Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver CC slow typing performance [ awfully slow ]

Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I updated my Dreamweaver CC last week trough the cloud, and all of a sudden Dreamweaver feels slow and i cant even see the characters i am typing in realtime.

For a programmer , needing Dreamweaver on a daily base, this is rather annoying.

The code is 8000+ lines long, but it all went well before the update. I tried smaller scripts ( 2000+ and 5000+ lines ) and it behaves the same.

I tried a empty document and it does lag slightly ( even if there is no code ) as well.

Please do somoething about this, as it is a no go for my company. We have 4 other guys that are experiencing the same problem and mind you, we are all paying our CC monthly fee.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Dec 17, 2013 Dec 17, 2013

Hi ,

We are happy to inform you that DW's next update is made available today. This update has a fix for the slow typing issues in DW  Please install & let us know your thoughts

Code View performance improvements

The following bugs are fixed to improve the Dreamweaver performance in Code View:

• Typing gets progressively slow as the number of lines of code increases.
  • Cursor (IP) disappears while typing and navigating in Code View.
  • Dreamweaver Crashes on closing a tag by entering </ in Code

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 186 Replies 186
Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My DW is still very slow, specially with long Tables in Design view.

DW CC 2015 Build 7698

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2015 Feb 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using build 6982 on a 32Gb iMac, and after a short period of time DW crawls to a standstill - if I hadn't bought a new mac I'd have stuck with DW8 - no hassles what so ever… common Adobe, sort this out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if mac & windows builds are aligned but I am using windows and the latest build I have is 6981 (yesterday) which seems to be just fine now. Maybe fix in next build for Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having spent 30 mins to Adobe, I'm going to go back to CS6 version...

Their answer is to keep creating new accounts to run DW CC in… so when it starts slowing down again, I JUST have to create a new account on my mac !!!!!!!!!

CS6 runs a dream - so far...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I had it, this didn't work.

Mac version...

--Update to latest Dreamweaver CC Build 6982

--Installed JavaSE6 from someone's recommendation

--Unchecked use remote servers for all sites.

--Rebooted

--Restarted and held keys to Reset preferences

--Thought it was fixed last night, ran fast. I could edit locally again.

Then I Powered off.

UGH. Powered up next morning (today) and now it's 5 seconds between clicks for it to respond. Same as before.

Adobe it's been over 4 months since we started complaining.

Or should I just check back in another 4 months?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2015 Apr 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been going on since Dreamweaver CS 5 at least. This and another (closed) thread are two years old.

Here's my example:

In Design view on a page with a long numbered list, scrolling with the Magic Mouse brings Dreamweaver to its knees and sends its CPU usage up near 100. Flicking my Magic Mouse causes the page to scroll very slowly in jerks. A duplicate of the page with less text in paragraphs, but all the same other elements is less slow, but there's still a noticeable delay in scrolling or selecting text or double clicking a word.

Thinking this might have been an issue with my old css or the old Spry menu or something leftover in the html or imported into the site, I started from scratch.

I created a new, empty site. I created a new css file with nothing added after creation. I then created a new 2-column html 5 page and attached it to that mostly blank css. I edited the page in Code view by copying and pasting some of the explanatory paragraphs in one of the sections. This was just to make it long enough to require scrolling. I made no other changes. There's no server assigned.

This file has the same problem. Long delay in selecting several words. Long delay in double clicking a word. Flicking the mouse causes the page to scroll very slowly scroll in jerks, and causes CPU use to spike.

I have no issues in Code view or in the file browser, only in Design view.

Dreamweaver 2014.1.1 6982

5K retina iMac with a 4G i7, 32 GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB, 3T Fusion drive with less than 1 T used. But it looks the same as previously when using Dreamweaver CS 6 on a 2010 27" i7 iMac with 16 GB RAM. No other app on my iMac has any such problem.

Is it possible that this is a java problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2015 Apr 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I've solved the problem with very slow behavior in Design view.

I created a new Test User and opened a problem html file. The file behaved normally, with no slow scrolling or typing.

I copied Dreamweaver CC prefs from that account to my shared folder.

Back in my usual user, I replaced the Dreamweaver CC prefs file with the newly created one.

Yes, this is the simplest, first stop solution to problems one user has when others don't. But I don't see how Dreamweaver CC picked up an old or corrupted prefs file, as I completely uninstalled Dreamweaver CS 6 before installing CC.

It may work just as well to merely delete the Dreamweaver CC prefs when Dreamweaver is not on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2015 Apr 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am also seeing this issue on windows 7 with version 2014.1.1 build 6981. It is almost impossible to work in the software now.

I did open a test user and the problem did seem to be better but I need to better investigate how to share files between users on a PC.

Are the steps mentioned by stephenhart@mac.com post 130 in reference to  a mac or PC?

Thanks

Rose

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2015 Mar 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

COMMENT OUT CSS, WILL WORK AS NEEDED..  PAIN IN THE ASS TO CONCLUDE THIS, BUT IT WORKS.  TEST AND SEE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2015 Jun 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So today it's already June 22 and still same problem with Dreamweaver CC 2015 !!!

I thought it was a problem with my old notebook Dell PC, so I buy a new computer, iMac 27" i5, 8Gb and still it's awfully SLOW!!!!!!

I can't work like this!

Why I have to pay for so bad "NEW" version of Dreamweaver ??????

I have to go back to my old and working good Dreamweaver CS5,5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2015 Jul 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.  (DW CC 2015 Build 7698)

I'm having the same issue. It's practically impossible for me to work on a table (and that's a major component of what I do for one site) as there's a several second lag in even clicking on an element.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny how it's always the "next release" which will solve the most rudimentary of technical glitches...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

true.

In my case, I had "upgraded" from CS 5 to CC 2015. Everything else in CC is running just fine....except Dreamweaver. I do some research and find out that it's not me....it's the program and this is just 'par for the course.'

Adobe....I'm looking at you for an answer now.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here...

Dreamweaver CC, version 2015.0 7714 Build

Mac Pro OSX 10.10.4

2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

16 GO 1066 Mhz DDR3 ECC

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512Mo

With SSD Hard-drive

I used dreamweaver for several years now, I've never had so many problems with this program since the update on the creative cloud.

When i change my websites, the program freeze during 30sec to 2 minutes.

When i type some code on the panel "code" on random occasions and 5 to 10 times a day, the program will freeze for about 30sec to 2 minutes.

Same when i copy paste some code.

After checking my console i had found an error wich comes almost always after all freezes :

Dreamweaver: Internals of CFAllocator not known; out-of-memory failures via CFAllocator will not result in termination. htt://crbug.com/45650

I've googled but found nothing hepful on the subject.

Can the DW support or anyone else help me with this ?

Thanks and have a nice day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello lucienm89328295,

I'm part of the Dreamweaver Engg team and would like to take a look at your issue.

If you are okay to join a remote session with us, please drop me an email at subbaner@adobe.com

-Subhadeep

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this slow typing issue been resolved? There is no way I am going to commit to a year of DW if this persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I almost "upgraded" to CC2015 (having made the expensive mistake of buying a CC2014 subscription), but upon discovering that there was the same issue as CC2014 I carried on with DW CS6 - I can't believe that this issue of slow response has been on-going for so long...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I worked with Adobe tech support for some time on this and I'm hoping that they found an answer(s).

Double check your code to make sure that DW isn't flagging something as incorrect (tags that need closing, etc).

Try defining a new site (using your same files). What this does is create a new cache for the site. My understanding is that sometimes (esp with sites with lots of code and/or pages) the cache can get corrupted and cause the lag.  I worked with a file in my "problematic" file yesterday, and although there was some lag in one instance, it was better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I along with others have tried new sites, started some simple coding and the issue usually rears its ugly head...

I'm not looking for a half-arsed fix that only works sometimes I want a proper fix - this issue isn;t present in CS6...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2015 Sep 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i also joined a discussion under:

CSS causing Dreamweaver CC 2014 to run slow

My environment:

DW 2015.0bld7714 on OSX 10.10.5.

Situation just the same: "design" and "split" view start to crawl when editing even simple HTML pages, as soon as:

- HTML table(s) used

- CSS used

- "View" => "Style Rendering" => "Display Styles" used.

- As soon as "Display Styles" is checked off, the issue is gone.

- As soon as no tables are involved, everything is fine.

The last proposal by ADOBE Support to update to 2015.0bld7714 helped substantially, but as i now returned to use the feature again and tables grew beyond an empty 10-cell table, the document gets more and more uneditable with any row/column added to the table.

A current html file having 3 tables, one of which with 13x6 cells is almost uneditable.

I made sure to have the HTML code completely error free.

I also checked off any additional code rewriting, highlighting etc. - everything i hoped i twould reduce the load...

I thought the issue is rooted in the lackluster performance of my 2009 MacBook Pro (Core2Duo, 8GB RAM), but testing the same configuration an an i7 quad core MacBookPro (2014) did almost not change the situation at all.

So basically i'm back to where i started.

I hope this will be deemed serious enough by ADOBE to get sorted out with the next release?

I now suffer since CS6 is gone, and seriously consider to switch to Win7 and SharePoint-Designer - an awful alternative, but blazing fast (Core 2 Duo as well) and it's easier to compensate it's shortcomings than to cope with a Dreamweaver as it is right now and which drives me crazy any time i use it.

Best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2015 Sep 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this is no solution for DW but try Adobe's open source editor, Brackets.

You won't believe how fast it is.

Brackets - A modern, open source code editor that understands web design.

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2015 Sep 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Nancy,

thanks for your proposal.

Brackets is a very interesting coding tool, and i already use it.

But for some of my use cases (technical documentation, often adding or modifying content, at times complex - lots of escaped characters), i depend on a WYSIWYG editor, in order not to have to scan that cluttered "code" each time. Just s.th. to get the job done...

That's been the strength of Dreamweaver, it offered the complete package: WYSIWYG, but also fully fledged coding tool.

It simply would be great if it would return to what it once was...

Best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We recently investigated this issue with a user, and reinstalling Dreamewaver fixed the issue. However, use this as the last option. Try restoring preferences and validating your code first.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have totally reinstalled the OS twice, installed CC2014 and found it excruciatingly slow, then up graded to CC2015 and had the same issues. I retro-graded to CS6 which works fine apart from the crappy upload issue... - I'm now paying £15 per month to use OLD software and my Mac isn't running out of memory with 32Gb installed - unless there is a HUGE memory leak in DW CC...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Darrell,

Send me your Adobe ID, location, and phone number over a private message. Click my picture and use the message option. We will get in touch with you for investigation.

Thanks,

Preran

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines