• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crafting a Custom News Portal Page

Mentor ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This little showcase page was built for our customers to demonstrate the power of our extensions. It utilizes 2 automated slider widgets in a structure created with our Harmony Flexbox page layout tool:

Showcase

The entire page took less than a minute to create - not including content authoring.

Of course, an advanced coder should be able to cobble something similar together with Bootstrap and jQuery, but it would likely take a significant amount of time.

So, reminder....

Extensions are what made Dreamweaver. And while there are not too many quality developers left, there is PVII. We exist for small web design shops whose time must be judiciously allocated. We provide tools that work as timesavers for coders and lifesavers for non-coders.

Enjoy, if only for the inspiration.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing ALsp​.

Extensions is what Dreamweaver is all about and thankfully there are quality developers still out there that support its extensibilty.

I for one have appreciated the power of using extensions to reduce development time. This not only reduces costs but allows the project to be finished quicker - yesterday is always too late for the client. Win-win for all concerned.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really enjoyed reading the vertical scroll section, especially the 'massacre in 100 acre woods'. Thank you for brightening up my day .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Al,

I'm your customer from several years and I always loved your products but I suggest you to find an alternative to Dreamweaver because I think the end is very-very near (my opinion, of course).

Maybe a good idea could be to create a standalone product (maybe finding a collaboration with WebAssist for the dynamic behaviours) or ask to DMXzone to open Wappler at external extensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michele,

We made a decision a long time ago to keep PVII lean. Both Gerry and I have considerable experience in the corporate world, having managed large teams of employees. Because of this, PVII is set to subsist for another decade, at the least, past Dreamweaver's EOL. Heck, I just stopped using CS3 less than a year ago 🙂

We are perfectionists, too. I looked at what DMX Zone is doing and surmised that it would take us a team of 6 full-time programmers and at least a year to produce a Dreamweaver alternative that would meet our quality standards, which are quite different from those of others 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  ha scritto

We are perfectionists, too. I looked at what DMX Zone is doing and surmised that it would take us a team of 6 full-time programmers and at least a year to produce a Dreamweaver alternative that would meet our quality standards, which are quite different from those of others 🙂

Yes I know about the high quality of your extensions and this is the main reason because I love your products.

Another company that use a similar approach is WebAssist and this is the main reason because I suggest you to contact Ray Borduin, a tool with DataBridge integrated with all your products will be amazing.

DMXzone not have the same qualitative approach in development but Wappler is very interesting and I think it will have a lot of success in the near future but with your products would be super-amazing!

My two cents

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the complement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-Michele  wrote

DMXzone not have the same qualitative approach in development but Wappler is very interesting and I think it will have a lot of success in the near future

Depends how you determine 'success' - is that in financial terms or is it a tool which professionals will use? So far I have seen little evidence to convince me that Wappler is anything apart from a money making product for the developers of it aimed at the amatuer 'developer', of which there are millions of course.

It will find its place amongst the many other products which aim at that demographic, Pinegrow, Wix, Webflow etc as its innovative for sure but not in the sense its a professional web-development tool as no one who claims to be  professional will use it (unless appConnect suddenly becomes a Vue, React or Angular) - a main-steam and recognised workflow within the industry.

I think the kind of 'developer' that would be most likely to use Wappler is one that has become burnt-out over time, retired and finds it difficult to keep pace with all the new coding techniques and workflows which are constantly thrown at us each day (maybe even myself one day) or one that has no background in web-development and just want to spin out a website or two and then probably disappear after the initial excitment has dwindled.

I have used Wappler as a code editor and I can tell you its not very good at all at the moment (puts a lot of weird stuff in at times like dmxid="88834" - it seems to beocome easily confused, maybe I was coding too fast for it - but then again it was never meant to be a code editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-Michele  wrote

Another company that use a similar approach is WebAssist and this is the main reason because I suggest you to contact Ray Borduin, a tool with DataBridge integrated with all your products will be amazing.

DMXzone not have the same qualitative approach in development but Wappler is very interesting and I think it will have a lot of success in the near future but with your products would be super-amazing!

My two cents

Man, the best thing that happened to me was switching from WebAssist to DMXzone extensions a couple of years ago and I couldn't be happier

Not sure what you mean by DMXzone have not quotative approach, but their database tools (server and app connect) are the most advanced tools I've worked with in DW .... WA are not even close to what you can achieve with dmxzone and they (WebAssist) are still putting all the backend code on the front end ...  in 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for hijacking my thread.

I'm not concerned with either Web Assist or DMX Zone. I am concerned with my company's products as they relate to Dreamweaver users. We make client-side UI widgets and tools. We do not make data handling tools. And as far as UI widgets, we are, and have been the only Dreamweaver extension developer who write their own tools from scratch, instead of copying open source plugins and simply converting them to extensions. If you would like to discuss the merits of Web Assist versus DMX Zone server side tools, and both companies make some really good ones, then please start your own discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp

Looking at your showcase(s) and your website I think they (both) couldn't be uglier.

I've always wondered how could your website look so unprofessional, like you're still living in 90s, same as your showcases... fonts, colors, border radius...man seriously?

Sorry for highjacking your topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I accept your apology. I know sometimes it is difficult for non-native English speakers to write in English, but your efforts are (mostly)admirable. The icing on the cupcake would, of course, be to see your work. I would be most happy to get some design tips. I agree that using border-radius and flexbox are very 1990s. I feel humbled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  wrote

I know sometimes it is difficult for non-native English speakers to write in English, but your efforts are (mostly)admirable.

At least my website doesn't look like created by a 3rd grade kid, who uses a computer for the first time.

Take a look at the modern web and websites created nowadays and then take a look at your website and showcases - no difference, right?

It doesn't make any difference to me if you are using tables, floats, flexbox or CSS grids if your website looks so unprofessional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the kind words, William.

Still waiting to be inspired by your work.

Waiting...

Waiting...

Waiting...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My contracts are under NDAs so you can sit here wait like a few more years.

Most of my work is for big Swiss and German companies, politicians and hotel chains.

Still you just prefer not to accept your own 'high quality tools' website looks awful, same as for the showcases on this site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

williamj31276244  wrote

My contracts are under NDAs so you can sit here wait like a few more years.

Most of my work is for big Swiss and German companies, politicians and hotel chains.

Still you just prefer not to accept your own 'high quality tools' website looks awful, same as for the showcases on this site.

I accept that you think it's ugly

You really sadden me, though. The opportunity to learn from a master is not one you see every day... especially a master who toils for the Swiss and Germans by day, and still has the time to troll forums by night.

Pease, surely you have a testing domain of your own... you know, where you attract and inform these Swiss and German companies. Can't we have just a little peak? Please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really unfortunate. I'm not sure, but I think there are only a handful of things that human beings take on faith alone. I'm not sure if your design skills are one of them. I guess we'll never know just how good you are. It's a shame, really.

Well, good luck, and remember... if you ever encounter a troll online, feed him with reason and kindness. It could cause acid indigestion, or sometimes even...

Well, you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh...oh...

I thought it would be nice to showcase another epically ugly page from our horrific collection!

Here you go...

Art Gallery Magic Demos

This one is really, really, ugly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALsp  wrote

Oh...oh...

I thought it would be nice to showcase another epically ugly page from our horrific collection!

Here you go...

Art Gallery Magic Demos

This one is really, really, ugly.

Well that is exactly what i am talking about. You should really consider taking some (web)design course.

Man, look at these fonts/font combinations, look at the colors and color combinations, look at these borders (and these awful border radiuses everywhere!) and animations used in these galleries - seriously i can write a whole dissertation on how many levels that is awfully designed.

Then look at all the sites created by random web developers out there:  Nominees  - if you can't find any difference between your showcases/website and the thousands of websites listed in this link, then i have bad news fro you ... you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks William!

Much appreciated. And your English is getting better... a little. Good job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I was talking about this news portal that can be set up with a couple of cool extensions...

Aw, hell... never mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was Henry Thomas Buckle who, in 1901, said: "Great Minds Discuss Ideas; Average Minds Discuss Events; Small Minds Discuss People.

It was ALsp​ who, in 2018, introduced Art Gallery Magic Demos​.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes I wish there was a thumbs down button

:-1:

Edit: Not aimed at your posts - this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you have the modern or the Roman connotation in mind?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines