we can follow it up.

Regards

Rajashree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think its <> disgusting.

[Moderator note: these are public forums and appropriate behavior, including language, is required. No profanity is allowed. Some verbiage removed.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the essence of corporate control.  Driven by several illusions that Adobe is absolutely necessary, thus, allows Adobe to the freedom to charge, bill, sale.. what ever will bring in the most profits.  Truly, the digital divide is getting closer and closer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines