• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DW and JPEG 2000

Engaged ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does DW (any version) support JPEG 2000? The reason I ask is that Google SEO suggested JPEG 2000 rather than JPG to speed up pageloads but my antediluvian version of DW doesn't recognize .jpf files.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The short answer is don't use JPEG 2000 for your website images, read more about browser support and other issues here

Paul-M - Community Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Why on earth would google SEO recomend this? (Shakes head, and continues to use the Mighty Duck)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @VL Branko,

Long time no-see.   Happy new year!

If you look carefully at the recommendation, Google tells developers in their Lighthouse Opportunities report to use all 3 Next-Gen Image Formats with fallbacks for non-supporting browsers.

In truth, Google's image darling at the moment is WebP which Chrome supports.  But Chrome doesn't support either of the fallbacks.  So use your best judgement and take whatever Google says with a healthy measure of salt.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Nancy,

It has been a busy last 2 years for me, moving to the opposite of the world and then the pandemic thing.

Thank you for that Google recomendations. I can't remember exactly where I read it but it had to do with Google webmaster and they said some of my pages loaded too slow for their taste and made recomendations like using JPEG 2000.

But back to my original question, do any current versions of  DW CC support JPEG 2000? I ask because my old version of DW wont allow me to select a  JPEG 2000 image so I was wondering if newer versions did or not.

For now I will just use smaller JPGs.

Still holding on changing versions of DW because I am in the middle of other projects and don't want to change machines, OS or software because it would cause a distraction I don't need. Though eventually I will have to bite the bullet. Hard to resist the tempaption of getting a MBP running an M1 chipset but I did for said reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"But back to my original question, do any current versions of DW CC support JPEG 2000?"

========

Yes & no.  In DW 2021 (latest), I can indeed insert a JPEG 2000 image into code view.  Be sure to select Insert > Image (all file types).  I just can't view it in Live or Design view because DW uses a Chrome emulator.  And Chrome doesn't support JPEG 2000 files.  

Photoshop does offer SaveAs options for JPEG 2000 but not for WebM.  So as usual, Adobe is falling behind the web curve again.

I well understand not upgrading right away.  It's always a gamble.  Good luck when the time comes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Nancy,

Just to get myself psychologically prepared for the inevitable, does Adobe have any training material to get one started on the newest versions of DW, etc. So that when I do make the leap it is not a complete shock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The DW Team has been focusing less on new features and more on bug fixes lately.  So there's not much difference between version 2021 and vers 2020, 2019 or 2018 before it.   Unless you're still using legacy Creative Suite, I don't think you'll have any trouble picking up where you left off.

Adobe's online tutorials and user guide are available for reference, Help Menu (F1).

https://helpx.adobe.com/support/dreamweaver.html?mv=product&mv2=dw 

I also understand the latest DW Classroom in a Book is due to be released on January 29th.  Amazon is accepting pre-orders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Unless you're still using legacy Creative Suite" guilty as charged. For me it works, but in  future it wont.

Thanks I will take a look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen the recommendations in Google Lighthouse too with its suggestions of using http2 etc.

As long as your images are optimised for the size of the image dimensions you specify, you should be fine.

Using photoshop export as jpeg with preset quality high or 60 has worked for 20 years so far.

Page speed is something I am very keen on too.

- "Good English is an Art."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I assume you mean Photoshop CC's File > Export > Export As panel and NOT the legacy Save For Web which is garbage.

Assuming the JPG contains sufficient pixels for the target device (1x, 2x, 3x..), reducing Quality slider can significantly reduce file size without adversely effecting picture quality.  In this example, my original is 2.5MB but my compressed JPG is well under 100KB.  And reducing total pixels (W x H) will further reduce file size for smaller devices that may have low bandwidth data plans.

image.png

Using Responsive Images.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/HTML/Multimedia_and_embedding/Responsive_images

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines