Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bootstrap 4 navbar driving me nuts

Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello folks.

Can some one tell me how to change the background colour of the Bootstrap Navbar in DW CC 18.1?

I have tried adding CSS as a separate style and also tried by taking over the existing .navbar CSS in the new stylesheet.

Thanks

Joe

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at HOW TO change the bootstrap 4 NAVBAR background color. - YouTube

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aytonwest  wrote

Can some one tell me how to change the background colour of the Bootstrap Navbar...

For a quick change in colors, use a Bootwatch Theme.  Presently there are 21 to choose from.

https://bootswatch.com/

Simply replace your current ink to Bootstrap default CSS with the Bootwatch theme of choice.

https://www.bootstrapcdn.com/bootswatch/

<!--Bootswatch Solar Theme from MaxCDN-->

<link href="https://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/bootswatch/4.0.0/solar/bootstrap.min.css" rel="stylesheet" integrity="sha384-05+VJtAaH13TDtIHikH0vJFqCdHB4VPg9dYfcALIbTdOSDwSL299oJ173uQBedD5" crossorigin="anonymous">

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the responses. So I take it its not possible to change the background in Dreamweaver? Web design is becoming increasingly devoid of any chance of creativity!!

J

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

aytonwest  wrote

Web design is becoming increasingly devoid of any chance of creativity!!

Not true.

The user of a framework such as bootstrap is isolated from the actual code, unless of course you wish to learn what and where all the id's, classes , selectors, etc of the 100kb+ of css that is part of the framework are, and what they do. An almost impossible task that I am certain no one does.

Whilst I could just say that the isolation of the user from the code is just one of the many drawback of using frameworks such as bootstrap. What I will advise instead, is that in order to find which css rule is controlling the background colour one could use the browsers built in developer tools to do so.

To learn how to isolate a css rule using the browser dev tools, simply do a search for -

'using [insert your browsers name] developer tools'.

Your other alternative if you know which element(s) in the html to target, is of course to create your own class to target the navbar and then change the color using that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina, that is a very helpful response.. Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

aytonwest   wrote

Web design is becoming increasingly devoid of any chance of creativity!!

To learn how to isolate a css rule using the browser dev tools, simply do a search for -

'using [insert your browsers name] developer tools'.

and spend the whole day, rather than actually developing, searching for style properties. A web-developer dependent on frameworks these days is becoming more of a researcher - spending more time trying to find properties applied to framework elements rather than actually doing any coding.........hummm. Personally I dont really want to spend my time doing that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am divided on your point of view, and this brings us back to a discussion that we had in another thread. Everything will depend on the size of the site, and the number of sites on which we are involved.

says differently if we work on one unique site ... and  if this site is relatively small (you was talking about a 20 pages web site) ... I share your point of view 100% ...

but... if, on the contrary, we are involved in multiple projects, or if the site is large enough to benefit from shared declarations, it may be beneficial in the medium term to surround ourselves with a framework. I do not specifically mention Bootstrap.

whatever the framework, the time spent to dissect and understand it will be quickly compensated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/B+i+r+n+o+u  wrote

I am divided on your point of view, and this brings us back to a discussion that we had in another thread. Everything will depend on the size of the site, and the number of sites on which we are involved.

says differently if we work on one unique site ... and  if this site is relatively small (you was talking about a 20 pages web site) ... I share your point of view 100% ...

but... if, on the contrary, we are involved in multiple projects, or if the site is large enough to benefit from shared declarations, it may be beneficial in the medium term to surround ourselves with a framework. I do not specifically mention Bootstrap.

whatever the framework, the time spent to dissect and understand it will be quickly compensated

If developers are making decisions based on complexity, need and teamwork, rather than driven by trends then I agree. Unfortuantely many follow trends regardless of if they are sensible to be used or not in a project, that's where I disagree totally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a framework (created internally by the team, or used as an external third party) is a mechanism that helps us to use and reuse more easily one or more fragment of codes, instead of having to reinvent them with every need. .. it can be grids, management of color swatches, being modules specific to an application, models of animations or transformation ... it is in this sense that I specified "... I do not specifically mention Bootstrap ... "

and I see that you have not grasped the depth of my thought .... anyway...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a framework (created internally by the team, or used as an external third party) is a mechanism that helps us to use and reuse more easily one or more fragment of codes, instead of having to reinvent them with every need. .. it can be grids, management of color swatches, being modules specific to an application, models of animations or transformation ... it is in this sense that I specified "... I do not specifically mention Bootstrap ... "

and I see that you have not grasped the depth of my thought .... anyway...

snippets of coding written for specific reasons by a good developer is perfectly ok, I use that workflow all the time for navbars, modals, slideshows, forms etc.....the differnce is I've wriiten the code I know exactly what everything does. Not least they are probably written with less code than what a framework produces, not many developers using an off the peg framework address the poor coding it produces, because they are in denial.

Its difficult to grasp the depth of your thoughts as they are so far removed from my own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt that very much, you DONT learn anything 'coloring by numbers' you just become a robot locked into an automated way of working which in my opinion lessens the possibly that you will explore the many different way and maybe better ways out there.

If you mean 'financial compensation' because you think its going to be quicker for some, perhaps. But not every developer is a 'pprostitute" or wants to be one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not getting into another discussion about custom vs bootstrap, (or whatever) but the browsers dev tools once one knows, (and remembers to) how to use them, are now much more simple to use than they were even 5 years ago. Initially learning how to use them does take time, but in general for finding a css property that is being applied one is taking in minutes, not hours.

I will agree with the OP wth the comment that creativity is becoming increasingly lacking. If that is down to the use of frameworks, the programs we use (eg Dreamweaver) or for some other reason, of which I can thing of a number of possibilities, is open to debate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pziecina  wrote

Initially learning how to use them does take time, but in general for finding a css property that is being applied one is taking in minutes, not hours.

There are much better ways now. In most software there will be a way to just select the css class in the code and you will get taken directly to the css selector. Of course the trouble with Bootstrap and any other framework is the 'drip down' its still not simple to know exactly what is going on, that doesnt happen if you write your own styling. I rarely if ever use the inspector tools, maybe apart from the javascrpt console. Again I personally think they are not needed for html/css and anyone using them is really using them because they are working in an envoiromnet they do not know much about.

In general where you have the choice its better to write your own html/css and know what everything does rather than as I say spend time scrolling up and down through an inspector window everytime you cant work out what is happening. There are two lines of thought these days....those devlopers that fully understand the code they are working with and those devlopers working blindly through it who keep bumping into obstacles, I couldnt work like that, if others can then they are a new generation and probably dont know any better. What youve never had you never miss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osgood_  wrote

Again I personally think they are not needed for html/css and anyone using them is really using them because they are working in an envoiromnet they do not know much about.

The trouble is that a lot of people are being told they should use a framework but not how to de-bug one. A quick search or read of this forum, or even Articles/books regarding Dw, will show that Dreamweaver = use bootstrap now. Information and help for anything but bootstrap is either rare, or none-existent.

osgood_  wrote

There are two lines of thought these days....those devlopers that fully understand the code they are working with and those devlopers working blindly through it who keep bumping into obstacles, I couldnt work like that, if others can then they are a new generation and probably dont know any better. What youve never had you never miss.

The other problem is, and we have discussed this numerous times, is the lack of support in many programs now for building custom sites. If a program is aimed at just the web developer/designer, then it includes a framework of some kind. If a program is for coders in general, (just a code editor) then it is missing so many features for web developers that one requires multiple other programs, (if they even exist).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the impression that you discover things ... we are in a society of "I want everything and immediately ... uh ... not expensive ... and without that I provide effort .. . "... in France we have an old job called the companions of duty. https: //www.compagnons-du-devoir.com / ... and many trades of yesteryear offered to apprentices to accompany an elder and to train with time and knowledge ...

today it is really difficult to find a carpenter, a builder, a zinc worker, a gardener, a farmer, a breeder, a cheese maker, a wine grower .... so what about developers ...

we are three grumpy old people chatting about a job well done, with certainly different approaches and sensibilities (and that's good) ... but we have been learning and making our profession for so many years. it was born while we were doing it ...

the five-legged sheep does not exist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the five-legged sheep does not exist

Sorry to disagree Birnou, but I was raised in a farming community, and I have actually seen a 'five-legged sheep'.

There is an old saying, "if it is possible for something to exist, then at some point, (in time and space) it will exist".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what... you do know my uncle BOB ?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the impression that you discover things ...

we are three grumpy old people chatting about a job well done, with certainly different approaches and sensibilities (and that's good) ... but we have been learning and making our profession for so many years. it was born while we were doing it ...

Yes, taking something that many are not even willing to consider using, and making it workable is what makes web development interesting. Too many developers/designers are stuck in 'old thinking', in that they have been told that 'this is how something is done', 'this is not usable', 'you cannot do that', a site should look like 'xyz', that they have become automatons in what they do.

As for three grumpy old people, that should be, three well preserved grumpy old people

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I like about learning web development is that the web is a living material that changes continuously, a bit like a metaball. still moving...

I remember having participated in the early 90s in a virtual café run by Peter Small for writing his book, the entrepreneurial web, where he said ...

there is a game where you are in a field and there is a hole, you are the thrower, and there is an observer ... you have to throw a ball in the hole ... and with each shot, the observer guides you ... too far, too far right, etc ... until you reach the hole ...

but the problem with the web ... is that the hole changes position with each shot .. so we must continually anticipate the chaos ... as I told you , it was eraly 90, at that time we just left the BBS and the web began to timidly point the tip of his nose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well no one has complained about us going of topic, so -

but the problem with the web ... is that the hole changes position with each shot .. so we must continually anticipate the chaos ...

The saying in the u/k, is - 'They keep changing the (position of) goalposts'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you know Peter Small, have you heard about him... he is british

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I have never heard of him.

The problem back then, was that everyone was either getting caught up in, or trying to work out, the best use of the web. Something we are still doing.

Most users and developers do not get involved in, and most do not even know about 90% of what the web is being used for. Large multi-million dollar projects are often closed to most users, but those projects are often the ones that pay the most and have the most innovation when it comes to web technologies being used.

At one time there was a lot of movement between such sites and the 'open to all' web, but now with the financial and job satisfaction of being self-employed or freelance going in a diminishing returns cycle, the exchange of new ideas and 'how too' is, (if not has) almost vanished. Even contracts of employment are now full of clauses that restrict developers exchanging ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes... I really like the chrome network and timeline tabs... they are so usefull and rich... it's amazing what they did there... amazing !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here again I do not share your opinion ... but it is also that which enriches the subject of our exchanges ...

I knew artists who created their own pigments, but I also knew artists who made music with factory sounds ... I think things are not just binary, true / false. ... I think they are going as far as our sensitivity allows us to granularize them.

using a framework does not systematically bind us to an industrial production mode ... nor robotized ... on the contrary I think that creativity can emerge from other aspects of production.

give a hammer to various people, some will use it to plant nails ... others will make a weapon ... there are those who will use it to keep a door ajar while there is wind ... others will make a work of art ... everything is not binary, nor inscribed in the marble ... let people express themselves without partitioning them in a box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines