• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does anyone think this forum is an improvement?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The previous webforum/NNTP interface had roughly 90 percent of the questions coming from the webforum, and 90 percent of the mostly correct replies coming from the NNTP newgroup users.

The newsgroup users are for the most part NOT going to use this web forum.

so for the most part- there are 50 or 100 people who tried to offer help daily, who are not "in here" and won't participate because this web forum interface is just slow and clunky and flashy. We just want TEXT. NNTP. WORDS.

I've been ACE and TMM longer than i can remember. Not renewing.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

But you still asked it in this thread, as did the other user.  Give people a chance to get used to the new forum before you start sprouting on about how things should be done.

The question was asked to bring David back to the substance of this forum -- not to pollute a discussion that is already out of place in it.  Llke everyone, David is a  creature of habit.  Unlike everyone, he holds a leadership position in this forum and others and should be made aware of the bad example that he is setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This isn't the place for such arguments. The place for discussing what you love and hate about these forums is in the Forum Comments forum (http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments), which is closely monitored by Adobe employees who are in a position to make changes to the way things operate."

This is good input, but that link gives an error message that says Adobe is tired of getting input and now has deleted that thread.

Maybe having a nervous breakdown right here is our only choice.

Sigh.

I think everyone's frustration here can be illustrated on one point: I had posted a question about accessing the extensions manager on my computer without going through Dreamweaver and now have looked in the applications folder and the Dreamweaver folder in applications and utilites folder too, but no extensions manager is to be found. I wouldn't bring it up here, but I cannot find that original thread as it now has slipped into oblivion and even a search on keywords I know are in that thread does not bring it up.

That just shows me that if a thread is older than a few hours and has not been replied to since last looking at it, you are going to be lucky to ever see it again.

Again, This might be a fine forum format for those who post and don't care to go back to old conversations, but for professionals who want to carry on a conversation, it is not working.

Bottom Line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saskatchewanobie wrote:

I had posted a question about accessing the extensions manager on my computer without going through Dreamweaver and now have looked in the applications folder and the Dreamweaver folder in applications and utilites folder too, but no extensions manager is to be found.

In my MacBook Pro, the Extension Manager is listed at the top level of the Applications folder as Extension Manager CS4.

The Extension Manager is installed by default if you select the recommended configuration. However, if you decided to do a custom install to get rid of Bridge, Device Central, and other related programs, the Extension Manager will not have been installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That must be my problem. I have done no custom installations but I am working on a PowerBook G4. Maybe I have no option but to go through Dreamweaver. I'll wait to see if you have a comment on this before I do anything.

Thank You,

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2009 Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saskatchewanobie wrote:

I have done no custom installations but I am working on a PowerBook G4.

Dreamweaver CS4 is not supported on a PowerBook G4. If you're referring to CS3, however, the Extension Manager should also be in your Applications folder. If you're still having problems, I suggest you start a separate thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David_Powers wrote:

Saskatchewanobie wrote:

I had posted a question about accessing the extensions manager on my computer without going through Dreamweaver and now have looked in the applications folder and the Dreamweaver folder in applications and utilites folder too, but no extensions manager is to be found.

In my MacBook Pro, the Extension Manager is listed at the top level of the Applications folder as Extension Manager CS4.

The Extension Manager is installed by default if you select the recommended configuration. However, if you decided to do a custom install to get rid of Bridge, Device Central, and other related programs, the Extension Manager will not have been installed.

What does this exchange have to do with the topic of this discussion.

Rather than being part of the problem, David, why do you not become a part of the solution.

Roddy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roddy-  why are you butting into outside conversations to act as a Strict Moderator?

You keep saying posts don't belong here or there-  Or further conversation is off-topic.

In this situation- a person said THEY CAN'T FIND their original post asking for help on a particular problem.

David replied with a pretty much full solution. One post inside this thread. It did not hijack- it pointed up a problem one user is having here which is the subject that I started this thread with.

WHY should they be chided to move on or repost or even -shudder- have some Mod erase or move their posts to some different areas where it really will never be found.

They are reasonable adults acting like helpful reasonable humans.

Please do the same yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the real blu wrote:

WHY should they be chided to move on or repost or even -shudder- have some Mod erase or move their posts to some different areas where it really will never be found.

They are reasonable adults acting like helpful reasonable humans.

Firstly, this entire discussion does not belong in this forum.

Secondly, the exchange between David and the user does not belong in this discussion.

Thirdly, as a forum leader David should honor forum protocol.  He is setting a poor example for others to follow.

Fourthly, there is a reasonable alternative called private email to which everyone has access.

Fifthly, I have been informed by at least one monitor that they are already swamped with work and that we should not expect a lot of intervention on their part at this time.

Finally, it is difficult for me to understand why you have even called me on my intervention here when you have repeatedly taken the liberty to disrupt my post in regard to SVG roundies even after being asked to desist.

Roddy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IN the SVG roundies thread- someone has ERASED all replies to you.

I will defend every word i have ever written here and on the adobe or macromedia newsgroup.

But if I'm in a place that will erase my words-  It is just pointless to type because i cannot defend my words if they don't exist anymore.

You win because i can't defend myself and present everlasting google groups links that show what a complete *************************** you were. You complained to some overworked forum MOD who is trying to implement this new system that someone hurt your feelings and got them to erase INFORMATION from here.

Please do a google search for "welcome to the internet" by redpaw.

You've posted a photo, and I have photoshop. Now where is that goat photo....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the real blu wrote:

You win because i can't defend myself and present everlasting google groups links that show what a complete *************************** you were. You complained to some overworked forum MOD who is trying to implement this new system that someone hurt your feelings and got them to erase INFORMATION from here.

I did not know that the entries were deleted, but if they have been I am glad.  That means that my complain finally made it through.

In regard to your above remark it is neither about my feelings, nor my interest to win or even engage in a flame war with you; rather, it has to do with accomplishing the business of this forum -- something that you and several others do not appear to be very keen on.

Roddy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a tiny bit active in providing help for dreamweaver users for a few months.

Something you do not understand is that a forum does not exist by little piseees pants squealers running to a Mod to complain about someone else's reply to them

Wondering what words made it through the bot filter and if i should just type Foghat Underground Cloud Klink Year Outside Underground.

You don't get it, but you have complained so much to the mods that i am "abusing" you

Stand up- this isn't even a slapfest compared to a real open debate.

You got my words deleted.

I am deleting adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kiusau wrote:

What does this exchange have to do with the topic of this discussion.

So why did you earlier ask David about *your* problem in this same thread... give a rest Roddy.  If you can't find the answer to your very pressing <span> </span> problem, it may be time to try and find the solution elsewhere.  This is not necessarily a DW question, it's a css question, so other forums may be able to offer you the help you keep seeking.

Nadia

--------------------------------------------------

Unique CSS Templates |Tutorials |SEO Articles

http://www.DreamweaverResources.com

--------------------------------------------------

Book: Ultimate CSS Reference

http://www.sitepoint.com/launch/005dfd4/3/133

---------------------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/nadiap

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nadia Perre wrote:

So why did you earlier ask David about *your* problem in this same thread... give a rest Roddy.  If you can't find the answer to your very pressing <span> </span> problem, it may be time to try and find the solution elsewhere.  This is not necessarily a DW question, it's a css question, so other forums may be able to offer you the help you keep seeking.

When the question was asked, it was made in reference to another post, and David was asked to refer to that post when responding.

You may be right about my finding answers to my questions elsewhere.  I have several alternatives in mind.  Should I remain, however, I do not believe that anyone would refuse to answer a question related to CSS, HTML, and JavaScript -- the three pillars necessary for success with Dreamweaver.

Roddy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kiusau wrote:

When the question was asked, it was made in reference to another post, and David was asked to refer to that post when responding.

But you still asked it in this thread, as did the other user.  Give people a chance to get used to the new forum before you start sprouting on about how things should be done.

I have several alternatives in mind.  Should I remain, however, I do not believe that anyone would refuse to answer a question related to CSS, HTML, and JavaScript -- the three pillars necessary for success with Dreamweaver.

I'm sure people probably wouldn't mind answering those type of questions, they have done so in the past. There comes a point however, when someone overdoes the 'asking' and may never get a response that suits them.  How long have you been asking the same/similar question though (I can vaguely remember you asking this while NNTP was still alive).

If you can't get the answer here, try the alternative forums you say you have found, I'm sure they'll love to have you  😛

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question was asked to bring David back to the substance of this forum -- not to pollute a discussion that is already out of place in it.  Llke everyone, David is a  creature of habit.  Unlike everyone, he holds a leadership position in this forum and others and should be made aware of the bad example that he is setting.

Nadia Perre wrote:

I'm sure people probably wouldn't mind answering those type of questions, they have done so in the past. There comes a point however, when someone overdoes the 'asking' and may never get a response that suits them.  How long have you been asking the same/similar question though (I can vaguely remember you asking this while NNTP was still alive).

I believe that you have me confused with someone else, as I first began experimenting with rounded corners only several days ago.  If the response to my questions about their use is any indication of the forum's knowledge in this matter, then I have already made an important contribution with each additional entry to my original post.

Nadia Perre wrote:

If you can't get the answer here, try the alternative forums you say you have found, I'm sure they'll love to have you  😛

I am sorry, but the expression 😛 is not part of my technical vocabulary.

Roddy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kiusau wrote:

Llke everyone, David is a  creature of habit.  Unlike everyone, he holds a leadership position in this forum and others and should be made aware of the bad example that he is setting.

I'll let others decide whether I'm setting a good or bad example.

In the meantime, I recommend that you (and everyone else) read the Forum Etiquette and Best Practices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Saskatchewanobie...

The link works... problem was the closing bracket... here it is again for you :

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

Cheers...

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is a massive step backwards

the nntp forums worked well

this is just clunky, slow and a hinderance

wake up adobe and smell the coffee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It truly sucks....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting....

The question has been marked as answered.... and the winner is none other than our own, dear kiusua aka 'hot rod' roddy!

Can we all please give him a round of applause? Well done roddy, we're all proud of you... You truly are a shining example! A beacon, as it were, for all of us.

And, unless i am mistaken, the award was conferred by none other than 'the real blu'...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He got a post of mine ERASED in the SVG roundies thread. When i pointed it out here and complained loudly but i think politely that people were erasing what i type- THAT thread was erased.

really. Who is the large thumbed moderator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

correction- my post in this thread wasn't deleted, i simply couldn't find it.

Still don't know or care if my post about having the word "milk pail" synonym gets filtered to asterisks because it has the letters uuhh and ccc then kay in sequence still exists. Side note on that issue- any forum app that tries to use a bad words filter will just cause people to get creative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jhabrix wrote:

And, unless i am mistaken, the award was conferred by none other than 'the real blu'...

Is there is something that could be called "misleading pink", then it would be this:

I'll let others decide whether I'm setting a good or bad example.

In the meantime, I recommend that you (and everyone else) read the Forum Etiquette and Best Practices.

Roddy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These forums have many on edge. Even the folks at Adobe have probably gotten the idea.

I feel anything more I could contribute to this discussion would be unproductive at this point.

Thanks David for your undieing willingness to help others with issues you understand so well.

How often can one have the help of the actual author of a book? Since the answer to that is "almost never" I think we should all be grateful or be quiet.

IMHO,

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% agreement Ken, and deepest gratitude to all the other old guard experts who make my life work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines