• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HELP ! XML parsing fatal error: Invalid document structure, line:1, file:C\Users

Participant ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many years ago (after evening classes) I downloaded Dreamweaver CS 5.5 and made my one and only webite which is used for my wife's small business.
I tried to open DW this morning and was met with this message which means absolutey nothing to me.
Does anyone have any advice - in really clear terms - as to how I go about correcting the problem. 
Many thanks

Paul

Dreamweaver.JPG

TOPICS
Error , Other

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Yep, the path in your most recent screenshot is correct.

Once renamed, restart DW and it will create a new folder in the same location that should come with a new Designer.xml file and allow the program to run correctly..

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the Configuration folder and rename it as Configuration_backup. Restart Dreamweaver.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ben
Following your advice I should rename the arrowed folder shouldn't I  ?
Paul

configuation.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO!!

That is NOT the correct configuration folder and will break DW completely if changed/removed.

Follow the steps I posted to get to the correct configuration folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To do what Ben suggests...

1. Turn on your Operting System's Hidden Folders. You can do a quick search for "view hidden folders Windows (your version)" in Google for the exact method for your operating system.

2. Go to the path in your screen capture (C > Users > your username > AppData > Roaming > Adobe > Dreamweaver (version) > your language > Configuration). The AppData folder in that path is normally hidden and inaccessible without doing Step 1.

3. Rename Configuration to Configuration_old

4. Open DW

What this will do is force DW to create a new, clean configuration folder, which includes a new Designer.xml file that should be free of corruptions.

EDIT: DO NOT rename the configuration folder in the Program Files location. That will disable DW permanently. The correct path has been added to the steps above for clarity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Jon, I'm VERY grateful ! You stopped a major mistake being made.
I believe that I have the correct path and Configuration folder which needs to be renamed to Configuration_old ?
Thanks once more - and for your patience.
Paul

Dreamweaver2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, the path in your most recent screenshot is correct.

Once renamed, restart DW and it will create a new folder in the same location that should come with a new Designer.xml file and allow the program to run correctly..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fantastic. Thank you very much for your advice Jon, I'm very grateful.
Thanks, Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines